• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2022/2023 |OT| Pitch side seats in every stadium, rise your banners.

DKehoe

Potter and Moyes next. (I like Moyes, but yeah. Not his season)
Looks like you are right.

I do feel bad for Potter. He’s clearly talented but managing all those changes at Chelsea and the crazy amount of transfers they have done would be tough for anyone, never mind someone making that big step up in their career.

Guessing Chelsea will go for Naglesmann. Maybe wanted to act quickly to try and prevent Spurs getting him.

Teslerum

I do feel bad for Potter. He’s clearly talented but managing all those changes at Chelsea and the crazy amount of transfers they have done would be tough for anyone, never mind someone making that big step up in their career.
It was too early for Potter (IMO)

Potter's a decent manager, but he still has some major flaws in his tactical plan he needs to iron out in it. It's a good plan, shown at Brighton and even Chelsea if you *just* look at the numbers, but its an unfinished one. In addition to all the other issues you mentioned this was always going to fail. He'll bounce back, just a shame that his reputation took a hit with it.

A lot of the issues this season for Chelsea I lay on Boehly imo. Came in acting he was Abra 2.0 with a very superficial understanding of football, went full in and kicked the old regime out and then made decisions like a football fan on twitter would. Players nor manager stood a chance. Needs to step back for a moment and re-evaluate how he wants to approach this.

Last edited:

DKehoe

It was too early for Potter (IMO)

Potter's a decent manager, but he still has some major flaws in his tactical plan he needs to iron out in it. It's a good plan, shown at Brighton and even Chelsea if you *just* look at the numbers, but its an unfinished one. In addition to all the other issues you mentioned this was always going to fail. He'll bounce back, just a shame that his reputation took a hit with it.

A lot of the issues this season for Chelsea I lay on Boehly imo. Came in acting he was Abra 2.0 with a very superficial understanding of football, went full in and kicked the old regime out and then made decisions like a football fan on twitter would. Players nor manager stood a chance. Needs to step back for a moment and re-evaluate how he wants to approach this.

Yeh hopefully this doesn’t completely derail Potter’s career. Guy could have really done with getting a pre-season to settle in but instead he got thrown into an incredibly strange situation.

I still find it crazy that Chelsea brought in Aubameyang for Tuchel then fired Tuchel not long after. Then they bring in Potter, have an absolute flood of incoming signings and then fire him. That squad is both bloated and lacking in places. And the contracts for those new players are so long that I wonder how active Chelsea are going to be with transfers going forward. I remember reading that Boehly’s baseball team spent big at first but it set them up long term so they didn’t need to invest as much later. I’m not sure that’s the case with this Chelsea squad. Good luck to whoever is next.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Five year contract for potter reported to be £12 million a year.

That’s his reward for failure.

DKehoe

What Ferguson did at Aberdeen is incredible. Nice that some of the others from that time will be getting one too.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Think the Arse might have stuffed the league this season.

Two mins in Haaland scores a pen for City.

DKehoe

Real Madrid replacing Modric, Kroos and Casemiro with Bellingham, Tchouameni, Camavinga and Valverde is mental.

DKehoe

Started with a bang, Ending with a whimper.

The Arsenal
FbhbwVrWYAAyiSI.jpg

Banjo64

cumsessed
City are the best team in the world courtesy of having the best manager of a generation.

People might mock Arsenal, but back when United were winning titles under ferguson they were doing so with like 70-80 points most years.

Guardiola is simply the best I’ll probably see in my lifetime, there is no one that can even class themselves as his near-equal right now.

City are the best team in the world courtesy of having the best manager of a generation.

People might mock Arsenal, but back when United were winning titles under ferguson they were doing so with like 70-80 points most years.

Guardiola is simply the best I’ll probably see in my lifetime, there is no one that can even class themselves as his near-equal right now.
Best manager of a generation with unlimited funds and 110 charges pending.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Best manager of a generation with unlimited funds and 110 charges pending.
There is no need to be bitter.

We haven't spent as though we have unlimited funds, in fact we've been outspent by United, Chelsea and Arsenal. We saw what happened to UEFA's charges in an actual court, they were laughed out.

