• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF Rebirth sold less than FFXVI in Japan at launch (336,027 vs 262,656) Retail

Square and Capcom are traditional Japanese companies that have heavily leaned to the West, for better or worse.

Surprise, surprise, sales declined in Japan. Who could have guessed?

Exclusivity is NOT the issue. Anyway, Square themselves said why this is a console exclusive at launch so the argument is debunked already.
So you're hinting at xenophobia?

Madflavor

Square and Capcom are traditional Japanese companies that have heavily leaned to the West, for better or worse.

Surprise, surprise, sales declined in Japan. Who could have guessed?

Exclusivity is NOT the issue. Anyway, Square themselves said why this is a console exclusive at launch so the argument is debunked already.

How do you look at PS5 software sales in Japan and not think exclusivity is the issue?

It’s not an East vs West thing. Baldur’s Gate 3 was the top downloaded game in Japan last January.

I think a big issue is being told you have to buy each piece of a trilogy on a different platform. It's like buying the first part on VHS, the second on DVD, and the third on Blu Ray. No wonder a lot of people told FFVIIR to fuck off.

wvnative

I think a big issue is being told you have to buy each piece of a trilogy on a different platform. It's like buying the first part on VHS, the second on DVD, and the third on Blu Ray. No wonder a lot of people told FFVIIR to fuck off.

wtf?

All 3 parts are going to be on PS5... what are you talking about?

Fake

How do you look at PS5 software sales in Japan and not think exclusivity is the issue?

It’s not an East vs West thing. Baldur’s Gate 3 was the top downloaded game in Japan last January.

So exclusivity is hurting PS5, but not Nintendo Switch?

And be the top downloaded doesn't mean much when we got physical sales still doing great, while the legs of download games in comparison are pretty vague.

I don't fall into this exclusivity premisse. PS4 was totally fine with this and NS is more than fine.

People must face that Sony are not making japanese games as used to be and this is the main impact/factor.

Third parties like Atlus, Capcom and Square Enix are literally caring Sony in the back on Japan.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world

ps5 can play ps4 games that isn't even remotely comparable
2f4.jpg

Last edited:

ByWatterson

I think with all this consternation, we should mention that Rebirth was made in under four years, a pretty fast output that surely kept the budget within reason.

Throw in whatever money they got from Sony, and I'm sure the game is doing fine.

wvnative

The first one was on PS4, the second is on PS5, and we don't know when the third part is coming. Could be made in mind with PS5 Pro, or worse, exclusive to PS6. That's like $1500 in hardware to play a trilogy? lolnothanku

Part 3 isn't going to be on PS6 exclusively. I can assure you of that. And no game is developed with pro consoles as a baseline.

Now... PS6 might be the best place to play Part 3, PS5 games might be looking rough by that point.

Part 1 was on PS4 yes, but was ported 8 months into PS5's life.

Point is, anyone who wants to play the trilogy, can play the entire thing on a PS5 console.

Part 3 isn't going to be on PS6 exclusively. I can assure you of that. And no game is developed with pro consoles as a baseline.

Now... PS6 might be the best place to play Part 3, PS5 games might be looking rough by that point.

Part 1 was on PS4 yes, but was ported 8 months into PS5's life.

Point is, anyone who wants to play the trilogy, can play the entire thing on a PS5 console.
That's just a possibility, like my scenario. If part three comes out in 2028 or later, which is likely, what's stopping Sony from just making it PS6 exclusive? Exactly like parts one and two were...

wvnative

That's just a possibility, like my scenario. If part three comes out in 2028 or later, which is likely, what's stopping Sony from just making it PS6 exclusive? Exactly like parts one and two were...

They aren't going to wait till almost 2030 to launch the next part, as they can reuse Rebirths' open world largely, and should only have to make a handful of new environments. Even looking at a possible 2028 release, PS6 won't be out until that holiday, and if it by some insane reason got pushed to early 2029, that'd be way too early for a next-gen exclusive title.

Even Squenix wouldn't be dumb enough to make us wait till PS6 for Part 3.

