• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't you like first person shooters?

Why don't you like FPS games?

• I hate the camera.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I game using a controller mainly and the FPSs i tried played horribly with one.

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • I just don't like western devs in general (and by extension FPSs since most of them are western)

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I associate specific subtypes of FPSs i dislike (military, retro, etc) with FPS games in general

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I played very few to none of them, and just can't bring myself to try

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don't know

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Some other reason

Votes: 22 12.6%
  • I like them but i want to vote the poll

Votes: 114 65.1%

• Total voters

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I like single player FPS these days. The use to make me insanely sick with “ immersive head bob “ 🤢

Mp just isn’t fun for me.
Using a controller is too hard and using a MK is too easy.

Plus I have a family and a live .. so there’s that. 😒

Some FPS games I really enjoy but I've never cared for the realistic military theme so COD and Battlefield don't do much for me. Also certain first person games make me motion sick. The modern Doom games I love but only could play them for maybe an hour at a time before I needed to take a break.

zeldaring

Banned
But you mostly see hands and feet, what I’m talking about is full character animation.
4ACC99CE3A02A01434E6DA4283EB6C76C4F88F15

057D06CCBF628DF5F37264B64F5C116332C9E125
This game is definition of badass. what a game.

As for the topic i like FPS just don't feel they are as immersive cause of reasons like you seen this gif.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Another case, in melee combat for example, with first person i can directly point where i want my attack to hit, head, legs, hands, etc; You don't have that type of control when you're playing on third person.
Ugh:sick: I absolutely can’t stand melee combat in FPS, for me it’s pure trash. I can’t even imagine play games like Sekiro or Bayonetta in first person.

Also like I said before in last post I want to see character animate, ESPECIALLY in melee combat.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I find the first person perspective limiting in terms of the view and gameplay. Plus it always feels like you're controlling a big camera on wheels with a gun attached instead of an actual character. There have been a few games where the view is beneficial but I could probably count them on hand.

Cashon

Banned
It sometimes seems as though, lately, more and more people prefer third-person perspective over first-person in single-player games.

My running hypothesis is that it's because some subset of (predominantly younger) gamers have a sort of vicarious narcissism to which the third-person perspective appeals. This partially explains the popularity of cosmetic dlc.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

My dad doesn't understand FPP, he thinks I'm just controlling a disembodied or possessed floating gun, LOL.

I got a friend who is a HUGE Resident Evil fan but he never touched 7 and 8 because they're in FP. He was all over RE8 once it got the 3rd person update, though.

Reasons why I don't play First Person Shooters

1. I suck at them
2. I don't like how you can't see your character
3. The camera can annoy me
4. Usually the game premise don't interest me

I only ever completed 4 FPS, they were Bioshock Remastered, Bioshock Infinite, Prey and Resident Evil 8

I recently got Far Cry 5 off a Steam Sale. Played it on easy and dropped it due to a section with alot enemies.

Another example is the first Deus Ex game made by SquareEnix. I got stuck early on due to you guessed it enemies and dropped it

I'll be playing the Dishonored and Fear games next year.

Last edited:
My dad doesn't understand FPP, he thinks I'm just controlling a disembodied or possessed floating gun, LOL.

I got a friend who is a HUGE Resident Evil fan but he never touched 7 and 8 because they're in FP. He was all over RE8 once it got the 3rd person update, though.

I didn't know they added a Third Person mode

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
There isn’t any innovation in the genre. The polish is very well done in a game like Doom Eternal.

I’d like to see the extraction shooter of Tarkov be done well in a competent studios hand. It’s why I’m really excited for Marathon.

Last edited:

thegame983

Destiny ruined shooters for me.

No other shooter comes close to its gameplay, but I would also rather gouge out my eyes then play destiny again.

Aenima

Because alot FPS are braindead arena games that you play in the same map over and over just to have a kill count. If a FPS has a good story to follow, i like them. Games like Half Life, Cyberpunk, Metro, Chronicles of Riddick, Deux Ex and some more.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Doom Eternal is one of the best games ever made in modern times. Doom is one of the best games ever made in classic times. The FPS genre is alive and well with cod games releasing yearly with record breaking sales, boomer shooters on steam are selling like hot bread, who told you no one likes FPS's? Maybe experience gaming outside of gaf, the people here are a minority.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I like FPS for multiplayer. Controller autoaim along with crossplay ruined the balancing. I now have to play perfect with a mouse to use a sniper rifle how a controller player can easily. I still play, but not as much, and took my motivation out of buying many games.

Overwatch doesn't have this problem but the entire rest of the game got ruined with 2.

Anybody know of other modern games without this issue?

Vandole

I just suck at them. Generally, I don't like games I'm not good at.

But I did make an exception with Bulletstorm. That was fun.

Guilty_AI

You know well I didnt mean everyone. It was a generalization based on your generalization. Fine change the word no one to people.
Theres a darn big difference between "plenty don't like" to "no one likes" even as generalizations. But whatever, i'm not discussing semantics, go lick sand or something.

Danjin44

Funny how you derailed my question because you know your main question/topic is dumb af. Go eat sand or whatever.
Calm down no one is saying is FPS is not popular, its one of the most popular genre out there...his just simply asking why some people in GAF don't enjoy them.

BbMajor7th

They're just a bit awkward. When you stop to imagine how your character might look with every item held permanently at chest height, it's hard to unsee.

