• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Previews are Dropping

Surprised no one is talking about this:

However, action gamers – do not fret. The skill ceiling is even higher in the third setting you’ll get to pick once you finish the game. Aptly named ‘Final Fantasy’, the New Game+ mode will provide players with an extra challenge should they be up for it, not only increasing the strength of enemies but also their placement throughout the game as well as providing players with full-on different battles.

Nautilus

Banned
Your preference has been noted. However, you can't actually believe a turn based game would sell more today?
It could, why not? Turn based games have been on a reinascence, commercially speaking, these last few years. Titles that didn't use to sell well are doing much better nowadays, and some are doing bonkers, like Persona.

So why not FF? The older FFs still has a large fanbase, turn based is more popular than ever, and FF as a brand has a strong reach. All FF needs to do is make a great game utilizing it and you could have a system seller in your hands.

These are the worst posts in the whole discussion so far.

Good riddance to you. This reads like console fanboy bullshit.

BTW: What are you people even arguing about? Because at no point does Yoshi-P pass judgement on turn-based as a concept. He strictly says they decided on pure action as a different direction.

What does any of those statements read as console fanboy bullshit? Because we’re ok with FF going Action and acknowledge action games are more popular these days than turn based? God of War just sold 11 million copies, Elden Ring 20 million…
I like the skin texture on the beast.

Funny because that early ps5 showcase trailer was so incredibly ugly, and now its looking like a showpiece for ps5

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Lol man the absolute worst part of FF1-10 is the battle system. This is coming from someone who’s been a fan from the beginning. I think I still have my Cloud Strife shirt from preordering FF7 back in the day.

I used to love that shit but it absolutely bores me to tears nowadays, good riddance.

And to people pointing to Persona or whatever as an example of what a turn-based battle system can be: that’s about as far from traditional FF as DMC style combat is. Plus it’s boring.

It’s been over 20 years since FFX. You people should begin the healing process and go play one of the zillion other boring turn based JRPGs, instead of whining that the one mainline FF game we get every 6 years isn’t some nostalgia wank fest
theres a reason people wanted a final fantasy 7 remake so badly, many action RPGs from the same time had far better gameplay than Final Fantasy 7. I'd wager FF7 would be more appreciated if it were action combat oriented like Kingdom Hearts or this new FF game

There are very rare instances where pure turn based JRPG gameplay is done right. The vast majority of JRPGs FF included simply cannot find a way to make it NOT boring and time wasting. I'm so fucking glad you made this post (and glad Yoshi-P is falling back on a combat system that's easier to make feel fun and interesting)

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
blown-away.gif
nichijou supremacy

Go_Ly_Dow

Funny because that early ps5 showcase trailer was so incredibly ugly, and now its looking like a showpiece for ps5
The showcase trailer will be almost 3 years old by the time the final game launches, so a very early build of the game. The game at reveal was also still being developed with PS4 in mind, but seems like they scrapped that shortly after to deliver something that really stands out.

What we are getting is visually stunning.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
Will they ever show anything other than combat? When are we gonna get a proper look at a town or city? Or some exploration in a cave or dungeon, or a forest, or some other cool looking location? How about a scene of dialogue between characters? Anything? I‘m getting pretty bored with this constant focus on combat; it‘s been that way since the very first trailer. Do they think people are so dazzled by their overly hectic looking combat system that no one wants to see anything else? Seriously, have we seen any kind of gameplay so far that doesn’t involve combat?

Go_Ly_Dow

Will they ever show anything other than combat? When are we gonna get a proper look at a town or city? Or some exploration in a cave or dungeon, or a forest, or some other cool looking location? How about a scene of dialogue between characters? Anything? I‘m getting pretty bored with this constant focus on combat; it‘s been that way since the very first trailer. Do they think people are so dazzled by their overly hectic looking combat system that no one wants to see anything else? Seriously, have we seen any kind of gameplay so far that doesn’t involve combat?
They said April for environment stuff and other mechanics, I'd guess in a dedicated State of Play.

Fbh

I like how seemingly everyone has forgotten about FFXV.
"OMG a FF without turn based combat with a single playable character, such an unprecedented move for the franchise!!!"

It could, why not? Turn based games have been on a reinascence, commercially speaking, these last few years. Titles that didn't use to sell well are doing much better nowadays, and some are doing bonkers, like Persona.

So why not FF? The older FFs still has a large fanbase, turn based is more popular than ever, and FF as a brand has a strong reach. All FF needs to do is make a great game utilizing it and you could have a system seller in your hands.

Persona 5 is probably the most successful and best selling modern turned based JRPG, and most of the appeal of that game isn't the combat but the fact it's a stylish anime higschool simulator.
Strip away the social aspect and focus on the combat and you've got SMTV, a game that last we heard only sold above 1 million units

Surprised no one is talking about this:

So they'll lock hard mode behind a new game +, just like 7Remake. That kinda sucks.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What’s funny to me is how they’re making this game thinking they’re appeasing new fans. I started loving this franchise back when it was turn based, but as I’m getting older I’d much rather have this type of combat style.

saintjules

That Eikon battle with Garuda was quite impressive graphically. I'm curious to see if FFVII Rebirth will look as impressive.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
theres a reason people wanted a final fantasy 7 remake so badly, many action RPGs from the same time had far better gameplay than Final Fantasy 7. I'd wager FF7 would be more appreciated if it were action combat oriented like Kingdom Hearts or this new FF game

There are very rare instances where pure turn based JRPG gameplay is done right. The vast majority of JRPGs FF included simply cannot find a way to make it NOT boring and time wasting. I'm so fucking glad you made this post (and glad Yoshi-P is falling back on a combat system that's easier to make feel fun and interesting)
I mean, I think there was some novelty back in the day. Controlling a whole party of characters with stat-based combat, with characters who permanently grow in power and acquire new abilities as you use them. It seemed all smart and sophisticated because almost everything else out there at the time was some hard-as-balls arcade-style action/fighting/racing game.

100% agree with your second paragraph though. You can add all sorts of mechanics and crank up the difficulty to try to make turn-based JRPG combat interesting again. And it’ll work… for a few battles. Then it quickly turns into a tedious chore as you set about solving the same puzzle over and over. It doesn’t work for a genre where the whole thing is based around fighting the same freaking enemies over and over dozens of times.

(I’ll note that I put SRPGs in a totally different category. Those are based around a small number of much more involved, unique battles, where character positioning is as important as your actions, and there are tons of different strategies and risk/reward considerations.)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
100% agree with your second paragraph though. You can add all sorts of mechanics and crank up the difficulty to try to make turn-based JRPG combat interesting again. And it’ll work… for a few battles.
better than what Pokemon did where it's essentially been recycling the exact same battle system for 20 years. no additional complexity or interesting mechanics just.... boredom.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Yeah this is not Final Fantasy.

This is a boring action game with cinematic walking segments in-between.

Back when Squeenix still cared about their own reputation this would be a low budget spin-off.

Now they're too desperate for gaijin money to actually care about what they're doing.

Mr.Phoenix

All of those games had EXCELLENT storytelling and direction and so sitting through the cutscenes in those games wasn't a chore. If this one has excellent storytelling and direction (again, not seeing it from the quality of writing of the trailers so far) then great, even better if it is spread out not just to the main story. If its more of the quality in FFXIV, which had a decent story and some wildly uneven writing and direction/voicework, then. . .well this year is already stacked anyway so no need to get everything at launch.
Dude just stop. Now you are being ridiculous.

This was a gameplay trailer, they have said nothing at all about the story for you to be saying anything of that sort. like just drop it.... fact of the matter is that most RPGs have a shit ton of cutscenes.... the only mistake here is that SEactuakky announced how many hours of it there are in the game.

What they have shown is combat, and it kooks good and appears to have depth. Judge it for what it is or you have seen not what you think it may be or not be.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm curious why they decided to go in this direction with FF. Do they truly think this will appeal more to the masses? I don't see it. I think they overrate the appeal of action combat to the masses. I think going back to their roots with a more colorful, whimsical, turn based RPG would have fans incredibly excited. Just imagine the reception to a trailer that looked like, say, FF9, except with modern graphics. Fans would absolutely freak out.

This seems to be the direction they're dead set on heading in, though. Action, darker, gritty characters. Maybe at the very least instead of crafting a game like FF9 they'll actually remake the thing given the reception FF7 Remake is having.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
I like how seemingly everyone has forgotten about FFXV.
"OMG a FF without turn based combat with a single playable character, such an unprecedented move for the franchise!!!"

Persona 5 is probably the most successful and best selling modern turned based JRPG, and most of the appeal of that game isn't the combat but the fact it's a stylish anime higschool simlator.
Strip away the social aspect and focus on the combat and you've got SMTV, a game that last we heard only sold above 1 million units

So they'll lock hard mode behind a new game +, just like 7Remake. That kinda sucks.
P3 and P4 offers exactly what P5 offers.The difference is that P5 is a more refined experience. So what changed?

