• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Person or Third Person? One Poll To Rule Them All.

What Gameplay Perspective Do You Prefer?

• First Person

Votes: 87 26.4%
  • Third Person

Votes: 242 73.6%

• Total voters

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It does depend on the game but more then not I prefer 3rd Person
I actually find 3rd person more immersive and engaging from a spectator view who is in control of what's unfolds.
And I feel more connected to the character.
While 1st person should be more immersive as you are the character, you know you're not, the limit moment reminds you're not and you don't connect to the character.
So there's a disconnect, and that ruins the experience for me imo.

Last edited:

JayK47

First person. I am surprised so many like to stare at ass all day. Not to mention dat ass takes up half the screen.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I am eating chicken nuggets at the moment, so first-person.

Good examples: Riddick, Mirror's Edge, Half-Life. Doom, Quake.

But considering OP also believed Druckmann was getting no flashes at the Globes, i feel his threads needs to be taken with a grain of sal.

zeroluck

Only R* does it right, I can switch freely between four different camera distances, some cutscenes in RDR2 are in first person too to increase immersion.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Have there been ANY good stories told in a first person game? I cant think of any.
What are you smoking? There's literally an entire subset of games that use first person, focused on telling detailed narratives (immersive sim/looking glass style games). Here you find Deux Ex, System Shock, Thief, Prey, Vampire: The Masquerade, Dishonored among other derivatives like Bioshock. Then there's also stuff like Half Life, Portal, Fallout, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, etc.

Last edited:
Third person for button smashers or games that focus on impressing the player with visual scenes.

First person for gameplay oriented games and immersion.

e0n

If you grew up with a PC primarily playing western games, first person is the preference for mouse+keyboard. You can tell the Indiana Jones game will probably have little climbing, and more confined environments.

Destiny 2 is one of my favorites as well. Not for the story, but some of the tightest feeling gameplay.

Really just depends on the game. I’m glad I don’t have to choose one or the other irl.

I have a soft spot for the first Mirrors Edge . I get motion sickness off first person after a while tho and I like character customisation so prefer to see that on screen

BlackTron

This poll sucks. Because of Indiana Jones now there will be a "is first or third person better" debate. Third person is better for Mario and first person is better for Halo. You're welcome Sherlock.

The only time FPS sucks is for platforming or gaming section where you're getting swarmed in any direction. Generally either is fine most of the time.

Klosshufvud

Third person! I have no idea why people want to play as a camera. It often results in worse gameplay anyways and you can't even play those games with a controller.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
First person can definitely be more immersive, but it doesn't suit all genres. Most of my favorite games are third person.

HL3.exe

As a first person enjoyer, always fun to see a "uugh, first person" thread, but never a "uugh, third person" thread.

What does that tell you?

DeepSpace5D

I have a soft spot for the first Mirrors Edge . I get motion sickness off first person after a while tho and I like character customisation so prefer to see that on screen
Mirror’s Edge was great! I have fond memories of playing it on the 360. It was cool how it was first person, but way more of a platformer than shooter.

Another really unique game that I thought was great in the first person perspective was The Witness. Kind of harkened back to the older first person puzzlers like Myst.

mortal

Gold Member
Third person! I have no idea why people want to play as a camera. It often results in worse gameplay anyways and you can't even play those games with a controller.
Unless you're playing a 2D game or sidescroller, you're technically "playing as the camera" in most 3rd person games as well.

FrankWza

It does depend on the game but more then not I prefer 3rd Person
I actually find 3rd person more immersive and engaging from a spectator view who is in control of what's unfolds.
And I feel more connected to the character.
While 1st person should be more immersive as you are the character, you know your not, the limit moment reminds you're not and you don't connect to the character.
So there's a disconnect, and that ruins the experience for me imo.
It's because first person man has no peripheral vision and no neck like man e faces
He-Man No GIF by Masters Of The Universe

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I tend to get motion sick a lot more playing first person games. Give me third person any day.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
3rd person for me. Most of my favourite games are 3rd person, souls, uncharted, TLOU, Hitman, GTA, Resident Evil, Death stranding etc etc.

