• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't you like first person shooters?

Why don't you like FPS games?

• I hate the camera.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I game using a controller mainly and the FPSs i tried played horribly with one.

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • I just don't like western devs in general (and by extension FPSs since most of them are western)

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I associate specific subtypes of FPSs i dislike (military, retro, etc) with FPS games in general

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I played very few to none of them, and just can't bring myself to try

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don't know

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Some other reason

Votes: 22 12.6%
  • I like them but i want to vote the poll

Votes: 114 65.1%

• Total voters

Guilty_AI

I don't dislike them, just feels like most of 'em aren't made for me anymore. Lots of BR games. Lots of narrative-driven cinematic games. Lots of co-op. Lots of MTX. Quality has seemingly dropped across the board. Because of that I just don't pay much attention to them anymore.

I tried Hell let Loose, which is cool, but it runs like shit and is a bit too hardcore for me.

Now that I think of it, I wonder how that SWAT successor is coming along.
Hm, i imagine you aren't into retro-shooters? They come in quite a nice variety today

KXVXII9X

I don't hate them exactly, but I feel like they have been a dominate genre so long in gaming that it gets old. Also, most FPS are multiplayer and Gaas these days which are not my thing. I wouldn't mind more martial arts focused combat in games. With that said, Splatoon 2 is one of the most fun games I ever played, (when I could get it connected) So I don't hate them all.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I never see my hands when I'm walking in real life. But in FPS there they are bobbing in front of me the whole time. That's not immersive, that's nauseating.
With a gun in your hands? Yes, you see. Never held a gun/airsoft gun?

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I’m just controlling floating camera.
But controlling a 3rd person/character/doll in front of you is more immersive?

The floating camera is supposed to be your eyes.

mir-rooftop2.jpg

CLW

Ever since one random day playing Golden Eye on N64 (like countless times before) I suffer from motion/simulation sickness within 5 minutes of ANY FPS game I don’t even bother trying anymore as I have no desire to puke my guts out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Personally, I think a lot of gamers who don’t like fps don’t necessarily hate shooters at all. They might like playing action or shooter games third person mode because when you play in this mode you can cheat by hiding behind a wall or a barrel or around the corner but still see what’s in front of you. Campers paradise.

Gears of war has everyone ducking under 3 ft walls scouring what’s around them or hiding around a corner looking for a guy to stroll right into them. Can’t really do that in fps games unless it has a peak mechanic. Most don’t. You duck under a ledge you see bricks like real life.

Last edited:

bbeach123

I like "good fps": Cyberpunk , starfield for exam and Hate "bad fps" like kingdom come , rdr2/gta .

Yea I know I can switch between mode in some of these game but you get my idea. Would totally play the whole rdr2 in fps mode if its not that fucking bad . Maybe even skyrim tier would be do-able .

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I don’t care for the visuals, the design and the professional warrior rhetorics of most of them. I love Doom, both the original and the fantastic 2016 reboot, but I have no interest in the likes of Halo, COD etc. I just need to know who the bad guys are, spare me the tripe of your Hollywood wannabe “story”. The dull visuals of the 7th gen, when especially this genre as a whole looked like a brown and sickly yellow mess, did its best to keep me away.

One other thing is, I like my shooters to keep things simple. No secondary functions on my weapons, no hectic acrobatics, no color-coded refuel stations (hello, Doom Eternal). If I have to think while blasting demons to pieces in a landscape that looks like a mishmash of ten metal album covers, I’ll go play a puzzler instead.

With good animation not only it’s more fun and also more immersive to me.
Agreed, and it has to be done right. If not, either the controls will not feel good, or the animation will look too janky.

The actual thing that needs to be innovated with first person games is the knowledge of things to your left and right, and the feeling of things behind you. There has to be some kind of way to simulate peripheral vision better and also the “feeling” you get when someone is behind you, like in real life. Even in VR there’s this slight loss of both, and enemies will usually already have hit you if they’re behind you, with the only indicator they are behind you being that you were already damaged.

It’s the same issue with driving games. The first person dashboard camera is not representative of how you would see in an actual car. Imagine needing to turn your head almost fully just to be aware of the passenger side front window area.

Guilty_AI

Sorry for the bump, but i didn't want to create another thread for this.

