• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF Rebirth sold less than FFXVI in Japan at launch (336,027 vs 262,656) Retail

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The FFVII Remake project is probably nearing 10 million sales combined. How fucking crazy is that? And I don't mean that in a good way. A remake of one of the most legendary and iconic videos games ever made taking 4 years to reach 10 million sales, really shows how badly Square has mismanaged the Final Fantasy IP. They really fucked up. 10 years ago nobody would have ever dreamed a remake of FFVII wouldn't print money.

It's a shame because Rebirth is legit the best Final Fantasy game we've had in decades. But I don't think it's critical acclaim and good wom is going to help it. I'm sure the performance of XVI and Rebirth have spooked the shit out of Square.
Final Fantasy brand has been stagnating for a LOOOOOONG time. Wish SE could see this after 15 and 16 respectively. For every good FF game they put out 2 or 3 crappier ones. I really think this overfocus on graphics and the "Hollywood/Disney" effect hurts Square more then it helps them.

I'd rather they make good RPGs with great stories instead of success coasting and milking the FF7 cow.

I'd like to believe they can make a compelling RPG without burning loads of money to do it.

Another issue you have it it'll take them a total of 10 years to put out their FFVII-2 across 3 games totaling up to a big price of $210 vs. $50 for the Original retail set of discs.

Madflavor

Final Fantasy brand has been stagnating for a LOOOOOONG time. Wish SE could see this after 15 and 16 respectively. For every good FF game they put out 2 or 3 crappier ones. I really think this overfocus on graphics and the "Hollywood/Disney" effect hurts Square more then it helps them.

I'd rather they make good RPGs with great stories instead of success coasting and milking the FF7 cow.

I'd like to believe they can make a compelling RPG without burning loads of money to do it.

Another issue you have it it'll take them a total of 10 years to put out their FFVII-2 across 3 games totaling up to a big price of $210 vs. $50 for the Original retail set of discs.

They need to start building an audience with Nintendo again. Final Fantasy has no future with Sony in Japan. The only way to get around this is to appeal to the West more, but so far they haven't succeeded in that department.

This need to chase the Graphics golden goose is a toxic mindset at this point. Going back 25 years ago, Square were the kings of that department. Not anymore. They've been surpassed by many companies in the visuals department. They need to adjust for the future and scale back the visual fidelity of these games starting with XVII. Prioritize visual style over fidelity. If they stay the course they're fucking screwed. FFXIV can't keep them afloat forever. Maybe one day they'll have their Breath of the Wild type of game.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

They need to start building an audience with Nintendo again. Final Fantasy has no future with Sony in Japan. The only way to get around this is to appeal to the West more, but so far they haven't succeeded in that department.

This need to chase the Graphics golden goose is a toxic mindset at this point. Going back 25 years ago, Square were the kings of that department. Not anymore. They've been surpassed by many companies in the visuals department. They need to adjust for the future and scale back the visual fidelity of these games starting with XVII. Prioritize visual style over fidelity. If they stay the course they're fucking screwed. FFXIV can't keep them afloat forever. Maybe one day they'll have their Breath of the Wild type of game.
Nintendo isn't a growth sphere for 3rd party IP. Frankly, if the IP doesn't have most of a 30 year history on Nintendo systems, it's probably not got much of a future. The exception to this is Splatoon, I guess.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Been saying this for years but they should focus on primarily AA budget games and release their games simultaneously on consoles and PC. Pretty sure after they pretty much said Rebirth will come to PC eventually a large portion of the people buying FF games will just wait for the complete PC version since you know that prior to PC release they will want some money in the vein of Intermission/Intergrade.

I think if they made good games that are so fun(on a consistent basis) you don't want to miss out on then SE would have more positive reception. All the graphics in the world won't matter if the game sucks but if you put out a bunch of garbage and one good game all the games more then likely will be underlooked or not perform as well.

If you have a box of apples and a couple are rotten then you have to throw out all the apples.

Square unfortunately is never going to see their golden age of the PSX-PS2 era return where they released RPG after RPG and they all hit their mark. What you have now are admittedly average games that take 10 years to make and millions upon millions of dollars thrown out the window. Such waste.

Seems like they just want to make money and forgot about wanting to tell a compelling narrative.

Woopah

Nintendo isn't a growth sphere for 3rd party IP. Frankly, if the IP doesn't have most of a 30 year history on Nintendo systems, it's probably not got much of a future. The exception to this is Splatoon, I guess.
Splstoon is a first party IP. Third parties can be achieve growth on Switch (and probably Switch 2) if they invest consistently in those platforms.

Woopah

I'm aware.
Is there any evidence of this? Everything I can think of has indicated otherwise.
I think I might have misunderstood your point, so I just want to clarify.

