• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 23, 2023 (May 29 - Jun 04)

Famitsu Sales: Week 23, 2023 (May 29 - Jun 04)

SOFTWARE

01./01. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2023.05.12} (¥7.200) - 78.602 / 1.594.275 (-47%)
02./00. [NSW] Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection <RPG> (Atlus) {2023.06.01} (¥8.164) - 38.656 / NEW
03./00. [PS5] Street Fighter 6 <FTG> (Capcom) {2023.06.02} (¥7.990) - 21.192 / NEW
04./00. [PS4] Street Fighter 6 <FTG> (Capcom) {2023.06.02} (¥7.990) - 12.078 / NEW
05./02. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 9.641 / 5.319.756 (+15%)
06./00. [NSW] We Love Katamari Reroll + Royal Reverie <ACT> (Bandai Namco Entertainment) {2023.06.01} (¥3.600) - 8.415 / NEW
07./04. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 7.075 / 2.203.151 (+11%)
08./05. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 6.152 / 3.152.980 (+15%)
09./00. [NSW] Loop8: Summer of Gods <RPG> (Marvelous) {2023.06.01} (¥5.980) - 5.796 / NEW
10./07. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200) - 5.606 / 5.205.971 (+13%)

Top 10

NSW - 8
PS4 - 1
PS5 - 1

HARDWARE

HcW6NKA.jpg

Last edited:

NoobSmog

I have no idea how well it actually sold, but multiplayer games tend to sell more digitally so you don't have to put a disk in every time you want to play a couple matches.

Last edited:
Japan isnt relevant for the game Market anymore in years, is such a nich nowdays, thats y most japoaneses releases sell a lot more over the seas.

Third biggest market in the world and the drop off to fourth place is gigantic. The country also spends more per capita on games than any other country in the world.

Rat Rage

Street fighter 6 numbers are bad

And, yet again, Japan proves to have superior taste in Fighting Games. SF6 features too many dumbed-down mechanics in order to appeal to modern mainstream video game audiences, which Japan probably doesn't like.

Why would they play a lame-ass kiddie-fighting game like SF6 if they could spend their time playing better games like SF2 Turbo, SFIII, Capcom vs SNK 2? Japan is in a very fortunate position where finding places and opportunities to play these amazing games is pretty easy, because they still have easy access to way more available arcades than other countries.

There is nothing wrong with playing or liking SF6. People play and like Smash Brothers, too. People play and like Fortnite and Overwatch, League of Legends and all that shit.

It's all subjective in the end. Yet, in my opinion, Japan proves to have better taste in Fighting Games.

Woopah

Japanese gamers buying PS5 consoles at a higher rate than PS4, but not buying games? 🤷‍♂️

I guess the digital attach rate must be very high and cutting heavily into physical sales.
But with nearly 4mil consoles in circulation it doesn't make sense so many good IPs sell less than 200k, many less than 100k. Which makes me think it must be a very high digital atattachment.
but the PS5 is still on their 2-3 year....too early for comparison imo.
According to some of the dumber members of our site, they're being shipped to China.

The disconnect between software sales and hardware sales for PS5 in Japan is something we have not seems before. A rise in digital is not enough to explain it.

When PS5s were in short supply, scalping was one of the theories put forward to explain the disconnect there was some to logic to that. But looking at it now, probably the scalping theory isnt the right and something else is happening, possibly a major shift in the PS5 audience from full games to F2P games.
Japan isnt relevant for the game Market anymore in years, is such a nich nowdays, thats y most japoaneses releases sell a lot more over the seas.
Japan is very relevant. There will be more PS4s, PS5s and Switches sold in Japan than in any other country except the US.

Nautilus

Banned
Me looking at SF 6 numbers:

gordon ramsay facepalm GIF

Absolutely horrendous. Like I have said, I'm going to wait until FF XVI numbers are out, since that game is 9th gen exclusive, and thus should better serve as an indicative for PS5's overall software numbers. But SF 6 was supposed to be a big release. And even if fighting games are not that popular in Japan, these First week SF 6 numbers are Ippon Nichi levels of very niche sales numbers. Absolutely horrendous.

SF 6 is just an early sign of what we all have been seeing and saying these last couple of years: PS5 and Sony software sales are basically dead in Japan.

Not only that, but PS5 hardware sales are DOWN Week over Week. SF 6 somehow had a negative influence over it sales lol. Again, waiting for FF XVI to cement my opinion on this, but we can be more sure of something: Whatever is making PS5 sell in Japan, it ain't the software. But if a game console isn't selling because of its games, then what are people buying it for?

