• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F9 opens to 70 million domestically... when will box office competition really heat up?

CloudNull

Banned

This is the highest opening since the pandemic. Seems like there is no where to go besides up from here. I remember the days of debating what movies were going to gross opening weekend or which movie would win the weekend.

Currently we see a small trickle feed of new movies but I wonder when the the box office will get more competitive and have some reflection of what it was. I long for the days of looking over the weekend hauls that each movie did.

I think that come this fall we could really see some movies do pre-pandemic numbers.

Valonquar

Even before the pandemic, movie-going has been a hard sell. People are so used to streaming at home that they act like dickshits at the theater. I have an 80 inch screen and 5.1 surround in a decent sized den. Why pay $20+ to get a diminished experience?

CloudNull

Banned
Even before the pandemic, movie-going has been a hard sell. People are so used to streaming at home that they act like dickshits at the theater. I have an 80 inch screen and 5.1 surround in a decent sized den. Why pay $20+ to get a diminished experience?
I use to think this way when streaming first came out but no matter how good of a home setup you have it will never compare to the big screen. Add in the social elements that usually come from going to the theatre and it really is an experience that can’t be duplicated.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Same ole song and dance from the streaming apologists. Y’all act like going to a movie theater was like surviving a Mad Max movie.

Find a good theater and bring your own snacks and it can be a great time out with your friends or family.

But I guess you can’t jerk it to Lena Dunham in a theater now can you.

Valonquar

I use to think this way when streaming first came out but no matter how good of a home setup you have it will never compare to the big screen. Add in the social elements that usually come from going to the theatre and it really is an experience that can’t be duplicated.
Meh, I have enough room for 8 at my place. We do movie night bi-weekly and have a good time without the overpriced admission, rude strangers, and better food.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Same ole song and dance from the streaming apologists. Y’all act like going to a movie theater was like surviving a Mad Max movie.

Find a good theater and bring your own snacks and it can be a great time out with your friends or family.

But I guess you can’t jerk it to Lena Dunham in a theater now can you.
That isn’t possible at any theater here. You either put up with the shit overpriced theater snacks or endure shaming by the zoomers at the door doing a check on you as if you were bringing in weapons.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
That isn’t possible at any theater here. You either put up with the shit overpriced theater snacks or endure shaming by the zoomers at the door doing a check on you as if you were bringing in weapons.
What the hell theater are you going to? I sneak my own snacks in all the time. Nobody says shit to me.

Full disclosure, we have a great little theater here that I take the fam to for movies (that don’t require the imax type experience) that is still only $6 per ticket and they have $1 popcorn, 1.50 small drink, $2 box candy.

ManaByte

Gold Member
What the hell theater are you going to? I sneak my own snacks in all the time. Nobody says shit to me.

Full disclosure, we have a great little theater here that I take the fam to for movies (that don’t require the imax type experience) that is still only $6 per ticket and they have $1 popcorn, 1.50 small drink, $2 box candy.
Try that with a big chain and you'll be tackled to the ground and beat with a billy club.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

Bay Area, CA. I saw one time a group of people being arrested for making a scene after not being let in for bringing in their snacks. They were bringing in a small pizza box, but still, I am not risking it.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I watched it Friday and snuck in a candy bar. The damn line was taking forever because they decided to sell the tickets at the concession stand and the thing melted in my pocket. I had a tube of chocolate in my pocket the whole time.

The movie was beyond stupid, but also very entertaining.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It won't heat up again until people feel safer again which will take some time obviously.

That or when the next major Marvel franchise releases.

CloudNull

Banned
No I said major.

Black Widow is not a major Marvel franchise. I am not expecting much out of it tbh. Though I would love to be wrong.
Hmmm. I stopped following marvel franshes long ago but I might go out of my way to see this opening weekend just to show there is demand for high profile releases at the box office.

zorg1000

Neo Member
Hopefully it never fully recovers, I prefer day 1 streaming.

To be clear, I don't want theaters to disappear or anything like that but I think the ideal scenario is theater+premier access coexisting.

CloudNull

Banned
Hopefully it never fully recovers, I prefer day 1 streaming.

To be clear, I don't want theaters to disappear or anything like that but I think the ideal scenario is theater+premier access coexisting.
I’m in the same boat here.

I love streaming movies day one that I’m not expecting to be good like Mortal Kombat but movies that are a must see in the theatres like A Quite Place 2 or some big blockbuster should still be able to do well at the box office. This is hopefully the future of movies. Both options should be able to coexist with no issues.

zorg1000

Neo Member
I’m in the same boat here.

I love streaming movies day one that I’m not expecting to be good like Mortal Kombat but movies that are a must see in the theatres like A Quite Place 2 or some big blockbuster should still be able to do well at the box office. This is hopefully the future of movies. Both options should be able to coexist with no issues.
Yep and I know some people complain about the $20-30 fee some are charging but that doesn't bother me.

I can see how that might be alot for someone watching them alone but all it takes is 2-3 people watching and you are down to the average ticket price. For families or groups of friends you could actually be saving a decent amount of money.

On top of that there is the fact that you can rewatch them multiple times. Trolls was $20 for 48 hours and I think my kids watched it like 3-4 times. Raya was $30 and we put it on at least a dozen times before it became free.

I've heard the argument that this model works for family films but not other types and I disagree with that. I could easily see a group of friends getting a case of beer, a couple pizzas and watching something like Fast or Marvel together. People do this all the time for PPV sporting events, I don't see how this is any different.

Max_Po

Banned
I watched it Friday and snuck in a candy bar. The damn line was taking forever because they decided to sell the tickets at the concession stand and the thing melted in my pocket. I had a tube of chocolate in my pocket the whole time.

The movie was beyond stupid, but also very entertaining.

Raaaiiight "tube of chocolate" ... why don't you admit you shitted your pants out of excitement...

This one bored me to tears. If you've seen the last 3 then you've seen this one.

These guys have become superheros at this point. Just end it already.

Last edited:

epicnemesis

I would have watched it but for John cenas CCP cuck up.

Embarrassing. I’m done with Hollywood sucking Pooh’s dick all the time. Any movie funded or kowtowing to the ccp goes on the instant blacklist in my house.

I actually really enjoy the series, it’s just stupid soap opera bs layered on top of over the top action scenes. Gonna suck to sit it out.

KielCasto

I remember when, in just a span of a year or two, the record for the fastest to reach some millions domestic or a billion international kept breaking. I think that was the year when Jurassic World released.

I think that box office will go up and up still. Of course, when people feel safe to go to theatres again or current theatre + streaming release like HBO Max change. I’m willing to bet that most people don’t have a nice home theatre. And something about a reactive crowd in a theatre is fun.

Mattyp

Gold Member

Get a proper home cinema theatre, I’ll never go to the movies again in my life.

I love the Fast Series, but I’ll wait for the webdl.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
cinema theatres need to die out.
Yes! So do arcades. And coffee shops. I make better coffee at home and it’s cheaper.

While we’re at it what’s the deal with restaurants? And bars? I can do all that at home too. And why would anyone go to a gym? Work out at home for free!

See, it’s important to ME that no one ELSE enjoy these things either.

So, yeah, let them all die out. It would totally be worth making other people miserable.

CloudNull

Banned
Box office is doing well

A Quite Place crossed 248 million globally. Movie seems to have some legs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom