• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring starting characters.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I want to wield a deadly whip, cast spells, and wear something mysterious and cool looking.
Probably going with Confessor or Prisoner.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I'd love to go Wretch as I usually enjoy building up from nothing as Deprived in Dark Souls. It makes everything you find feel more impactful even if it's a weapon you'd never consider using if you started with a decent broadsword etc.

But it seems that there's a lot of wasted points with the Wretch. I'm guessing Arcane will be a dump stat for the majority of players and, much like Arcane in Bloodborne, it will be a stat for specific builds only. The point spread for Wretch will waste points no matter what build you're thinking about.

I'll definitely go with a quality build for the first run and I recommend that for pretty much any first run through a new From game because it allows you to test drive almost every weapon in the game for future reference if you do a specialized build. This goes double for new players. (Note to newbies - a "quality build" is a term in From games where you spread points across both Strength and Dexterity and use weapons that scale their damage output across both stats instead of one or the other. This allows you to wield the majority of weapons in the game while still having the potential for min-maxing certain weapons).

Seems Vagabond is a no-brainer for quality builds and might just be the de facto best point spread for a lot of melee builds on top of that.

I'd love an option to start with class-specific point distribution but with none of the weapons/armor - a "Wretch/Deprived Mode" if you will.

Might be refreshing to start one of these games with actual armor for a change though.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'd love an option to start with class-specific point distribution but with none of the weapons/armor - a "Wretch/Deprived Mode" if you will.
Hey, you always can drop all your equipment right at the start of the game.

GermanZepp

Ok. im going Astrologer. Heavy magic for occasionally OP long range atacks and a small dagger/sword to make hand to hand combat more challenging.

astrologer_class_elden_ring_wiki_guide_270px.png

CHARACTER STATUS INFORMATION​

The information shown here also reflects changes to your attack, defense, and resistances bestowed by armaments and armor that you have equipped.

VIGOR

Attribute governing HP.
Affects fire and poison resistance.

MIND

Attribute governing FP.
Affects focus-related resistances.

ENDURANCE

Attribute governing Stamina.
Affects physical defense power, robustness and raises maximum equipment load.

STRENGTH

Attribute required to wield heavy armaments.
Boosts attack power of strength-scaling armaments.

DEXTERITY

Attribute required to wield advanced armaments.
Also boosts attack power of dexterity-scaling armaments, reduces casting time of spells, softens fall damage and makes it harder to be knocked off your horse.

INTELLIGENCE

Attribute required to perform glintstone sorceries. Boosts magic damage of intelligence-scaling sorceries and weapons as well as improving magic resistance.

FAITH

Attribute required to perform sacred incantations. Boosts incantations and weapons that scale with Faith.

ARCANE

Attribute governing Discovery.
Affects death resistance and certain sorceries and incantations.

OFFENSIVE STATS​

Offensive Stats provide useful information on the current offensive stats of the player character.

PHYSICAL ATTACK DAMAGE

Displays the default standard damage of the equipment, and how much bonus damage you are gaining from the stats bonuses.

MAGIC ATTACK DAMAGE

Displays the default magical damage of the equipment or spell, and how much bonus damage you are gaining from the stats bonuses.

FIRE ATTACK DAMAGE

Displays the default fire damage of the equipment, and how much bonus damage you are gaining from the stats bonuses.

LIGHTNING ATTACK DAMAGE

Displays the default lightning damage of the equipment, and how much bonus damage you are gaining from the stats bonuses.

HOLY ATTACK DAMAGE

Displays the default holy damage of the equipment, and how much bonus damage you are gaining from the stats bonuses.

CRITICAL ATTACK DAMAGE

Displays the default critical damage of the equipment, and how much bonus damage you are gaining from the stats bonuses.

BASE STATS INFORMATION​

General Stats provide useful information on the current state of the player character.

HP

Determines your total Health.

FP

Determines how many castings of Magic Spells the player can achieve.

STAMINA

Determines how many actions you can take before becoming exhausted.

