• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Revenge Trailer (June 22, 2023)

//DEVIL//

Let’s not be so quick to call the PC version superior these days. This is the era of #stutterStruggle. Look at the complaints of stuttering in the PC version of FF7R. Even when it comes to PC, it’ll be on the Epic store for a year before it comes to Steam.

PC is my main platform but nowadays I just consider it to be different rather than superior. Being able to play the game on day one and having it be a smooth experience counts a lot imho.
Just because some games on unreal engine 4 stutters doesn’t mean it’s the case for all. Shaders needs to be optimized before the actual game start and some devs still can’t figure it out lol. Gears of war is an unreal 4 engine and open word in the same way final fantasy 7 remake is and yet no stuttering ! .
And only unreal engine 4 has this problem. Look at the stunning new warhammer fps game on pc that was just recently released. Smokes any unreal 4 engine game out there and no stuttering.

But back to the topic. If games were cheaper. Double dipping wouldn’t be an issue . Especially when you can wait for a sale for the game on pc. But dude, final fantasy 16 on the store is the most expensive standard game. Every other game is 90$ when that game is 94$ plus tax . Imagine paying 200$ for just 2 standard copies of a single game. Now you want 3 or 4 games this year really badly ? Oh yeah let’s not save anything and live on noodles because fuck everything else lol

Should probably call it something else by now, like "Final Witcher of Thrones May Fantasy"

This is anything but Final Fantasy.
This is what Final Fantasy should have evolved into starting with FFXII - mature medieval fantasy, not teenage anime bullshit. Square Enix brass fired Matsuno and doubled down on schlock for almost two decades, but it looks like they're finally correcting their mistake.

Go_Ly_Dow

looking at the trailer and some gameplay bits, i wonder what the hell were ff15 devs doing, it seems so bad in comparison?

It is complex and there are many reasons for it.
  1. The game experienced real development hell on PS3, and was rebooted. The classic worldmap was scrapped and then they went with FF12 style fully 3d world. The PS3 was too weak for this new approach.
  2. The game then was planned cross-gen, PS3/PS4 and this was then scrapped as they didn't want it to look outdated.
  3. They then rebooted again as a PS4 only game which meant they had to develop a new engine and start again
  4. Tetsuya Nomura wanted the story and world to be presented over 2 games, Square head honchos wanted it to be 1 game only, he seemingly wouldn't comply so he and his team of FF/KH veterans were axed (moved to FF7 Remake) and replaced with Hajime Tabata (who had only directed PSP games) and fresh blood who had never touched FF (the Luminous studio now behind Forspoken)
  5. Tabata scrapped the FF12 style open zone style map for an open world
  6. Being 1 game meant they binned characters (Stella), cutscenes, a shit ton of CGI, locations and more to get it finished and they poorly reworked the story and narrative far into the project to accomodate the change
  7. The chucked the rest of the story into an anime, CGI movie and DLC
  8. They Luminous engine was developed alongside the games own development
  9. The FFXV we eventually got only had about 3 years of dev time or so I've read before, it was rushed to launch (the half complete 2nd open world comes to mind) as fans were fed up of waiting and Square was fed up of it being a money sink. They then tried to salvage it with patches, DLC etc...
It's kind of a miracle it sold 10mil copies and has a sizeable amount of fans who love it. I think it's easily one of the worst mainline FF games.

FF16 began pre-production around 2016 and production in 2018. They only began marketing the game once they had a lot of in-game footage to show in 2020.

Last edited:

Teslerum

FF16 began pre-production around 2016 and production in 2018. They only began marketing the game once they had a lot of in-game footage to show in 2020.

It's probably even a bit earlier than that. The main guys stepped away / went into less demanding roles on XIV pretty much exactly with the release of Heavensward / Patch 3.0.0.
They didn't do much/any patch content.

Last edited:
This is what Final Fantasy should have evolved into starting with FFXII - mature medieval fantasy, not teenage anime bullshit. Square Enix brass fired Matsuno and doubled down on schlock for almost two decades, but it looks like they're finally correcting their mistake.

Yeah imagine being such a doofy fan of this series to say it doesn't look like Final Fantasy. This is the most 'Final Fantasy' the single player franchise has looked in two decades.

Also a clear sign of who has played XIV and who hasn't.

The music in ALL of these trailers has been incredible too, really can't wait for the full OST.

blackjon24

Still looks good but im kinda getting tired of these samey trailers.

