• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Person or Third Person? One Poll To Rule Them All.

What Gameplay Perspective Do You Prefer?

• First Person

Votes: 87 26.4%
  • Third Person

Votes: 242 73.6%

• Total voters

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Gaf, this is your chance to pick a side, go on the record, and defend your preference below or shit on mine.

My opinion? First person sucks. It ruined Cyberpunk. It ruined Avatar. And it's going to ruin Indiana Jones and Avowed. Avowed gameplay looks so bland. Who the fuck decided to make a melee combat game first person anyway? Imagine DMC or GOW in first person. You cant because it would be retarded. Everyone loves Cyberpunk nowadays, but I am convinced that part of the reason why it had a lukewarm response was because these fantastic storytellers over at CD Project went from a third person Geralt to being forced to tell a story in first person cutscenes where you cant even see the fucking character you built with dicks and tits. Never bothered to finish it but I saw that the ending was third person. So even they realized they fucked up and couldnt end the story without switching to third person cutscenes. At least Indiana Jones has third person cutscenes.

Have there been ANY good stories told in a first person game? I cant think of any. It is insane how limiting it is from a gameplay point of view too. You lose out on so many different movesets and are limited to basic melee and shooter combat. Whats frustrating is that you can have first person views in third person games. GTA5, MGS4 and MGSV, and RDR2 all have first person modes for you psychos out there so you can do both. Let the rest of us have some good animations, enhanced movesets and some fucking connection with the protagonist FFS.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wtf, a game can be whatever it wants to be and be awesome.

If its third person and great, cool. If its first person and great cool,too.

I can't even begin to explain how many amazing games I've played in first person. Why should every game be the same third person game?

Half life 1 and 2 are up there with the greatest games ever made. Metroid prime...titanfall 2....Doom...I could go on forever.

Last edited:
I like both and it depends on the game, but third person is my personal preference.

DtLWzAD.gif

DJ12

I really don't like first person shooters, played doom to death and liked it with a friend using a link cable on the OG PlayStation.

Not really liked anything in the genre since.

Games that offer both, I do use first person mode (this is limited to Fallout and Skyrim though) as the 3rd person mode in those is jank.

GT7, first person mode all the way.

everything else 3rd person I guess.

HL3.exe

Both. But slightly prefer First person for immersive of the world, instead of puppeteering a visible character on screen. But I like both.

But i'm a Mouse & Keyboard enjoyer, and First Person using m&k makes all the difference.

First Person with a controller is less intuitive. Third person feel alright.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Both can be fine but I like my adventure games to be third person. That and I just never much cared for storytelling in first person. I like it for competitive shooters but that’s about it.

Flabagast

This poll is ultra dumb imho

It really depends on the game, I though it was greatly used in Cyperbunk with a lot of innovation in dialog delivery (you don't find anything like it in any other game), but I also love third person camera in other games.

simpatico

Depends on the slop tbh. The only justification for third person I can think of is stealth and full body action games like Elden Ring, where every inch of your hitbox matters.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Has this place gone mad?

What's happened?

Do people not remember bioshock, deus ex, Doom, wolfenstein, far cry, half life, f.e.a.r, timesllitters, quake, metro, borderlands, dying light, goldeneye, no one lives forever, Call of duty, left 4 dead, Halo combat evolved, half life 2....

Actually, what am I doing. Dumb thread is dumb...

No good story's in first person lmao.....

Saber

Gold Member
Depends.

Games like Indianna Jones would clearly make good use of 3rd person so to see animations and of course seeing the model of Indy, either through battle or plataforming.

Games like Cyberpunk should make use of hybrid, acting in some sort like Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Call of Duty eske games can go full 1rt person because you're more focused on the shooting and don't give a single fuck about the guy you are playing.

In my case I like the hybrid version, ala Deus Ex.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Depends on the genre. For shooters, first-person is almost universally my preference. For games like RPGs, though, I'm okay with both perspectives, but my favorite ones happen to be third-person.

Third person. I can tolerate first person to an extent but I’m tired of it if anything.

Especially with RPGs and action games. I like to see the character in game and in cutscenes. I don’t like RPGs with character creators and different armour/clothing/customisations and you barely, if it all see it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
They both have their uses. I don't agree with OP's contention about CP2077 at all, I think first person drew you into the world, the characters, the story, very effectively. But I think it's a big mistake for Indiana Jones - you're putting the main character off screen! It's really silly. There's a reason why these recognizable, iconic, instantly noticeable characters in vidya are all 3rd person -Lara Croft, Nathan Drake, etc. And for a game that is focused on puzzles and stuff, it's just a really weird choice.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Depends on the game and gameplay style. I like both viewpoints though.
If you put a gun to my head though i'd say first person is my fave, but i like both.

Loope

I like both. I tend to prefer 1st person in shooters though and 3rd person on action games. But if i like a game i couldn't care less about 1st or 3rd person.

Fbh

If I have to choose then definitely third person. There are way more third person games I like and overall I think it allows for a wider variety of games.

But both are fine and both work well with certain types of games. Some of my favourite games of last gen like Titanfall 2, Doom Eternal and Outer Wilds are first person and I couldn't imagine them in third person.

Doom85

Depends on the game.

With something like Indiana Jones, it annoys me because he’s an established character that I want to see myself controlling.

But take Bioshock Infinite. Even if there had been no prior Bioshocks to set the precedent of the series being first person, I still wouldn’t mind as I had never met Booker before playing so I wasn’t feeling robbed of getting to see myself controlling him.

EDMIX

Depends on the game tbh.

I love both for 2 different reasons.

I prefer 3rd person, but certain RPGs I love first person too.

but by default, I'd say most of what I play is 3rd person .

mortal

Gold Member
I don't have a preference. There is no shortage of terrible 1st person games or terrible 3rd person games, and some of the best games I've ever played fall into either category.
It has little to do with determining the quality of a game in my experience.

T4keD0wN

(Cyberpunk is a big improvement in every single way from Witcher 3, aside from the draw distance)

Why single out first person? Ill throw a question right back at you. Have there been ANY good stories told in a third person game? cant think of any.

Embrace books, isometric infinite engine games and visual novels, they tell good stories. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
3rd person gives you back the feedback you lack in 1st person. You see your character and you see where you are in environment and it’s easier to connect to the character. It’s easier to see enemies and manage melee attacks.

Of course also fps is good for less character driven games like half life or killzone

Three

When the position of the character, his limbs or opponents is important then third person. That's why first person isn't as popular as third person in games that have platforming (mario, astrobot, etc), climbing, swinging, and melee combat (TR, Uncharted, Assassins creed, GoW, etc).

If I'm mostly aiming at things and nothing else, sitting in a vehicle or ride, or interacting with objects, then first person.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
There should have been different options in the poll:

- I only play 1st person games
- I only play 3rd person games
- I play both but I prefer 1st person
- I play both but I prefer 3rd person

Because I'd really like to know what percentage of games refuses to play the new Indy games.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Depends on the game for me, overall I prefer FPS as its what realy got me into games, but I love 3rd person aswell. I do have a problem with both Xbox and Sony at the moment though, it seems Xbox is going for first person for everything and Sony are heavy on 3rd person, I feel fatigue on both sides, mainly Xbox. For a proper shooter its got to be FP, the odd RPG can get away with it, but for eg that new Indiana Jones im not sold on right now. Sony have the lack of first person game right now and it dosnt look like thats changeing.

Top Bottom