Are you saying that the only IP which can achieve sales growth on Switch in Japan, is that which have been on Nintendo systems for 15 years or more?

Physical game sales are on the decline. This means nothing in terms of the actual sales of the game, as all physical media is selling less than it did four years ago.

ProtoByte

I think I might have misunderstood your point, so I just want to clarify.

Are you saying that the only IP which can achieve sales growth on Switch in Japan, is that which have been on Nintendo systems for 15 years or more?
Yeah.
There are a lot of IP that have only been available via Nintendo platforms - high selling ones too - that went nowhere. Maybe they're not large scale enough, but I think the vast, vast majority will prefer to play their large scale games on PS, as far as consoles are concerned. Switch 2 will be more comparatively powerful than the Switch, but the gap won't be shrunk down to nothing, and within 3-4 years of its 7-8 year lifespan, the PS6 will be out.

Woopah

Yeah.
There are a lot of IP that have only been available via Nintendo platforms - high selling ones too - that went nowhere. Maybe they're not large scale enough, but I think the vast, vast majority will prefer to play their large scale games on PS, as far as consoles are concerned. Switch 2 will be more comparatively powerful than the Switch, but the gap won't be shrunk down to nothing, and within 3-4 years of its 7-8 year lifespan, the PS6 will be out.
I guess it depends what you mean by high scale. Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest have seen good sales in Japan by being on Switch.

If companies invest in building an audience for franchises like Kingdom Hearts, Persona, and Resident Evil on Switch /Switch 2, they are going to see higher sales than if those franchises didn't appear on Nintendo platforms (both in Japan and worldwide).

If companies invest in building an audience for franchises like Kingdom Hearts, Persona, and Resident Evil on Switch /Switch 2, they are going to see higher sales than if those franchises didn't appear on Nintendo platforms (both in Japan and worldwide).

And Nintendo would see higher sales if they released their games on PlayStation but it’s not going to happen.

Not everything is dictated by highest sales numbers

ProtoByte

I guess it depends what you mean by high scale. Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest have seen good sales in Japan by being on Switch.
Both franchises that have a storied history on Nintendo systems.

But didn't DQ11 sell more on PS? And, while Rise isn't "mainline" in the normal sense, did it not sell less than half of what World sold? Despite the latter skipping the Switch totally?

I'd have to study KH numbers on Nintendo systems, but I think it's a fuzzy example. Other than on Xbox, KH was all over the place. From one spinoff to the next you couldn't be assured that the next game would be on the platform you bought the previous.

Persona... I haven't seen any evidence that there was some sales explosion with the porting 5 to non-PS platforms.

The other problem is that the power differential makes ports that much more an expensive proposition; and I think that's well understood given Madflavor Madflavor 's and MagiusNecros MagiusNecros ' suggestions that Square reverts mainline titles to AA scale, which I'll address separately.

Porcile

The game will have multiple releases probably across multiple generations. In the long term it will probably do fine.

The game will have multiple releases probably across multiple generations. In the long term it will probably do fine.

Theres a difference when your game makes profit by great sales early on versus "it sold 25 million coppies" after 15 years and while it was on discount 20 times and can now buy it for $3.

Porcile

Theres a difference when your game makes profit by great sales early on versus "it sold 25 million coppies" after 15 years and while it was on discount 20 times and can now buy it for $3.

Time to start thinking like that because this is the road for all all high-budget single-player games if the industry stays the way it is now.

Last edited:
Like in the UK looks like a big drop in sales for FF Rebirth for the second week in Japan is incoming.

03./01. [PS5] Final Fantasy VII Rebirth <RPG> (Square Enix) {2024.02.29} (¥8,980) - 16 / 198 (-91%)

Oberstein

FF7: Rebirth is down to No.2 with an 89% drop week-on-week.

oof-damn.gif

Yes, you can see it in the UK boxed sales charts. But even the NPD charts show the same thing too.
That doesn’t prove anything.

90% of xbox software sales are digital. That means not as many day 1 purchases. People like to wait and get it after a sale.

You guys oversell gamepass too much. Apparently I don’t need anything else if I have that.

Like in the UK looks like a big drop in sales for FF Rebirth for the second week in Japan is incoming.

03./01. [PS5] Final Fantasy VII Rebirth <RPG> (Square Enix) {2024.02.29} (¥8,980) - 16 / 198 (-91%)

That does not surprise me.

Between Part 1 and the Demo, people should have a pretty good idea of what they are getting themselves into. And Square ran a 'promo' for months throwing in Part 1 "for free" if you preordered on PSN.