EQUIP LOAD

Total weight of equipped armaments and armor. Movement slows as load increases. Exceed the rightmost number and movement slows dramatically.

DISCOVERY

Governs likelihood of finding items on the corpses of defeated foes.

MEMORY SLOTS

The number of slots available for memorizing sorceries and incantations.

ATTRIBUTE SCALING INFORMATION​

STR

The degree to which this armament's power or passive effects scale with Strength.

DEX

The degree to which this armament's power or passive effects scale with Dexterity.

INT

The degree to which this armament's power or passive effects scale with Intelligence.

FAI

The degree to which this armament's power or passive effects scale with Faith.

ARC

The degree to which this armament's power or passive effects scale with Arcane.

DEFENSE STATS INFORMATION​

Defense Stats for Elden Ring provide useful information on the current defensive stats of the player character.

IMMUNITY

Your resistance to various Poisons and Blights. The higher the number, the less susceptible you are to poison and rot. Governed by your attributes, as well as armor and additional effects.

ROBUSTNESS

Your resistance to Hemorrhage and Frostbite. The higher the number, the lower your susceptibility. Governed by your attributes, as well as protective gear, and active passive effects.

FOCUS

Your resistance to Sleep and bouts of Madness. The higher the number, the lower your susceptibility. Governed by your attributes, as well as protective gear, and active passive effects.

DEATH

Your resistance to Death. The higher the number, the lower your susceptibility to die. Governed by your attributes, as well as armor and additional effects.

PHYSICAL DEFENSE

Your defense power and damage negation against Standard Physical Attacks. The former is calculated via attributes, while the latter is calculated via defensive gear and active passive effects.

VS STRIKE DEFENSE

Your defense power and damage negation against Striking Physical Attacks. The former is calculated via attributes, while the latter is calculated via defensive gear and active passive effects.

VS SLASH DEFENSE

Your defense power and damage negation against Slashing Physical Attacks. The former is calculated via attributes, while the latter is calculated via defensive gear and active passive effects.

VS PIERCE DEFENSE

Your defense power and damage negation against Piercing Physical Attacks. The former is calculated via attributes, while the latter is calculated via defensive gear and active passive effects.

MAGIC DEFENSE

Your defense power and damage negation against Magical Attacks. The former is calculated via attributes, while the latter is calculated via defensive gear and active passive effects.

FIRE DEFENSE

Your defense power and damage negation against Fire Elemental Attacks. The former is calculated via attributes, while the latter is calculated via defensive gear and active passive effects.

LIGHTNING DEFENSE

Your defense power and damage negation against Lightning Elemental Attacks. The former is calculated via attributes, while the latter is calculated via defensive gear and active passive effects.

HOLY DEFENSE

Your defense power and damage negation against Holy Elemental Attacks. Your body's defense power is determined by your attributes. Damage negation is determined by Armor and additional effects.

EQUIPMENT STATS INFORMATION​

Weapons and Armor Stats provide useful information about the benefits provided by the equipment.

WEIGHT

Weight of the equipment.

VS STRIKE DAMAGE NEGATION

The degree to which incoming Striking Physical Damage is negated.

VS SLASH DAMAGE NEGATION

The degree to which incoming Slashing Physical Damage is negated.

VS PIERCE DAMAGE NEGATION

The degree to which incoming Piercing Physical Damage is negated.

MAGIC DAMAGE NEGATION

The degree to which incoming Magic Damage is negated.

FIRE DAMAGE NEGATION

The degree to which incoming Fire Damage is negated.

LIGHTNING DAMAGE NEGATION

The degree to which incoming Lightning Damage is negated.

HOLY DAMAGE NEGATION

The degree to which incoming Holy Damage is negated.

IMMUNITY RESISTANCE

Armor's capacity to prevent various Poisons and Blights. The higher the number, the less susceptible to poison and rot.

ROBUSTNESS RESISTANCE

Resistance to Hemorrhage and Frostbite. The higher the number, the lower the chance of succumbing to such ailments.

