• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring starting characters.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
How high a resolution? Here's 1080

WUBxLhM.png

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Still not 100% decided, but I think I'll be going vagabond.

sainraja

I wasn't planning on getting Elden Ring but seeing the class types I am a little interested now. Hmm. Maybe I should.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Prisoner seems cool to me. Melee/magic hybrid that starts weak and gets OP later, and has a dope mask. That's probably what I'll go for.

That said I don't play magic builds in Souls, so maybe I just go full hero.

Do we have a comprehensive list of starting equipment and spells?

I'm leaning samurai - stat spread seems comparable to vagabond, and I prefer katana to longswords/halberds. Might go prisoner or confessor if the starting magic is powerful, though, since it's usually easier to find weapons than spells early game.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
At first I was thinking Prisoner was the new deprived, but looks like Wretch has taken that spot.

I'll probably be undecided until in the moment.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'll probably try them all for 10 min and see what seems fun.

I usually go for Bandit. Confessor sounds interesting though. Samurai is obviously pretty cool.

That's true. It looks like the starting class actually does matter a little more in this compared to other FromSoft titles.
Mathematically for most melee builds vagabond or samurai are going to be the best (they have the fewest "wasted" points in int/faith/arcane). Too early to tell what the optimal class for various casters and hybrids is going to be.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Mathematically for most melee classes vagabond or samurai are going to be the best (they have the fewest "wasted" points in int/faith/arcane). Too early to tell what the optimal class for various casters and hybrids is going to be.
I always love going knight with some supporting pyromancies. Do you think picking vagabond would be a good idea this time around if that's my goal?

I always love going knight with some supporting pyromancies. Do you think picking vagabond would be a good idea this time around if that's my goal?
Pyromancies have been folded into miracles this time around, so you'd be looking at putting at least a few points into faith with such a build. Vagabond would be a good choice, or confessor if you want a head start on your casting stats. Personally I would go vagabond though since early game you tend to rely more on melee in these games - we don't know when the bread and butter damaging miracles will even be available yet, usually faith classes just start with some not very useful healing spells.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

I did a bit of dabbling in the network beta so am I assuming correctly that armor isn't that great and that dodging is the way to go compared to other souls games? If that's the case then, I'll probably pick a dex or dex/magic build.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I think I've averaged 3 characters/builds that I complete the game with in Demon's/Dark Souls/Bloodborne ... I'm going to stick with the prophet for the first run, but damn, the prisoner sounds cool, samurai is wild, and I like the look of the confessor. Of course this only impacts the first few hours, but still.

My real goal is to compete the first playthrough completely blind and then I'll plan out a build for the subsequent runs.

puppet GIF

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
People keep talking about what starting class they are going for but what are you BUILDING your character for. I'm torn between Lightning Paladin (no heals, medium-armor and light shield) or Arcane Crusader (magic, heavy armor, giant Two-hander and heavy shield, with defensive arcane magic and only offensive magic being magic infusing - if it is in the game).

R6Rider

Gold Member
Odd how the descriptions talk up Bandit and Samurai as being the best at ranged combat. Bandit says it specializes in ranged attacks, while Samurai says it's the closest to the traditional ranger class which seems odd with the heavy armor. Seems bandit will be good for short bow spamming, while samurai will be better for aimed shots and higher damage.

TintoConCasera

People keep talking about what starting class they are going for but what are you BUILDING your character for. I'm torn between Lightning Paladin (no heals, medium-armor and light shield) or Arcane Crusader (magic, heavy armor, giant Two-hander and heavy shield, with defensive arcane magic and only offensive magic being magic infusing - if it is in the game).
I'll be building for a knight that's able to put his sword on fire, so I'll pick vagabond and put some points into FTH along the way.

Bartski

Gold Member
this is probably well known by now but they changed equipment load from STR to END after looking at feedback from the network test and that's great news IMO, that could lead to a boring STR tank meta in the long run

FlyyGOD

I'll probably start of off as a wretch or a prisoner so I can decide what I what stats I wanna upgrade as I progress in the game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cool classes. Something noticeably different than the usual fighter, sorceress, healer in games.

Even if the abilities are similar to classic classes, at least they look and have different descriptions.

Buggy Loop

In case anyone was wondering, I checked and there's no advantage in number of stat points adjusted to starting level.

LxhaBKR.png

Interesting, so there’s no min/max strategy with wretch (deprived) this time around, and outside of wanting a very specific build in the first 10 levels that is not close to any of the proposed ones, there’s no gain/strategy of picked wretch outside of an added difficulty very early on…

can't decide fred armisen GIF by IFC

Last edited:
Odd how the descriptions talk up Bandit and Samurai as being the best at ranged combat. Bandit says it specializes in ranged attacks, while Samurai says it's the closest to the traditional ranger class which seems odd with the heavy armor. Seems bandit will be good for short bow spamming, while samurai will be better for aimed shots and higher damage.
Bandit seems like a useless class - even if shortbow spam is viable, the class is overinvested in arcane. It'll probably come into its own later once we've discovered this game's arcane-scaling equivalent of Blueblood Sword/Anri's Straight Sword.

Top Bottom