• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flip yo sticks - Pro Elite Wireless Controller for PS3

classicdms

Neo Member
Am I the only one that can't stand the 360 controller? My left thumb always slips off the stick and hits the back button. Happens at least twice a play session without fail. My hands are kind of big, but still.

Treo360

MikeE21286 said:
What if I have a wireless xbox 360 controller but I plug it into my plug and charge kit and then plug it into this?
no, the 360 controller unlike the DS3 doesn't transmit data over the Play& Charge kit.

I have the Rocket Fish PS3 controller (with offset analogs), but the Lag on that was horrible when using BT

Truespeed

Just saw the Pro Elite YouTube review. Didn't really like that it needed a dongle. Not sure why they couldn't have included Bluetooth capability into the controller - it's certainly big enough. Also didn't like that it came with a mini USB to mini USB cable and that you had to plug it into the dongle to recharge. Didn't really care for the aesthetics either. They should just copy the 360 controller verbatim and be done with it.

Nice! I've been waiting since I saw a preview on Gizmondo for this thing... me and my Dualshock 3 just don't get along.

I'm not crazy about needing the USB dongle but it's not a deal breaker. Hopefully it will be the thing to get me back into my PS3 and finally finish Demons Souls :D

Cels

That Nyko is hideous, but if it works, it works. When people get theirs (either the Nyko or Pro Elite) please let us know how you like the controller.

Anyway I know the point of these two controllers is to flip the sticks, but for anyone who simply prefers the ergonomics of the 360 pad to the DS3 (holding a controller with your full palms in contact versus the tips of your hands only) then Datel has a pretty good controller for PS3, and it uses BT, no dongle. OFc the sticks are symmetric but I've found it to be a pretty good alternative to a DS3.

I got to hold one of these at E3 and thought it was really nice, although I didn't get to try it for actual gameplay. It's the same company that makes the miniature Remote & Nunchuk for Wii.

ghostofsparta said:
I never understood why people like one of the analog sticks to be higher than the other. I like them the way they are.
Play with a 360 controller for a week and you'll never want to go back to the sixaxis.

RJNavarrete said:
Play with a 360 controller for a week and you'll never want to go back to the sixaxis.

I did for playing some games on pc and I don't want to play it much anymore (the 360 controller)

Truespeed

MikeE21286 said:
What if I have a wireless xbox 360 controller but I plug it into my plug and charge kit and then plug it into this?

Don't know. Can you use your 360 wireless while it's plugged into the plug and charge? If so then it just may work.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Truespeed said:
Don't know. Can you use your 360 wireless while it's plugged into the plug and charge? If so then it just may work.

It won't. The play and charge kit doesn't transfer data.

Dreohboy

Gravijah said:
Those grips... look not so comfortable.

Compared to the feel of smooth cheap plastic on the DS3?

Can anyone confirm what the youtube video said? That the buttons tend to stick.

Also, can someone compare the resistance on the analog sticks to what the sticks feel like on the Sony controllers?

I prefer the stick resistance on the 360 controller, which I feel provides more resistance. I think the DS3 sticks are too loose.

Also, using the Wired version of the controller (the one without sixaxis support) eliminates the need for the dongle I assume.

Dreohboy

ghostofsparta said:
I never understood why people like one of the analog sticks to be higher than the other. I like them the way they are.

Because it feels more natural? I know that's why I prefer the 360 controller (I also prefer the old XBox Duke) to any playstation controller. The position is what I'm use to.

Before the Duke, my favorite controller was the Sega Saturn Analog controller which also had the analog stick in the upper left of the controller while the D-Pad was in the lower left.

Flavius

I'm willing to gamble. Loved the DS back in the day, but the stock controller kinda' sucks de ass, nowadays...particularly compared to ergonomic orgasm that is the 360 controller.

I just ordered the Pro Elite. I've pretty much stopped playing my PS3 because I dislike the controller so much in comparison to the 360.

NeoGIF

Truespeed said:
If you have a 360 wired controller you could always buy this for $17 and use it on your PS3

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.42000
sku_42000_5.jpg

How's the performance on this, lag delays, etc?