DrFigs

There was also a lot of misinformation though in this thread (or maybe a different one) about how the 90% drop was disastrous and the worst possible drop for FF. and like the lowest 2nd week drop for FF was 87%. it's also the 2nd best selling ps5 game in Japan - second only to FF16. so people definitely are exaggerating its flop status.

Last edited:
They aren't going to wait till almost 2030 to launch the next part, as they can reuse Rebirths' open world largely, and should only have to make a handful of new environments. Even looking at a possible 2028 release, PS6 won't be out until that holiday, and if it by some insane reason got pushed to early 2029, that'd be way too early for a next-gen exclusive title.

Even Squenix wouldn't be dumb enough to make us wait till PS6 for Part 3.
Hope you're right, because my scenario would really be terrible. Just seems like a lot of people are holding off on part two. Maybe they're waiting for the third game, or a triple pack before jumping in. I'm not buying a PS6 so I really hope all three are going to be available on PS5. They need to reprint part one physically on PS5 as well.

Hudo

I wonder if dragon quest 12 will also perform poorly compared to DQ11 whenever it comes out.
Probably not. Dragon Quest knows what the fuck it's about and knows what to focus on, hence why the DQ games are good. (Edit: It helps tremendously that Horii has been at the helm since DQ1 and lives and breathes DQ. He knows what DQ is about and where it should go)

Square don't know what to do with Final Fantasy anymore and it fucking shows.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The first one was on PS4, the second is on PS5, and we don't know when the third part is coming. Could be made in mind with PS5 Pro, or worse, exclusive to PS6. That's like $1500 in hardware to play a trilogy? lolnothanku
May as well build a PC at that point and have a machine that can play 90% of all games and be twice as powerful as any console device out on the market.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
A very possible nightmare scenario. If FFVIIR part 3 takes 5 or more years to develop, it'll be exclusive to PS6!

Yah they have the precedent of not releasing Intergrade on PS4. Perhaps they will do the same of skipping PS5 with Rebirth Intergrade or Part 3, so fans skips this game and choose to wait for all 3 parts to be released just to be safe.

DrFigs

This keeps coming up. PS5 software is dead over there. Final Fantasy being at the top of the list isn’t the win you think it is.
i just said what i said, which is people are exaggerating how bad it is doing. not that it's secretly doing great numbers.

wvnative

Hope you're right, because my scenario would really be terrible. Just seems like a lot of people are holding off on part two. Maybe they're waiting for the third game, or a triple pack before jumping in. I'm not buying a PS6 so I really hope all three are going to be available on PS5. They need to reprint part one physically on PS5 as well.

I promise it will come to PS5 bud.

I DO NOT promise it will be a good experience on PS5 lol. Rebirth, even in graphics mode is looking rough. Was exploring gongaga last night, and I swear the resolution looked like it dropped to 720p when climbing up one of the ropes.

May as well build a PC at that point and have a machine that can play 90% of all games and be twice as powerful as any console device out on the market.
I've never cared about power or modern tech, so these current consoles will be my last as I have a ton of games and systems already, and if I have to scratch that modern gaming itch, there will always be the cloud.

Kacho

i just said what i said, which is people are exaggerating how bad it is doing. not that it's secretly doing great numbers.
And I’m saying Rebirth being the second best selling game on PS5 doesn’t prove it’s not a flop for Final Fantasy. The series continues to trend downwards over there.

Madflavor

So exclusivity is hurting PS5, but not Nintendo Switch?

Yes because the Switch is colossally more popular than the PS5, are you shitting me right now?

You could not have shown a better way to display you have 0 idea what you’re talking about than what you just said. Nintendo absolutely dominates in Japan, and games over there lean heavily toward mobile gaming.