First, P5 really makes the combat more enjoyable, and has many QOL updates compared to the other games, making it a better experience(Even if it is still essencially the same).

But Secondly, the genre simply became more popular.Gaming became more mainstream. And there are more people trying things out. Social stuff, specially ones buried under dozens of hours beneath *boring* turn based combat, won't carry the game alone.

Look next-gen, art style is phenomenal and the characters look like they have some testosterone this time and not Japanese teenagers anymore. I'm not sure if I like this combat though (looks like a button masher and too flashy), but otherwise, seems like they're finally putting FF back on track.

Mr.Phoenix

I'm curious why they decided to go in this direction with FF. Do they truly think this will appeal more to the masses? I don't see it. I think they overrate the appeal of action combat to the masses. I think going back to their roots with a more colorful, whimsical, turn based RPG would have fans incredibly excited. Just imagine the reception to a trailer that looked like, say, FF9, except with modern graphics. Fans would absolutely freak out.

This seems to be the direction they're dead set on heading in, though. Action, darker, gritty characters. Maybe at the very least instead of crafting a game like FF9 they'll actually remake the thing given the reception FF7 Remake is having.
I can't wait to see what a to of you would say when this turns out to be the best-seeking FF game made.

I guess the reason every FF game seems to split opinions is because of all the changes they make. I for one am all for it. I embrace every FF game for what it is. People like you seem to think FF basically means a turn-based JRPG. I think FF is just a JRPG period. If they want to take a Witcher or GOW approach, that's fine by me. Hopefully, the next one word be taking a Mas Effect SC-FI approach.

I didn't say anything about not wanting to read text. SE has not made a single FF game in the last ten years at least that has a decent script behind it that would make me excited to know that the next game is going to have 11 hours of it dedicated solely to them trying to tell a cinematic story. The story trailers that we've seen so far also do not inspire confidence and neither do gifs of "Whizbang vidya game action. . ." (as if I also want to sit and watch 11 hours of Marvel Universe style action dressed up as "storytelling").
Cinematics replace the old text heavy sprites cutscenes from back in the days.

If you werent excited for FFXIV's expansions scripts then no other game will. And surprise, Yoshi P.. how weird isn't it

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

This thread seems to indicate so.

Cinematics replace the old text heavy sprites cutscenes from back in the days.

If you werent excited for FFXIV's expansions scripts then no other game will. And surprise, Yoshi P.. how weird isn't it

I played base FFXIV. Which is why I'm not pleased with them focusing on something I don't consider a strength of theirs. Not really weird so much as. . .obvious.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

These are the kinds of stories/themes/characters/worlds this particular team likes to create and present.

See FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, FFXII, FFXIV etc...

Last edited:

Thabass

This thread seems to indicate so.

I played base FFXIV. Which is why I'm not pleased with them focusing on something I don't consider a strength of theirs. Not really weird so much as. . .obvious.
I don't know, in some parts of the trailers I've seen, this game looks like a much better Devil May Cry 5.

And that's saying something since they literally got the guy from DMC5 to be the battle director for this game. I'm honestly expecting this game to surprise a lot of people. But, for those that know the team well, it won't surprise them at all.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I don't know, in some parts of the trailers I've seen, this game looks like a much better Devil May Cry 5.

And that's saying something since they literally got the guy from DMC5 to be the battle director for this game. I'm honestly expecting this game to surprise a lot of people. But, for those that know the team well, it won't surprise them at all.

For sure. I have nothing against the combat at all and I'm certain I will enjoy that side of things. I'm talking about the quiet (or not so quiet) moments where they are trying to tell a story.

. . .unless you are talking about the story and comparing it to DMC (which is a game series I haven't played. . .at all actually). Right now, I'm only in for the action and not for whatever "mature story" they think they are going to be able to tell well (if they do I'll be pleasantly surprised and happy to be wrong).

For pointing out that other games that do this do it better? Heavens. Well there is always the ignore button. . .

This was a gameplay trailer, they have said nothing at all about the story for you to be saying anything of that sort. like just drop it.... fact of the matter is that most RPGs have a shit ton of cutscenes.... the only mistake here is that SEactuakky announced how many hours of it there are in the game.

What they have shown is combat, and it kooks good and appears to have depth. Judge it for what it is or you have seen not what you think it may be or not be.