The argument for people scalping the PS5 to sell overseas just gets stronger.

Switch on the other hand, is selling even better this week. Its STILL riding on that Zelda hype train, and somehow is up Week over Week. Mighty impressive from Nintendo. I have said this before, but the Switch is basically garanteed to become the best selling console in Japan.

feynoob

Banned

Absolutely horrendous. Like I have said, I'm going to wait until FF XVI numbers are out, since that game is 9th gen exclusive, and thus should better serve as an indicative for PS5's overall software numbers. But SF 6 was supposed to be a big release. And even if fighting games are not that popular in Japan, these First week SF 6 numbers are Ippon Nichi levels of very niche sales numbers. Absolutely horrendous.

SF 6 is just an early sign of what we all have been seeing and saying these last couple of years: PS5 and Sony software sales are basically dead in Japan.

Not only that, but PS5 hardware sales are DOWN Week over Week. SF 6 somehow had a negative influence over it sales lol. Again, waiting for FF XVI to cement my opinion on this, but we can be more sure of something: Whatever is making PS5 sell in Japan, it ain't the software. But if a game console isn't selling because of its games, then what are people buying it for?

Switch on the other hand, is selling even better this week. Its STILL riding on that Zelda hype train, and somehow is up Week over Week. Mighty impressive from Nintendo. I have said this before, but the Switch is basically garanteed to become the best selling console in Japan.
Capcom has announced that Street Fighter 6 has sold over 1 million units worldwide since its launch about a week ago.17 hours ago
Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Oof85

Have wees ever seen a game likes TOTK single helpedly raise such an old console sales back to #1

This is likes an exclusive GTAV incredibubble

ganon-ganondorf.gif
You say this as if the PS5 outselling the Switch wasn't considered unlikely in Japan.

For the vast majority of the time they've shared that market, Switch has been far and away the bigger seller.
Surely 4 weeks of the reverse happening wasn't enough to make you think that the fortunes of the entire market had flipped upside down?

Woopah

If you thought SFVI was going to drive hardware sales you haven't been paying attention. There is nothing in the charts to justify your double 'absolutely horrendous'.

PS5 hardware sales are holding very very well and SFVI will sell similarly to SFV when digital is factored in.

A few months ago you said you expect PS5 to be at 20k or lower. When did you expect this to happen?
You say this as if the PS5 outselling the Switch wasn't considered unlikely in Japan.

For the vast majority of the time they've shared that market, Switch has been far and away the bigger seller.
Surely 4 weeks of the reverse happening wasn't enough to make you think that the fortunes of the entire market had flipped upside down?
The comment is less applicable to Japan, but TOTK did take Switch back to #1 in Spain, the US and the UK.

Nautilus

Banned
If you thought SFVI was going to drive hardware sales you haven't been paying attention. There is nothing in the charts to justify your double 'absolutely horrendous'.

PS5 hardware sales are holding very very well and SFVI will sell similarly to SFV when digital is factored in.

A few months ago you said you expect PS5 to be at 20k or lower. When did you expect this to happen?

The comment is less applicable to Japan, but TOTK did take Switch back to #1 in Spain, the US and the UK.
What signs were there, pray tell, that SF 6 not only wouldn't drive sales nor would it be able to at least maintain the interest of PS5s in the same level? COMG sugested that SF 6 wouldn't do well, yes. But not this bad. Nor it suggested that it would make PS5 be down this week. So again, what are the signs that it wouldn't at least help the PS5 keep at the same level as the previous weeks?

We don't know what SF 6 sales will be with digital(Even if its a garantee that is has a good split), the same way that we don't know why the PS5 is holding so well when it is clearly not moving software, which *should* be the reason why people buy consoles. You say my assumptions are wrong because I am supposedly not been paying much attention, but then you go on to say that SF 6 should sell as well as SF V based on... what? What signs was your decision based on that I failed to pick up? SF 6 will do fine worldwide, but we are talking about Japan here, and nothing seem to indicate that the game will do well long term there, as the launch numbers seem to imply. So what signs are there that shows that SF V will do better long term in Japan?

And yeah, I expected for the PS5 to be 20k or below by this point. The software numbers seem to point that way. Games sales are basically non existant at this point. So like I said before, there are other factors at play on why PS5 hardware is selling in Japan, which we don't know, and that I haven't taken into account. But I do still believe that these PS5 hardware sales are not sustainable over the long term. Now, without knowing what is this factor at play, hard to say when the hardware numbers will go down. But its not software that it is sustaining it, not alone at least.

