• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake | PS5 VS PS4 | Trailer Comparison

Arxisz

Some of the changes seriously make it look worse, alot more foggy in some areas and the lighting changes just don't work in some scenes. the only good thing is 60fps. if this is the end product it's dissapointing for an " upgrade" .

Last edited:
Or worse... I noticed some missing shadows on the ps5 footage (probably not final version).

It's clearly stated in the trailer that it's being worked on and subject to change.

At the moment, the most significant change are the loading times; the lighting is also a bit better.

Elios83

Lol how about making such a video when SE finally releases at least a 4K trailer instead of 1080p??

BTW the improvements are obvious and significant, the high res textures and skyboxes, 60fps, lighting is much more dynamic with many extra light sources being reflected now and the loadings are almost instantaneous. It's impossible to judge the image quality improvements with the current compressed low res trailers.

Last edited:

Inviusx

Graphically it looks the same, just different artistic choices with colour grading.

Those load time improvements though holy shit!

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Also volumetrics
Lol how about making such a video when SE finally releases at least a 4K trailer instead of 1080p??

BTW the improvements are obvious and significant, the high res textures and skyboxes, 60fps, lighting is much more dynamic with many extra light sources being reflected now and the loadings are almost instantaneous. It's impossible to judge the image quality improvements with the current compressed low res trailers.
Also more (or added) volumetrics.
Interesting to see what the difference between 30 and 60 fps modes. (Probably resolution and shadow quality)

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It's really odd how this PS5 update was announced a day before we got the news that the current PS4 version FF7-R will be a PS+ freebie. The only way this extensive visual upgrade makes financial sense for Square Enix is when they announce Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade for PC and Xbox in the upcoming months.

leo-j

Tbh playing on ps4 pro, there were times I questioned howmthe game was running on a ps4. Then I realized they made the game super duper open world linear, which makes sense. One of the best looking games of that generation.

MMaRsu

Banned
It's really odd how this PS5 update was announced a day before we got the news that the current PS4 version FF7-R will be a PS+ freebie. The only way this extensive visual upgrade makes financial sense for Square Enix is when they announce Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade for PC and Xbox in the upcoming months.
The ps5 update isnt free if you got the game through PS+

Gamerguy84

Depends on the price but for me the graphical upgrade isn't worth much. Diminishing returns are a real thing more evident all the time.

But wow that 2 vs 42 second load time is absolutely amazing. They obviously reworked things to take advantage of the PS5 and that 2 seconds is amazing.

I'd like to see stats on the all the changes. If I squint, I can see the changes but I'm suddenly REALLY OK with sticking with the free PS+ version

UnNamed

Banned
XFqHtXEg.jpg

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I think it's the other way around: the only way offering the game on plus made sense would be for them to also sell an improved version that isn't available for Plus owners.

Game looks slightly better, looking forward to the lighting changes and such. Load times are the biggest improvement.

free update for me so I’m not complaining.

johntown

Banned
60fps is all I have been waiting for. It was hard to resist playing when it first came out but I think now is the right time. Looking forward to this version.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Dat loading, shieeeeeeet.

Looking like first party loading times, nice. Hoping more 3rd party games can do this.

Last edited:

Hugare

Lighting will be hit and miss, because in the original version, it's placed carefuly in each scene by artists

They probably havent reworked each and every scene of the game, so there will be instances where the original lighting will look better

Fog is ehhh. At the graveyard, it will look better by a mile. But everywhere else? Looks like they've overdone it

But oh man, I would like to play with those improved textures on the PS4, so bad

the_master

Glad to see that they not only added 60fps support but also improved the skyboxes/skydomes (a must for me) and made better lighting, also with volumetric fog

Kokoloko85

How much is the upgrade so you can play the new episode if you already have FF7 on PS4.

Not that I have it lol, I have to buy it for PS5 which I waited for

graywolf323

Ah ok so it can be bought separately
from the FAQ they put out yes but only for people that upgraded from the PS4 version

Square-Enix said:
Can I play the new episode featuring Yuffie on PlayStation 5 without purchasing FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE or FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE?

The new episode featuring Yuffie can only be played by either purchasing FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE on PlayStation 5, or by purchasing it separately after completing the free PlayStation 5 enhancement upgrade. * Please note the PS4 version of Final Fantasy VI Remake available to PlayStation Plus members is not eligible for the PS5 digital version upgrade.

