• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Forbes* Xbox Series X And S Outsold Switch, PS5 In US Dollar Sales In June

Great Hair

Banned
happening GIF
pingu GIF

wolffy71

Banned
Imagine if Microsoft had a portable device, based on x86 architecture, 720p, 16gigs of ram, decent GPU, it could play almost any xbox game or pc game and support Gamepass on the go. Just imagine how their market share would increase and mind share.

Oh wait, beaten to the punch.
Imagine if they could sell gamepass without having to bother with the production, design, or sales of said system. Imagine that, then you get the idea.

wolffy71

Banned
As far as sales, neither console is in stock anywhere around, walmart says they're not available, and nothing in Amazon unless you wanna be ripped off. Sales dont say much right now other than people want more than is available

kingfey

Banned
So all Microsoft need to do is focus units to USA while Sony has to cover the rest of the worlds insane demand for PS5. Microsoft want to change the narrative for USA and it should be easier for them. No offence to my American friends but we know a vast majority of Americans treat US as the only important market and 90% of messaging comes from and about there, So MS will probably focus as much stock as possible to this region to maintain this for as long as possible. Going to be interesting to see how the following months go, and MSs peak plans.

MS needs some quality high reviewing games out fast and hopefully Forza horizon and Halo hit the spot!
You seem to be going all over the place.

We are starting this gen now.

People screamed at xbox having no next gen games, and couldn't bother to buy the console. Once e3 happened, and it made sure, all bethesda games being EXCLUSIVE, people started to buy the console.

As for what you are screaming, they are going to work on it. Things take time. They aren't robots, who pulls games out of their arses. They need to find studios to work on games, since their studio is busy developing games.

As for ps5 demand, it doesn't have anything to do with the topic. So that is irrelevant.

kingfey

Banned
As far as sales, neither console is in stock anywhere around, walmart says they're not available, and nothing in Amazon unless you wanna be ripped off. Sales dont say much right now other than people want more than is available
We are in a first year. Anyone who is comparing sales, is retarded.

Both consoles sold 116m/51m. They have huge players. And neither of those players have the next gen consoles.

Its funny, when people say ps5/xseries sold 10m/5m as if that means something. That is like 1/10 of the player base for them. Its not enough for their fans.

The 1st 2 years will have bad consequences for next games, since it will sell badly on these next gen systems. They won't hit higher numbers on the first week, compared to cross gen games. Xbox might get the money from steam though.

Aside of that, neither console are profitable for them, with software sales. Once we have 30m/15m, they will at least see some profit.

"TwistedVoxel notes the increase brings the PS5's current total in Japan to an impressive 689,000 units sold. That's about 40,000 more consoles sold than the PlayStation 4, which in the same time frame (25 weeks post-launch) had shifted 648,000 units in Sony's home country.May 11, 2021"
This was in May. Imagine software sales for the console in Japan. Its why it couldn't crack top 10 at all.

KAL2006

Banned
I think comparing sales at this point is pointless. It basically comparing who can produce more units as both Series X and PS5 are constantly sold out. Once the supply can meet demand we will have a better idea which console is more desirable and sells better.

Greggy

I think comparing sales at this point is pointless. It basically comparing who can produce more units as both Series X and PS5 are constantly sold out. Once the supply can meet demand we will have a better idea which console is more desirable and sells better.
MS is not even trying to sell the most consoles though. They are releasing all their games on PC. The fac that it's even close can be seen as a win for them.

kingfey

Banned
Most people ignore the number 1 elephant in the room. 1st party sales.

Xbox has clear advantage in this race. They have 120m steam users ready to buy their 1st party games. That is almost all ps4/ps5 hardware sold combined.

These guys won't get an xbox, but will will happily buy the game on steam.

As long as that elephant in the room, 1st sales will always go to xbox. 3rd party sales will go to Playstation.

Topher

Gold Member
Most people ignore the number 1 elephant in the room. 1st party sales.

Xbox has clear advantage in this race. They have 120m steam users ready to buy their 1st party games. That is almost all ps4/ps5 hardware sold combined.

These guys won't get an xbox, but will will happily buy the game on steam.

As long as that elephant in the room, 1st sales will always go to xbox. 3rd party sales will go to Playstation.

Steam has nothing to do with console hardware sales so how is it the 'elephant in the room"?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You seem to be going all over the place.

We are starting this gen now.

People screamed at xbox having no next gen games, and couldn't bother to buy the console. Once e3 happened, and it made sure, all bethesda games being EXCLUSIVE, people started to buy the console.

As for what you are screaming, they are going to work on it. Things take time. They aren't robots, who pulls games out of their arses. They need to find studios to work on games, since their studio is busy developing games.

As for ps5 demand, it doesn't have anything to do with the topic. So that is irrelevant.

Yeap, they are definitely doing the right things and it's great to see them being rewarded for the positive steps.

Not sure if my post has somehow triggered you but I can promise you that was not the intention. I'm just trying to be a realist. Xbox is my goto console for third party games and I am a huge fan of their first party stuff. I've completed all the releases over the generation from quantum break to halo 5 to gears of war and beyond.

The only reason I brought up ps5 is obviously we have to compare how the consoles are stacked against each other. I mean, Ms didn't release with one major first party release and it suffered because of it. Game pass is undeniably awesome and I'm just looking forward to some top tier first party games. I really want forza and halo to hit and I mean hit hard, garnering really positive reviews and ultimately buzz from the fans and industry. If they hit that stuff I can see them having a really positive year and help with changing the story. Let's be honest, they haven't had a must have buzz title for some years and arguably that was forza horizon an arcade racer that doesn't resonate with the usa reviewing market as well as sonys cinematic games do.

All in all, great for them to have a strong month if it continues they will really start to change the narrative but they need a good fair amount of back to back big selling months to do that.

kingfey

Banned
Steam has nothing to do with console hardware sales so how is it the 'elephant in the room"?
If you want to ignore the 1st sales, then yes. It has nothing to do with hardware sales.

Steam is like 2nd xbox console for 1st party games to people.

You want to play Redfall and don't have the series console. Then, buy it on steam. Thus eliminates the shortage of the console.

With windows 11 having xcloud app, and gamepass pc built in, more people will bit worry about not having the series console to play the 1st party games.

Only thing that would matter to people, is 3rd party games. That is the only reason you can get an xbox right now, if you really need it.

For ps5, it doesn't have these options. So people will have to buy the console. You want to play next gen games, get ps5. Because Playstation doesn't offer their games day1 on steam or in pc at all.

Steam+windows store eliminates the need for xbox as of now. Until the shortage ends. That option compensates the lack of series console hardwares.

Very hard to get a good read on anything….you can’t walk in and buy a series x or a ps5 in a store and the series s is like the complimentary prize

maybe the series s wasn’t as stupid as people think

kingfey

Banned
Yeap, they are definitely doing the right things and it's great to see them being rewarded for the positive steps.

Not sure if my post has somehow triggered you but I can promise you that was not the intention. I'm just trying to be a realist. Xbox is my goto console for third party games and I am a huge fan of their first party stuff. I've completed all the releases over the generation from quantum break to halo 5 to gears of war and beyond.

The only reason I brought up ps5 is obviously we have to compare how the consoles are stacked against each other. I mean, Ms didn't release with one major first party release and it suffered because of it. Game pass is undeniably awesome and I'm just looking forward to some top tier first party games. I really want forza and halo to hit and I mean hit hard, garnering really positive reviews and ultimately buzz from the fans and industry. If they hit that stuff I can see them having a really positive year and help with changing the story. Let's be honest, they haven't had a must have buzz title for some years and arguably that was forza horizon an arcade racer that doesn't resonate with the usa reviewing market as well as sonys cinematic games do.

All in all, great for them to have a strong month if it continues they will really start to change the narrative but they need a good fair amount of back to back big selling months to do that.
Its was not a trigger. Sorry, if we had misunderstanding there.

As for Console comparison, there isn't anything really. Xbox is on another dimension this gen. With them going all in on pc, cloud (browser, mobile, stick in the future, app in the future). They are reaching more people that way.

For 1st party games, I have no excuse for that. Ms should have partnered with other devs for exclusive games, like contraband day1 on their next gen consoles. They only did it, with contraband.

Their first year game was a disaster, which they had to delay it. And nothing was there aside of the timely exclusive, the medium. That is the fucked up thing on their part.

