• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken gameplay overview trailer (10 minutes)

Wohc

Banned
The gameplay looks solid and some of the graphics look good, but that's it. Still looks like a 7/10 game to me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I cant stand scan faces in games, this especially becomes more problem when in none important cutscenes the faces looks super stiff and awkward.

Jennings

Oh dammit, I keep getting tricked by this game and thinking it's coming to Xbox when it isn't. I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with the eventual scorching hot NSFW cosplays and rule34 content that the fans put out.

Wohc

Banned
Oh dammit, I keep getting tricked by this game and thinking it's coming to Xbox when it isn't. I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with the eventual scorching hot NSFW cosplays and rule34 content that the fans put out.
Wasn't Forspoken that game with "at least 2 years" or something like that? So never say never. If it sucks, i bet it hits Game Pass in 2 years, if Sony doesn't buy SE.

Hugare

It's made by the same people that made FF XV alright

Technically amazing, but huge amounts of bland, boring looking landscapes, bad dialogue and bad quest designs (following a cat ...)

Outside of the city, it looks like it was made by one person using Unreal Engine assets.

Magic looks good, the traversal system also looks fun, but everything else ...

Also the UI is horrible

Last edited:

Elios83

Looks great, the world is really impressive, magic seems to be really impactful and the gameplay is much more polished than before.
Perfect game for January.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
The fighting sequences look like Final Fantasy XV dialed up to 11, for which I'm not complaining.

Those facial animations on the quest-giving NPC look pretty bad though.

Seriously...that Cipal city looks boring, bland, empty.
The combat looks much better though...but everything else looks like a tech demo.

I'm still waiting for the real game to show up.

Best Forspoken showing by far...but no way i'm buying this at full price.
dude 100%! been saying that since reveal. the whole thing looks like a character creation tech demo. like something someone with skills could put together in Dreams. the "world" is just a flat square with walls, "mountains", on the sides. the sky is an afterthought. i still can't figure out where i stand on this one. just doesn't seem like there's much depth to it other than the myriad of spells.

BreakOut

I think the luminous engine is truly awesome. I know it has its issues, and hopefully a lot of them are fixed with solid-state drives. But I feel like the way it is able to scale things can’t be done on any other engine. Even in Final Fantasy 15, the characters, the car, the city and even the roads. Everything felt like it was the right size. The character next to the car was slightly taller, the road even from an angle matched what I would expect. I don’t know if anyone else has noticed it. But I’m really glad they are using it and working on it. I’m really glad they didn’t just dump it and go with unreal everywhere. Unreal is an amazing engine, (matrix) so don’t get me wrong. But I like to see games also running on different engines and really having unique looks.

jaysius

Banned
This doesn't look great at all, the voice acting is bottom of the barrel, the graphics look a bit rough still. Some very empty environments.

I think there is the "this is a Playstation exclusive" effect like Deathpoop had pre-launch where the Sony fans are rallying around it simply for that reason.

b0uncyfr0

Hmm, this one might have potential. Its def gave me some infamous vibes (i never played it so im hoping this is worthwhile)

Good:
Combat - diverse and fast
The Efx are terrific
Traversal looks awesome

Not good
I saw some pop in, in quite a few places (Trees, shadows). Not significant but we wont know the extent until played. Would be great to not have them
Textures look abit dated and bland in some areas (Main city, the ground). Indoors arent great either.
Dialogue if very very Meh.
Lip syncing/facial animation (at least from that fat lady) is not a thing.
Im geting some Ubi vibes - aka 'scan and go there to do things'.

Bad
That city looked bland af - nothing there. Give's me visions of Nier replicant...ughh

Last edited:

BreakOut

Someone said it before.. well actually everyone did. And it is still a glaring issue, that self-aware dialogue. For the love of the lamb, who actually put that in there thinking it would add to the game? I cannot imagine someone choosing to put those lines in the game. It’s like Spider-Man.. I hate it even in that game but at least it goes with the game. It’s cheesy talk, “don’t you guys know not to do drugs? Oh you’re shooting your guns.. I guess not” What sucks is there’s no way this doesn’t make the game, they paid for all the voice work and they’re going to put that shit in. Maybe they will put a passion to reduce it! But I’m going but my soul to the devil It affects review scores and peoples enjoyment.
Her - “let’s crack some skulls“ cuff- “Let’s”

Aenima

This is probably the best trailer from the game yet. The world seems to have alot of side stuff to be found and explored, and they did decreased the excessive banter seen in the earlier trailers during the gameplay. The magic combat is also one of the best i seen in a game yet. Framerate still dosnt seem locked. It looks smooth at times and choppy at others. But at least made me interested in playing the game now.

Hunnybun

Everytime they show this game, its 30fps (or less). I assume they are just showing the '4k' mode or soemthing because this doesnt look like a game that should be 30fps.

Yeah they confirmed there's a 4k mode and a 60fps mode.

Apparently they're among the geniuses who think it's best to show the fidelity mode in pre-release marketing, even though the only benefit of those modes - the resolution - is completely lost in shit YouTube content.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
3n5chvZ.gif
uwy0zFn.gif

skit_data

All the environments look so… empty. I do agree with the people ITT saying it looks like Anor Londo from DS1. That wierd inbetween during the PS3/X360 era when the towns in all games looked so devoid of the natural debris/objects that come from people actually living in it. It’s as if they didn’t make enough assets enough or something.

Getting more and more skeptical of this, I was cautiously optimistic before but this doesn’t look very good at all, and the dialogue and NPCs seem uninspiring. It doesn’t wow me graphically either. Especially not being a next gen only game.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Is it coming out on PC?

Edit. January 24th? On Steam...so day and date on PC. Ok. I'll wait for reviews, but im generally interested.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
On its own, it looks well made and of good quality. It just looks very similar to a lot of the games we've seen before. Reach vantage points, scan for POI's(ugh), dash around an open world that will likely be 80% full of nothing.

I'll play it, but it'll probably be a game that wears thin within 10 hours.

Markio128

It looks alright, nothing more, nothing less. HFW has destroyed it visually, but then the spell effects look really cool.

Fredrik

Looks good and the traversal seems nice but the talky main character and bracelet are annoying, and all the icons popping up seems so unnecessary and destroy any proper exploration.
PS+ Premium game catalogue is my entry point.

Combat and story look like they could be pretty good.

Exploration looks pretty boring and by the book, stop with the stupid scan and showing things in advance, at least learn something from better games and stop mindlessly imitating Ubisoft.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Have very little faith in this, Luminous studio put out the stinking hot empty mess called FF15 and now couple that with Amy Henning and a Hollywood lick of paint, it seems quite unappealing to me on many fronts.

winjer

Gold Member
Combat and traversal seems quite good.
And particle effects on spells look really nice.
Cities seem a bit lifeless. But writing and dialogs are very poor. They really need to improve this last part, or else playing this game will be very annoying.

ClosBSAS

lol this is next gen?
empty ass worlds....5 npcs in a city? holy shit. day 1 just to try out direct storage shit from windows, otherwise i woud not even consider it.

MastaKiiLA

Looks good. Not technically cutting edge, but good art direction goes a long way. This game reminds me visually of why I used to love Square. This demo has rekindled my interest.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
She runs with a really straight up posture...
A lot of stuff about this game looks really good... except the main character. She absolutely does not fit....
And sure, Ash didn't feel in Army of the Dead but that was done so well and fun.
Here she just does not fit. She looks too much like an instagram model or something and the humor does not hit.
The architecture looks great though.

It is apparently much harder to make a charismatic fun main character.
I don't know what it is. FF XV had 4 guys boys band and it didn't bother me. They did fit.

let's see. Maybe she will be more fleshed out when the game comes out. I am still giving this a chance

Neilg

She ain't a real New Yorker.

Or a good voice actor at all, unfortunately. An actor who's done a few fast paced tv shows getting stuck into a vocal booth to spend weeks reading lines off a page with nobody to react to is going to struggle. it's not the same kind of work.
She's got a fast moving career, but she's only 25 years old and this was her first time doing something like this. it really, really shows. A small notch above programmer/employee dialogue.

Top Bottom