[Sigma]

Not a fan of the added fog. Overall, this is certainly not enough for me to go back through the entire game again. I've done everything in it and done all the site seeing I can handle in the 100+ hours I spent on the game. I'm only in it for the Yuffie DLC at this point.

Kimahri

Banned
It's kind of a dick move if they don't . SE has been whispering sweet nothings in Xbox and PC ears for years now by releasing almost every Final Fantasy game on those platforms and give FF fans home there. To pull the rug under them now is just bullshit.

I already played it on PS4 so it doesn’t affect me, but if SE intends to keep games PS exclusive forever, I wish they'd communicate that clearly.

Nickolaidas

The shitty textures of the PS4 version still look shitty on the PS5 - even though the trailer was clever enough to not show scenes containing a lot of them, like in the Chapter where you travel in the junkyards with Aerith. Also, kudos to the maker of the video for comparing the already nearly flawless character models between the two versions and not focusing on what's truly lacking in the game: good textured in many backgrounds and objects.

Looks like we'll be waiting for hard-working modders to give us the true HD experience via PC mods.

Kokoloko85

The shitty textures of the PS4 version still look shitty on the PS5 - even though the trailer was clever enough to not show scenes containing a lot of them, like in the Chapter where you travel in the junkyards with Aerith. Also, kudos to the maker of the video for comparing the already nearly flawless character models between the two versions and not focusing on what's truly lacking in the game: good textured in many backgrounds and objects.

Looks like we'll be waiting for hard-working modders to give us the true HD experience via PC mods.

Can you show examples please

Loading times and framerate are the biggies

The loading was absurd....40+ seconds. Instant loading is a huge QOL improvement....
The lighting improvements look better in my opinion, the shrina building section with the glass looks way better. You can't really tell from the texture section if it looks better or not because the video is in 1080P, would be nice to get a 4K video of comparisons.

This game will cost $70 on PS5. You can get the PS4 version now for $20-$30 with a free upgrade.

Seems silly, unless they are charging $40+ for the Yuffie story DLC.

DapperSloth

Man some of you are entitled people haha, thank god it's just a few of you lot because this same thread over at ResetEra is a fucking embarassement, it's like I am reading r/choosingbeggars.

You don't "own" the game with PS+, you rent the game, why the fuck would they give you the upgrade for free? Buy that shit for $20-$30. You had like 1 whole year to buy it lol.

The improvements are obvious, but it's mostly lighting, which is much more accurate and beliavable now.
Also the load times, and it's 60 fps, so... stop talking nonsense please.
That's not a fair comparison at all. He's loading the game on a PS4 instead of a PS5. I assure you FFVII doesn't take 40 seconds to load on a PS5.

Nickolaidas

Can you show examples please
Just pause the video whenever it itself pauses to compare shots where you can see the backgrounds as clearly as you can, and tell me what kind of improvements do you see. Cause I didn't see anything substantial. Also, the shots they used to compare the versions almost always included the somewhat decent or even good textures, not the shitty ones like Cloud's infamous PSX era apartment door, or the junkyard.

So color me skeptic until I see good comparison shots where they include the shitty PS4 version textures.

Comparing Tifa and Aerith close-up models between the versions is next to useless, because their models were awesome as they were and no real improvement was necessary.

Nickolaidas

I mean, look at this: How the hell can you make a decent comparison on that shot when the backgrounds are blurry as fuck?

fcnUWIu.jpg

We need to see a solid comparison on some crystal clear images to see the actual improvements. This video is, in almost every way, entirely useless.

And honestly, this doesn't look better. At all.

bN7OtBy.jpg

Last edited:
So how much it will cost to upgrade the free PS4 plus version to the ps5? I’ve already played remake and tho story was crap. I have no desire to play it again unless it’s a 5£ Upgrade. The game felt super smooth for a 30fps title.

Mmnow

It always amazes me the short term thinking in situations like this.

"Let's not release the PS5 version for PS+ subscribers because then they might enjoy the game and BUY THE YUFFIE DLC. Can you fucking imagine that?!"

Instead, they're expecting people who will already have the game on PS4 to pay for it to gain access to the PS5 version and Yuffie DLC. Which is ridiculous. The amount of people who'll pay full price for a short story and a game they already have is tiny.

Corporate thinking, Ladies and Gentlemen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom