• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken is getting meme'd on

This type of dialogue narration where it tries to emulate teenage talk is endemic in all forms of media; the problem is is that they all sound the same - like they were written by the same exact person. The fact that this game is being meme’d the way it is shows how creatively bankrupt the writing truly is. I feel like I hear this type of narration in so many tv shows, games, and YA novels. It’s so fucking cringe and lacks originality.
Pretty spot on...

Shame devs ruin their own game with this dumb stuff.
Not surprised. Whoever wrote the script for the game screwed up bad.
characters that never shut up and are always throwing around quips
I like the character. I like how you equip the nails and all that. The constant quiping is rightly drawing criticism tho. Aloy just says bland stuff and it's already enough to drive you crazy after 40 hours. In this, Frey is saying some truly crappy fellow kids lines. I also have a feeling they will not respond to the criticism and blame it on consumers. Hopefully not, but that's a popular move these days.
So do we trace this way back to Borderlands 2, or Conker 64, or as far back as Bubsy?

This type of dialogue narration where it tries to emulate teenage talk is endemic in all forms of media; the problem is is that they all sound the same - like they were written by the same exact person. The fact that this game is being meme’d the way it is shows how creatively bankrupt the writing truly is. I feel like I hear this type of narration in so many tv shows, games, and YA novels. It’s so fucking cringe and lacks originality.
It's the Isekai of dialogue then.

Kumomeme

the attention of this meme bring could either be good, or bad for the game.

we will see how it goes in next few days

On the contrary, I think it'll do pretty well.
Hi there I Infamy v1

I noticed the "LOL" Reaction and I'm just legitimately curious if it's because you think I'm wrong and it will bomb?

Regardless, you could be right and I could be very wrong.

I just don't see with the marketing and everything attached how this will bomb?

I should mention that I'm not invested in this game. I actually have no interest in it whatsoever. I may or may not be the target audience because I do like action adventure type of games but just particular doesn't interest me. Oh yeah, and the dialogue and trailer pretty cringey but that's not exactly a first.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Thematically, it's already too late, isn't it? Are they going to redo her like they did Sonic the Hedgehog in the movie? If not...they have to see the writing on the wall at this point: bargain bin fodder.

RPS37

I’m most concerned that this shit doesn’t even release till Jan 2023.
I forgot it’s not soon.

Infamy v1

Hi there I Infamy v1

I noticed the "LOL" Reaction and I'm just legitimately curious if it's because you think I'm wrong and it will bomb?

Regardless, you could be right and I could be very wrong.

I just don't see with the marketing and everything attached how this will bomb?

I should mention that I'm not invested in this game. I actually have no interest in it whatsoever. I may or may not be the target audience because I do like action adventure type of games but just particular doesn't interest me. Oh yeah, and the dialogue and trailer pretty cringey but that's not exactly a first.
Even before the bad marketing and mediocre trailers, I expected a lukewarm reception, both critically and commercially.

However, you're entitled to your opinion and mines holds no merit over yours. We'll just have to wait and see.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me as soon as I saw scan face, I checked out, like I did with Death Stranding. I absolutely can’t stand celebrities face in characters and scan faces in my games.

They always looks something off about them as soon as they to show emotion.

Jennings

For me as soon as I saw scan face, I checked out, like I did with Death Stranding. I absolutely can’t stand celebrities face in characters and scan faces in my games.

kczaSWc.jpg

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
You're right. Forspoken's media team did a shit job trying to create a meme.

Thankfully, the Twatter horde managed to step in and save it.
So, if the game turns out shit, then reviewers should up the score because the twitter horde "saves" by talking good about it?

Philfrag

Banned
Somewhere in the past 10 years nearly every videogame character started speaking like it was from borderlands. Its the only way to sell violence in video games to mass markets now whilst using the least imagination possible.

MMaRsu

Banned
Watch out OP, posting this tweet as cringe might get your thread locked without comment by whichever GAF mod has the massive Square Enix-shaped chip on their shoulder.

RIP MMaRsu MMaRsu 's otherwise well-behaved thread, and @TintoConCasera's god-given right to misname Cloud as a spiky-haired twink.

40Oz Pour One Out GIF
Yo why was that thread closed anyway @mods?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
SE when this game sells less than 2m copies because the idiots it’s targeted at don’t buy games;

Oh My God Wow GIF by MOODMAN
I am cackling like a witch right now!

I still hope the game does well.
The gameplay looks alright, Im just going to need to change the language to Japanese or something.

Hunnybun

Well, they always say there's no such thing as bad publicity? At least people are finally talking about the game in their eyes.

I did get a chuckle at the "freaking dragons" thing because everyone gave them shit about her previous line of "mutha-fucking dragon".

This is what the writing team of Gary Whitta, Amy Hennig, Allison Rymer, and Todd Stashwick will get you. The west can not write for shit anymore, it seems.

Gary Whitta is a complete and utter fuckwit. Imagine anyone anywhere ever thinking that guy had an ounce of creative talent.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
'People with nothing in their lives need to shit on things to feel like they are cool'

So much for respect or comprehension.

Kupfer

Yo why was that thread closed anyway @mods?
Asked the same question in another Forspoken thread. I didn't think it was justified either, as no one was attacking or insulting each other, everyone was just expressing their displeasure towards a cringy game.
Question was deleted 1 minute later, but this was the answer :
S0s8RcW.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if this thread will be closed as well.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned

Doesn't every expensive game have facial scans now?

ZywyPL

Banned
ChrisRayGun's is my favourite

My sides xD For real, all those memes only show how something that looks actually great otherwise, is completely overshadowed by cringe writing only because 40-50yo devs believe that's how teenagers talk with each other and this is exactly what will lure them into their game...

Teslerum

My sides xD For real, all those memes only show how something that looks actually great otherwise, is completely overshadowed by cringe writing only because 40-50yo devs believe that's how teenagers talk with each other and this is exactly what will lure them into their game...
Is this even their game? I mean technically it was off-site contract work IIRC.

Banned
Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Yeah, I think I'll avoid this game like the plague

Why the Amy Hennig hate, tho? The woman wrote Legacy of Kain, ffs. And the writting in Uncharted games were "Marvel quips but actually good"

I'll blame the other writers, because from their other work, they seem subpar

she directed and produced Soul Reaver btw. sho did not just write it.

saldy, over at naughty dog it went downhill... she directed Jak 3, which was good...
but then came Uncharted 😬 but she was only the writer in those games so she can't be held responsible for the bad Gamedesign

Top Bottom