Hence the reference to TRAILERS. If you're going to be annoyed at someone's opinion at least know what the opinion is. I've seen enough of the "writing" in this game to wince and realize it's going to be more of the same from this group that I don't want. You do and thus disagree. The power of the internet.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This precisely. I'll pass. Way too westernized for me. If it wasn't advertised as FF, nobody would have guessed it is from the series.

If people are happy with this, then great ? Still I can't help but feel that we exchanged something unique for more of the same westernized games.
I'm more sensitive to that than most people but to me there is nothing about this looks "westernize". To me art direction is much more closer to classic FF compare to FFXIII and FFXV.

My guess is people got too used to Nomura's design in FF.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I can't wait to see what a to of you would say when this turns out to be the best-seeking FF game made.

I guess the reason every FF game seems to split opinions is because of all the changes they make. I for one am all for it. I embrace every FF game for what it is. People like you seem to think FF basically means a turn-based JRPG. I think FF is just a JRPG period. If they want to take a Witcher or GOW approach, that's fine by me. Hopefully, the next one word be taking a Mas Effect SC-FI approach.
I would be for it if I thought the games were actually good. I thought FF15 was objectively average. Just a hollow empty experience. It doesn't feel like the creators of FF have any vision for what they want the franchise to be. It's just "Appeal to more gamers so we need to modernize!"

I don't think it's a coincidence FF7 Remake is the best FF they've had in over a decade and it's the first one that was modeled after a classic.

What they don't seem to realize is changes are a constant. People get tired of the old, embrace the new, then get tired of the new and embrace the old. It's why we saw the reception of Dead Space Remake. And why Capcom realized they needed to bring RE back to its roots after treading off course into more action for years.

Recent FF games storytelling have been multiple levels worse than the old school ones. It's not a stretch to think this will not be great. All the dialogue in recent games has an awkward, stilted quality to it.

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm more sensitive to that than most people but to me there is nothing about this looks "westernize". To me art direction is much more closer to classic FF compare to FFXIII and FFXV.

This.

Classic FF, Berserk, Attack on Titan, Vagrant Story, FF Tactics, I get those vibes far more than The Witcher. Compare this to the Witcher and it's completely different flavour, whilst comparable to the themes from those IPs. Too many only want modern anime aesthetics.

Last edited:

cireza

I totally disagree, but let's not have this discussion again and leave this place for people to enjoy the game.

Danjin44

This.

Classic FF, Berserk, Attack on Titan, Vagrant Story, FF Tactics, I get those vibes far more than The Witcher.Compare this to the Witcher. It's completely different flavour and more in line with those IPs.
I dont know how people can look at the character designs and combat and say this "westernize" is beyond me.

I guess with that logic Drakengard is "western" game.

Last edited:

Fbh

This precisely. I'll pass. Way too westernized for me. If it wasn't advertised as FF, nobody would have guessed it is from the series.

If people are happy with this, then great ? Still I can't help but feel that we exchanged something unique for more of the same westernized games.

I don't necessarily think it's westernized.
The combat is clearly inspired by games like DMC which are distinctively Japanese, and JRPG's have a long history of taking inspiration from medieval Europe (more so than ancient Japan).

For example Tactics Ogre characters would fit in perfectly in this world (with slightly less baggy pants):
wIlzH3C.png

Last edited:

Markio128

I absolutely love the look of this. I can’t think of anything negative to say tbh; awesome visuals, cool looking characters, excellent combat and epic music.

Yes please.

Go_Ly_Dow

Im Not No Way GIF

I thought the cutscenes in FF7R were excruciating, I'm out.
Hogwarts Legacy has 8.5 hours of cinematics, God of War Ragnarock 7.5 hours etc...

Devs said 35 hours if you only do the story, 70 hours with wider content. 11 hours doesn't scream out as being excessive when looker at other modern games with less content which also come close to 10 hours.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Recent FF games storytelling have been multiple levels worse than the old school ones. It's not a stretch to think this will not be great. All the dialogue in recent games has an awkward, stilted quality to it.
This is the team behind FF14 & 12, FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre… you know, the ones who actually know how to tell a story without a bunch of cringe anime melodrama.

This is going to (hopefully) have zero resemblance to the storytelling in Kingdom Hearts, FF XV, 7 Remake, etc.

Oops didn’t know this thread was more active. I only fully watched one battle and skimmed the rest, but it looks fun.

1. I think I saw someone somewhere compare the combat to Lightning Returns, and I see the resemblance. LR has incredible combat, so.

2. I’m not picky when it comes to party members (I’m fine with them being AI controlled as long as I have some control over them and their equipment and etc.) so, not gonna lie, hearing that they can’t die is disappointing.

