• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F9 opens to 70 million domestically... when will box office competition really heat up?

Kenpachii

Yes! So do arcades. And coffee shops. I make better coffee at home and it’s cheaper.

While we’re at it what’s the deal with restaurants? And bars? I can do all that at home too. And why would anyone go to a gym? Work out at home for free!

See, it’s important to ME that no one ELSE enjoy these things either.

So, yeah, let them all die out. It would totally be worth making other people miserable.

Sorry mate u like the shit experience a cinema gives you. I hate it. I want movies to be served at the same time in my own home. Not somewhere in a garbage cinema where u gotta go towards, pay a fortune to even watch it and spend half your fucking evening doing so with loud and noisy people and lots of other garbage u gotta deal with.

So many issue's with cinema's.

- sound is way to loud
- screen not in the middle, gotta sit on the sides or waste your fucking life going early into it to get a good spot.
- loud and noisy people next towards you
- food noises everywhere
- mobile phone lights
- straight up talking
- walking infront of you because everybody gotta pee 24/7
- sneezing or other shit u gotta deal with
- garbage chairs
- price is laughable bad, parking here is 7,5 a hour euro. watch a 3 hour movie yea go pay for 4 hours, then 12 euro ticket, then the garbage food u gotta deal with no healthy snacks u can make in your home which is another 10+ bucks.
- god awful amount of time u have to spend to even watch it, driving towards it, parking, go in wait, watch, go out, go home = 4-5 hours gone easily for a dam movie lol.

Look if you like cinema because u want something to do and go out like in a coffeeshop fine by me. U want to use it as a date or social solution or do something with friends fine by me. But having to wait a fucking year to the point u don't even care about the movie anymore because spoilers and youtube video's are all over the internet. It's not even worth it anymore.

It's great you like it, guess lots of people do. I fucking hate it. and a while ago i went again towards the cinema when they first opened up again for a demo. was like fuck it lets go. spended total of 48 bucks. And the movie was god awful to the point i just wanted to do something else. Which again u can do when u are at home, there you are locked in because fuck me i spend 48 on this shit i will watch every single letter on the screen twice over.

Sorry but this shit should have been burried with covid because they will keep doing the same shit they always do.. it's simple a outdated concept.

The same as renting movie on dvd in a shop is dated as hell. Its beyond em how we live in 2021 and we still gotta deal with this shit.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sorry mate u like the shit experience a cinema gives you. I hate it. I want movies to be served at the same time in my own home. Not somewhere in a garbage cinema where u gotta go towards, pay a fortune to even watch it and spend half your fucking evening doing so with loud and noisy people and lots of other garbage u gotta deal with.

- sound is way to loud
- screen not in the middle, gotta sit on the sides or waste your fucking life going early into it to get a good spot.
- food noises everywhere
- mobile phone lights
- straight up talking
- garbage chairs
- price is laughable bad, parking here is 7,5 a hour euro. watch a 3 hour movie yea go pay for 4 hours, then 12 euro ticket, then the garbage food u gotta deal with no healthy snacks u can make in your home which is another 10+ bucks.
- god awful amount of time u have to spend to even watch it, driving towards it, parking, go in wait, watch, go out, go home = 4-5 hours gone easily for a dam movie lol.

Look if you like cinema because u want something to do and go out like in a coffeeshop fine by me. U want to use it as a date or social solution or do something with friends fine by me. But having to wait a fucking year to the point u don't even care about the movie anymore because spoilers and youtube video's are all over the internet. It's not even worth it anymore.

It's great you like it, guess lots of people do. I fucking hate it. and a while ago i went again towards the cinema when they first opened up again for a demo. was like fuck it lets go. spended total of 48 bucks. And the movie was god awful to the point i just wanted to do something else. Which again u can do when u are at home, there you are locked in because fuck me i spend 48 on this shit i will watch every single letter on the screen twice over.

Sorry but this shit should have been burried with covid because they will keep doing the same shit they always do.. it's simple a outdated concept.

The same as renting movie on dvd in a shop is dated as hell. Its beyond em how we live in 2021 and we still gotta deal with this shit.
You just have shitty movie theaters with shitty people. Comfy reclining reserved seats, free parking, excellent sound are the minimum for a theater in my book. You are right about the shitty overpriced food though, although a lot of movie theaters have stepped up in that regard.

CloudNull

Banned
You just have shitty movie theaters with shitty people. Comfy reclining reserved seats, free parking, excellent sound are the minimum for a theater in my book. You are right about the shitty overpriced food though, although a lot of movie theaters have stepped up in that regard.
I know that the popcorn is overpriced but fuck me do they have me trained. I cannot go to the theater without a popcorn and making it at home is not the same.