As for selling, I doubt that. Steam would be a major helping point for them. But they are so in to gamepass. Higher numbers in gamepass, would mean more success for their series. Their 1st party sales on the console would be so-so, aside of steam, due to them being in gamepass forever.

The great thing is both consoles are doing good. 2022 is a good year for me. Gow2, hfw, starfield, Bow2 would be a great hit for me. All I need is to live that point, and experience those games.

saintjules

Glad the article highlights the two main factors in this: availability and momentum.

PS5's are in short supply, so it makes sense that as long as Microsoft can keep consoles on shelves, they'll out sell a competitor who is physically unable to manufacture consoles fast enough to meet the insane demand for the PS5. And then, of course, Xbox had the best E3 show this year by a really stupid margin; they're basically the only ones who turned up with something resembling a conference and their chief competitor was a no-show. Heading into the holiday season, Xbox is in a great position, with a couple of big games that look great and the continued push for Gamepass to bring in anyone and everyone.

I'll be curious how this shakes out once Sony is able to consistently meet demand. I suspect we won't see too many headlines like this for Xbox for a while once they do.

Good points here. However, once Sony gets a consistent supply of Consoles available, it will turn the tides quickly. Microsoft just needs to continue delivering the best of Gamepass has to offer, possibly with some big games being day and date on there, along with the eventual big exclusive titles they're working on to get people on their side.

kingfey

Banned
I heard that if you speak logic, you will be put on ignore list.

Got couple of people telling me, I am on their ignore list, simply because I told them, what they didn't like.

My recent one, was a guy who told me I had to watch YouTube to know the plot of last of us 2. Like dude, I played the game, gave you the summary of what I saw. How is that YouTube video summary.

In short, its futile to argue with these people. Logic doesn't work in their favor.

kingfey

Banned
Basically after some companies started complaining about their numbers being published (read as leaked) NPD switched to reporting $$$ instead.
Isnt the numbers exclusive to share holders and investors these days?

We gamers lost the ability to see those, due to these guys.

All I need now is that gamepass numbers. Last time we had actual data was January at 18m.

Topher

Gold Member
If you want to ignore the 1st sales, then yes. It has nothing to do with hardware sales.

You want to play Redfall and don't have the series console. Then, buy it on steam. Thus eliminates the shortage of the console.

With windows 11 having xcloud app, and gamepass pc built in, more people will bit worry about not having the series console to play the 1st party games.

Only thing that would matter to people, is 3rd party games. That is the only reason you can get an xbox right now, if you really need it.

For ps5, it doesn't have these options. So people will have to buy the console. You want to play next gen games, get ps5. Because Playstation doesn't offer their games day1 on steam or in pc at all.

Steam+windows store eliminates the need for xbox as of now. Until the shortage ends. That option compensates the lack of series console hardwares.

It isn't a matter of ignoring "first party" sales on Steam. Those sales simply have nothing to do with console hardware sold. If you are trying to say that Microsoft is going to have an advantage in generating revenue from PC because of their commitment to Steam then yeah, I'd agree. Obviously, Sony has made moves in that direction, but I doubt they will ever put PC on equal footing with PlayStation. Regardless, on Steam, Microsoft is effectively a third party developer, as is Sony, since they both must pay commission to Valve. MS games on Steam does indeed negate the need for many PC gamers to buy an Xbox console, but there are those who have no interest in gaming on PC as well.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Imagine if Microsoft had a portable device, based on x86 architecture, 720p, 16gigs of ram, decent GPU, it could play almost any xbox game or pc game and support Gamepass on the go. Just imagine how their market share would increase and mind share.

Oh wait, beaten to the punch.
lol imagine bringing up a PC handheld announced in July that won't ship until December as some sort of megaton in a June sales thread

steam deck has fanboys already. Sony and Microsoft better watch out

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I mean we have seen it before after a good E3, and what would be the point of the time and money put into E3 in the first place if it has no effect on anything?
We've literally never seen an E3 reflected(good or bad) in the same-year June NPD sales in 20 years of following NPD sales on game-forums - not counting price-drop announcements, and even that was usually for the month after. PR goals are generally a bit longer term than that.

kingfey

Banned
It isn't a matter of ignoring "first party" sales on Steam. Those sales simply have nothing to do with console hardware sold. If you are trying to say that Microsoft is going to have an advantage in generating revenue from PC because of their commitment to Steam then yeah, I'd agree. Obviously, Sony has made moves in that direction, but I doubt they will ever put PC on equal footing with PlayStation. Regardless, on Steam, Microsoft is effectively a third party developer, as is Sony, since they both must pay commission to Valve. MS games on Steam does indeed negate the need for many PC gamers to buy an Xbox console, but there are those who have no interest in gaming on PC as well.
Its more of balance scale. While 1 thing brings benefits, it also harms them at the same time.