Truespeed

NeoGIF said:

I haven't noticed any lag, but then it is a wired connection so I don't see why there would be any. The only drawback is no sixaxis. I have no controller preference as I like them both for their pro's and con's just as I like my PS3 and 360 for the same reasons.

SmokeMaxX

NeoGIF said:
I hear it's the best on the market, but there are occasional input drops I think. I do have people that have bought it and swear by it though.

ghostofsparta said:

Because it's natural!

Controller.gif

I know I'll be definitely looking into this. I don't finish many PS3 games mainly because of the controller being absolute shit.

Got one of these today... It feels lighter than you'd expect, somewhere around an original Sixaxis in weight. I think the anologs has a bit of a deadzone, but I tried Killzone 2, Super Stardust HD and GT Prologue, and did not have any huge problems.

All the buttons feel good too, but the shoulder buttons do not feel at all the a 360 controller - it is kinda mishmash between a Dualshock 3 and a 360 pad.

Overall, the pad is not perfect, but it certainly seems like it will now end up being my go to controller for PS3 games - unless it feels weird in a genre I have not tried

Photos

2d852jl.jpg

swwhf7.jpg

You can kinda tell I do not use my Dualshock 3 as much as I should - poor dusty thing

linkboy

I've been interested in this controller since it was first announced. How is it holding up for people who have it?

Nothing would please me more then to see a good quality PS3 controller with the sticks swapped (Logitech would be my company of choice).

Keyser Soze said:
Got one of these today... It feels lighter than you'd expect, somewhere around an original Sixaxis in weight. I think the anologs has a bit of a deadzone, but I tried Killzone 2, Super Stardust HD and GT Prologue, and did not have any huge problems.

All the buttons feel good too, but the shoulder buttons do not feel at all the a 360 controller - it is kinda mishmash between a Dualshock 3 and a 360 pad.

Overall, the pad is not perfect, but it certainly seems like it will now end up being my go to controller for PS3 games - unless it feels weird in a genre I have not tried

Photos

http://s7.tinypic.com/2d852jl.jpg

http://s7.tinypic.com/swwhf7.jpg

You can kinda tell I do not use my Dualshock 3 as much as I should - poor dusty thing
<PaulHogan>YOU CALL THAT DUST</PaulHogan>

23w2ou0.jpg

Treo360

Keyser Soze said:

Input lag? The Rocketfish while being bluetooth and having sixaxis support along with pressure sensitive buttons, lags when in wireless mode.

I wonder if these Chinese ones are licensed = Sony firmware proof. The Ingrish manuals don't help purchase confidence.

Treo360 said:
Input lag? The Rocketfish while being bluetooth and having sixaxis support along with pressure sensitive buttons, lags when in wireless mode.

ah man such a shame too.

Masamuna

Loving the controller until today. It simply just won't connect to the console. Connecting it via the mini usb cable makings the home button cycle (aka charging) but pressing it causes it to flash at a rapid pace. Letting it sit there charging for an hour did nothing. If this persists I'm going to be really salty because I was finally able to get into the FPS genre.

Anybody experience this? The Power A site tells nothing. Nobody has had similar complaints on customer reviews AFAIK. Urgh.

Dreohboy said:
Also, can someone compare the resistance on the analog sticks to what the sticks feel like on the Sony controllers?

I'd like to know this too. It's why I honestly can't play FPS on the PS3. Way too loose.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I was banned so I couldn't give my impressions on this controller for a month!

Theres definitely a dead zone where the finest sensitivity is lost. I tested it with MW2. I had not played for a month or so, so I thought it might be me that was the problem. I had a hard time aiming and stopping the reticule where I wanted. Switched back to the dualshock 3 and the difference is instantly apparent. DS3 had more sensitivity and no dead zone. The pro elite is less loose than the DS3 but I don't mind the looseness. The sticks are also raised a bit too high for my liking. If they were lowered a quarter of an inch or even an 8th it would be much better.

There was also an issue with connecting to the PS3. Sometimes it would disconnect after a few minutes.