I think if you were going to buy the game at full price, you would have already bought it by now. It might really be that front loaded.

fallingdove

They’re now facing the innovators dilemma. They can’t go back to making non-graphics powerhouse Final Fantasy games. They've set that standard for the last 15 games. If they did, they would loose a huge portion of their fan base.

Square desperately need to develop a new JRPG IP that is somewhere between a bravely default and something with the production value of a ratchet and clank that pushes the boundaries of exploration, storytelling and a more turn-based oriented combat.

Alebrije

Played FF16 and liked it, it's combat system was great but the rest lame. Started this weekend FF7 Rebird and still on the first zone doing stuff, this Game is better than FF16 becuase production values , Side missions , chocobo management , minigames, Open world scope, etc.

Hope FF17 developers take FF7 Rebird as a guide because is the Best FF since 9.

FingerBang

This is encouraging to see someone who also wasn't a fan of the first game enjoy this. Maybe I'll give it a second look.
I consider FFVII Renake a piece of shit of a game. Not hyperbole, terrible game, terrible level design, terrible pacing, terrible story/characters.

I am loving FFVII Rebirth. The story is still retarded, but my expectations are different. Gameplay-wise is on a completely different level. They took the best of XV and VII Remake (the combat system) and the result is fantastic. I'm only 30 hours in, so can't speak for the entire game... except that's how long it took me to finished VIIR and I hated it almost immediately. Couldn't be bothered to do any side-quests. So far I'm doing everything I can I'm Rebirth.

Surprisingly, the best Final Fantasy since XII

Nickolaidas

I consider FFVII Renake a piece of shit of a game. Not hyperbole, terrible game, terrible level design, terrible pacing, terrible story/characters.

I am loving FFVII Rebirth. The story is still retarded, but my expectations are different. Gameplay-wise is on a completely different level. They took the best of XV and VII Remake (the combat system) and the result is fantastic. I'm only 30 hours in, so can't speak for the entire game... except that's how long it took me to finished VIIR and I hated it almost immediately. Couldn't be bothered to do any side-quests. So far I'm doing everything I can I'm Rebirth.

Surprisingly, the best Final Fantasy since XII
I loved Remake and can't imagine how much I'll love Rebirth.

IAmRei

I'm aware.

Is there any evidence of this? Everything I can think of has indicated otherwise.
monster hunter rise? i think its about 7-8? i forgot
i havent check anything yet, i only recall MHR

their Bravely Default or Octo i think about 1m each there, but it might be not too accurate. havent research much about this

Durin

Neo Member

I'd say the closest they've gotten is Octopath Traveler 2, which I'd like to see more of from them. Doing a main-line or tactics FF game with a decent AA budget would be what I want from them vs. all the money they dump into production values that have diminishing returns anyway now.

Woopah

Both franchises that have a storied history on Nintendo systems.
I was just pointing out that putting large scale games on Nintendo systems and building an audience for them resulted in success.

But didn't DQ11 sell more on PS? And, while Rise isn't "mainline" in the normal sense, did it not sell less than half of what World sold? Despite the latter skipping the Switch totally?
In Japan DQ 11 sold 1.8 million physical on the 3DS and 1.3 million on the PS4, and then the DQ 11S port that came a couple of years later sold 800,000 on the Switch.

From the Capcom leak, the PS4 version of MH World sold 8.6 million in its first 1.5 years. Rise launched first on Switch and did at least 7 million on that platform, then hit 8 million just after its launch on PC 10 months later. Of course both World and Rise have sold a lot since then, but we don't know the platform break down.

But back to my wider point, a platform doesn't need to have most of the sales to be a growth opportunity. Ace Attorney sells best on Nintendo, but PlayStation is a growth opportunity for that franchise.

Likewise in Japan we have seen some PS-focused franchises invest in growing an audience on Switch, and that has worked out for them.

I'd have to study KH numbers on Nintendo systems, but I think it's a fuzzy example. Other than on Xbox, KH was all over the place. From one spinoff to the next you couldn't be assured that the next game would be on the platform you bought the previous.

I agree that's an issue, that why I'm arguing for publishers to build an audience on a ecosystem by consistently investing in it over time.

Persona... I haven't seen any evidence that there was some sales explosion with the porting 5 to non-PS platforms.

The ports did 1.7 million in under 6 months, so it definitely helped grow the game even though they were late ports.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'd say the closest they've gotten is Octopath Traveler 2, which I'd like to see more of from them. Doing a main-line or tactics FF game with a decent AA budget would be what I want from them vs. all the money they dump into production values that have diminishing returns anyway now.
BDFF(Bravely Default), BDFF2, Octopath 1 and 2 are the closest to retro FF I feel. It's why by and large out of all Square IPs I only really get excited for Dragon Quest these days from them.

Top Bottom