• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE | Microsoft plans Starfield launch for PlayStation 5

Yoboman

The more I think of it, the more Jez is probably right on this.

How does it make sense to allow CoD to be 100% multiplatform, and other developers are forced to remain exclusive? And yet these same studios would have to layoff employees if their games don't reach target numbers/performance. That's totally unfair to their other studios.

So in a way, did Microsoft acquiring Activision essentially make them fully commit to third party in some strange twist of fate?
It makes sense if those games were pushing hardware numbers and/or Gamepass subs. But those have stagnated even with the release of Starfield

Nothing in the pipeline is as big as Starfield was supposed to be

XXL

Phil's next T-Shirt
il_fullxfull.2736021420_aq3l.jpg

Last edited:

Freeman76

Damn all those ppl who slated it just cos it wasnt coming to their platform are gna be eating some serious crow while shelling out 60 quid 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Good then the fake narrative that it’s shit will end and people will realize it has the best gameplay of any MP shooter on the market.

Apex Legends players would probably tell you you're wrong, and they'd probably be right.

Starfield was a 7/10 game for me. It is worth playing. It totally ruined the excitement of exploration which was the game's unforgiveable flaw, but it was worth playing. The faction quests were good. I finished it and got 1000 achievement points on PC.

I do hope that they will optimize it to get 60 fps on consoles. That needs to happen.

Bottom line: Starfield missed the mark of being great (or even good) by quite a bit, but it still has some value and will be worth checking out by curious PS fans.

Yeah it would seem overall it's a "fine" game. But "fine" isn't good enough for what was being hyped as the GOTG, or at least GOTY. And it released too close to actual GOTY contenders like Baldur's Gate 3 stealing more or less all its thunder (deservingly so, I'd say).

You can't simply be a "fine" game when released so close to big heavyweights actually meeting or exceeding expectations. That just makes a game like Starfield look even worst by comparison.

Ozriel

M$FT
Of course. Dumb Xbox fans have not bought the game since they played it on Gamepass, so financially the game was very unsuccessful, so in order to make some money game need to be sold on other consoles.

You want exclusives: buy your games. Devs won’t be making games that are not bought, I can’t even comprehend how Xbox fans don’t understand this very simple fact.

- The games are sold on Steam too

- Microsoft WANTS people to play these games on GamePass

- People do not pay for GamePass with bananas. They pay money. Money = Revenue. Confucius say this not rocket science.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Just remember people Microsoft got rid of their department to get their game on retail and we have heard reports that retailers are not restocking their physical Xbox games so whatever does come over to PlayStation will be digital only.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
100% why I backed off hinting at the games that Phil wanted to bring to Playstation I didn't want to get permed

I even sent Evilore a PM saying I was a little aggravated not so much at getting post removed but the message I got from Faust

Oh well I knew if I hung around here long enough it would happen, only took 3 years or so
The only prediction post from this fella which will ever come true and they banned him for it!

N8IRfIV.png

reinking

Gold Member
For MS as a console maker. Might be for the best as they have poor leadership. Xbox One being underpowered, going all it on a rental service, allowing the
Series X to have parity with the PS5 when they could have easily made it stronger, creating the Series S in hopes of funneling into the rental service, etc. Could go on and on.
As a console maker, probably. Looking at the last two generations, that ship has already sailed. Nothing they have tried has gotten the results they want. However, they are about to open the flood gates for gaming revenue. They have left so much money on the table trying to buy their way into being the market leader and now they are about to start making that back.

Isn't putting their games on every device possible the way to dominate gaming subscriptions? Netlfix is on every device, MS wants gamepass to use the same strategy.
I think a lot of people are missing the point.

Every extra Xbox game sold on other platforms is just a net win for MS if this is their multiplatform strategy.

Spiderman 2 cost over $300 million to make, it isn't very sustainable and even Sony know it hence their investment in GaaS.

Beechos

Makes sense, if sales on xbox and pc flatlined release on other platforms. I can see that as their strategy going forward day 1 on xbox and later on other platforms.

Apex is shit compared to the speed of Infinite.

Good shooting mechanics about more than just speed though. Gun heft, recoil, bullet impact, all that stuff. It's at least slightly in Apex's favor.

Overall it'd seem most gamers would agree Apex takes it because that's the game they're playing more of. If not, then it just goes to show how important content in a modern shooter actually is.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I think a lot of people are missing the point.

Every extra Xbox game sold on other platforms is just a net win for MS if this is their multiplatform strategy.

Spiderman 2 cost over $300 million to make, it isn't very sustainable and even Sony know it hence their investment in GaaS.
An investment they just dialed back on long after their 2021 plans.

Sorry, but SonyToo™ ain't savin' shit today! :p

Last edited:

H-I-M

The Xbox division keeps on getting "record" revenues (which means nothing without knowing the actual profits), and yet is being handled like on the verge of bankruptcy.
Something is off.

I wonder how unprofitable it must be and how much money they're losing.
200.gif

ungalo

It's going to be so weird. To see Halo on Playstation.

I really lost my time with Xbox, it's been like 8 years that i had some hope of a comeback and finally some competition for Playstation but that never came. It's a good thing if they officially state it's over.

-Spends 80 billions for Bethesda and Activision to dominate gaming subscriptions.

-Goes 3rd party.

-....HUH?
Makes more sense than

*spends 80 billion dollars*
*removes access to ww famous IPs to a huge part of those game's users, making it much harder to get that money back*

Red5

except those that want Gamepass already have Gamepass.

How do you come to such a definite conclusion? I can see gamepass subs stagnating because Xbox hardware isn't moving, having gamepass on more hardware logically means having a bigger reach.

Given what happened with Cyberpunk, Microsoft has a lot of work to do before this game is in shape to be on Sony’s platform.

Probably why they are pushing updates to the game like a mofo. Saw the latest update change the lighting drastically. And we still have 'different ways of travelling' to look forward too.

An investment they just dialed back on long after their 2021 plans.

Sorry, but SonyToo™ ain't savin' shit today! :p
It's just an example of how expensive game development is today and how the traditional avenue of "put game on shelf, sell game" doesn't hit the same in 2024, but if you have other confirmed dev budgets I could've used as an example instead so you didn't get upset, I'd be open to editing my post.

Nice, I can see Xbox are looking to score another 'most disappointing game of the year award'. I mean, an award is an award, right?

Top Bottom