• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken is getting meme'd on

Konnor

This type of dialogue narration where it tries to emulate teenage talk is endemic in all forms of media; the problem is is that they all sound the same - like they were written by the same exact person. The fact that this game is being meme’d the way it is shows how creatively bankrupt the writing truly is. I feel like I hear this type of narration in so many tv shows, games, and YA novels. It’s so fucking cringe and lacks originality.

There's a reason for this, almost everything produced by the cult has the same generic and annoying tone to it. Plus the characters more often than not reflect their obnoxious personalities which makes every terrible story they write even more annoying.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
First CHAOS then this. Square Enix has been unintentional comedy gold this year. Wonder if they’ll show anything else that can top this (my guess is KH4)

Doesn't look particularity bad or good, but uhh, is there some red flags other than it's probably very bad writing and story? Like was it in dev hell or something for awhile? I havent really been following.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Doesn't look particularity bad or good, but uhh, is there some red flags other than it's probably very bad writing and story? Like was it in dev hell or something for awhile? I havent really been following.
No. It looks like they took FFXV and just kept working on the same code. Similar large flashy spells as FFXV, with more of them. Fleshed out the stupid warping into a different traversal system. Hired western writers to do the rest.

b0uncyfr0

Obviously aimed towards the younger crowd but it wasn't bad.. kinda.

The visuals made up for it.

Last edited:

saintjules

To me, this game is just another open world action game with a character with magic powers blasting away enemies with big particle effects. Not the best nor worst I've seen. Game is getting hated on more than usual.

The thing I always look more into with open world games like this and HFW is how empty/lifeless the world is. It can be a turn off pretty quickly.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I wonder what the PR offices look like today for this game.
Engagement is up on social media! Pre-orders up 9% in the 10-14 female demo! Nail polish pre-order bonus is generating all kinds of buzz on insta. Word is Paramount+ is interested in a pilot. Panera is on me today team! Email me your orders by 10am.

mikeysdeli

Neo Member
People love that shit in Marvel movies, I don't see a big difference tbh.

The last Spider-Man was almost 3 hours of cringe talk and people applauded at the end of the movie.
Comic book writing has been like this for decades now, the type who still read weekly marvel love it still. I guess people are attached to the characters.

This game just seems like they hired Netflix teen drama writers

mortal

Gold Member
The memes are pretty funny and harmless.

Tbh this is probably the best marketing the game has ever received up until now.

nkarafo

Well, they always say there's no such thing as bad publicity? At least people are finally talking about the game in their eyes.

This works with bad products. Not with cringe.

Cringe is way worse than simply being bad.

Engagement is up on social media! Pre-orders up 9% in the 10-14 female demo! Nail polish pre-order bonus is generating all kinds of buzz on insta. Word is Paramount+ is interested in a pilot. Panera is on me today team! Email me your orders by 10am.
These topics get out of hand with posts like these because you target women in a negative way as if that’s somehow the problem.

MMaRsu

Banned
Asked the same question in another Forspoken thread. I didn't think it was justified either, as no one was attacking or insulting each other, everyone was just expressing their displeasure towards a cringy game.
Question was deleted 1 minute later, but this was the answer :
S0s8RcW.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if this thread will be closed as well.
Ridiculous, the commercial is what is low effort.

If I can get through all of Fenyx Rising while listening to the most cringe characters and jokes for that many hours, this should be no problem.
You kinda got a point. I'm not all the way through it, but I've withstanded over 20 hours so far.
Tbf though Fenyx has pretty great combat and puzzles. This game just looks like moving in circles and spamming spells.

No I'm not lol. I'm honing in on the marketing, the pre-order bonus, and the dialogue style.

And I'll have you know that almost all my jokes suck, regardless of gender/sex.
Let’s say they do want young women to play the game, why is that an issue? This could end up being an entry level game for people who wouldn’t have normally approached something of this scale.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Let’s say they do want young women to play the game, why is that an issue? This could end up being an entry level game for people who wouldn’t have normally approached something of this scale.
I didn't say it was an issue? I said that's probably what marketing is looking at based on that ad. I could see speaking in that juvenile way like in the trailer appealing to people who speak like that (young teenage girls). Isn't the whole point of diverse representation to appeal to a more diverse audience? But pointing that out means that I'm sexist when that's literally the whole point of doing it? The game also literally has a nail polish pre-order bonus.

You are walking around with some weird chip on your shoulder and are not understanding what I was even saying apparently. Your reading comprehension sucks. BOOM, reversal.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
the attention of this meme bring could either be good, or bad for the game.

we will see how it goes in next few days
I hope they start accusing the haters of being racist/sexist butthurt man-children. I would enjoy watching the shitstorm play out. It’d probably be more entertaining than actually playing the game.

I always liked Amy Hennig's writing so I will reserve my judgment until we see more of the game, to me it just seem like SE botching the marketing.

People seem to have it out for this game but I still think it could be good, the delays is what gets me a little worried, feels like we should be playing this already.

Agree with you.

Halo Infinite was also meme'd hard but turned out to be a masterpiece.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
How Dare You Greta GIF

Make a joke. You people need to relax. This joke is a joke and it isn't a good joke it is just a joke.

I said You PEOPLE......All of you.

Is it the female power fantasy to be completely insufferable as a person and still be wanted, needed and adored? Female characters these days all start out 'amazing' and have little to no development. The struggle for them is never physical, always emotional. Things that would be difficult for even the most capable guy are trivial to them. In modern media a 'strong' woman just acts and behaves exactly the same as a guy. Feminine character traits are completely abandoned and not integrated into the characters at all. This typically leaves them completely unlikeable and difficult to relate to. As long as they are never afraid, tell bad jokes and can successfully emasculate the surrounding men then I guess that fits the archetype of modern female characters. The fact that the the terrible voice actor of this game also played the insufferable, arrogant and downright dislikeable Jade in the recent RE travesty tells me everything.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Is it the female power fantasy to be completely insufferable as a person and still be wanted, needed and adored? Female characters these days all start out 'amazing' and have little to no development. The struggle for them is never physical, always emotional. Things that would be difficult for even the most capable guy are trivial to them. In modern media a 'strong' woman just acts and behaves exactly the same as a guy. Feminine character traits are completely abandoned and not integrated into the characters at all. This typically leaves them completely unlikeable and difficult to relate to. As long as they are never afraid, tell bad jokes and can successfully emasculate the surrounding men then I guess that fits the archetype of modern female characters. The fact that the the terrible voice actor of this game also played the insufferable, arrogant and downright dislikeable Jade in the recent RE travesty tells me everything.
Maybe the Bangle is going to nag you like a woman will nag a man. Turn the tables on the women. "why haven't you beaten this boss yet?" "you don't have to collect that", "I asked you to do that thing a while ago".

Top Bottom