• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve Makes "Boomer Shooter" An Official Genre On Steam

With literally thousands of games launching on Steam every year, sometimes it can be difficult to find the exact game you're looking for--especially when that game falls into a larger genre like first-person-shooters. Valve has made it easier for retro-minded shooter fans to find their next game, as the label "boomer shooter" has been added to Steam's database.
The term "boomer shooter" refers to any FPS which bears a resemblance to the original Doom's format--whether the game in question is an original early '90s classic like Doom or a modern indie title like Turbo Overkill or Dusk. As of this writing, a total of 64 games fall into the category, a list which includes Star Wars: Dark Forces, Ion Fury, Warhammer 40K: Boltgun, and more.

The term "boomer shooter" became a running joke within the team behind the aforementioned Dusk, which launched in 2018. Andrew Hulshult, who composed music for Dusk and other similar titles like Amid Evil and Prodeus, said on X that the team saw it being used to describe the original Doom, so they "ran with it because it was funny."
The Boomer Shooter label is now active on Steam, along with its own separate page for easy access to each game. Along with the titles mentioned above, the page also lists a handful of upcoming titles, which include Agent 64: Spies Never Die--a tribute to retro FPS Goldeneye 64--and Mouse, which pulls from the now-public Steamboat Willie era of Mickey Mouse.
3Z4Snpl.png

GHG

Sub genre names that keep getting used have always been dumb.

'Metroidvania' 'Soulsborne' and 'Immersive Sim' said hello.

Souls-like is the term most commonly used.

I think they are useful for determining what type of game it is beyond the face of it.

chlorate

It’s descriptive but in 5-10 years the 30+ year old boomer zoomers grew up playing stuff like CS:GO and Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 that is very different

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I am glad that atleast it groups these kinds of games together as it became more difficult to find all the obscure ones. - Actually this is my fave genre.

Regardless of grievances people may have with the term, its good to have a tag that packs these games all together.
Yes, because it really doesn't matter if the term used is accurate, truthful, fitting or whatever. The only thing that really counts when tagging products for people to be able to find them is *drumroll*: if people are actually USING the term. "boomer shooter" has long been established as the de facto categorization, whether you like it or not. That's why storefronts use it. If enough users like to reference a subgenre by "UIEFNJKANAO" in the future, that'll be a tag on Steam eventually.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
As an old fart I’ve grown to accept the term, even if it doesn’t make sense.

I’m happy there’s a distinction though. At least with Boomer Shooters I know I’m looking at the best shooters on the market that won’t have microtransactions, Battle Passes, and other Gen Z trash.

DaGwaphics

LOL. Boomers were a little older than the people playing these games in the 90s weren't they? Everybody knows what they are referring to though so it works.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It seems a bit humorous to me, so I like that. Companies mostly behave like lifeless robots, or are way too politically correct.
It's not politically incorrect to insult older people with life experiences who actually know what they're talking about, so Boomer Shooter isn't a reach.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
LOL. Boomers were a little older than the people playing these games in the 90s weren't they? Everybody knows what they are referring to though so it works.
Boomers did not play 90s FPS games.

Boomers did play and make these games hence the naming. A boomer would be what, around 30 when these games were made and came out in the 90s? You're saying when you're 30 you dont play games? Gaf really likes to act like they know shit. They're not called "boomer shooters" because only boomers play them ffs.

Last edited:
Boomers did play and make these games hence the naming. A boomer would be what, around 30 when these games were made and came out? You're saying when you're 30 you dont play games? Gaf really likes to act like they know shit.
John Carmack, John Romero and their contemporaries were mostly Gen X.

The term boomer shooter actually stems from the "30 year-old boomer" memes that originated on 4chan, some of which notably featured the titular 30 year-old boomer playing Quake and other 90s shooters.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
John Carmack, John Romero and their contemporaries were mostly Gen X.

The term boomer shooter actually stems from the "30 year-old boomer" memes that originated on 4chan, some of which notably featured the titular 30 year-old boomer playing Quake and other 90s shooters.

Isnt boomer under 80's? Carmack was born in the 70 and Romero is even older. They're 100% boomers. But it doesnt even matter. Retro shooter sounds lame af. in a few years call of duty will be a retro shooter, hell the first one most likely is.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I guess it's just a meme tag, sure it's effective because the majority knows what it's referring to. But retro shooter would probably have more and better footing. At least it's nice to see they still have some humor though.

Tams

'Generations' are a losely defined load of mostly nonsense.

But in no description of them at all are any of those who were really into early shooters 'boomers'.

Sounds like some early 20-something at Valve had a brainfart.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Boomers did play and make these games hence the naming. A boomer would be what, around 30 when these games were made and came out in the 90s? You're saying when you're 30 you dont play games? Gaf really likes to act like they know shit. They're not called "boomer shooters" because only boomers play them ffs.

Mid thirties to mid forties in the ‘90s.

Most of the people making those classic shooters were in their twenties.

John Romero is Gen X, and developed Wolfenstein 3D at 25.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Good Lord chill out guys, it's just a funny little title. If we're gonna make fun of Era type folks for being easily offended little snowflakes, then we shouldn't be over here getting offended by this harmless genre title. It's catchy, and it's in the zeitgeist, might as well just accept it.

Portugeezer

Sub genre names that keep getting used have always been dumb.

'Metroidvania' 'Soulsborne' and 'Immersive Sim' said hello.
They're not dumb but they're not always used well. For example, Metroidvania would be a great descriptor for when I want to know a game is not just a 2D action platformer and has an emphasis on exploration through new abilities... a lot of times it's just used for random 2D sidescrollers.

Top Bottom