• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.

saintjules

As much as I hate the blurry performance mode I hate 30fps even more. Would have loved a cleaner image in performance mode or a day 1 PC port (that is actually optimised). But the game is great regardless so far. :)

I see the blurriness in parts and other times not.

8C5ZyhL.jpg

Face looks fine to me.

BlakeofT

I feel like I've been installing this all afternoon. It said it was done copying forever ago, but I guess that was just the part you can play up until you have to have the whole thing installed. Would really like to play at least a little bit past the demo on launch day...

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I'm surprisingly engaged with the open world activities... I really thought I would hate most of it but they're all surprisingly fun. I also love how they connect with each other, like the springs that reveal the location of treasure hunts that provide alchemy recipes that are used in a side quest, or a nest of a very strong optional boss that's also part of a sidequest.

Mentioning that boss: it made me very glad that there are proper unique hunts and not just the battle reports which are basically just beefed up normal monsters.

Sidequests proper also range from okay to very good. Still haven't found a dud between those, as even the most bland ones still take you to a cool part of the world you maybe wouldn't have gone to otherwise.

I'm pleasantly surprised so far.

As much as I loved FFXVI, the only thing the side quests really had going for them were the writing and adding to the lore/feel of the world.

FFVII Rebirth, so far at least, has that aspect where even the mediocre side quests help expand the world/characters and motivations, but also are just more engaging to do with varied objectives, unique bosses/enemies, and some puzzle aspects at times.

It definitely feels like they took the criticisms from FFVII Remake and improved on just about everything, even if I didn't really consider them "negatives" personally.

Really the only criticism I have of the game so far is the odd texture quality. A few patches should fix that up though.

Madflavor

Way too obvious low-resolution textures frequently, especially on cliff-walls.

4KKC3Q0.jpeg

Having played 10+ hours so far and seen everything the game has to offer, the obvious cut corners they made with some of the textures seems like the main trade off as to how we got Part 2 in 4 years. I said it before, but it seems like the dev team wants to give us the whole nine yards with this game, but also release these parts at a reasonable time. I don't think they want to spend 15 - 20 years on remaking FFVII.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Having played 10+ hours so far and seen everything the game has to offer, the obvious cut corners they made with some of the textures seems like the main trade off as to how we got Part 2 in 4 years. I said it before, but it seems like the dev team wants to give us the whole nine yards with this game, but also release these parts at a reasonable time. I don't think they want to spend 15 - 20 years on remaking FFVII.

And, let's be honest, no one is going to care when playing the actual game. I see a low res texture, I go "Huh" and immediately forget because I get to see something insanely awesome, find something gorgeous, or just zone out to the amazing music.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Made it to Chapter 3. It’s been great. Some awesome looking moments. In regards to textures annd so forth, all I can think about is how Square makes the geography what it is. I think about how enjoyable the journey will be. If it’s fun to run around a cliff or get to my destination. I had some memorable moments in Breath of the Wild and we all know how that game looks. It’s all about placement if you ask me.

There’s some areas that just slow you down in Rebirth, but that’s normal? I think back to playing FFV or any retro JRPG and it’s just mountains, desert, and grass.

And, let's be honest, no one is going to care when playing the actual game. I see a low res texture, I go "Huh" and immediately forget because I get to see something insanely awesome, find something gorgeous, or just zone out to the amazing music.
I believe this is the proper way to play the game too! It'd be real sad to be a gamer and pass up on this game (if you like JRPG and the world of FF7) just because you see a low res texture or find the game's performance mode "vaseline-d"

DeaDPo0L84

I believe this is the proper way to play the game too! It'd be real sad to be a gamer and pass up on this game (if you like JRPG and the world of FF7) just because you see a low res texture or find the game's performance mode "vaseline-d"
The only thing that even remotely makes me want to wait is to see when the inevitable PC version will be released. Wife is currently playing it on PS5 so they'll get our money twice regardless.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Yep. Same thing with Elden Ring, which is even worse technically

Gorgeous art goes a long way and I prefer to get these great games sooner rather than later.

You can’t have it all, some prioritization must be made to achieve something like this

Katajx

Was starting to worry about their approach to rebirth and the rearranging of things, but so far near the end of Chapter 4 I’m loving it.

I didn’t expect much from revisiting some of these places, but I’m pleasantly surprised. It’s gonna be a long wait after this for the rest of the cast though 😞

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm loving the game, but man, vacuuming up mako just to use an elevator is such needless padding

Why? The game is already more than 40h long. And then you have to do it again some minutes later.

Same for the "turn valve slowly 5 times". Not 3, not 4, 5 times.

I just cant understand these design choices

How to make a 100 hour game 101.

VII R was full of padded shit like this too. Thankfully, after Neibleheim, there has been less of it so far (still in the Grasslands open-zone tho)

Flabagast

Yeaah I’m really not sure of the Ubisoft open world design with a bazillion icons on the map.

God damn it there are five to six towers in the first region already, which all lead to 3 to 4 repeated activities. And you have six regions like that in the game.

Overall I am having fun so far but I can see this becoming tiring very quickly

kikii

i didnt even noticed any of these "low textures" until ppl started posting screenshots on this topic and that DF one ^^

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Is anyone playing with mini map off? I find it distracting and not much of help but also concerned I might miss some areas not looking in it. Anyone has suggestions? I’m on “tracker” right now.

As for the camera distance I have set it in 2 in exploration and 3 in battles. Different suggestions here accepted too 👀

Go_Ly_Dow

Is anyone playing with mini map off? I find it distracting and not much of help but also concerned I might miss some areas not looking in it. Anyone has suggestions? I’m on “tracker” right now.

As for the camera distance I have set it in 2 in exploration and 3 in battles. Different suggestions here accepted too 👀
I have the NPC chatter box off. As for camera distance, I've kept battle to default and for exploration I've flipped between 1 (ultra close) and 2 (medium) but can't make my mind up.

As for the camera distance I have set it in 2 in exploration and 3 in battles. Different suggestions here accepted too

You're asking for suggestions on something that is highly subjective. I have mine reversed for example, 3 on exploration and 2 for combat. Max distance when exploring is preferable to me while having the camera a bit closer in combat let's me appreciate the spectacle more. Again, highly subjective. Though I usually prefer a cleaner UI with mini-map off I find the tracker less efficient so I've kept it on.

Yeaah I’m really not sure of the Ubisoft open world design with a bazillion icons on the map.

God damn it there are five to six towers in the first region already, which all lead to 3 to 4 repeated activities. And you have six regions like that in the game.

Overall I am having fun so far but I can see this becoming tiring very quickly

This is the reason why I wanna see discussion on the game a month from now.

Bojji

There’s none.

Massive difference, camera motion blur makes 16 much smoother.

This looks more like game was made for PS4 for majority of development, there is no other logical reason for it have such shit, compressed textures worse than remake. Final fantasy games were always aiming for high end graphics but this looks like a turd in places, lighting is bad as well.

Yep. Same thing with Elden Ring, which is even worse technically

Gorgeous art goes a long way and I prefer to get these great games sooner rather than later.

You can’t have it all, some prioritization must be made to achieve something like this

Elden ring has much more consistent texture quality.

zokie

apologies into performance mode as my reasons are -
i cannot interact or "hump" the sand/rocks/grass/water/tree/door textures :messenger_grinning_squinting:

hoping everyone else have fun especially during Chapter 6

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
There are so many spoilers on Youtube, just try to avoid any gaming channel! 😭😭
I guess I'm one of the lucky few that having played the 97 version on possibly every platform it has been released on, no spoilers are going to bother me.

Unfortunate for people who have never played it before - I guess you do your due diligence before ever going online. Doesn't have to be YouTube a person on your friends list accidentally says something or you overhear something at work / school.

SkylineRKR

I was mixed on the demo, though it grow on me. But the demo is a cluttered mess in fact, with lots of chocobo stops etc in a very small vicinity. This isn't a representation of the full game. The scale is far, far bigger and things are further apart. Once you set foot in the open world I wouldn't say its an Oblivion moment but for FF its certainly ground breaking. The world is atmospheric, the OST nostalgic, the NPC's are good and so far the content you can do in it isn't overblown and actually rather fun.

The 'downside' might be that you will pause your travels and stall the main story for many hours.

And I know the story of Remake was divisive, but at least you don't know what the fuck is going to happen despite having played the original a ton. Rebirth's very first minutes are absolutely up in the air.

SkylineRKR

I played about 3 or 4 hours just now. This game absolutely curb stomps FFXVI in terms of content, combat, customization, atmosphere and even OST.

So far i'd say Square couldn't have done it better, and I wasn't even too much of a Remake fan. Okay, Rebirth seems to be too easy as well, easier than Remake in fact. I think its because the added options you have in battle while the enemies are relatively unchanged. But the combat of XVI is shit in comparison.

Zelduh

Having a lot of fun, just finished 100% the grasslands region and moved on to the next region. Not having any graphics or performance issues at all, it's perfect and cinematic in 30 FPS and looks awesome. The game is definitely better than the first part of the remake

Garibaldi

Great OT!

Loving it so far. Kalm alone sold me on how this was gonna be. Then the area outside just, *chef's kiss*.

Loving the new combat additions, field banter, synergy upgrades rtc. The world feels just right for what I'd expect it to be like. I've just about completed the Grasslands region (two of Chadley's POIs to complete). Had a quick scout of the second region before heading back to finish it.

My only issue is the environmental textures are unbelievably inconsistent. To the point where I have to wonder if it was a design decision. Some of the texture work is utterly horrible (pixelated) up close in cutscenes. I'd have thought they would have fixed this since Remake.

It's not spoiling it for me tho. Knocked it outta the park and will be double dipping as soon as the PC release is available on Steam.

They can keep the minigame involving a certain mythical creature who sells you stuff tho. That was shite

Last edited:

Vblad88

As I mentioned in other topic, graphics direction and missteps made me unable to get hooked into the game as Remake did. It is actually the first time in my life when game disappoints me because of graphics - I guess bar was raised to high in 1st remake. Which is sort of crazy because now we have more powerful console. Technology is there, polygon count increase is there, but most of the time lightning and textures are misused terribly - the mountains have a dilemma if they want to look stylized or realistic…

Beside that - slog mechanics of vacuuming and „press to crawl”, „press to turn valve” , passing through narrow space and limping - all in a prologue? It’s almost a meme…

Dunno guys, it seems half baked for Final Fantasy standards. But to think of it, „subsequels” always turned out to be worse than main entries…

Maybe that is my fault, never preordered a game before, I should not have made that exception… thankfully this time preorder came with a discount. No way this is worth 79.99 in current state

Last edited:
I'm digging the story in this than was in Remake. It's dark and engaging.
Played for straight 7 hours yesterday

Great visuals and quality
I think they've improved the fighting animations as well compared to Remake.

buenoblue

Finally ☺️. Played 4 hours last night. Just got to the grass lands as I'm taking my time ☺️. Game is awesome. It looks fantastic in 30fps mode, though I do use Samsung game motion plus which is a life saver for 30fps games on an OLED.

I'm gonna go dark until I finish the game but I already know it's gonna be a masterpiece

See you on the other side 👍

Top Bottom