I want to see an extended version of those 3 seconds they showed of what the game is actually like outside of boss fights and cutscenes
I don't know why more people aren't saying this but I completely agree with you. I've known this game will have awesome action combat/boss set pieces for ages..doesn't get me more excited seeing more of that

Unironically those 3 seconds were the best part of the trailer and what I am most intrigued about is the rpg stuff we do outside of combat like exploring and interacting with npcs at this point.

Very excited still!

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yeah imagine being such a doofy fan of this series to say it doesn't look like Final Fantasy. This is the most 'Final Fantasy' the single player franchise has looked in two decades.

Also a clear sign of who has played XIV and who hasn't.

The music in ALL of these trailers has been incredible too, really can't wait for the full OST.
I’m old enough to remember when FF VII was announced and some of the FF fanbase were saying things like “I miss when it was Final FANTASY” and “I want to play a game not watch a movie”.

FF is a series that has always taken big risks and tried new things with every mainline entry. Personally I’m glad there’s at least one big-budget JRPG series that isn’t afraid to go balls out and try something crazy, and I think XVI looks fucking awesome. If you want safe, same-y retro nostalgia wank, go play Dragon Quest or it’s many imitators.

(Btw I’m assuming this is all in response to Mr. Goo saying something like “this isn’t Final Fantasy because you don’t enter commands through a menu” or something… I blocked that guy a while back after getting tired of his contrarian attention seeking in every thread)

jimmypython

So hyped for this...I hope the AI party members also get a character growth system, and a gambit system to set their in combat behaviours. Probably wouldn't get either haha

deeptech

hey also i heard the story is going to deal with mature human stuff, i wonder how that will be received by the (woke crowd) mentally ill twitter users and the like?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
hey also i heard the story is going to deal with mature human stuff, i wonder how that will be received by the (woke crowd) mentally ill twitter users and the like?
They’re already pissed off at the lack of diversity, and double pissed because Yoshida gave a reasonable explanation for it instead of flagellating himself and promising to “be better”.

I feel bad for Yoshida that he attempted to respond in good faith to these miserable, resentful losers. It’s embarrassing.

Last edited:

deeptech

They’re already pissed off at the lack of diversity, and double pissed because Yoshida gave a reasonable explanation for it instead of flagellating himself and promising to “be better”.

I feel bad for Yoshida that he attempted to respond in good faith to these miserable, resentful losers. It’s embarrassing.
expected, and i'm glad there are those who haven't bent the knee and who don't sacrifice their art and vision for anyone..

This was a good trailer, mostly because I liked the blue/crystal area and a glimpse of party members and exploration.

I’m a little concerned, though, in the sense that it feels like they’ve shown the same story footage over and over and over again lol

Obvious huge exaggeration, but I hope there’s a lot more to the story.

That being said I can see this being one of my favorite Final Fantasy games.

I still need a confirmation of CG cutscenes though.

The pre-rendered cutscenes (such as Shiva vs. Titan and Odin Vs. Bahamut) look good but they still don’t hold a candle to their internal CG department.

Last edited:
You are weird. There’s multiple FF teams. Business Division 1 which is the X/XIII/VIIR team is still very clearly continuing in that direction.

I miss when mainline FF games came out more frequently. They could experiment with style and theme more. These days if you don't like the current one then well too bad... see you in 10 years!
It is complex and there are many reasons for it.
  1. The game experienced real development hell on PS3, and was rebooted. The classic worldmap was scrapped and then they went with FF12 style fully 3d world. The PS3 was too weak for this new approach.
  2. The game then was planned cross-gen, PS3/PS4 and this was then scrapped as they didn't want it to look outdated.
  3. They then rebooted again as a PS4 only game which meant they had to develop a new engine and start again
  4. Tetsuya Nomura wanted the story and world to be presented over 2 games, Square head honchos wanted it to be 1 game only, he seemingly wouldn't comply so he and his team of FF/KH veterans were axed (moved to FF7 Remake) and replaced with Hajime Tabata (who had only directed PSP games) and fresh blood who had never touched FF (the Luminous studio now behind Forspoken)
  5. Tabata scrapped the FF12 style open zone style map for an open world
  6. Being 1 game meant they binned characters (Stella), cutscenes, a shit ton of CGI, locations and more to get it finished and they poorly reworked the story and narrative far into the project to accomodate the change
  7. The chucked the rest of the story into an anime, CGI movie and DLC
  8. They Luminous engine was developed alongside the games own development
  9. The FFXV we eventually got only had about 3 years of dev time or so I've read before, it was rushed to launch (the half complete 2nd open world comes to mind) as fans were fed up of waiting and Square was fed up of it being a money sink. They then tried to salvage it with patches, DLC etc...
It's kind of a miracle it sold 10mil copies and has a sizeable amount of fans who love it. I think it's easily one of the worst mainline FF games.

Don't forget Tabata wanted to meek the game more casual so he gave us the hold button to attack shit which ruined the whole game. If it were still Nomura, even if he fucked up the story still, we would at least have had a straight FFVIIR/KH style combat.

There's also two continents and multiple cities worth of scrapped/inaccessible maps anyone can easily glitch into which surely was suppose to be part of a much bigger game. Biggest travesty/tragedy in gaming history, next to Cyberpunk.

That'll depend on how well XVI performs. The anime bullshit team is clearly incompetent, every single one of their games gets stuck in development hell.
No it will not depend on how well XVI performs. XIV is the most profitable FF ever, is every FF going to be an MMO now?

XIII took 4 years.

VII Remake had some dev hell because they initially outsourced development but all in all it took 5 years. The sequel is coming out in less than 4 years. That’s not dev hell.

XVI has been worked on since, what, 2017?

It’s fine to hate the games that BD1 makes but don’t spout nonsense.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I miss when mainline FF games came out more frequently. They could experiment with style and theme more. These days if you don't like the current one then well too bad... see you in 10 years!

Don't forget Tabata wanted to meek the game more casual so he gave us the hold button to attack shit which ruined the whole game. If it were still Nomura, even if he fucked up the story still, we would at least have had a straight FFVIIR/KH style combat.

There's also two continents and multiple cities worth of scrapped/inaccessible maps anyone can easily glitch into which surely was suppose to be part of a much bigger game. Biggest travesty/tragedy in gaming history, next to Cyberpunk.
Yup and now he's out of the company thank god!

Teslerum

Yup and now he's out of the company thank god!
While true, not really hyped for the team that's still there (Luminous Productions) either. Personally thought the later DLC (Dawn of the Future) would have made the story, if anything, worse (Actually glad it got cancelled) and Forspoken's not looking too hot.

Last edited:
Still looks good but im kinda getting tired of these samey trailers.

I want to see an extended version of those 3 seconds they showed of what the game is actually like outside of boss fights and cutscenes
yeah, the whole 'audio/visual barrage!' thing has worn itself out with me, too. my response to this new installment: 'ooh! i just saw a chocobo there for a second!'...

more game world, please...

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
So will you play it?
To not sound unfair with those who like it, I might pirate it to criticize it better.

Still better than whatever shit they were doing since ff12.
FF12 was the last good shit they made. The only bad thing that prevented it from being great were the story and characters. Everything else was superb -- combat, music, exploration, worldbuilding, graphics, content.

How so? The core themes of this game run through practically every numbered FF game ever produced. You can also tell the world, characters and general narrative direction is made by Japanese devs.

Also, what's with the obsession of comparison this to Western medievil fantasy?

How about: FF1-5, FF9, FF12, FF14, Berserk, Vagrant Story etc...
Square-Enix is clearly pandering to western values in order to sell more. They're just following trends now, not setting them as they used to.
You can clearly tell the tone is off by miles with this one. Final Fantasy was never about edginess, sex, politics, swearing and all that western bullshit.
Because you know, SquareSOFT wanted to make the best games possible, Square-Enix just wants to make money.

1. This is not an evolution
2. Persona is teenage anime bullshit. Actually, also is this game. "AAAAAAAAAARGH, I. WILL. KILL. YOUUUUUUUUUU."
3. Final Fantasy has always had mature themes. Also, anyone that stays away from something because it's not socially perceived as "mature" has clear maturity issues to begin with.
4. Play Lost Odyssey, the last great "Final Fantasy".

Square-Enix is clearly pandering to western values in order to sell more. They're just following trends now, not setting them as they used to.
You can clearly tell the tone is off by miles with this one. Final Fantasy was never about edginess, sex, politics, swearing and all that western bullshit.
Because you know, SquareSOFT wanted to make the best games possible, Square-Enix just wants to make money...
& done... unless you really see 'boy band rpgs' as a trend...

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
& done... unless you really see 'boy band rpgs' as a trend...
That's on Nomura though. Also, that was a recycled Versus XIII, they didn't wanted to throw it all away.

It has become pretty obvious they're pushing it towards real time action combat. Also open world with realistic scale, fetch quests here and there, and so on.
Because hey, turn-based is boring and action sells more in the west right? Here, look at those The Witcher 3 sales numbers... etc.

That's how their rationale works.

2. Persona is teenage anime bullshit. Actually, also is this game. "AAAAAAAAAARGH, I. WILL. KILL. YOUUUUUUUUUU."
3. Final Fantasy has always had mature themes. Also, anyone that stays away from something because it's not socially perceived as "mature" has clear maturity issues to begin with.
It is absolutely an evolution compared to the past two decades of Final Fantasy. If you're in here defending the direction the series has gone in with XIII, XV, and VIIR you're hopeless.

That's on Nomura though. Also, that was a recycled Versus XIII, they didn't wanted to throw it all away.

It has become pretty obvious they're pushing it towards real time action combat. Also open world with realistic scale, fetch quests here and there, and so on.
Because hey, turn-based is boring and action sells more in the west right? Here, look at those The Witcher 3 sales numbers... etc.

That's how their rationale works.
Final Fantasy should have had those Witcher sales numbers. They would have, if Square Enix brass hadn't destroyed the franchise by sabotaging Matsuno's vision for XII and then releasing the execrable XIII and XV. The market for mature, violent, political medieval fantasy is much larger than the market for anime shlock these days. Nobody cares about turn-based versus real-time combat.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It looks fucking Incredible.

IMO, FFXV is already the best in the series, so this has big shoes to fill, but at the moment it looks like it might even top the GOAT that is FFXV.

Day one purchase.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
It is absolutely an evolution compared to the past two decades of Final Fantasy. If you're in here defending the direction the series has gone in with XIII, XV, and VIIR you're hopeless.
Exactly the opposite -- I'm condemning all those games. Square-Enix is completely lost. They stopped caring.

Final Fantasy should have had those Witcher sales numbers. They would have, if Square Enix brass hadn't destroyed the franchise by sabotaging Matsuno's vision for XII and then releasing the execrable XIII and XV. The market for mature, violent, political medieval fantasy is much larger than the market for anime shlock these days. Nobody cares about turn-based versus real-time combat.
I agree with 12. As it is, it's a fun game, but it could have been much better.

But I heavily disagree that a "mature, violent, political medieval fantasy" direction would be the way to go.
Final Fantasy never needed that, It was always easy to digest. The worst ones are the entries that try to complicate things too much.
Dragon Quest also doesn't need that, but they said they're going to make the next entry more "dark" and "mature".

You know why? Because they don't care anymore.
If they had to turn Final Fantasy into an FPS in order to sell 40 million copies, they would do it. They have no integrity.

Synless

looking at the trailer and some gameplay bits, i wonder what the hell were ff15 devs doing, it seems so bad in comparison?
It’s an evolution of that combat years later. That’s like saying what the fuck were the devs of call of duty 2 or 3 doing when call of duty 4 came out.

The shit FF15 gets is fucking unwarranted.

Doom85

The market for mature, violent, political medieval fantasy is much larger than the market for anime shlock these days.

Okay, arguably larger, but MUCH larger?

Bruh, some of the big anime OPs get like 50 million views on YouTube. The Demon Slayer film made 450 million at the box office. Anime is far, FAR bigger than it was in the past. I know some of you generalizing anime haters want to pretend anime is as niche as it was decades ago, but Chris Redfield just punched away that rock you were living under, and it’s time to face reality.

malcom tucker GIF

Also, no one cares about turn based? Hmm, funny how Dungeons and Dragons, you know the turn based game, is estimated to nowadays be bringing in 100-150 million dollars per year, enough for Hollywood to notice and do a new blockbuster film despite the first attempt decades ago being so disastrous. Oh, and Persona 5, also turn based, sold over 6 million copies.

And come on, FF VII Remake was the highest selling title in the series so far.

I’m excited for XVI, but not every future FF title has to be just like it, hell that would be limiting the series‘ potential purely to satisfy a select group who are close minded towards certain genres and tones. And “angry dude wants revenge” is a pretty common anime trope in of itself, so you‘re really just off the mark completely.

Exactly the opposite -- I'm condemning all those games. Square-Enix is completely lost. They stopped caring.

I agree with 12. As it is, it's a fun game, but it could have been much better.

But I heavily disagree that a "mature, violent, political medieval fantasy" direction would be the way to go.
Final Fantasy never needed that, It was always easy to digest. The worst ones are the entries that try to complicate things too much.
Dragon Quest also doesn't need that, but they said they're going to make the next entry more "dark" and "mature".

You know why? Because they don't care anymore.
If they had to turn Final Fantasy into an FPS in order to sell 40 million copies, they would do it. They have no integrity.
You don't need two flagship retro JRPG series on the market. Let DQ keep the conversative gameplay and the storybook feel. Let FF take risks, be innovative, and appeal to a different audience. That's always been the distinction between the two series. The issue with FF is that it stopped innovating - it settled on an increasingly adolescent teenage anime aesthetic and did nothing else. Back during the golden age of FF you had games with sophisticated narratives (VI, VII, XII, Tactics), teenage drama (VIII, X), and games with an almost DQ-style vibe (IV, V, IX). That's what people liked about the series.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
This was a good trailer, mostly because I liked the blue/crystal area and a glimpse of party members and exploration.

I’m a little concerned, though, in the sense that it feels like they’ve shown the same story footage over and over and over again lol

Obvious huge exaggeration, but I hope there’s a lot more to the story.

That being said I can see this being one of my favorite Final Fantasy games.

I still need a confirmation of CG cutscenes though.

The pre-rendered cutscenes (such as Shiva vs. Titan and Odin Vs. Bahamut) look good but they still don’t hold a candle to their internal CG department.
M3J5ZV2.jpg

Go_Ly_Dow

To not sound unfair with those who like it, I might pirate it to criticize it better.

FF12 was the last good shit they made. The only bad thing that prevented it from being great were the story and characters. Everything else was superb -- combat, music, exploration, worldbuilding, graphics, content.

Because you know, SquareSOFT wanted to make the best games possible, Square-Enix just wants to make money.

So FF4-10 had no edginess, sexual themes, political themes and swearing? (don't think I've seen much swearing in any of the FF16 trailers...) Personally, I think you need to replay these games.

If Square cared purely about the money than the art with FF16, why didn't they release it as a cross-gen game, rather than ignore PS4's 120mil install base? Why didn't they rush it to launch last year or this year, as all the dev comments suggest the game is pretty much complete? Why focus so much on release a large scale game and not release something of smaller scale? Why develop expensive gameplay systems over simplistic rock, paper scissors combat?

My answer to these questions is that a lot of Square's AAA output (not all but a lot) is in the hands of artists and veterans in the company and the likes of Yoshida, Nomura, Kitase and others are afforded a level of confidence many big publishers like EA don't give their studios. Square on the Japanese side is still an artist driven company, hence why Nomura gets away with such ridiculous ideas sometimes, for better or worse.

As for what FF is about, to me it's generally been about the tale of the hero, good vs evil, human struggle, the spiritual realm, mystery, basically classical themes and stories from real world history around human nature that are still powerful and relavent in the modern world. Maybe you'll disagree, but you'll find these themes in practically every single mainline Final Fantasy game since FF1 and FF16 is no exception. They know their fans appreciate an interesting narrative with memorable characters and that's what the series is and why it's popular.

Something has triggered you, but I can't figure out what it is as you keep jumping around with your grievances. If it was to guess, it's basically that you really hate they've adopted action combat.

Last edited:

EDMIX

No. He's producer. The ditector is the guy who directed The Last Remnant.

So it should be fantastic.

My own gripe is I'm kinda tired of these gritty and dark and always serious Final Fantasy games. I miss the color, the charm, the whimsy. Silly moogles.

Oh well.

Sir but, who is to say the game won't have any of those elements? We are just seeing a few minutes of what could be a 100 hour game though.

WoJ

I haven't played a Final Fantasy since XIII, and only played part 1. I liked if, didn't love it. I grew up with the series and considered if my favorite game series until I got into Western RPGs and Mass Effect blew my mind.

What is the likelihood this game is a fairly complete product at launch compared to FF15? Part of the reason I haven't played it is because so much of FF15 was tied to DLC I'm not sure I want to pick up 16 near launch if good chunks of the story will be tied to DLC. If that's the case I'll just wait.

OsirisBlack

Banned
What is your point
LOL I'm sorry, thought I posted words in there as well but just posted the picture. Was going to ask if that bit was a cutscene the Ifrit vs titan bit. I'm actually not sure because I think they mixed it in with actual gameplay of a different fight right there. But the part where Ifrit and titan looks a bit CG cutscene to me.

Top Bottom