• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 26 (Jun 19 - Jun 25)

KellyM

Post numbers or something. I’m not watching through a long ass video from someone random on YouTube for you to get your point across. Give me some actual context in your reply, and not just an embedded video, and I’ll respect that a hell of a lot more.
Ok...the numbers of both FF7R and FF15 were higher on the PS4 then the beginning numbers of 16. Before someone says the user base the PS5.... the user base on Ps4 was alot lower when FF15 came out compared to the PS5 currently. FF16 sold alot less in Japan.

Ok...the numbers of both FF7R and FF15 were higher on the PS4 then the beginning numbers of 16. Before someone says the user base the PS5.... the user base on Ps4 was alot lower when FF15 came out compared to the PS5 currently. FF16 sold alot less in Japan.
Except, it wasn’t.

It was about the same in Japan and it was about 10m. More WW, the PS4 was around 48-49m when XV launched WW and PS5 is around 38-39 when XVI launched.

Why people are still doing this?

YukiOnna

PS4 Consoles sold by December 2016 were more or less the same in the year XV launched it seems. By December 2016, the console had hit 50M WW, too compared to the current 38M.
The biggest difference is that the market is vastly different from 2016 to Current year (physical/digital, market size, etc.), if the severe supply constraints that the PS5 had up until this year existed for the PS4, and brand value which is accounted for.

The attach rate for the XVI compared to total PS5's is pretty solid all things considered. I think the actual combined launch week numbers aren't that far off from XV.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Okay, thank you. I stand corrected then. I imagine it will have more legs than 15 in Japan, and I was probably thinking worldwide when I commented initially. I also know the handheld market has expanded drastically in Japan since FF15 came out. Plus if we are being real, people were initially skeptical about it being non turn based or non atb based. I think now that the verdict is out that the game is phenomenal and is indeed “still Final Fantasy”, the numbers are going to balloon like crazy.

I also think the increase in handheld gaming, especially the Switch there, coupled with Zelda releasing so recently added to less numbers. That will change though, once people burn out from Zelda and they see that FF16 is solid.

Last edited:

KellyM

Except, it wasn’t.

It was about the same in Japan and it was about 10m. More WW, the PS4 was around 48-49m when XV launched WW and PS5 is around 38-39 when XVI launched.

Do you have proof? I tend to believe OJ from the video who said the PS4 numbers were lower then the PS5 when both FF games came out. He doesn't lie and doesn't try to spread BS. Can you show official numbers from famitsu or a Japanese magazine that covered the numbers? We are talking Japan not world wide. I am more curious.

Do you have proof? I tend to believe OJ from the video who said the PS4 numbers were lower then the PS5 when both FF games came out. He doesn't lie and doesn't try to spread BS. Can you show official numbers from famitsu or a Japanese magazine that covered the numbers? We are talking Japan not world wide. I am more curious.

Numbers taken from Media Create.

One thing to take into account is that there was a proper FFXV LE PS4 when the game released.

Last edited:

Oof85

Except, it wasn’t.

Because for a title like FF, the size of the install base isn't really relevant, outside of it being abnormally tiny ala WiiU or something.

FF isn't something that people just pick up because they see it's out, it's a premiere core title that's meant to sell systems and galvanize the base.

It selling what it did isn't a failure but it's also not a roaring success.

For the profile and legacy of the series, its squarely mid. And that's just the launch.

Legs will decide how it's seen as an overall performer for the series.

Switch has a big exclusive for the Japanese market this holiday. Momotaro Dentetsu World: Chikyū wa Kibō de Mawatteru! (The World Turns on Hope) for the Nintendo Switch is slated for a November 16 release in Japan.

Last edited:

blacktout

Switch has a big exclusive for the Japanese market this holiday. Momotaro Dentetsu World: Chikyū wa Kibō de Mawatteru! (The World Turns on Hope) for the Nintendo Switch is slated for a November 16 release in Japan.

Given how fucking huge these games are in Japan, you'd think they give localizing them a shot just to see if they can expand the reach of the franchise. I understand that it's very "Japanese," but that hasn't stopped other games from finding a surprise following in the west.

Mr Moose

PS4 was at 3,745,023 when 15 launched.

Impotaku

Given how fucking huge these games are in Japan, you'd think they give localizing them a shot just to see if they can expand the reach of the franchise. I understand that it's very "Japanese," but that hasn't stopped other games from finding a surprise following in the west.
The closest we have gotten is the billion road game, shame really as momoden is a fantastic boardgame, i'm hoping the new one has the furigana option above the kanji as it makes playing a hell of a lot easier. Was super happy when i found it when randomly looking through the millions of option settings.

Woopah

The biggest new game next week should be Rain Code from Spike Chunsoft. I think it'll do around 32,000, any other predictions?

JSRhYq4.jpg
plseb5K.jpg

Top Bottom