I would not recommend this controller.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Mr Nightman said:
Its funny, my ps3 is soo dusty my bro writes messages on it, currently says dirty girl lol :lol
This is a rather late quote but I have to say, if you don't properly take care of your expensive HW then it is a drity whore :lol

Pimpbaa said:
No current gen console has touch sensitive buttons on their controllers.
Every single button on the DS3 except for Start, Select, and the PS button is analog. The same was also true of the DS2. You probably just didn't notice because the throw distance is so small on all except the DS3's triggers, and because most games don't bother to use the effect.

Liabe Brave said:
Every single button on the DS3 except for Start, Select, and the PS button is analog. The same was also true of the DS2. You probably just didn't notice because the throw distance is so small on all except the DS3's triggers, and because most games don't bother to use the effect.
I knew the PS2 pad was this way but I'm sure Sony said they ditched them for the DS3. I guess they changed their minds...

alr1ghtstart said:

not only ugly, it can be uncomfortable too!

I got one of the Nyko Raven in the mail and messed around with it. I has two huge problems:

1) the grips curve inward. If I hold it like I do a 360 controller, or what comes natural, my pinky is basically getting stabbed by the sharp bottom of the grip. The 360 controller has smooth curves, and that pro elite one looks to have them too. On the Raven, it's only comfortable if I leave my pinky dangling. and I don't have large hands.

2) larger dead zone than the PS3 controller. That pretty much kills it if you intend to play shooters and except fine movement. Playing a bit of Vanquish, it felt almost unplayable compared to the PS3 and 360 because you can't make tiny adjustments to your aim.

It's a shame because otherwise it could be alright. Analog sticks and buttons feel fine, though, a bit close together kinda like the PSP. Triggers are actually nicer than the 360s I think, and I like that L1/R1 are buttons instead of clicky (would be nice if they wereraised higher). Works on PC. D-pad is stiff, but works. It actually has analog buttons and d-pad, which is weird, but you can play MGS2 on it I guess. That's probably why the d-pad is so still, actually.

Part of the reason I didn't get the Pro Elite one was because of the dead zone problem but this one has it too. Is that a problem with third party controllers in general or do the makers just mess up?

TheOGB

Banned
Linkzg said:
It's a shame because otherwise it could be alright. Analog sticks and buttons feel fine, though, a bit close together kinda like the PSP. Triggers are actually nicer than the 360s I think, and I like that L1/R1 are buttons instead of clicky (would be nice if they wereraised higher). Works on PC. D-pad is stiff, but works. It actually has analog buttons and d-pad, which is weird, but you can play MGS2 on it I guess. That's probably why the d-pad is so still, actually.
Is this referring to the Power A Pro Elite or the Nyko Raven?

TheOGB said:
Is this referring to the Power A Pro Elite or the Nyko Raven?

Nyko Raven, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Power A worked on PC as well.

You just plug it in and it is recognized as a PS3 controller. Only issue is that the triggers and all the analog buttons are considered buttons. It is a problem if you want to play a racing game and want to use the triggers as accel/brake.

I haven't used the Pro Elite Wireless because of the dead zone issue, which the Raven also has (...). If either of them fix that problem, it could be a worthy replacement. Using the Raven a bit more, it is less comfortable than the 360 controller, but I may have over exaggerated a bit about the sharp bottom.

I bought the wireless Power A ps3 controller online from walmart for 24bucks or so..it was on sale and i had my eye on it for a bit.. finally got it in the mail and i cant be any more happy with it. Its a well made sturdy gamepad for the PS3 that feels just like a 360 gamepad.

I use a wired 360 gamepad for my pc gaming for some games (not shooters) but eveyrthing else. I also do a good majority of my gaming on my 360 and even though i've owned all PS systems..it was hard for me to use the original PS3 gamepad...so i opted for the Power A and its one nice gamepad i must say.

rinse82

This one looks promising, only available in the UK right now though, but can still get it shipped to North America I believe. I think these are the same guys that make those Real Triggers? Bluetooth, and you can change the L1/L2 configuration with a flip of a switch

Only thing that looks strange to me are the face buttons.

GIOTECK ERGONOMIC FPS CONTROLLER FOR PS3

http://www.gioteck.com/wordpress/?page_id=1082

gioteck_ps3_hf_1_bluetooth_controller_ergonomic_fps_controller.jpg

Top Bottom