Luigi Mario

These Street Fighter 6 numbers aren't all that surprising, especially when Street Fighter V was already only around 45k physical first week.

Last edited:

Luigi Mario

Considering that Street Fighter 6 has already sold over 1 million units (Street Fighter V needed two months to sell that amount), Capcom knew exactly where the majority of this game's sales will be coming from.

Last edited:

Woopah

What signs were there, pray tell, that SF 6 not only wouldn't drive sales nor would it be able to at least maintain the interest of PS5s in the same level? COMG sugested that SF 6 wouldn't do well, yes. But not this bad. Nor it suggested that it would make PS5 be down this week. So again, what are the signs that it wouldn't at least help the PS5 keep at the same level as the previous weeks?

We don't know what SF 6 sales will be with digital(Even if its a garantee that is has a good split), the same way that we don't know why the PS5 is holding so well when it is clearly not moving software, which *should* be the reason why people buy consoles. You say my assumptions are wrong because I am supposedly not been paying much attention, but then you go on to say that SF 6 should sell as well as SF V based on... what? What signs was your decision based on that I failed to pick up? SF 6 will do fine worldwide, but we are talking about Japan here, and nothing seem to indicate that the game will do well long term there, as the launch numbers seem to imply. So what signs are there that shows that SF V will do better long term in Japan?

And yeah, I expected for the PS5 to be 20k or below by this point. The software numbers seem to point that way. Games sales are basically non existant at this point. So like I said before, there are other factors at play on why PS5 hardware is selling in Japan, which we don't know, and that I haven't taken into account. But I do still believe that these PS5 hardware sales are not sustainable over the long term. Now, without knowing what is this factor at play, hard to say when the hardware numbers will go down. But its not software that it is sustaining it, not alone at least.
The signs are that SF is not a system seller. It didn't top the charts in Germamy or the UK either.

PS5 hardware is having the normal week to week hardware changes. Sometimes they have go up and sometimes they go down, same as every other platform. To sell 2,500 less than the week before is normal and has happened to Switch and PS4 all the time.

Street Fighter V sold under 42,000 first week on PS4 and that was exclusive, so why would you expect a cross gen SFVI to have any impact on hardware?
Considering that Street Fighter 6 has already sold over 1 million units (Street Fighter V needed two months to sell that amount), Capcom knew exactly where the majority of this game's sales will be coming from.
From my understanding, fighting game sales tend to be skewed towards the Americas.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

Yes but Zelda raised Switch back to powerhouse numbers and not just Japans but worldwides which is even more impressible

Zelda killer app singlehandedly raised Switch dinosaur back to #1 WW

Saber

Gold Member
Oh Etrian you silly game, you appeared on second.
For a game thats no big deal at all despite its Atlus charm, thats really something.

Fake

Thats what you get when you target your game for the west audience.

Man... thats a really bad number for a japanese franchise as Street Fighter. They really lost in Japan. Depressive.

edit: Lower than SFV with had one single plataform... DUDEEEEE

Street Fighter VI sold 33k (PS4+PS5) so it's retail sales are about 13k less than Street Fighter V's launch:

04./00. [PS4] Street Fighter V # <FTG> (Capcom) {2016.02.18} (¥7.990) - 46.836 / NEW <40-60%>

This is embarrassing.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
The signs are that SF is not a system seller. It didn't top the charts in Germamy or the UK either.

PS5 hardware is having the normal week to week hardware changes. Sometimes they have go up and sometimes they go down, same as every other platform. To sell 2,500 less than the week before is normal and has happened to Switch and PS4 all the time.

Street Fighter V sold under 42,000 first week on PS4 and that was exclusive, so why would you expect a cross gen SFVI to have any impact on hardware?

From my understanding, fighting game sales tend to be skewed towards the Americas.
Then I think we have clear differences on what a system seller is meant to signify. For me a system seller is the effect that TOTK, Splatoon 2 or 3, Pokemon, etc have on the system: They either double or triple your average normal week sales(hardware wise), and most likely also affects the subsequent weeks.

Never expected Street Fighter 6 to be such a system seller, but I expected to be a significant release, in which the hardware sales get a little bump, or at least remain stable at a higher number. ST 6 was meant to be a significant release, or are we downplaying the heavy name nature of Street Fighter now?