I also think most first-persons aren't first person at all - they're second person. Every other character talks directly at you, which makes the narrative come across in second person. It's weird in books, it would be very weird in movies and it's pretty weird in video games too.

I suspect it's so popular with Western devs as we tend to have a more egocentric mindset - the story should be about 'us' rather than someone else - you see this in the marketing too: 'Be the Batman', 'Become Legend', etc.

Me, I don't want to be 'in' the story, I want to watch it unfold, I don't want characters to look me dead in the eye and say 'You do remember me don't you?', I want them to interact with one another, and I don't want to watch my character do daft things pouring water over one hand to heal themselves because that's basically all the artists had to work.with.

I also look at it as a compromise from the early days (like fixed cameras and pre-rendered backdrops). We made do because fully body animations were very hard to get right and make control well. Now we've cracked that, first person feels like pastiche.

/Rant (y'all did ask though)

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Calm down no one is saying is FPS is not popular, its one of the most popular genre out there...his just simply asking why some people in GAF don't enjoy them.

I cringe when people say calm down as if im punching or raging lmao. He was being a dick and I replied in the same manner. States he aint here to argue semantics, yet the first thing he does is argue semantics. First of all, his topic is called "why dont you like fps's", not "why MOST of you.." or "why SOME of you" which easily implies everyone. Calm down.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I cringe when people say calm down as if im punching or raging lmao. He was being a dick and I replied in the same manner. States he aint here to argue semantics, yet the first thing he does is argue semantics. First of all, his topic is called "why dont you like fps's", not "why MOST of you.." or "why SOME of you" which easily implies everyone. Calm down.
Ok then don't clam down...carry on.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

The last sp fps game I recall playing and completing was the 1st Crysis on pc. They just got monotonous like 3d space invaders. If you're under a certain age you probably can't relate to that description so much. lol.

I just got tired of the "gimmick." The mowing down of 1000s of dumb AI soldiers/monsters. But from 1995-2005, I was playing lots of fps shooters. Eventually just became been there, done that. Graphics are much nicer these days. But the worlds are still largely static.

mp fps games are a different story. I was still playing those up until the past year or two when I got out of the habit and haven't got back into it.

Helping me not get back into the habit is a mild distaste for the general community in those games and a lack of matchmaking. Wasn't a huge fan of the new shop til you drop trend in fps gaming either, ie BR games. Felt like they could have streamlined the shop til you drop part. Who knew players would love spending the first 5-10 minutes every game picking the same sort of stuff up off the ground before shooting each other? Nevermind love dying right away and doing all the loading and shop until you drop again. Also was getting tired of all the time spent in menus tweaking settings. And constant patching. You get used to something and they change it. Half the time for the worse. Bugs didn't help.

I did get into playing Splatoon 2 mp for a year or so when it was released. And thought that was well done. 3rd person shooter though technically speaking.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I voted "I've tried very few or none..."

Not because I explicitly dislike FPS, just because like...it's usually not a genre that catches my eye. There are exceptions, albeit dated ones. Counter Strike, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Metroid Prime series, RE7 and 8. If it's a game that's getting rave reviews from people I trust, or if the setting or story catches my eye, I'll play the shit out of it.

Are you sure?
clone-twin.gif
Arrested Development Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Actual answer: It's hard to say...between not being that good at many of them, struggling to find a control setup for them that clicks, etc...first person games are up there with turn based rpgs in genres I play less compared to more of my favorite genres. However, there are a few first person games I enjoy the heck out of like Quake 1, ZombiU, the Bioshock games, Metroid Prime series that hit certain satisfaction zones that trascend these and make me enjoy first person.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Three reasons I can identify:

1. In one way, I find them boring. The actions required are very simple -- aim cursor, pull trigger, pew pew, boom boom, kill this guy, kill that guy. (I know that's a little reductionistic.) I've played enough, so that I get a "been there, done that" feel.

2. In another way, though, I find them too tense/exciting. The games are always trying to ratchet up your excitement, keep you on your toes, stoke your adrenalin. Over the long haul, I find that tiring rather than enjoyable. I prefer a more relaxed experience.

3. The stories and characters usually are pretty basic. It's all about the action. That's fine, but I like games with interesting characters and storylines.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I do.

IMO we’re just currently in a poor period for the genre.

We peaked in this time period:

Halo 3 2007
MW 2007
MW2 2009
Halo Reach 2010
Battlefield 3 2011

Haven’t touched the quality of any of those games since.

Apex Legends good concept but I don’t like BR games. Titanfall I didn’t like the bots, mechs or low population. CoD has never been better than those 2 games since and Battlefield is a joke now.
If I may be pedantic, I agree that the relative greatness to their contemporaries has not been surpassed by modern FPS games. FPS games now are just as good as those--but it's just not enough.

tusharngf

only played pubg in the past 10 years that too on PC. Apart from that cod4 and few other cod titles. Its a dead genre anyway as no one is making good fps games.

Last edited:
I don't dislike them, just feels like most of 'em aren't made for me anymore. Lots of BR games. Lots of narrative-driven cinematic games. Lots of co-op. Lots of MTX. Quality has seemingly dropped across the board. Because of that I just don't pay much attention to them anymore.

I tried Hell let Loose, which is cool, but it runs like shit and is a bit too hardcore for me.

Now that I think of it, I wonder how that SWAT successor is coming along.

Top Bottom