• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake | PS5 VS PS4 | Trailer Comparison

sublimit

Banned
I'm usually not one to complain about graphics but some of the textures in the PS4 version were really atrocious.Glad they will be fixing those.

What i'm sure they will not fix however is the God-awful lipsyncing during those shitty filler sidequests. Those were obviously added in the last minute to make the game seem bigger (to justify the multiple Parts bussiness model) they probably didn't had the time to make the lipsyncing as good as it was in the rest of the game.That was one of the biggest immersion breakings in the game for me.

Also most NPCs also looked like PS3 characters so i wish they could upgrade their models.

Arkam

Not gonna lie. This may have been the most underwhelming "last gen vs New Gen" visual comparison I have ever seen. First, I think FF7R was beautiful on the PS4. But holy hell did it look exactly damn near the same on PS5. They kept doing those wipes and I was trying my hardest to see improvements and found few. I am sure they are there, but they were far from obvious beyond some lighting tweaks (which did look nice).

muteZX

Banned
And honestly, this doesn't look better. At all.

bN7OtBy.jpg

PS3 enviroment with nasty 2D backdrops and problematic streaming of data. Thew original FF7 had "state of the art" technology, today's FF7 Remake is a so-so job.

hellstime

Neo Member
PS3 enviroment with nasty 2D backdrops and problematic streaming of data. Thew original FF7 had "state of the art" technology, today's FF7 Remake is a so-so job.
using unreal engine and being a but lazy is what caused this dip in quality unfortunately from a studio known for their amazing work, the multiplayer era and less focus on story has caught even the best in the business

Hulk_Smash

Banned
The improvements are obvious, but it's mostly lighting, which is much more accurate and beliavable now.
Also the load times, and it's 60 fps, so... stop talking nonsense please.
The load time would be worth it by itself.

Yeah, anyone not seeing improvements must be blind (and I actually usually agree with them with these kinds of videos).

Lethal01

They have explained why the dlc is a ps5 exclusive?

Levels designed around a high quality ssd vs a 20 times slow 10 year old hard drive.
All it takes is replacing a single shimmying section with an open area for the ps4 to fall apart and not be able to hand the game. The line between what can and can't run on ps4 is actually extremely thin when it's not just about the gpu doing higer res.

Lethal01

I'm usually not one to complain about graphics but some of the textures in the PS4 version were really atrocious.Glad they will be fixing those.

What i'm sure they will not fix however is the God-awful lipsyncing during those shitty filler sidequests. Those were obviously added in the last minute to make the game seem bigger (to justify the multiple Parts bussiness model) they probably didn't had the time to make the lipsyncing as good as it was in the rest of the game.That was one of the biggest immersion breakings in the game for me.

Also most NPCs also looked like PS3 characters so i wish they could upgrade their models.

A lot of the lip sync is actually fine when you play with the japanese dub. I'm guessing it was a localization issue. the english version seems literally broken at point.

Trogdor1123

I'm actually finally going to play this next month. I enjoyed the original ff7 so hopefully I like this one too. Shame the PS4 version doesn't get the ps5 treatment.

sublimit

Banned
A lot of the lip sync is actually fine when you play with the japanese dub. I'm guessing it was a localization issue. the english version seems literally broken at point.
The English lip syncing was fine in all the main sequences. It was the sidequest stuff that were completely off.

At first i started with English (because i thought it would be crucial to understand what my teamates would say during battles) but after a point i just couldn't stand them so iswitched to Japanese. And i think the Japanese lip syncing also felt off during the sidequest dialogues. I could be wrong though because i haven't played it again after i beat it when it came out.

Areiz

Banned
Levels designed around a high quality ssd vs a 20 times slow 10 year old hard drive.
All it takes is replacing a single shimmying section with an open area for the ps4 to fall apart and not be able to hand the game. The line between what can and can't run on ps4 is actually extremely thin when it's not just about the gpu doing higer res.
But they use mostly of the main game areas from what can we see from the trailer. And for the tech side of the dlc doesn't actually mean anything at all. Spiderman Miles Morales is a stand-alone expansion released for both PS4 and PS5. And we actually should believe that the impossible quality jump from the base game to the Yuffie dlc is just too high for make it released on the old platform too??? I'm sorry, but this is just a marketing excuses on my eyes.

Lethal01

But they use mostly of the main game areas from what can we see from the trailer. And for the tech side of the dlc doesn't actually mean anything at all. Spiderman Miles Morales is a stand-alone expansion released for both PS4 and PS5. And we actually should believe that the impossible quality jump from the base game to the Yuffie dlc is just too high for make it released on the old platform too??? I'm sorry, but this is just a marketing excuses on my eyes.

I won't say there isn't a chance it's pure marketing but since the game is indeed exclusive it's more believable that they designed around iI

It's extremely easy to make a scenario that works on PS5 but not PS4. Miles Morales is EXTREMELY limited in how much it can take advantage of the hardware by being cross gen. Graphical setting are easy to scale, level design is not.

Imagine there is a boss fight in town with a fast boss, and yuffie can grab onto it. Just doing that on ps4 could lead to the game freezing for 20 seconds simply because of that area being packed with just enough detail the ps4 can handle your running speed. Want an enemy that crashes into a building? can't do it, would take too long to load.