Street Fighter V did what it did because it was a game laucnhed in a poor state. For all intends and purposes, ST 6 fixed all of its mistakes, improved in a lot of other areas, and innovated in others. So it had a lot more fanfare, and thus was expected to perform better. I must think that's a logical assumption, because if a game is of higher quality than prior releases, you would expect a higher sales performance, otherwise you simply assume the game underperformed in that region. So I ask again: What signs were there that Street Fighter 6 wasn't going to be a significant release in Japan, and perform as any other niche game from Ippon Nichi or Falcom did? That it wouldn't give a bump in hardware sales? Nothing in the Uk or Germany charts seemed to suggest otherwise.

And you also didn't answer this: So what signs are there that shows that SF VI will do better long term compared to SF V in Japan? You said that, and I quote, "SFVI will sell similarly to SFV when digital is factored in.". What signs are there to prove that?

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Thats what you get when you target your game for the west audience.

Man... thats a really bad number for a japanese franchise as Street Fighter. They really lost in Japan. Depressive.

edit: Lower than SFV with had one single plataform... DUDEEEEE

This is embarrassing.
Honestly, SF 6 did nothing wrong. You know the single biggest mistake Capcom made for it not to be selling well in Japan now?

Not releasing on the system with 90% of the marketshare in Japan right now. In the Nintendo Switch.

You... can't expect your game to move units if you launch the game for less than 10% of your potential audience. And it may be less than that, since there may be a lot of scalping going around.

feynoob

Banned
Capcom confirmed earlier this week that Street Fighter 6 had attracted one million players, and it’s since followed up with confirmation that the critically acclaimed sequel has now sold one million copies. With one million players under its belt, it was always likely the title was close to selling one million copies to consumers anyway, but now we have confirmation.
It basically sold 1m after that. with 1m player base.

Woopah

Then I think we have clear differences on what a system seller is meant to signify. For me a system seller is the effect that TOTK, Splatoon 2 or 3, Pokemon, etc have on the system: They either double or triple your average normal week sales(hardware wise), and most likely also affects the subsequent weeks.

Never expected Street Fighter 6 to be such a system seller, but I expected to be a significant release, in which the hardware sales get a little bump, or at least remain stable at a higher number. ST 6 was meant to be a significant release, or are we downplaying the heavy name nature of Street Fighter now?

Street Fighter V did what it did because it was a game laucnhed in a poor state. For all intends and purposes, ST 6 fixed all of its mistakes, improved in a lot of other areas, and innovated in others. So it had a lot more fanfare, and thus was expected to perform better. I must think that's a logical assumption, because if a game is of higher quality than prior releases, you would expect a higher sales performance, otherwise you simply assume the game underperformed in that region. So I ask again: What signs were there that Street Fighter 6 wasn't going to be a significant release in Japan, and perform as any other niche game from Ippon Nichi or Falcom did? That it wouldn't give a bump in hardware sales? Nothing in the Uk or Germany charts seemed to suggest otherwise.

And you also didn't answer this: So what signs are there that shows that SF VI will do better long term compared to SF V in Japan? You said that, and I quote, "SFVI will sell similarly to SFV when digital is factored in.". What signs are there to prove that?

Maybe system seller is the wrong word, but my point was that games which sell less than 50k retail do not have a noticeable affect on hardware. It would be like expecting Bayonetta 3 to have an impact on Switch hardware sales.

And sorry for not answering the last part. The signs are that PlayStation's digital split is noticeably higher now than it was in 2016, so its likely the first week sales of SFV and SFVI will be broadly similar when that is taken into account (a few thousand different)

Nautilus

Banned
Maybe system seller is the wrong word, but my point was that games which sell less than 50k retail do not have a noticeable affect on hardware. It would be like expecting Bayonetta 3 to have an impact on Switch hardware sales.

And sorry for not answering the last part. The signs are that PlayStation's digital split is noticeably higher now than it was in 2016, so its likely the first week sales of SFV and SFVI will be broadly similar when that is taken into account (a few thousand different)
Except that Bayonetta doesn't have a history of selling tens of million of units in previous entries, while SF completely does, as past Street Fighter games did. Also, differently from Bayonetta, Street Fighter is a premier game in its genre, so some expectation comes with the territory. And SF 6 did not change that spectation.

So I don't understand why the surprise when me and most people expected more out of SF 6 release. Was it really that much to expect the PS5 do 50k this week, especially with the glowing reviews, or at least be a tiny bit higher than last week, like 40k? Don't you assume not only that to be a viable option, but also the logical one, given the assumed importance of a mainline SF entry?

And given that SF 6 is a better game by basically every metric, don't you find reasonable to believe that SF 6 sales numbers, at least the launch ones, to be dissapointing, as a higher quality product should have sold much better?And if they are going to sell broadly similar, isn't it reasonable to also assume that that is dissapointing?

Top Bottom