• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield on Playstation 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hudo

If Sony allow Microsoft's GamePass on Playstation ,maybe (which they won't for obvious reasons).

SenkiDala

Honestly I wouldn't say it is impossible. If it was a PS5 exclusive I'd say yeah it'll be locked to PS5/PC because I'd be sustainable, but Xbox... I dunno if the game will be that profitable like this. A version on Switch 2, a version on PS5, would make sense in that way, MS platforms are just not sustainable enough to pass on other platforms especially the most popular of all : the PlayStation.

But that would also make sense to keep it on Xbox, it is one of the only studios that can make people buy Xbox Series. I have seen recently many people that never gave a fuck about Xbox buying one to play Starfield, so...

Embearded

I don't think it will ever come to Playstation, unless MS business plan changes dramatically.

If they release it they are devaluing their own platform. They will get some good money from sales sure, but MS is playing the long game. They are spending billions to put Sony out of business, so i don't see them releasing Starfield or any other Bethesda title on PS.

TrueGrime

There's really 3 pages of discussion asking if an MS, singleplayer first party game is going to be released on a competing platform?

200w.gif

zeldaring

Banned
I don't think it will ever come to Playstation, unless MS business plan changes dramatically.

If they release it they are devaluing their own platform. They will get some good money from sales sure, but MS is playing the long game. They are spending billions to put Sony out of business, so i don't see them releasing Starfield or any other Bethesda title on PS.
Long game ain't really working.

Comandr

I think the answer is simple. Is Starfield going to hit whatever sales goals Microsoft has put forth internally?

Was the juice worth the squeeze?

Many posters have stated that Sony and Nintendo aren’t jumping to put their games on Xbox. Know why? They don’t need to. Sony and Nintendo first parties sell like gangbusters. They move millions upon millions of units. Pokemon SV has sold 22 million and it’s plagued with issues. But it sells. So the rest doesn’t matter

TLOU 2 is at 10 million sales as of a year ago. GOWR 11m. HFW 8.4m. Sony isn’t worried about spreading them out to competing consoles right now because they don’t need to. But they are smart enough to drop them on PC once they’re no longer relevant on their home console to scrape up any remaining sales.

Now if Microsoft sinks an alleged 200-400 million into Starfield and its revenue radically underperforms; perhaps because of or in spite of gamepass, someone at Microsoft is going to be looking for a way to recoup that money.

Maybe Phil sends Sony a nice gift basket with a proposal letter that says when we all play together everyone wins. That’s how you end up with Starfield Special Edition on PS5 with any available dlc and mod support.

With all that said, Bethesda games typically have hilariously long legs. I’m not worried at all for Starfield. Can’t wait for modders to really sink their teeth into the game and make some amazing stuff.

sono

Gold Member
Mass effect took years but did eventually come to.playstation and glorious it was. So a definite maybe

Drizzlehell

Banned
There's really 3 pages of discussion asking if an MS, singleplayer first party game is going to be released on a competing platform?

200w.gif
It's not a MS studio game, though. Bethesda has a long history of multiplatform games that were always on Sony consoles too, and this is the first time when it wasn't. I can see this being more of a timed exclusive that will eventually come to PS5. They're simply in a position now where they don't have to make such promises.

Chukhopops

It's not a MS studio game, though. Bethesda has a long history of multiplatform games that were always on Sony consoles too, and this is the first time when it wasn't. I can see this being more of a timed exclusive that will eventually come to PS5. They're simply in a position now where they don't have to make such promises.
ZeniMax is 100% owned by Microsoft and MS has already cancelled the PS5 versions of games that were in development when the purchase happened.

I think their intention is very clear regarding exclusivity.

Red5

Only way I can see Starfield coming to PS5 is by making GamePass available on Playstation, but that would cannibalize from PS third party software sales.

But I can definitely see a scenario where Sony would accept having GamePass on Playstation on the condition that it only has MS exclusive titles on offer.

NinjaBoiX

If it hasn't happened, it's not going to.

Microsoft looked at the projected Playstation sales and said "nah, fuck it". They're not going back now.
Yup, if they were going to there’s no way they wouldn’t have done it at launch to maximise sales.

Never going to happen.

Vblad88

Gamepass will have it's HBO Max moment eventually. They are getting ready for that with Nvidia/Ubisoft deals, but it seams that license rotation is the future of subscription-based entertainment anyway, So I won't rule it out.

TrueGrime

Oh, I see. This isn't a serious thread.

In that case don't mind me, carry on with your retard man child console tribalism, then.

You mean you're serious? Lmao. How the hell I'm I supposed to take you seriously when you say that it's not an MS studio game. You know who owns Zenimax, right????? Hahahaha.

Drizzlehell

Banned
ZeniMax is 100% owned by Microsoft and MS has already cancelled the PS5 versions of games that were in development when the purchase happened.

I think their intention is very clear regarding exclusivity.
Yeah but it's a bit of a different situation from stuff like Halo or Gears. These were the franchises that were always associated with Xbox and never saw the release on any of the competing platforms. Expecting Halo to come out on PS would be like expecting Zelda to come out on PC. Bethesda, on the other hand, was just poached by MS and like I said, it has a long history of multiplatform games so they have to at least take customer expectations into consideration. It's also the reason why it wouldn't be a brand issue because while releasing something like Halo on competing platform would kinda be seen as diminishing for the Xbox as a console platform, Bethesda doesn't have that kind of brand association. It would only benefit them to make this a timed exclusive because no brand association equals no risk of diminishing your brand, and second release equals more sales.