We beat a Chelsea team yesterday that have spent £600m in 1 year and we started Ortega, Rico Lewis, Akanji, Sergio Gomez, Cole Palmer, Phil Foden and Julian Alvarez. I think the combined spend on those 7 players was £45m.

So, cry more.

There is no need to be bitter.

We haven't spent as though we have unlimited funds, in fact we've been outspent by United, Chelsea and Arsenal. We saw what happened to UEFA's charges in an actual court, they were laughed out.

We beat a Chelsea team yesterday that have spent £600m in 1 year and we started Ortega, Rico Lewis, Akanji, Sergio Gomez, Cole Palmer, Phil Foden and Julian Alvarez. I think the combined spend on those 7 players was £45m.

So, cry more.
Why does stating facts mean that I am bitter?

And why are you only comparing Pep’s spending over the last year to Chelsea’s. Surely you know that he didn’t build his squad over 1 season only. And we know, for example, that City didn’t just pay £51M for Haaland.

It remains to be seen whether the Premier League has the guts to punish Man City for their breaches.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Why does stating facts mean that I am bitter?
Is it a fact that we have been charged by the premier league? Absolutely, is a fact that that means we are guilty of anything? Absolutely not. Is it a fact that the 11 players we put out on the pitch have cheated? No, not at all.

And why are you only comparing Pep’s spending over the last year to Chelsea’s. Surely you know that he didn’t build his squad over 1 season only. And we know, for example, that City didn’t just pay £51M for Haaland.
All 3 clubs listed have outspent us in the past 5 seasons and United have matched our spend over the past 10 seasons 🤷‍♂️ we declare agent payments in our yearly audited accounts so not sure what the issue is re: Haaland.

It remains to be seen whether the Premier League has the guts to punish Man City for their breaches.
It’s not about having the guts it’s about having concrete evidence that would stand up in court.

Is it a fact that we have been charged by the premier league? Absolutely, is a fact that that means we are guilty of anything? Absolutely not. Is it a fact that the 11 players we put out on the pitch have cheated? No, not at all.

All 3 clubs listed have outspent us in the past 5 seasons and United have matched our spend over the past 10 seasons 🤷‍♂️ we declare agent payments in our yearly audited accounts so not sure what the issue is re: Haaland.

It’s not about having the guts it’s about having concrete evidence that would stand up in court.
Past 5 season? Look up how much Pep spent in his first 2 seasons and how much City spent the season before.

Btw, why did Man City fail to cooperate when they were originally charged by the CAS?

But in your opinion, are City innocent?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Past 5 season? Look up how much Pep spent in his first 2 seasons and how much City spent the season before.
Ok, and? That’s why I used United’s 10 year spend as a longer metric for you (y)

Btw, why did Man City fail to cooperate when they were originally charged by the CAS?
You should read the CAS report in full yourself, it’s a relatively short document. If you had you would know that CAS agreed with City that UEFA were the source of the media briefings about the state of the investigation, we offered all evidence up to CAS.

But in your opinion, are City innocent?
Innocent or guilty of what? For me to think they are guilty or innocent of something I’d first have to believe that investment should be a crime in the first place.

Can I ask you a question, do you even know what City are accused of doing?

Last edited:
I don't think I've been ever as heartbroken as on Sunday when we missed promotion because f*cking Heidenheim equalised in the 93rd minute and then scored again in the 99th minute. what. the. fuck.

The Vinícius stuff has been mental. Spain has a real issue with that shit.

Reminds me of Klopp being totally baffled at getting asked to what extent he thinks Vinícius might be provoking it

Is Vinicius the only player being targeted? Strange that all the articles are about him only.

DKehoe

Is Vinicius the only player being targeted? Strange that all the articles are about him only.

It’s been an issue in Spain for a long time. I didn’t realise until recently that Roberto Carlos went through a period of getting similar treatment and that was downplayed by figures in Spanish football at the time as well. Vinicius is just the most recent example and a high profile one because he’s extremely talented and plays for Real Madrid.

Top Bottom