3. Clive’s movement seems a little sluggish IMO

4. I have no doubt that the game will have very good pacing and I 100% believe the “rollercoaster” thing Yoshida said he was going for. I felt like VII-X and to a lesser extent XIII all were “rollercoaster rides.”

5. I’m not sure why Yoshi-P thinks touting “seamless transition from cutscene to gameplay” and vice versa is impressive… FFVII did it in 1997 lol and plenty of games have done it since. He is also very coy with his wording regarding real-time cutscenes. He’s said things like the Dominance trailer being “99% real-time,” with a couple of scenes having “background pre-rendered elements” (referring to the Titan vs Shiva and Odin Vs Bahamut scenes, which are absolutely way more than 1% of the trailer). He’s said that he hired the Kingsglaive CG team for said pre-rendered elements and for directing certain scenes, and back in June he said they’re still working on CG character models. But also, half the time, Yoshida words it like XVI is entirely in-engine. When he’s already stated that there’s pre-rendered scenes lol. It’s possible that he was technically not lying in that 11 hours of cutscenes are in real-time… but there’s some additional minutes of pre-rendered scenes.

I’m dead ass serious I need confirmation of full-blown CGI cinematics. The game isn’t pretty enough to omit them. I don’t care.

Danjin44

I don't necessarily think it's westernized.
The combat is clearly inspired by games like DMC which are distinctively Japanese, and JRPG's have a long history of taking inspiration from medieval Europe (more so than ancient Japan).

For example Tactics Ogre characters would fit in perfectly in this world (with slightly less baggy pants):
wIlzH3C.png
Exactly! nothing about the character design looks anything like WRPG.
final-fantasy-16.jpg

Tactic Ogre had similar designs as well.
a027f7dea377ddb07bcbc3678661077c.jpg

People have very shallow view what JRPGs are.

The thing is I can enjoy both, like Atelier Ryza with very anime aesthetic and also enjoy JRPG like Drakengard with more medieval Europe visuals.

Last edited:

Lethal01

This honestly looks like a massive step back from the battle system of FF7 Remake that actually felt like a game that used RPG concepts to enhance an action game.

This just looks like a DMC clone, I'm sure it will be a good game but, could be so much better.

Last edited:

Yoboman

FF has always been the series of experimentation and essentially building something new every sequel in the gameplay, story, characters, world.

Glad the internet wasn't around in the PS1 era. I imagine traditionalists would have been blowing up about FFVIIs cyberpunk setting not being a real Final Fantasy, FFIXs character designs not being a real Final Fantasy. Heck there would be a few saying it shouldn't go 3D as well

Seconded. I play FF for the cool world, crazy story and waifus.

If I wanted combat I'd play Elden Ring.

Hogwarts Legacy has 8.5 hours of cinematics, God of War Ragnarock 7.5 hours etc...

Devs said 35 hours if you only do the story, 70 hours with wider content. 11 hours doesn't scream out as being excessive when looker at other modern games with less content which also come close to 10 hours.
Red Dead 2 almost has 20 hours of cutscenes, I think people talking about the length of cutscenes doesn't really make sense. 11 hours total cutscene for a game that you will probably spend over 50+ hours on is fine imo.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This looks so much better than what I expected.
Gritty ,actiony, fantastic looking UI that is finally not boring netlflix squares!!!
Is there HDR video too ?
I am not a traditional FF fan. I never liked the turn based stuff too much. But I absolutely love 7 remake and XV. Hope it's more like those and less like classic classic jrpg

Last edited:

Fbh

Red Dead 2 almost has 20 hours of cutscenes, I think people talking about the length of cutscenes doesn't really make sense. 11 hours total cutscene for a game that you will probably spend over 50+ hours on is fine imo.

FFX has like 10 hours of cutscenes/dialog and it's a fan favorite

(the video is 11 hours long but it has some gameplay sections for bosses)

And that's 10 hours of fucking Tidus
ezgif-2168112475.gif

Mr.Phoenix

This is the team behind FF14 & 12, FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre… you know, the ones who actually know how to tell a story without a bunch of cringe anime melodrama.

This is going to (hopefully) have zero resemblance to the storytelling in Kingdom Hearts, FF XV, 7 Remake, etc.
Thank you.. I couldn't even bother anymore pointing this out to them...

If anyone knows SE, and knows this team, then they know which games they have made. This team is behind the games from SE that has the absolute best stories. This game feels like they answered my Vagrant Story dreams.

Top Bottom