Unless they just wanna be dicks about the whole thing and force Bethesda to be their poster child, in which case there go Philly's big lofty goals of "wanting gamers to be able to play MS' games anywhere."

SenkiDala

By that logic we should’ve seen Forza, Halo Infinite, HiFi Rush etc. on Ps5 by now.
I would honestly not be surprised if it was at a moment discussed in some meetings.

I mean some MS games are on PS5, Minecraft, some Bethesda games, we will see how it evolves. Sony still releases all updates of Destiny 2 on Xbox and the next Bungie game, Marathon, is coming on Xbox too. Of course it's because they're GaaS games and there's a lot of money to make but honestly a game like Starfield on PS5 would sell AT LEAST, 15M, probably more, that's a lot of money, compared to the little benefit than brings subscriptions like the Gamepass.

TrebleShot

100% yes,
Gamepass is the platform not xbox or windows.

I give it a year before we hear rumblings of gamepass to launch cloud services on PlayStation platforms, of course means sony get a cut but its win win for MS and Sony.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I would never say never. If MS ever get out of the hardware game or just decide to truly bring games to as many gamers as possible, then maybe. I wouldn't bank on it though.

Maybe after ABK goes through and they have a big enough catalogue to support a MS publisher only version of Gamepass for PS. At that point they would be no different for PS than EA or Ubi.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

It's also the reason why it wouldn't be a brand issue because while releasing something like Halo on competing platform would kinda be seen as diminishing for the Xbox as a console platform, Bethesda doesn't have that kind of brand association. It would only benefit them to make this a timed exclusive because no brand association equals no risk of diminishing your brand, and second release equals more sales.
I disagree that it wouldn’t be a brand issue to port Starfield to PS5. You already have every idiot in the world pushing the narrative that this is the last chance for Xbox, the only option to get rid of the first party curse and other nonsense.

Porting Starfield would be a PR disaster and for what? It’s actually the first party game the most likely to be profitable for MS as it is, considering the PC market.

Never gonna happen imo.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I disagree that it wouldn’t be a brand issue to port Starfield to PS5. You already have every idiot in the world pushing the narrative that this is the last chance for Xbox, the only option to get rid of the first party curse and other nonsense.

Porting Starfield would be a PR disaster and for what? It’s actually the first party game the most likely to be profitable for MS as it is, considering the PC market.

Never gonna happen imo.
Could be. I dunno, time will tell. I don't care either way since I'm already playing it on PC but I feel kinda bad for those who are gonna miss out on a great game.

Flutta

Banned
lol don't think PS players are missing out on that turd anyways... i kid i kid :messenger_tears_of_joy:

If we believe what Phil is saying then no.

Either way i'm gonna try it out on PC when the mod community has matured enough.

TxKnight7

Starfield was initial develop with the PlayStation as a platform before MS brought Activision and canceling the PS5 version.

Is final fantasy and street fighter V a sony studios games or did sony built those games? or they just paid some cheque to make them exclusive and cancel other platform versions?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Starfield was initial develop with the PlayStation as a platform before MS brought Activision and canceling the PS5 version.
How ignorant is that? MS bought Bethesda, they are trying to buy Activision. Also talking about cancelling a console version of a game years before release is bonkers. Nothing at that stage is very console specific. It is more like canceling plans to optimize for PS5, not canceling a tangible PS5 version.

feynoob

Banned
I guess some people are still in denial.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I personally think it will...eventually. When Starfield becomes total shovelware like Skyrim is now (you can play it on 50 different devices/appliances). My guess is between 2-5 years when all the hype dies down it will be announced for multiple platforms, not just Sony. Basically a GOTY Edition so they can soak up all the remaining cash.
I was expecting that too, but it really depends on how well it is received by players. It has reviewed well, but not as a must play. If it was legitimately a must play game like Skyrim, then a PS5 port would be a big deal and sell well, if it is good, maybe almost great, but not amazing, then maybe there is more value in keeping it exclusive. Of course I have yet to play it because I will not pay a ransom to play a week early and will not commit to DLC without trying the main game. Maybe it will be better than Skyrim to me. Or maybe the delay is determined by how well it does. 5 years is PS6 / Arguing about when Nintendo will release Switch 3 time frame. 2 years is this gen.

gamer82

i wouldn't rule it out for definte but i doubt antyime soon, if they want to get more money after a few years when most people have had the chance to play it then no point in leaving money on the table.

By that time most people on xbox will no doubt be onto the lastest games anyway , just try it on pc thats what i plan to do. i don't have xbox this gen and rpgs are not normally my thing.

i have limted time gaming these days so i will try game pass first to see if i like it and my 3070 can play it well enough before i decide to buy the digital.

To many games in the backlog and never get the chance to play need to stop buying things before i finish games. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Stuart360

I doubt it to be honest. Halo Infinite had a huge budget and supposedly underperformed but never came to Playstation. Forza Horizon games are near universally loved, but they never came to Playstation.
Besides the sales of Starfield on PC will drawth sales on Xbox and Playstation combined (if it camt to PS obviously).
Its also the kind of game that will probably have steady sales for years, like Fallout 4 and Skyrim.

Maybe if Sony started releasing games on Xbox, like they are doing with PC, but we all know thats not going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom