• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Forbes* Xbox Series X And S Outsold Switch, PS5 In US Dollar Sales In June

svbarnard

Banned

"If you thought Xbox was having a pretty good June in the wake of their promising E3 conference, well, that was reflected in how many people ran out to buy an Xbox shortly after.

NPD is reporting that Xbox is breaking its own records and besting its competition. In June, the Xbox Series X and S combined to outsell both the Nintendo Switch and Sony’s PS5 in terms of dollar sales. Dollar sales being how much actual cash they brought in, while unit sales are total units moved (Switch still won in unit sales)."

It would seem the transaction of purchasing Bethesda is starting to pay off for Microsoft.

anthony2690

Banned
It would seem the transaction of purchasing Bethesda is starting to pay off for Microsoft.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually thought the Bethesda sections of the Microsoft show were the low points.

2 trailers that don't really show me anything and updates to 2 games I am not interested in.

I do think redfall and starfield when they come out, will be great though.

I can imagine it's more due to the fact more consoles were available in June to buy, over anything else.

That being said, I've seen a lot of excitement from friends over game pass upcoming games/service in general.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Glad the article highlights the two main factors in this: availability and momentum.

PS5's are in short supply, so it makes sense that as long as Microsoft can keep consoles on shelves, they'll out sell a competitor who is physically unable to manufacture consoles fast enough to meet the insane demand for the PS5. And then, of course, Xbox had the best E3 show this year by a really stupid margin; they're basically the only ones who turned up with something resembling a conference and their chief competitor was a no-show. Heading into the holiday season, Xbox is in a great position, with a couple of big games that look great and the continued push for Gamepass to bring in anyone and everyone.

I'll be curious how this shakes out once Sony is able to consistently meet demand. I suspect we won't see too many headlines like this for Xbox for a while once they do.

sinnergy

"If you thought Xbox was having a pretty good June in the wake of their promising E3 conference, well, that was reflected in how many people ran out to buy an Xbox shortly after.

NPD is reporting that Xbox is breaking its own records and besting its competition. In June, the Xbox Series X and S combined to outsell both the Nintendo Switch and Sony’s PS5 in terms of dollar sales. Dollar sales being how much actual cash they brought in, while unit sales are total units moved (Switch still won in unit sales)."

It’s a marathon!

Zones

An article based on this, meaning completely redundant...

Ozzie666

Imagine if Microsoft had a portable device, based on x86 architecture, 720p, 16gigs of ram, decent GPU, it could play almost any xbox game or pc game and support Gamepass on the go. Just imagine how their market share would increase and mind share.

Oh wait, beaten to the punch.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Before posting any pro Xbox articles to NeoGAF, PARTICULARLY when talking about sales, I think it is entirely appropriate to include a trigger warning upfront, OP. This is the kind of harmful content that a lot of our fellow users could really be damaged by. Do the work and be better.

Fredrik

Imagine if Microsoft had a portable device, based on x86 architecture, 720p, 16gigs of ram, decent GPU, it could play almost any xbox game or pc game and support Gamepass on the go. Just imagine how their market share would increase and mind share.

Oh wait, beaten to the punch.
Lol yeah we haven’t heard a peep out of MS since the Steam Deck announcement, makes you wonder what they’re thinking about it. On the one hand they could freeload and get Xbox into a portable state through Steam Deck. On the other hand Valve is trying to strengthen Steam outside of Windows.

sinnergy

Lol yeah we haven’t heard a peep out of MS since the Steam Deck announcement, makes you wonder what they’re thinking about it. On the one hand they could freeload and get Xbox into a portable state through Steam Deck. On the other hand Valve is trying to strengthen Steam outside of Windows.
As they are going service based , that’s my bet, Gamepass on Steam Deck, eventually Xbox will become a service , and you install the Xbox app on different devices and have the option for Xbox hardware .

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Before posting any pro Xbox articles to NeoGAF, PARTICULARLY when talking about sales, I think it is entirely appropriate to include a trigger warning upfront, OP. This is the kind of harmful content that a lot of our fellow users could really be damaged by. Do the work and be better.
Happy Cat GIF by Likee US

Stuart360

Gold Member
You can't be serious.
I'd say it was more to do with having a good E3, but there is no doubt that 100% confirmation of Starfield being exclusive would of made some punters bite the bullet, especially when that exclusive confirmation will of given an answer to many gamers minds about whether the next DOOM, Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout, etc, are going to be exclusive..

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I'd say it was more to do with having a good E3, but there is no doubt that 100% confirmation of Starfield being exclusive would of made some punters bite the bullet, especially when that exclusive confirmation will of given an answer to many gamers minds about whether then next DOOM, Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout, etc, are going to be exclusive..
I'd say it was more to do with have higher supply and that's it. From when announcements lead the sales figure, come on .

Last edited:

Stuart360

Gold Member
I'd say it was more to do with have higher supply stock and that's it. From when announcement lead the sales figure like come on .
Well i'm sure stock plays a part too, along with other factors i'm sure, but a good E3 showing will too. I mean we have seen it before after a good E3, and what would be the point of the time and money put into E3 in the first place if it has no effect on anything?
I think some people need to come back down to earth if they dont realize that Starfield, the next DOOM, next Fallout, and of course Elder Scrolls 6 , are going to sell tens of millions of Series consoles over the course of this gen.

assurdum

Banned
Well i'm sure stock plays a part too, along with other factors i'm sure, but a good E3 showing will too. I mean we have seen it before after a good E3, and what would be the point of the time and money put into E3 in the first place if it has no effect on anything?
I think some people need to come back down to earth if they dont realize that Starfield, the next DOOM, next Fallout, and of course Elder Scrolls 6 , are going to sell tens of millions of Series consoles over the course of this gen.
I mean you are free to believe whatever you want. But it's really a stretch what some of you trying to argue. It happens almost "regularly" series X take the lead in some months in US/UK sales figure and the logic suggest it has to do more with supply than everything else. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Stuart360

Gold Member
I mean you are free to believe whatever you want. But it's really a stretch what some of you trying to argue. It happens almost regularly series X take the lead in some months in US/UK sales and the logic suggest it has to do more with supply than everything else. 🤷‍♀️
As you are are also allowed to believe what you (desperately) want to believe.
And dont include me in what has been said before in other sales threads, i rarely come in these cesspits. I was just responding to the Bethesda point that was made.

assurdum

Banned
As you are are also allowed to believe what you (desperately) want to believe.
And dont include me in what has been said before in other sales threads, i rarely come in these cesspits. I was just responding to the Bethesda point that was made.
Desperately? Are you sure it's me which trying desperately bizzarre conjecture about the sales figure or someone else? Both console are sold out from awhile, the hell it has to do an event or a series of announcements with the supply number? Lol. Maybe it's also because Phil has said they will take more risk in the games development? Why not? Let's start with the imagination.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So all Microsoft need to do is focus units to USA while Sony has to cover the rest of the worlds insane demand for PS5. Microsoft want to change the narrative for USA and it should be easier for them. No offence to my American friends but we know a vast majority of Americans treat US as the only important market and 90% of messaging comes from and about there, So MS will probably focus as much stock as possible to this region to maintain this for as long as possible. Going to be interesting to see how the following months go, and MSs peak plans.

MS needs some quality high reviewing games out fast and hopefully Forza horizon and Halo hit the spot!

Stuart360

Gold Member
Desperately? Are you sure it's me which trying desperately bizzarre conjecture about the sales figure? Both console are sold out from awhile, the hell it has to do an event or a series of announcements with the supply number? Lol.
Nothing, nothing at all. They just spend all these millions on E3 just for a laugh as they know E3 and announceemts have zero effect on sales, zero.

assurdum

Banned
Nothing, nothing at all. They just spend all these millions on E3 just for a laugh as they know E3 and announceemts have zero effect on sales, zero.
Dude....if you don't see how specious is
your argument, I don't know what else to tell you.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Gold Member
So all Microsoft need to do is focus units to USA while Sony has to cover the rest of the worlds insane demand for PS5. Microsoft want to change the narrative for USA and it should be easier for them. No offence to my American friends but we know a vast majority of Americans treat US as the only important market and 90% of messaging comes from and about there, So MS will probably focus as much stock as possible to this region to maintain this for as long as possible. Going to be interesting to see how the following months go, and MSs peak plans.

MS needs some quality high reviewing games out fast and hopefully Forza horizon and Halo hit the spot!
You also have to remember that last month Phil said they had finished replacing the Xcloud server blades with XSX units. That should mean more units for customers going forward.

Fredrik

I'd say it was more to do with have higher supply and that's it. From when announcements lead the sales figure, come on .
Both consoles are constantly sold out so it’s the same no matter which is ahead, we’ve essentially been looking at supply data since launch.
But fans don’t see it that way of course because it would be less interesting than saying console X is more popular than console Y for whatever reason.

Only wiggle room I see here is Series S. It has been sitting on shelves in my country. Is it the same in the US? If it is then a great E3 showcase which get more people interested in that version could contribute to increased sales.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

i doubt it ,you don't go out there and buy a console without any games release first...the blockbuster games were not ready yet......

Just want to add something here, in my country, you can buy Series S/X console anytime but all PS5 were out of stocks, I suspect its supply related.

Weird, I believe this there is a similar article on this few weeks ago.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You also have to remember that last month Phil said they had finished replacing the Xcloud server blades with XSX units. That should mean more units for customers going forward.
Yup, hopefully they are in a much better position to get units out there. Which it sounds like they are.

I will say this in every sales thread until it changes. Both consoles are selling out 100% of stock. Any fluctuations at this point on either side are supply driven. This tells me MS held back some stock to release in June for E3 to drive the mainstream news articles and to gain momentum with this "win". It's smart because it's working but anyone with a brain knows you can't get either an XBOX Series X or PS5 anywhere.

If you sell everything you have that's all you can do, of course it brought in more money if it sold more hardware they are putting way more XSX's in the market than XSS same as Sony is putting more Standard PS5's out there than Digital models.

Corndog

Banned

This is old

JLB

Banned

Mexico is part of US?

Top Bottom