• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Forbes* Xbox Series X And S Outsold Switch, PS5 In US Dollar Sales In June

oldergamer

I thibk Microsoft decided due to all the delayed games and extremely short supply, it didn't make a lot of sense to heavily advertise until they had more first party titles ready. They timed increasing supply with game releases. Now they are in a better spot to move units with a steady list of releases through the end of the year.

Markio128

I’m thinking of creating a thread called ‘PS5 did not make as many dollars in US as Series X/S in June’. What do you think?
fail merry go round GIF

wolffy71

Banned
How do you attract more customers, if you are selling your ace card somewhere else too?

How many ps5 will fly of the shelf, if their games are day1 on pc?

Pc is a market disruption. While its neutral place, the idea of having your games day1, will reduce the value of your console.

All you need is 1 thought. "Why do I need to buy this console, if the game is on my pc?, why would I spend 300$-500$ on it, if all the games will be on my pc".

Another form factor, which is 3rd party games. Both consoles have exclusive 3rd party games, that are on pc. When you have those games, and the console games, your idea of getting that console is out of the windows. Its not worth investing in it, after that point.

Its the reason why Sony is highly careful of it. The moment they do day1 on pc, their value will plummet. The appeal of the Playstation consoles will fall off, once its exclusive hits day1 on pc.

Only reason we are not seeing too much negative on xbox, is that they had worst e3 of their life, and almost killed their console. Their parent company owns 70% of the computers in the world, through their windows OS. So its easy for them to have main store on it, and put their games on it.

Consoles are sold to sell games. The consoles themselves are a neccessary evil to these companies. The money is in software for the most part

Why you all discussing article, based on a week old news, from a known insane fanboy?
I seriously don't know why a known Xbox fanboy Paul Tassi is given the light of day on this forum? He's a running joke on Resetera and rightly so.

You're only a respected journalist in my eyes if you cover news (positive or negative) from all players in the gaming industry. Can't even call him a journalist as it's an opinion piece.

Forbes.com contributors include professional journalists, some of whom turned to Forbes after they left or lost their full-time jobs in recent years. But there are many others from non-journalistic backgrounds: Business leaders, entrepreneurs, book authors, academics and other topic experts.

Why you all discussing article, based on a week old news, from a known insane fanboy?
You're scraping the bottom of the barrel if you're pulling anything from Paul Tassi at Forbes Contributor which is why this thread is more amusing than anything.
I won't ever quote anything this guy writes.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Glad the article highlights the two main factors in this: availability and momentum.

PS5's are in short supply, so it makes sense that as long as Microsoft can keep consoles on shelves, they'll out sell a competitor who is physically unable to manufacture consoles fast enough to meet the insane demand for the PS5.

If only people were this logical consistently, such as when the reverse was happening.

Last edited:

Loope

I heard that if you speak logic, you will be put on ignore list.

Got couple of people telling me, I am on their ignore list, simply because I told them, what they didn't like.

My recent one, was a guy who told me I had to watch YouTube to know the plot of last of us 2. Like dude, I played the game, gave you the summary of what I saw. How is that YouTube video summary.

In short, its futile to argue with these people. Logic doesn't work in their favor.
Wait, some dumbass put on ignore list but still found the time to tell you that? What? ahahhaha.

Derktron

Banned
Good for Xbox, I hope people are going to troll and claim that only because they are selling is because of lack of PS5.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Xbox picking up steam. Gamers realizing it's got the games and gamepass. Next gen gamers are itching to buy a new console and realize Xbox systems also have optional Seagate card to boot. So for more storage needed, the option is there. Sony still got no SSD approved expansions yet.

kingfey

Banned
Consoles are sold to sell games. The consoles themselves are a neccessary evil to these companies. The money is in software for the most part
The point is, first year of consoles is hard. In order for you to sell the games, you need enough consoles to reach certain demand for games.

Not every owner of console, will buy the new games. If 10 games were released on that month, that is $300-$600 a month spent on those games. No one will spend that much money.

Then, there is the competition between the games. You have be selective to buy, which games you want. Unpopular games have no chance to hit higher numbers.

Do you have any idea how many people knows, deaths door game? I had no idea this game existed. The only way I knew about it, was Twitter talking about it, for bragging rights. If I didn't have a Twitter, I wouldn't have heard about it. Its isnt the same as COD, or Ratchet and Clank.

Its why these sales figures are useless. Those companies want software sales, to make up the money lost on hardwares. And to do that, they need to bump out more consoles than ever.

kingfey

Banned
Wait, some dumbass put on ignore list but still found the time to tell you that? What? ahahhaha.
Yup. Took a picture about it, and post it here. As if its something to brag about it.

If you kinda hate talking to these people, simply don't respond to them. Or pay attention to them. Ignoring them, means they got under your skin.

Ozzie666

Lol yeah we haven’t heard a peep out of MS since the Steam Deck announcement, makes you wonder what they’re thinking about it. On the one hand they could freeload and get Xbox into a portable state through Steam Deck. On the other hand Valve is trying to strengthen Steam outside of Windows.