FOCUS RESISTANCE

Resistance to Sleep and bouts of Madness. The higher the number, the lower the chance of succumbing to such ailments.

DEATH RESISTANCE

The resistance your armor offers against Death. The higher the number, the less likely you are to succumb to death from a full death gauge.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I still don't know. Either Prisoner to level up faith as first priority or Confessor to level up magic. Dex melee + defensive spells seems like my ideal way to start so I may go for the latter but the prisoner looks SO DAMN COOL

Majukun

I like dex builds usually, so it's a tossup between warrior, samurai or prisoner
prisoner has the advantage of being also versatile in INT and starting at a lower level..samurai seems more well equipped while warrior is the all rounder with the best starting dex

I changed to WRETCH. A little disturbed by people saying it's on the easy side.

Although their explanation of that, that if you get stuck on a boss you can just go anywhere and fight 10 totally different bosses, makes sense.

bArTl3bY

I typically go for a traditional knight/strength build for my first playthrough, will probably do the same here. Vagabond it shall be. I am interested in the Prisioner and Prophet, though.

BabyYoda

Banned
Playing as prophet, resonates with me for various reasons. One of the reasons is it looks derp and I like starting at or near the bottom gear wise.

I usually start as deprived, but faith looks particularly awesome this time. That would be a second reason.

CeeJay

Full disclosure, I've never played a FromSoft game. Would the Wretch be a stupid starting class for my first time? I like the idea of a clean slate that I can take in whichever direction feels right during the playthrough but, will it be too punishing for a From virgin?

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I wouldn't recommend Wretch as a first time FromSoft game, it isn't even that optimal as you got 10 in every stat but whatever you choose to play in the end you'll always have dump stats. Arcane for instance is mostly useless unless a very specific build, so taking a class with low arcane mean you have extra points in primary stats.
It's easier to choose a style (Strenght melee, Dex melee, ranged, stealth dex, magic spells, faith spells ...) and take a corresponding class.

However while Jack of all trade is not the most efficient, if it's what you want it's still okay, you'll be fine with a few point in the wrong stat no big deal.

Last edited:

lucius

Vagabond seems best to start I will try something else if I get to multiple plays but I played Skyrim like 6+ times I never bothered with a full caster, I like hybrid .

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Full disclosure, I've never played a FromSoft game. Would the Wretch be a stupid starting class for my first time? I like the idea of a clean slate that I can take in whichever direction feels right during the playthrough but, will it be too punishing for a From virgin?
If you have patience, no issue. If you're likely to be frustrated then pick something with stats already assigned & a weapon class that interests you.

FunkMiller

Yeah, I’ll be going Prisoner for that sweet all-rounder feel. This feels like a game that wants you to take advantage of magic and melee combined. Cool headgear too.

Edit: mind you, I do enjoy a quality build though, so maybe vagabond?

Ugh. Decisions, decisions 😂

Last edited:

scydrex

Between prisoner or confessor. Generally i go for a Str melee and shield build but will go different this time. Samurai looks good.

REDRZA MWS

Never went for a magic build before. Any tips would be appreciated just to get started. Is there a build where it’s leans more toward magic, but can still use a decent weapon/shield?

GermanZepp

Never went for a magic build before. Any tips would be appreciated just to get started. Is there a build where it’s leans more toward magic, but can still use a decent weapon/shield?
Im going atrologer. I asume you can use any basic weapon from the begining of the game, BUT you might need to look for in the world (or purchace) the nicest ones that scales magic atributes.

Zimmy68

Never got into a Souls game before.
I want a style with some combat but the ability to conjure up allies or have the enemies fight each other.
Any suggestions?
-------------
Case for Wretch

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Is this game out in the US now? Says not available on the xbox store.

Edit: only the deluxe version available to buy?

Last edited:

GermanZepp

I tell you is harder than I thought. As I said went astrologer. The initial weapons are very weak and the enemies hit hard.

Top Bottom