From A point, we have forza and halo day 1 on steam. On B point, the game is on xbox console, but you will have to be lucky to get it. Both options have the game. If you choose option A, option B would be useless to you. The need of getting the console would be gone. Everyone who picked the A option, will affect the hardware sales, as their desire to get the console, was already fulfilled by the game being on steam.

As for the guys who don't like the pc gaming, they weren't in the equitation, since those guys will always get the console.

Steam will give them revenue for 1st party sales, at the cost of losing hardware sales

wolffy71

Banned

P
Pc will never eliminate the need for console until it eliminates the difference in ease of use and convenience advantage of console. In other words, probably never. Both Sony and Microsoft are gonna be in console and PC gaming for the foreseeable future. Sell ur games anywhere and everywhere possible quite simply.

kingfey

Banned
P
Pc will never eliminate the need for console until it eliminates the difference in ease of use and convenience advantage of console. In other words, probably never. Both Sony and Microsoft are gonna be in console and PC gaming for the foreseeable future. Sell ur games anywhere and everywhere possible quite simply.
How do you attract more customers, if you are selling your ace card somewhere else too?

How many ps5 will fly of the shelf, if their games are day1 on pc?

Pc is a market disruption. While its neutral place, the idea of having your games day1, will reduce the value of your console.

All you need is 1 thought. "Why do I need to buy this console, if the game is on my pc?, why would I spend 300$-500$ on it, if all the games will be on my pc".

Another form factor, which is 3rd party games. Both consoles have exclusive 3rd party games, that are on pc. When you have those games, and the console games, your idea of getting that console is out of the windows. Its not worth investing in it, after that point.

Its the reason why Sony is highly careful of it. The moment they do day1 on pc, their value will plummet. The appeal of the Playstation consoles will fall off, once its exclusive hits day1 on pc.

Only reason we are not seeing too much negative on xbox, is that they had worst e3 of their life, and almost killed their console. Their parent company owns 70% of the computers in the world, through their windows OS. So its easy for them to have main store on it, and put their games on it.

Fredrik

PS5 outselling everyone: Wow what an amazing feat.
Xbox outselling everyone: Meh it must be a supply issue.
Harsh but kinda true, I haven’t seen PS5 wins downplayed as just higher supply, it’s always used as a showcase how it’s more popular. Which it could be but it’s obviously not seen in sales data as long as both are selling out.

That said, my takeaway is that MS needs to increase their production. Why are they only making half of what Sony can make?

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
To be fair, there have been a few months already this gen where PS5 and Switch have 'won' the month on dollar sales, and had fanboys on here arguing for and against those dollar sales.
Lets not try and make it some silly metric now Xbox has done the same.

I don't really care who it's about, it's always silly. In the console wars I can kinda understand fighting about consoles sold, but dollar sales? Are we going to dive into profit margins and balance sheets of Sony, MS and Nintendo next?

kingfey

Banned
Harsh but kinda true, I haven’t seen PS5 wins downplayed as just higher supply, it’s always used as a showcase how it’s more popular. Which it could be but it’s obviously not seen in sales data as long as both are selling out.

That said, my takeaway is that MS needs to increase their production. Why are they only making half of what Sony can make?
Its due to wafers.

Both system managed to get 80k/40k wafer.

"According to Taiwanese site Commercial Times, a total of 120,000 wafers were set aside in the fourth quarter of this year for producing the socs featured on the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X / S. With 78,000 to 80,000 units, two thirds of this would be for Sony, the remaining 40,000 for Microsoft."