Someone made a video talking about just this subject.

saintjules

I guess for me I prefer the cinematic style approach. With 3rd person it just isn't that. And you need to have a good handle on an 1st person control scheme (ie. Turning around alot) to attack enemies properly? Maybe that's a me thing.

Guilty_AI

And you need to have a good handle on an 1st person control scheme (ie. Turning around alot) to attack enemies properly? Maybe that's a me thing.
That seems more of a problem with the input device. Turning around a lot with a mouse isn't as much of an issue as with the controller. Some games even have to offer half-baked solutions like a dedicated 180 degree camera-turn button.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Good thread and good bump Guilty_AI Guilty_AI

I don't like not being able to see my characters immediate surroundings. Everything is more certain in 3rd person. Half the time when an AI guard or another player sees me in 1st person I'm surprised or I don't expect it. When it happens in 3rd person I immediately see my mistake.

Guilty_AI

Good thread and good bump Guilty_AI Guilty_AI

I don't like not being able to see my characters immediate surroundings. Everything is more certain in 3rd person. Half the time when an AI guard or another player sees me in 1st person I'm surprised or I don't expect it. When it happens in 3rd person I immediately see my mistake.
Yeah, situational awareness is something i hear people saying too. I imagine in an MP match, seeing the exact position of your character model will help knowing whether someone else is seeing you through a corner or not.

Because most pure first person shooters are boring as fuck. They haven't evolved at all and are pretty much the exact same as they have always been. Actually, they're worse because nobody can be bothered to create a decent campaign anymore. Only ones that have been legit good in the last 10 years is both doom games and titanfall 2.

Guilty_AI

Because most pure first person shooters are boring as fuck. They haven't evolved at all and are pretty much the exact same as they have always been. Actually, they're worse because nobody can be bothered to create a decent campaign anymore. Only ones that have been legit good in the last 10 years is both doom games and titanfall 2.
You think so? I played so many 'pure' FPSs with great campaigns, some better than the new DOOM games. Like DUSK, AMID EVIL, HROT, and playing through Turbo Overkill currently.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It just matter of taste, I like good animation in games and you get most of that in 3rd person games rather first person.

I mean when you have beautiful character design, why would I want to play it in first person?
rRQ9QeA.gif

Last edited:
I dislike military FPS like COD, Battlefield, etc but like the less realistic arena shooters like DOOM, Shadow Warrior 3 and Splitgate.

Guilty_AI

It just matter of taste, I like good animation in games and you get most of that in 3rd person games rather first person.

I mean when you have beautiful character design, why would I want to play it in first person?
rRQ9QeA.gif
I'd argue first person lets you appreciate the world and enviroment much better in comparison

Unreal+Engine%2Ftech-blog%2Famid-evil-crafting-3d-weapons-into-2d-sprites%2Fmace2gif-4dd36fca53e91ba0d1ea41c0b2b9398053f79ea8.gif

Unreal+Engine%2Ftech-blog%2Famid-evil-crafting-3d-weapons-into-2d-sprites%2FAxe-walk-e6e283d19129ae5e6d903c1bab0554c0a5a533c3.gif

Danjin44

I'd argue first person lets you appreciate the world and enviroment much better in comparison
I can appreciate both the world and character in 3rd person game....I appreciated Elden Ring's world and most FROM's game's world a lot while still be in 3rd person.
vv91pq57e5o81.gif

Last edited:

Danjin44

It lacks that degree of personal proximity tho

a0c006e3d4546d092759265ec34c9ec56f2a07f3.gifv

4340ded193c603911a83479ce404f2d2748e0e20.gifv
I might have agree with you in VR but in flat screen.....not really.

For me I enjoy the environment in third person waaaaaaay more, not even close.
9yugvn57e5o81.gif

Like I said it just matter of taste, you enjoy FPS and I just dont.

Edit: You can’t enjoy these godtier animations in FPS.
MT53tg5.gif

87ee716e965f1f9b9bfbe1becd02d4fe.gif

Last edited:

CZY

It’s a lot like rock & roll — it’s not that the genre is “dead” per se (it is), but more that it’s just all been done.

Like, Greta Van Fleet or whatever — it’s not that they suck, just like Atomic Heart doesn’t suck, it’s that we’ve seen this act 150 times already.