Last edited:
There was also a lot of misinformation though in this thread (or maybe a different one) about how the 90% drop was disastrous and the worst possible drop for FF. and like the lowest 2nd week drop for FF was 87%. it's also the 2nd best selling ps5 game in Japan - second only to FF16. so people definitely are exaggerating its flop status.
Its mostly FF7 purists and people with hate boners who keep pushing that Rebirth is a flop because they're desperate for validation on why the remake project was a bad idea. I'd respect them more if they just said that they hate the Remake and want Nomura and Nojima to die instead of talking bullshit.

lordrand11

Negative.
Considering the hardware architecture is similar to PC, building it in tandem with the PS5 version shouldn't be an issue other than a bit more resources dictated. More avenues of revenue typically mean more revenue, as to whether it would do insanely well that's to be seen.

The game is fun and decent, just not $70 worth of fun.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
SE has nobody to blame but themselves for the absolute state of the Final Fantasy IP. It’s a complete mess. They lost the plot after FFX. Every game is completely different and uniquely shitty. Play FF6 and then play FFXV. The only way you would know you were playing a game in the same series is chocobos and nostalgia bait music.

Now compare that to how Capcom handled Monster Hunter. If you played MH Tri then MHW or MH Rise you would immediately recognize it as a game in the same series. They made QOL improvements and improved the graphics along the way but things are more or less the same. The games are structured in the same way and the loop is the same.

Bravely Default 2 feels like more of an FF game than modern FF. I hope Square feels stupid seeing Larian taking an ancient IP and making a game that feels old school and new at the same time, winning GOTY and selling a shitload of copies.

sendit

Considering the hardware architecture is similar to PC, building it in tandem with the PS5 version shouldn't be an issue other than a bit more resources dictated. More avenues of revenue typically mean more revenue, as to whether it would do insanely well that's to be seen.

The game is fun and decent, just not $70 worth of fun.
I'm all for a PC version. However, how much more sales would a PC version of FF7 Rebirth generate in Japan? The game is massive, it is well worth 70 dollars.

Last edited:

Fake

Yes because the Switch is colossally more popular than the PS5, are you shitting me right now?

No. Its you the one shitting on me.

Playstation not being relevant on Japan is happening from quite sometime, so when you came here saying 'exclusivity' is the cause, I don't fall into this bs.

Never hurt PS4.

Aenima

Exact reason why im waiting for the final game of the trilogy and hope they release a complete/ collection edition with all the games and dlc when that cames out in physical format.

I had the chance to play FF7R Intergrade on PS5 thanks to being on PS+ and i really enjoyed it, but having the story sliced in 3, its a turn off for a FF7 fan that played the original and just want a remake with a beginning, middle and ending.

Last edited:
Exact reason why im waiting for the final game of the trilogy and hope they release a complete/ colection with all the games and dlc when that cames out in physical format.

I had the chance to play FF7R Intergrade on PS5 thanks to being on PS+ and i really enjoyed it, but having the story sliced in 3, its a turn off for a FF7 fan that played the original and just want a remake with a beginning, middle and ending.
So far I've only invested in the collector's edition of Remake on PS4. Something has kept me from getting Rebirth in Feb and March, and now we hear it's bombing in multiple regions. I was hyped for Rebirth when I saw the trailers, and I enjoyed Remake, and played Intergrade on + last year, but now I think I'll wait for a complete collection like you are doing.

Madflavor

No. Its you the one shitting on me.
Good one.

Playstation not being relevant on Japan is happening from quite sometime, so when you came here saying 'exclusivity' is the cause, I don't fall into this bs.

Never hurt PS4.

You just contradicted yourself here. You’re claiming PlayStation hasn’t been relevant in Japan for sometime, confirming that you’re aware FF being exclusive to PlayStation is a problem, but you end it with saying it never hurt the PS4.

So which is it man? Get your own argument sorted.

Final Fantasy is exclusively on a console that’s doing horrible with software sales across the board, in a country that leans far more towards Nintendo and mobile gaming.

Woopah

Nah it's a factor. Plus if you compare sales of previous FF games across it's timeline you most definitely see a massive decline. It's gone down on average from 1.3m sales to around 200-300k. For a mainline title that's not good at all. For a new IP or niche title it's great but for FF that's atrocious.

I also forgot another factor which is Price Inflation.

