• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD FSR 3 FidelityFX Super Resolution 3 is coming to Forspoken and Immortals of Aveum

Bernoulli

M2 slut
hSN2b5k.jpg

AMD officially announces support for its latest upscaling technology in two games. The new version of FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR), known as FSR3, introduces a feature called “Fluid Motion Frames,” which can be compared to AMD’s equivalent of DLSS3 Frame Generation. While this technology was initially unveiled in January of this year, AMD has taken longer than anticipated to reveal further details.

The initial games set to harness the power of FSR3 are “Forspoken” and “Immortals of Aveum.” Forspoken, a title from Square Enix, unfortunately fell short of expectations upon its release in January. On the other hand, “Immortals” is a recently launched game that has the distinction of being the first to utilize Unreal Engine 5.1.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Two games I could care less for. But at least I understand why immortals.

But in the end it’s still more fake generated output. Which is fine for most people but I always see every little issue.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well well well, I think we need a little more details. It just could very well be "fluid motion" as it was in that X360 Star Wars game or on TVs from late 2000 early 2010.

Elios83

Is this basically the same effect like motion interpolation on TVs (soap opera effect) but with specific frame knowledge about what is happening within the scene so less artifacts?
Does it improve controls responsivity as well?

HL3.exe

Wait and see for some actual (not in-house produced by AMD) demo's to see how it looks.

Could be a big win for AMD if it creates longevity for older GPU (if this still works on GTX cards too)

Last edited:

FingerBang

Nice, I've been playing Forspoken recently and I'm going on holiday with my ROG Ally. Hopefully it drops soon.

It's not that bad. Immortals seems cool too

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Hell fucking yeah. I've been waiting for this. Honestly, IQ wise, FSR 2.2 is already damn good and to the point where 95% of players wouldn't be able to tell the difference between FSR 2.2 Quality and Native 4k.

No Starfield news though?

Last edited:

FeastYoEyes

It would be bonkers for them to have their biggest partnership of the year Starfield not have this on launch.

Also no mention of this on any actual official channels that I can see but maybe I'm blind.

Last edited:

Skifi28

cant wait to use this on my deck
I don't know if that's a good use case. Frame generation, especially if it doesnt have an AI component, is meant for upscaling 50+ fps to 100+. Upscaling 25-30 to 60 is probably a bad idea.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

At this point, we just need to see how FSR3 wors. That is 1000x more important than what games are using it right now. If its good, we can rest assured that every major release will have it going forward.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It would be bonkers for them to have their biggest partnership of the year Starfield not have this on launch.

Also no mention of this on any actual official channels that I can see but maybe I'm blind.

They're having their press conference later today. I'm sure it'll be officially unveiled then. Hopefully with some Starfield news as well.

I'm sure it was leaked a while back that FSR 3 will have a launch of sorts with Starfield, AMD even brought exclusivity for it, locking out DLSS.

Curious to see if the consoles, specifically the Series X can run FSR 3, it may even give us a 60 FPS mode.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I don't know if that's a good use case. Frame generation, especially if it doesnt have an AI component, is meant for upscaling 50+ fps to 100+. Upscaling 25-30 to 60 is probably a bad idea.

I dunno, in AMDs own promotional slide they show Forspoken going from 36fps to 122fps. So we'll see how it plays out with lower framerates.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Wasn't FSR2 completely shit in Forspoken even at 4k quality where FSR2 usually comes closest to DLSS2? Either they have improved the upscaling part of FSR or this is going to be embarrasing.

Nikodemos

Amusingly, it also works on old nVidia GPUs who lack the dedicated hardware for their newer graphics thingies.
The Switch can use FSR.

Skifi28

I dunno, in AMDs own promotional slide they show Forspoken going from 36fps to 122fps. So we'll see how it plays out with lower framerates.
I imagine that includes FSR2 to reach 60fps and then frame generation to 120. Nvidia does the same in their slides.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I hope it can be 'hacked' to Starfield as easily as newer versions of DLSS can be hacked to older games.... by copy/pasta a few files.

Fahdis

AMD reveals new tech...
Gamers instantly start whining about its uses for certain games because no patience...

What I'm more concerned about is exclusive deals for tech. The PC market is starting to get cannibalized. Give us both.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Without dedicated hardware it will just be a fixed algorithm and nothing "smart", thus I don't expect much, just like FSR 2 is bad compared to DLSS 2.
Yes it will work on many more cards, it will look just a bit better than TV frame interpolation thanks to motion vectors, but it will have more visible artifacts than DLSS 3 FG I guess.

AMD likes to claim their FSR solution works without dedicated hardware, but that's also why it can't be near as good as DLSS.

Bojji

Without dedicated hardware it will just be a fixed algorithm and nothing "smart", thus I don't expect much, just like FSR 2 is bad compared to DLSS 2.
Yes it will work on many more cards, it will look just a bit better than TV frame interpolation thanks to motion vectors, but it will have more visible artifacts than DLSS 3 FG I guess.

AMD likes to claim their FSR solution works without dedicated hardware, but that's also why it can't be near as good as DLSS.

They should just make superior version of it on RDNA3 cards (they have some ai stuff), that will at least boost their GPU sales. Standard FSR2 for all and "super" version for their GPUs (just like Intel did with XeSS).

Top Bottom