"The maximum monthly production of TSMC is estimated to be around 140,000 7nm wafers. AMD is not the only customer of the chip maker, and therefore does not have access to this entire amount. A significant share is probably aimed at the consoles, which may explain why the Zen 3 CPUs and RDNA 2 GPUs are suffering from shortages"

This is reason why we are seeing the difference in hardware sales. Both companies don't have enough wafers.

Fredrik

Its due to wafers.

Both system managed to get 80k/40k wafer.

"According to Taiwanese site Commercial Times, a total of 120,000 wafers were set aside in the fourth quarter of this year for producing the socs featured on the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X / S. With 78,000 to 80,000 units, two thirds of this would be for Sony, the remaining 40,000 for Microsoft."

"The maximum monthly production of TSMC is estimated to be around 140,000 7nm wafers. AMD is not the only customer of the chip maker, and therefore does not have access to this entire amount. A significant share is probably aimed at the consoles, which may explain why the Zen 3 CPUs and RDNA 2 GPUs are suffering from shortages"

This is reason why we are seeing the difference in hardware sales. Both companies don't have enough wafers.
Wow that’s brutal, means they literally can’t do anything to change this 2:1 scenario

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
lol imagine bringing up a PC handheld announced in July that won't ship until December as some sort of megaton in a June sales thread

steam deck has fanboys already. Sony and Microsoft better watch out

Another handheld thingy only for the enthusiasts but not for the mass. This thing is not going to sell millions.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I don't really care who it's about, it's always silly. In the console wars I can kinda understand fighting about consoles sold, but dollar sales? Are we going to dive into profit margins and balance sheets of Sony, MS and Nintendo next?
I said this in previous post, dollar sales always goes to the consoles with highest price point. In this case, both ps5 have price point of 900$, while both series have price point of 800$.

In order for the series to outsold the ps5s in term of dollar sales, they need to sell more than ps5. $90m sales is 200k (ps5 +ps5de), while series is at $80m at 200k (xsx+xss). That is $10m difference between them. The series consoles will need to sell more consoles to reach that number.

So for them to sell more, it means more hard ware sales.

As you said, hardware sales don't really matter. Both consoles are getting sold. Some might take a week, but its gets sold out too.

Until we can get in to a store, pick the consoles, none of these things would matter.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
If true (Forbes LOL) then good for Xbox. They’ve worked hard to turn things around and maybe those fruits are coming to bear.

Also, even if you’re some retarded fanboy who hates Xbox, you should be happy for the competition because it will put your favorite game company “on notice” and make them work harder to impress you.

kingfey

Banned
Wow that’s brutal, means they literally can’t do anything to change this 2:1 scenario
They have that pc. So their 1st party safe.
Its the 3rd party that will suffer massively. Not just on xbox, but on ps5 too. Next gen 3rd party games, will have low sales on both consoles, due to not having enough consoles. The ps5 had a bad software sales in Japan, due to how many consoles sold in the country.

That is the fate of next gen consoles. Their 1st years sales software is horrible

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I love the journalism. Cheery pick console war items to associate with June sales, ignore the facts that the next gen machines were just supply constrained and whoever allocated more would win. Confirmation bias at its finest.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
This. Xbox sells more because there are no PS5s to be bought anywhere. Xbox wins the marathon for June because they‘re the only ones taking part in the race without any competition.

a look at instocknow shows both systems having multiple drops in June. Sure can’t be for sure if they had equal quantities but really looks like you had a equal shot at either really.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I can hear a loud “REEEEEEEEEEEEEE” in the distance. Its sony gaf, brace yourselves.

lol but seriously im not shocked. Its not 2013 again where the ps4 was clearly much better. All these new consoles are really great and microsofts messaging has been on point

Last edited:

Wulfer

Good points here. However, once Sony gets a consistent supply of Consoles available, it will turn the tides quickly. Microsoft just needs to continue delivering the best of Gamepass has to offer, possibly with some big games being day and date on there, along with the eventual big exclusive titles they're working on to get people on their side.
Doesn't sound like that will be a problem since, Xbox is releasing one of the most groundbreaking titles in history this week.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Making more money then the readily available very well selling Switch for a console that you can't find on shelves is pretty good. Take the PS5 out of the picture if you're going to get butthurt about it. Making more than the Switch means Xbox is doing well even if it costs more.

Top Bottom