I am also shocked to realize that many theatres still don't do reserved seating like a flight. That plus the theatres having their recliner chairs has really changed the experience.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
I use to think this way when streaming first came out but no matter how good of a home setup you have it will never compare to the big screen. Add in the social elements that usually come from going to the theatre and it really is an experience that can’t be duplicated.

Sorry my G but "no matter how good?" My at home setup is better than the theater, save for maybe imax. The only movies I go to now are movies I can't wait to see at home. The big difference with streaming is you generally get a much worse bitrate than Blu ray, so since I'm a quality whore, if it's streaming at the same time as it is in theatres, I'll go to the theater. If I can wait, I'll get it on disk. You don't put together a high quality home theater to miss out on lossless audio.

MastaKiiLA

Going to a theater isn't on the menu for me anytime soon. I have a big 4k TV, and a lot of patience. I'll just stream whatever I want. That and I have a few hundred movies in my backlog.

I'll watch F9, but I heard it's a turd. I heard it's a fun turd though, unlike F8, which was just plain painful to watch.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I know that the popcorn is overpriced but fuck me do they have me trained. I cannot go to the theater without a popcorn and making it at home is not the same.

I am also shocked to realize that many theatres still don't do reserved seating like a flight. That plus the theatres having their recliner chairs has really changed the experience.
Until the CDC announcement, popcorn was the COVID tax that you had to pay to be able to remove your mask in the theater as you would be 'eating' the whole time.
Anyway back on topic, I have my seat booked for F9 on Tuesday. Got a feeling a lot of movies are gonna have long legs as there are so few out right now.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned

- sound is way to loud
- food noises everywhere
- mobile phone lights
- straight up talking
- garbage chairs

Wow your life must be horrible. Choices, right? Gawd. I feel so bad that you have to wait 3 months longer to watch a shitty movie at home.

Actually I do kind of agree with you about the loudness. Dunkirk was so bad about that.

But honestly, it’s not hard to find a decent theater and get to know the people there especially if it’s locally owned. They’ll usually accommodate you on a lot of your complaints (except price).

You can do whatever you like with your time and money but I find it odd that you want an entire industry to die because you’re a tiny bit inconvenienced.

And wanting the stuff to come out on streaming at the same time is just dumb. There’s no way streaming services can provide anything big budget for long term without charging $30-40 a month. So if theaters help subsidize that, then you should be okay waiting another few months to rent it. (A year? Really? You won’t even go for a $4 rental? LOL)

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Here in STL you reserve your seats online and they recline, have cup holders and even a tray, and heaters in the chair. Not too bad. Price for food is way out of control. I get it that that is how they make their money but $15 for popcorn is unreasonable.

sol_bad

@Kenpachii's experience that he listed is probably from 20 years ago. LOTR was probably the last film he saw at the cinemas.

I rarely if ever have these issues when I go to the movies.
Maybe research your local cinemas and see what ones have the comfy chairs. I go to the cinemas at minimum 20 times a year and yeah some cinemas have had shit seats, I just keep them in memory and remember not to go back to that cinema. Same with some screens being too dark, retain it in memory and don't return to that specific cinema. If you live an hour away from a cinema though it's understandable if you don't want to go. Sometimes I'll drive 40 minutes to a cinema to watch a movie with my family.

Phones and talking. Do you see movies on the opening weekend or do you wait a month to see it? I have these issues when I wait a few weeks to see a film but not on opening week/end.

Complain to the cinema managers if you are unhappy. Choose a better movie.
It's not dated as hell, as a film love it's one of the best things for me to do. Why would I want to wait 6 weeks to watch a big film in solitude when I can see it on opening weekend with other like minded fans and feed off the high energy from everyone. Laugh and cry with everyone at the same time.

Tschumi

What is F9?

Whatever it is, no film series should go past 3...

Also, they're still releasing films? I thought it was all Netflix and superhero sequels

Karmic Raze

Yes! So do arcades. And coffee shops. I make better coffee at home and it’s cheaper.

While we’re at it what’s the deal with restaurants? And bars? I can do all that at home too. And why would anyone go to a gym? Work out at home for free!

See, it’s important to ME that no one ELSE enjoy these things either.

So, yeah, let them all die out. It would totally be worth making other people miserable.
Hey, I like restaurants!

Sybrix

Seen it… the stupidest crap I’ve seen in a long time

Space?! Street racers in space…. Lol, it’s too stupid for words

Fast 8 was entertaining but still goofy and enjoyable, F9 was was stupid in too many parts which ruined it

I don’t even know who these films are aimed at anymore

Top Bottom