I'm not saying that they are going to be doing some mind bendingly revolutionary stuff that looks insanely graphically impressive.
but there are actually a ridiculous amount of simple ideas end up being infeasible when you try to implement them. even if they literally only used areas from part one.

Last edited:

Areiz

Banned
I won't say there isn't a chance it's pure marketing but since the game is indeed exclusive it's more believable that they designed around iI

It's extremely easy to make a scenario that works on PS5 but not PS4. Miles Morales is EXTREMELY limited in how much it can take advantage of the hardware by being cross gen. Graphical setting are easy to scale, level design is not.

Imagine there is a boss fight in town with a fast boss, and yuffie can grab onto it. Just doing that on ps4 could lead to the game freezing for 20 seconds simply because of that area being packed with just enough detail the ps4 can handle your running speed. Want an enemy that crashes into a building? can't do it, would take too long to load.

I'm not saying that they are going to be doing some mind bendingly revolutionary stuff that looks insanely graphically impressive.
but there are actually a ridiculous amount of simple ideas end up being infeasible when you try to implement them. even if they literally only used areas from part one.
The tech isn't something that you can't control because this kind of hardware. If they want they can easily release the yuffie dlc even for ps4 but for push even more the ps5 sales they have chosen to arbitrary make the thing exclusive for ps5. And this is just really ridiculous

Lethal01

The tech isn't something that you can't control because this kind of hardware.
I'm really not sure what this sentence means.

That said, if the game is built for PS5 then no they can't just "easily" release it for ps4 with changing the level design and gameplay.

Last edited:

Areiz

Banned
I'm really not sure what this sentence means.

That said, if the game is built for PS5 then no they can't just "easily" release it for ps4 with changing the level design and gameplay.
Final Fantasy VII Remake is made with the Unreal engine 4.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade is made with the Unreal engine 4. After that you have clearly see this, and after the little dlc trailer dedicated to Yuffie, that clearly use A LOT of the main game asset, how couldn't you see that all of this DLC thing is just a bad marketing strategy for forcing the players to play the entire thing only on PS5???? **** If this bad marketing joke from them isn't a bulls*it, I really don't know how to calling it

Last edited:

Lethal01

Final Fantasy VII Remake is made with the Unreal engine 4.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade is made with the Unreal engine 4. After that you have clearly see this, and after the little dlc trailer dedicated to Yuffie, that clearly use A LOT of the main game asset, how couldn't you see that all of this DLC thing is just a bad marketing strategy for forcing the players to play the entire thing only on PS5???? **** If this bad marketing joke from them isn't a bulls*it, I really don't know how to calling it

It running on unreal engine 4 has nothing to do with wether PS4 can run it.
once again it's not about whether it's reusing assets. Like I said, Just adding in a scene where yuffie travels through the already existing slums faster than Cloud did would be enough to have the PS4 choke.

Now, maybe we can agree that they are designing for PS5 because they want to promote the ps5 but that's a seperate issue.

Areiz

Banned
It running on unreal engine 4 has nothing to do with wether PS4 can run it.
once again it's not about whether it's reusing assets. Like I said, Just adding in a scene where yuffie travels through the already existing slums faster than Cloud did would be enough to have the PS4 choke.

Now, maybe we can agree that they are designing for PS5 because they want to promote the ps5 but that's a seperate issue.
Actually an engine technology is one of the primary aspects which the development team should use for creating a new software, in the first place. But in this case it was the same engine with little than just some high resolution textures, high framerates and nothing more than some effects like fog... For a simple work like this one, for made it work for the old PS4 version of the game it was literally a joke to do and with just a very little work to do.
It's sufficient cap the DLC framerates to 30fps like the main Remake game, downgrade the texture res and lightning and shadows effects, and there you go. The little Yuffie DLC that can surface even on PS4 with just a few little work. But Nomura and Square arbitrary said no. Because why limit the potential release of DLC for a PS4 game only to re-release the full thing to a mere next gen porting, when there's a tons of people that will surely blindly buy the full Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade package just for playing that new DLC, for the full 70$ price again.............. Surely not me

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Yeah, sometimes I think Square-Enix didn't really consider FF7R as a priority.
If you look at FF15, that game received much more polish and care visually speaking.

Maybe UE4 is to blame, but Dragon Quest XI was also UE4 and didn't had that many issues though.
That must be a joke.

15 felt so haphazardly slapped together. so many poorly thought out functions like the jump button being the interact button, the characters were unable to level up unless they found an inn, the towns were devoid of much to do, so much repeated dialogue, and so many npc's copy pasted and talking to their own exact character model was annoying.

I see a lot of love poured into 7, they did an excellent job realizing these characters and the setting from their old 1997 depictions. and aside from some texture issues it all looked gorgeous and was a fully fleshed out game.

Shmunter

Dat loading, shieeeeeeet.

Looking like first party loading times, nice. Hoping more 3rd party games can do this.
In time they will. The carrot being, it’s actually less dev effort. Ask/get the data ready to use, no need for extra code handling it. Last gen legacy needs to be pruned.

Last edited:

Lethal01

this is what i said when ppl compare pc and consoles the same game just with better effects.

Better effects means it's not the same.
"It's the same, just with high resolution texture, models, better light/shadows and particle effects"

okay

Last edited:
Top Bottom