I still enjoy first person but I prefer 3rd person in general.

zeroluck

You lose out on so many different movesets and are limited to basic melee and shooter combat
Nah, it is just games design/tech are stagnating, I can easily imagine an amazing first person melee system, it is just too hard to implement properly and too risky for AAA since they don't like the fact that weak gamers get motion sick. Last game that even attempted to do a half decent job is Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What are you smoking? There's literally an entire subset of games that use first person, focused on telling detailed narratives (immersive sim/looking glass style games). Here you find Deux Ex, System Shock, Thief, Prey, Vampire: The Masquerade, Dishonored among other derivatives like Bioshock. Then there's also stuff like Half Life, Portal, Fallout, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, etc.
Yeah they all suck when compared to traditionally told third person cutscenes.

Go make a thread with a poll about games with best storytelling and see how many of your games show up in the top ten. Aside from half life 2, i can’t see anything else getting in the top 10.

Just look at the gotys in the last 15 years. All narrative driven gotys are third person. Uncharted, tlou, Witcher 3, baldurs gate, dragon age, Red dead, death stranding, gow, walking dead, mass effect.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
1st Person
- Slow paced action games you can deal with them one on one
- Shooters
- Racing
- RPGs

3rd Person
- Fast paced AoE kinds of action games with tons of enemies surrounding you
- Sports
- Platformers

SkylineRKR

Ofcourse depends on the game. I prefer RE in third person, and this was confirmed for me when I played RE4R. Its hard to go back to Village unless its in VR.

Indiana Jones I would've prefered to be a third person, slower paced adventure game with actual puzzling. Avatar I would prefer to be in third person too, and I would've liked if it was more of an adventure game as well.

//DEVIL//

Any game that has shooting mechanics to it --> FPS
The only game that came close was Gears of war ( when it comes to shooting games )

But I am not going to play mario 64 in first person or over the shoulder mode.

If this was an indirect question to indiana jones game. then FPS all the way. the puzzles to solve in fps will be more fun than typical 3rd person view we had since playstation 1.

I love me some FPS games with 3D elements in it like how they are doing with indiana jones and how they did with halo. like when you drive in halo, 3rd person view, when you shoot ? fps view

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I usually prefer 3rd but having access to GP allowed me to try a lot more 1st person games I would have likely skipped. I can enjoy both. Depends on the game. Neon White is sick in 1st person. I just like variety.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Rather than repeat what others have said (i.e. -- depends on the game). I'd say it depends on the franchise too. If I play RE4, I still prefer the 6th gen 3rd-person over something like RE7 where I feel they totally dropped the ball with 1st. Well...I guess that does mean...it depends on the game.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't believe it's necessary to pic a side. COD is first person, love me some COD. God of War is 3rd person. Love me some God of War.

I'm sorry but I don't limit myself by generalizing dislike to something as inconsequential as POV.

MiguelItUp

Depends on the game tbh.
Couldn't agree more. Depends on the game/IP, the developer involved, the type of game being made, etc.

FPS was my favorite because Wolfenstein 3-D made such an impact on me as a child. There was nothing else that looked like that or played like that at the time. DOOM just took it steps further. But I still love TPS as well. I just love good games that I enjoy.

I think the amusing thing is IF Indiana Jones WAS TPS (depending on how it was handled) I'm sure a lot of people would compare it to things that we've already seen in the past. At least this way we can say we've never seen this in FPS. But what I'm trying to say is you can't make everyone happy, especially before the game comes out and people know how it is.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Always third person. I usually don’t play first person games, exceptions being titles like Portal and Bioshock. The moment CD Projekt Red announced that Cyberpunk 2077 was first person only, I immediately lost interest. I could give it a shot, but there’s plenty of other stuff to play.

Gears of War? The Division? Hell yes. Battlefield? Call of Duty? No thanks.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
1st person is generally better for shooting games, 3rd person for melee type games. But both can work vice versa. I only ever see '3rd person or not interested people' so 1st person wins just for not making people become closed minded.

poodaddy

First person by far, but to each his own. I always switch to first person if a game lets me do so, even if it's more of a third person title. I just can't stand a model taking up a third of my field of view, just seems pointless to me.

Imagine saying this when we have Cyberpunk 2077, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Half Life 2, System Shock 2, Bioshock 1, Deus Ex 1, Deus Ex Human Rev, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, the Dishonored series.
Every single one is memorable even with dated graphics because they put immersion first. I am still in awe of the descent to Rapture, the intricate streets of Hengsha in Deus Ex Human Rev, the Wasteland in Fallout 3, City 17 in Half Life 2, Clocktower Mansion in Dishonored. I remember all of it vividly because I walked it in fp.

Top Bottom