I have my opinions on what would make for a badass FPS, but it probably wouldn’t sell so who gives a shit. That kinda thing.

bender

What time is it?
I grew up as the genre grew up and loved them dearly, but for the last decade or thereabouts, I think I've see most of what the genre has to offer and it feels played out. Every now and then, something will grab me: most recently Dusk and before that was probably Titanfall 2's campaign. It doesn't help that I've largely checked out of competitive multi-player games.

I like some, but dislike others. I am not exactly sure why. Maybe it has something to do with horror, military, space sci-fi, and open world adventures not mixing well with FPS for me.
+ Zero Tolerance, Duke Nukem 3D, Goldeneye, Half-Life, TimeSplitters, Bioshock, The Darkness, and Wolfenstein: The Old Blood I enjoy.
- Doom, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Left 4 Dead, Dead Island, Borderlands, Far Cry, Destiny, Cyberpunk, and Resident Evil 7/Village I dislike.

Last edited:

Paasei

I used to like them very much and even played competitively for as far as that went back in the day. Played a ton of Quake, MoHAA, CoD, CoD2 and CoD4 pam(early version of the latter) and promod.

After that my interest dropped with CS:GO being the only competitive one that was also very actice. I just couldn’t get into.

Then I liked R6Siege for a long time, but they decided to add so many characters, which for me killed the game. All that “variery” somehow killed the tension of it.

Never really bothered with FPS after, apart from some singleplayer only games.

There’s some indie FPS that I find interesting, but I’m just too worried they die too quickly.

Last edited:

KaitoTheElf

Neo Member
I never really enjoyed FPS games or really shooters in general with the sole exception of Warframe. I just perfer games focused mostly around melee weapons since guns tend to bore me.

gtabro

Never thought I'd play anything even half-seriously on a phone but CoD Mobile is actually very good, and the ads/shop things are not that intrusive or spammy either.
The strange times when a phone CoD is better than any recent installment...

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I love them, but just wanted to participate.

Just bought Boltgun and I can't wait to blast some Chaos scum!

Rayderism

I don't like first-person view because of the lack of peripheral. In 3rd-person, you at least have some sense of what's going on around you. If something comes up behind you or to your side, you can see it, so you have a better chance of defending against it. First-person feels like having blinders on.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I think FPS is my favorite genre. Years ago I might have said JRPGs or adventure games in some cases but I have the most fun playing single player FPS at this point. Im really waiting for the next ID game but luckily there are a lot of retro shooters to take up my time.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I don't like first-person view because of the lack of peripheral. In 3rd-person, you at least have some sense of what's going on around you. If something comes up behind you or to your side, you can see it, so you have a better chance of defending against it. First-person feels like having blinders on.

Fair point but invest in some nice stereo headphones and if the game is mixed well this wont be an issue.

After playing a lot of Doom WADS i feel like i have seen everything FPS has to offer really, and age has decreased my reaction times motoric abilities with mouse precision so FPS is ticked off as games i can play. - Was fun while it lasted though

TheStam

I grew up on them and want to like them but I just don't. Wolfestein, Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem.. I loved them.

I've tried the new Doom games, Titanfall 2, boomer shooters like Dusk, but they all just seem to bore me. I feel dead inside playing them, I guess taste really does change.

I seem to only enjoy Battlefield games in multiplayer and single player RPGs like Cyberpunk when it comes to FPS systems.

BlackTron

First person is great for shooting, but I wouldn't even mind if 3D Metroid was third-person instead...there, I said it. Just depends on the game mechanics and style really

Guilty_AI

You usually get peripheral vision with a good FOV setting. In the video i posted, he mentions how low FOV is one of the main problems with FPS games on consoles that might put people off from them.

Last edited:
*Prefer to see the character on screen particularly when there is customisation options

* I find them quite boring particularly the military ones like Call of Duty

adamosmaki

I love single player fps games. Its just in the last 10-15 years most fps are some live service BS and i couldn't care any less for those types of games. Just give me a great single player campaign

Last edited:

Knot3D

I prefer third person because with FPS they lack something to make your player character feel truly physically 'planted' into the game world - I prefer to see the character's footing. All the FPS developer effects like shakey cam/head bobbing just make me seasick.
Also, a screen or even VR kit just don't match my real eyes' fov, making it the opposite of immersive to me.

The only FPS games I liked:
GoldenEye64
Half LIfe 2 but it made me seasick.

Top Bottom