Nothing stopping them from making the same hardware with Microsoft, Xbox and Gamepass branding. I believe Valve has opened that door to manufactures. The hardware could come pre-loaded with a Special OS either WIndows or some Xbox system. All the hard work is done.

Bought a series s for my kid today. I gotta say, it's pretty great
I don’t know man…this goes against the prevailing narrative that nobody wants these things and they are piling up on store shelves. 😉

Seriously, congrats on the purchase. Thinking of getting one to compliment my XSX. People sure seem to love them once they use them.

Last edited:
I mean it made perfect sense. Xbox restock more often than ps5 and before of them are still sold out quickly. It is naturally to believe xbox series x outsell ps5 in usa

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Good for them. They showed up at E3. They presented a clear view of the future of xbox. They brought the games. Some clearly not ready, but at least we know what the next 3-4 years of Xbox would look like. They deserve to win. Wish them nothing but success. They have earned it.

Astral Dog

It appears like Switch actually sold more untis, but still good month for Xbox maybe PS5 would be doing better if it had any E3

Marty-McFly

Banned
Well deserved, people will try to downplay it lol
I guess it's a good sign for MS though I don't think it means much given the shortages and the fact that Switch has broken the record for most NPD hardware sales for nearly 3 years straight. That's not downplaying it, it's just being honest.

Though, I get the feeling that MS is going to have a better gen, while remaining third worldwide. They should gain some good ground on Sony, however.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Usually I'd be like "meh who fucking cares" but considering how dominant PS4 was last gen I think this deserves a congrats. It's only one month sure not even close to a win, but I still like to see good work being rewarded.

Dr Bass

PS5 outselling everyone: Wow what an amazing feat.
Xbox outselling everyone: Meh it must be a supply issue.
There is some truth to this but the "amazing feats" people have been discussing over the past few months involve PS5 setting all time industry records despite shortages.

So yeah, definitely a great month for Xbox, no two ways about it. However in terms of the above statement and the PS5, I personally think that's pretty impressive myself.

You don't?

Wow, congrats Microsoft. People must of liked their e3 show. Going to be interesting to see what it looks like when the shortage is over for both systems.

Smoke6

I don’t know man…this goes against the prevailing narrative that nobody wants these things and they are piling up on store shelves. 😉

Seriously, congrats on the purchase. Thinking of getting one to compliment my XSX. People sure seem to love them once they use them.
That’s crazy to say that when there are literally images of them sitting on shelves! Like what kinda mental gymnastics is needed to bend time and space to ignore that and push a narrative as if people are lying? This console wars stuff is crazy as hell and congrats to MS

Marty-McFly

Banned
Wow, congrats Microsoft. People must of liked their e3 show. Going to be interesting to see what it looks like when the shortage is over for both systems.
I think it will still be (in unit sales) 1. Switch 2. Sony 3. MS for most months, but the difference this gen is when XSX gets a big release it will probably move up to second place, and when the Bethesda games start rolling in MS will will probably take second place most months in general. Playstation will be weaker in the US but still stronger internationally.

That’s crazy to say that when there are literally images of them sitting on shelves! Like what kinda mental gymnastics is needed to bend time and space to ignore that and push a narrative as if people are lying? This console wars stuff is crazy as hell and congrats to MS
I don;t think i ever saw Series X and ps5 ever sitting on a shelf in usa

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I don;t think i ever saw Series X and ps5 ever sitting on a shelf in usa
I’ve seen 4 series s total on store shelves 0 series X and 0 PS5. The next time I went back they were gone.

That’s the funny thing with those pics of unsold Series S, we don’t know if it was just after a restock and nobody knew they were there yet or how long they sat for before selling out.

It could literally be an employee taking a pic right after they set up the display, before the store even opened.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I say it when anyone talks about the PS5 sales and I'll say it for Xbox - all this means is that MS had more stock in June in the USA. BOTH consoles are still selling every single unit they can make. People playing the sales game at this stage are just making themselves look even more stupid than usual.

And no, I don't care if there's a Series S on the shelves in some little boutique store in Poland.

Last edited:
This would explain the reports of fewer Xbox's in other countries. MS focused on the US to have the "win" coming out of E3. Sony, on the other hand, are trying to meet demand everywhere. Which is why they are kicking ass overall in every country.

I’ve seen 4 series s total on store shelves 0 series X and 0 PS5. The next time I went back they were gone.

That’s the funny thing with those pics of unsold Series S, we don’t know if it was just after a restock and nobody knew they were there yet or how long they sat for before selling out.

It could literally be an employee taking a pic right after they set up the display, before the store even opened.
Sereis S is more common. One day i was at gamestop and they told me they gotr some series S in the back. However tbh, there are so many series X restock this month anyone that really want one at retail price can easily get it.

Last edited:

Felessan

Both consoles are production limited (and Sony has more production capacity).
Xbox winning month in USA doesn't really bode well, as it means that allocation was shifted to US, most probably due to weaker interest in other territories (which we know already for some countries).

Top Bottom