The games itself play a major factor. Lots more people had a PS4 and some may not be so keen to buy another system just for Rebirth and if you have a PC you can save money by just waiting it out.

Also PS5 selling faster doesn't really matter if no one is buying PS3 or PS4 anymore. I'd only give validity to this statement if PS5 was selling faster that it outsold PS3 and PS4 lifetime sales which currently I do not think it has reached that milestone.
PS5 is on track to outsell both PS4 and PS5, and there's more PS5s sold in Japan now than PS3s / PS4s sold when FFXIII and FFXV came out on.

Handheld gaming has been popular for decades, why would it now make console games sell lower numbers on a higher userbase?

Roxkis_ii

Lol at the port begging in this thread.

Exclusive games serve more then purpose of just selling games. It also bring value to the console. If SE don't have a problem with their ROI, then I who is anyone else to say that the game is doing bad?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yes, but:

1. How has that got anything to do with handhelds?
2. Do you really think Rebirth's launch would be as high as FF games on the PS4 and PS3 if digital was included?
Lots of people play F2P and gacha games on their phones. Grindy games at that which require large time investment.

As high? Probably not because install base is lower. And brand was already stagnating during PS3 era after XIII.

sendit

Good one.

You just contradicted yourself here. You’re claiming PlayStation hasn’t been relevant in Japan for sometime, confirming that you’re aware FF being exclusive to PlayStation is a problem, but you end it with saying it never hurt the PS4.

So which is it man? Get your own argument sorted.

Final Fantasy is exclusively on a console that’s doing horrible with software sales across the board, in a country that leans far more towards Nintendo and mobile gaming.
I agree with this. If FF7 Rebirth was released on the Series consoles in Japan, it would have added 5 additional physical purchases. This would have pushed it from flop to success.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
71096_90_final-fantasy-7-remakes-midgar-is-city-made-into-world_full.png
Very first ff game I played was the remake, actually I’ll play part two, cloud felt like a real hero, the plot was clear and confusing at the same time

Griffon

That's why I decided to sit this one out.
I'm just gonna wait and get it all on PC, all neatly in a single place that wont have heavy framerate limits down the line.

Madflavor

I'm just gonna wait and get it all on PC, all neatly in a single place that wont have heavy framerate limits down the line.

I’m inclined to believe Part 3 won’t do as bad as some people think, because of the inevitable Trilogy bundle.

Woopah

Lots of people play F2P and gacha games on their phones. Grindy games at that which require large time investment.

As high? Probably not because install base is lower. And brand was already stagnating during PS3 era after XIII.
But install base is not smaller. The console install base for Rebirth is higher than it was for FFXIII, FFXV or FFXVI when they came out.

People using their PS5s for F2P games instead could indeed be a cause, I agree there.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I’m inclined to believe Part 3 won’t do as bad as some people think, because of the inevitable Trilogy bundle.
Oh I think it might do better if it's marketed as a complete story. I don't think many really like the idea of chopping FF7 up into episodic games. Not to mention the confusion with FF7R being a pseudo sequel instead of a Remake(OG game but updated graphics).

Can't blame ya bro, I'm going to wait for a physical PS5 or Switch 2 Triple pack. I'd hate to buy part two at $70 then possibly be locked out of part three if they make it exclusive to PS6.

Durin

Neo Member
BDFF(Bravely Default), BDFF2, Octopath 1 and 2 are the closest to retro FF I feel. It's why by and large out of all Square IPs I only really get excited for Dragon Quest these days from them.
Only thing with Dragon Quest for me is I wish it would innovate more in terms of gameplay, but just keep it turn-based and keep the same vibe.

I still don't know why Capcom decided to stop making Breath of Fire games after the last one being low effort mobile trash.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I still don't know why Capcom decided to stop making Breath of Fire games after the last one being low effort mobile trash.
Dead franchise as far as we know. Just like Megaman and Onimusha.

Capcom is mostly just Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter and not sure if Dragon's Dogma will be more frequent. That Tower Defense Goddess game looks like the closest Capcom will get to Onimusha kind of stuff for a while.

Top Bottom