• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE | Microsoft plans Starfield launch for PlayStation 5

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Not doubting this ends up happening, but I don't buy that XboxERA got a scoop on this because...well...they don't have any credible insiders.

If this were Windows Central, I'd prob believe it more because Jez seems to have some inside track with some people at Microsoft's gaming division. He's basically an advertising mouthpiece for Xbox as a brand (despite mainly playing WOW on PC).
The only reason I'd consider it somewhat valid is because Tom Warren shared it as though it was was real.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I remember someone posting a Hellblade 2 pic saying Just get An Xbox........ (not gonna put you on blast)

Welp.

Holy-Shit-Keegan-Michael-Key.gif

DonF

Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but exclusives and engagement are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Japan where you can become successful by being a good citizen. If you screw someone over in America, you bring hate to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is PR and spin.
What this means is the American public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase more game pass subs, nor will they purchase any of MS games (they weren't anyway). This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but MS has alienated an entire market with this move.
Microsoft, publicly apologize and cancel starfield for ps5 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

icerock

Not doubting this ends up happening, but I don't buy that XboxERA got a scoop on this because...well...they don't have any credible insiders.

If this were Windows Central, I'd prob believe it more because Jez seems to have some inside track with some people at Microsoft's gaming division. He's basically an advertising mouthpiece for Xbox as a brand (despite mainly playing WOW on PC).

I kinda agree. Tom is coping a little bit XboxEra discord and doesn't seem to be fully onboard with Jez saying "all games". However, Tom himself has teased multiple times, that he has heard way more games coming to PS5 than just Hi-fi and SoT. Nick just confirmed that he knew about Starfield port for a while, but didn't want to leak it prevent further melts.

However, if you remember the original discord leak (OEM one), the poster insinuated ports are in the work for existing BGS games, meaning Starfield.

This should be a thread now.

This is all correct as far as I'm concerned.

There is a thread already on it.

Last edited:

XXL

I kinda agree. Tom is coping a little bit XboxEra discord and doesn't seem to be fully onboard with Jez saying "all games". However, Tom himself has teased multiple times, that he has heard way more games coming to PS5 than just Hi-fi and SoT. Nick just confirmed that he knew about Starfield port for a while, but didn't want to leak it prevent further melts.

However, if you remember the original discord leak (OEM one), the poster insinuated ports are in the work for existing BGS games, meaning Starfield.

There is a thread already on it.

Thanks. I missed that.

This should be the last Xbox console.

It’s crazy how badly they failed. Couldn’t make a good exclusive to save their fucking lives. That’s what it boils down to
It's crazy to me that they had the entire core gamer market in the palms of their hands with the 360 and they completely fucked it up. It was literally theirs for the taking and they just had to keep doing what they were doing but they got greedy.

Papa_Wisdom

I’m sorry I cannot and will not accept sonic on a Nintendo console

There will be a Ps2 virtua fighter game over my dead body!

The next Jet set Radio and panzer dragoon is exclusive to this new “Xbox” yeah pass me some of you’ve been smoking buddy!

Sorry I was just having major flashbacks to a really hard time in my life.

200.gif

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It's crazy to me that they had the entire core gamer market in the palms of their hands with the 360 and they completely fucked it up. It was literally theirs for the taking and they just had to keep doing what they were doing but they got greedy.
Nah, once the PS3's price dropped, released banger exclusives, and Sony got their act together, it was clear that the 360 was no longer running away with all of those people on its own. The Xbox One simply sealed the deal and reversed all momentum.

I kinda agree. Tom is coping a little bit XboxEra discord and doesn't seem to be fully onboard with Jez saying "all games".

The more I think of it, the more Jez is probably right on this.

How does it make sense to allow CoD to be 100% multiplatform, and other developers are forced to remain exclusive? And yet these same studios would have to layoff employees if their games don't reach target numbers/performance. That's totally unfair to their other studios.

So in a way, did Microsoft acquiring Activision essentially make them fully commit to third party in some strange twist of fate?

AmuroChan

Honestly, I don't see an issue with this. People who wanted to play Starfield on XBox would've played it already. This gives the game a second life to reach a whole new audience.

ByWatterson

I hope everyone realizes this is about how Gamepass is completely unsustainable more than it is about Xbox's failure as a platform.

Like Xbox is a failure, no doubt. But it failed BECAUSE of Gamepass and what it takes to feed it, not simply because of a boring slate of exclusives.

Microsoft doesn't need Playstation as much as it needs sales. And it can't sell this game on Xbox.

Last edited:
Top Bottom