• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring starting characters.

Buggy Loop

Ughnnnn Samurai looks incredible..

Picking a class and character look on the 25th is gonna be..

pf6rc8rn51i81.jpg

Gonna be hard to resist making a melee class, but from what I’ve seen so far, including the crazy cool screenshot from game informer article, magic seems really good in this and is visually stunning.

Ogbert

Taking my standard Souls approach.

100% blind first run. Strength and pancake spam.

I’ll focus on magic second time through.

luffie

Not too sure, but judging from previous Soulsborne games, dex build tend to have the highest damage and best weapons (eg.Rakuyo, Twinblades), and Arcane tend to end up pretty powerful too.

I might want to go astrologer tho, since the magic seems even better this time.

this is probably well known by now but they changed equipment load from STR to END after looking at feedback from the network test and that's great news IMO, that could lead to a boring STR tank meta in the long run

Is that right? Interesting, I’m curious why they even thought of moving it to STR. Seemed like a no brainer for my build, but now I am wondering what’s the purpose of STR if you can go for a DEX build? DEX scaling for damage, access/scaling for bows, and faster casting all tied to a single stat.

Pejo

I usually go dex spellcaster for my first run of a new Souls game, but after reading the descriptions in the OP, I might actually go Prophet this time. Thematically I like what they have going on. My biggest problem with Faith builds in past games is how long it takes to get any offensive spells, but it sounds like this time they get fire/light magic pretty early on? Sounds good to me. Burn the heretics!

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I suck at these games and never know what to choose. I was lttp for souls games and usually read a build guide to decide. I feel like I'm going to make a bad choice in this one. Going in day one. 🥴🤯

DarthPutin

As a weak noob, I'm confused. I want to use magic, I can't start out weak, I'd like to use ranged combat and I also don't want to be defenseless in melee! I need "cheese it" class)) I know I will roll away a lot, running like headless chicken... Right now I'm thinking of trying confessor and grabbing a bow later, or samurai and growing spells later....

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I always go Deprived because starting these games with full armor and a good weapon seems way OP and makes every armor piece and weapon you discover naturally all the more rewarding and gives you a healthy window to decide on build/load out if you didn't plan it from the get-go.

It's really nice to know I won't be penalized points-wise if I go Wretch for Elden Ring as certain Souls games did for Deprived.

You think the nature of an open world game will make starting classes seem less OP this time around?

Seems that if anything the sheer volume of loot to discover would make going Wretch in an open world even more rewarding that going Deprived in a semi-open one.

It's not like I'm opposed to starting off with a good set of armor for Fashion Souls though ...

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
As a weak noob, I'm confused. I want to use magic, I can't start out weak, I'd like to use ranged combat and I also don't want to be defenseless in melee! I need "cheese it" class)) I know I will roll away a lot, running like headless chicken... Right now I'm thinking of trying confessor and grabbing a bow later, or samurai and growing spells later....
You can make a magic based character with melee up close and long range spells, or go the melee bow route. As with most of the Souls game, magic will probably be the easiest overall. You should be fine going magic with sword with almost any starting class.

Rex_DX

Gold Member

Don't sweat it too much. Regardless of what starting class you choose, you can build your character in any way you'd like as you progress. If you're not dead set on min-maxing you've always had a ton of freedom in how you level up and that seems to be even more pronounced in Elden Ring.

draliko

samurai or confessor, but who i want to fool... badass looking samurai for sure for the first run, maybe something similar to a templar for the second

Arthimura

I'm planning to play the beginning of the game with each of the main starting classes and then decide what kind of character I want for my first playthrough.

Usually in Soulsgames I go full "haha big sword goes brr" with a little mix of magic and pyromancy.

This time I'm considering doing a Faith character to change things a little. So I'm considering Prophet for the early access to miracles, or Vagabond to do a hybrid melee/faith character.

DZ_b_EZ

Whatever makes this game easier. Normally I go with a mage type, but I've learned my lesson. Vagabond or Samurai for me, probably.

Hero class seems to have the highest starting stats for combat. surprised many are passing up on that class.

Unless I'm missing something here lol. What am I missing? I'm new to souls games so please be gentle lol

The_hunter

Going Astrologer, I usually go strength, but I want to have a different experience this time around. Going to make a Gandalf build.

We've seen flails and gladiator armor, so the temptation to go strenght is real.

Last edited:
Hero class seems to have the highest starting stats for combat. surprised many are passing up on that class.

Unless I'm missing something here lol. What am I missing? I'm new to souls games so please be gentle lol
Hero's problem is lack of dex, which is useful for a lot of weapons. Vagabond and samurai are more versatile

Bartski

Gold Member
the only thing that makes me second guess the prisoner is that I hate the Estoc, not sure how long will I have to stick to it 'till I find a real weapon.

All starting gifts and character origins have also been revealed btw,

Gotta say I'm really happy for a return of a Pharros Lockstone like mechanic and marking the map on those as I play, this is probably my pick.

SJRB

Gold Member
Whichever class gets me to my Guts build ASAP.

Probably Vagabond, but a dedicated Samurai class is cool as hell too.

People keep talking about what starting class they are going for but what are you BUILDING your character for. I'm torn between Lightning Paladin (no heals, medium-armor and light shield) or Arcane Crusader (magic, heavy armor, giant Two-hander and heavy shield, with defensive arcane magic and only offensive magic being magic infusing - if it is in the game).
Going for Prisoner to try role-playing as Kvothe from the Kingkiller Chronicles.

tumblr_p2ayksPWtO1qk1m72o1_1280.png

I'll need to stack up on dexterity to be adept with katana-like blades. I'm thinking of powerstancing if I can find two lighting uchigatanas.

I'll also dump resources into arcane and intelligence. The aim is to go for lighting, fire, wind, and dragon-based sorceries. Ideally, I would be be able to use the red lighting attack used by the Tree Sentinel seen in the gameplay reveal.

Armor will be fairly light-weight so I can focus on agility for quickstepping + dodge-rolling my way to victory. Gonna be wearing a green cloak.

It's gonna be a magical time bros :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

I’ve always used the standard “Knight” (sword, shield, armor) in all Souls games. I’d LOVE to try a magic build. I’m always afraid that, I mean this is souls, and there are most certainly times you HAVE to melee fight, and I didn’t want some puny armed mage in that scenario. I’m going to try a the full on magic build this time. Can’t wait (if it’s not working after a couple hours there’s always Samurai 😡)

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Either Knight to create spellblade class or Astrologer ,

I'm glad class are still a thing instead of the single character in Sekiro. If Sekiro was supposed to be Tenchu, well Tenchu had 2 or 3 playable character including Tatsumaru. Each with their own assassination animation!

Top Bottom