• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield on Playstation 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamerguy84

Maybe they could announce something in a year or two if it doesn't meet sales expectations and they want to recoup a little money.

We know they have all the money and they don't need it but you never know. The PS version was probably in polish stage when it got cancelled.

But right this moment it's a no go.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Im going to be bold and say YES. As to when? I'd say 2 years.

Why?

I am not remotely convinced that Gamepass subscription counts are going to increase drastically nor do I expect Xbox consoles sales to really start to drastically increase. I just think too much xbox brand damage has been done and people are becoming less interested in subscriptions.

Putting xbox games on PS5 is a quick and easy way to make up for lost revenue.

Sleepwalker

Why doesn’t the PS5 have a proper browser in 2023 is beyond me..
It has a browser but it's hidden behind a few things, the browser has been historically the easiest way to exploit playstation consoles so they hide it on a OS level. To do the current PS5 exploit you have to access the browser, same for PS4.

twilo99

It has a browser but it's hidden behind a few things, the browser has been historically the easiest way to exploit playstation consoles so they hide it on a OS level. To do the current PS5 exploit you have to access the browser, same for PS4.

Well, they need better security then. Having a chromium based browser would make the machine more versatile..

twilo99

I do agree with you, but Sony would rather do away with things sadly.

I think they will eventually figure it out or change their policy on the matter.

I feel like they would block users from accessing any Xbox cloud related services so that you wouldn’t be able to stream the games even if you wanted to anyway.

Unknown?

Why doesn’t the PS5 have a proper browser in 2023 is beyond me..
Exploitation, but it still has it, it just isn't accessible outside of links in messages and in-game. So it would seem it would still be exploitable.

Last edited:

twilo99

If you want to play this game you don’t have to buy any new hardware.. anything you have with a web browser would allow you to stream the game with a GPU subscription.

If I was in the position I would sub for a month or two and see if I like the game before even thinking about buying an Xbox or even building a PC.

If you MUST have hardware I strongly recommend buying a used XSS for around $200 instead of investing $500+ for a brand new X or $1500+ on PC build, which is a completely different conversation of course.

The game plays fine on XSS.

Last edited:

Puscifer

I think I said it before that Starfield was going to be Sony's saving grace if Microsoft decided to actually publish Bethesda games in the future and it's telling that it's not launching with the Xbox version.

The actual game launch in a few days would have to absolutely bomb on every single sales and game pass metric for them to consider it and that's just not looking like it's happening as of now, especially in conjunction with those extra console sales.

Bite the bullet and buy an S or X, or build a PC.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm 50-50 on this one.

On one hand, I think if it's ABK level of value proposition at $70bn, the investors/Satya might pressure Phil to release it's titles everywhere to recoup the costs, but when it's 10x less than that at $7.5Bn for Bethesda, I think Microsoft can play the long investment game with other avenues of revenue streams, like different platforms in Nintendo/PC/Cloud, marketing deals like AMD sponsorship, all while still releasing and updating live service GaaS titles on PlayStation.

On the other hand, I also believe in their long term investment opportunities in Cloud which they're going head first into, they'll release everything everywhere in about half a decade. On PlayStation, they might give an option to play all their 1st party only via cloud (not native) if Sony fully embraces the Xbox Live overlay on top of PSN, which they refuse to now and which Phil has been pretty open about in recent times via interviews.

I think the fact that it's not the console defining game MS hoped it would be (88 is still good) may have opened the door for a port in a couple years. If sales slump and this game doesn't move 20+ million units I think that could be another indicator. Maybe they launch a remaster on PS6 to recoup some of their investment.

Those two things are what I would look for if I was a Sony bro but, that being said probably not going to happen OP.

I personally think it will...eventually. When Starfield becomes total shovelware like Skyrim is now (you can play it on 50 different devices/appliances). My guess is between 2-5 years when all the hype dies down it will be announced for multiple platforms, not just Sony. Basically a GOTY Edition so they can soak up all the remaining cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom