• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring starting characters.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Have some of the classes from the beta changed? I remember there being a Wolf Knight class.
It's the usual deal with From games: the network tests always have classes that won't be in the final game, in this case the Bloodwolf and the Enchanted Knight.

Reyziak

Have some of the classes from the beta changed? I remember there being a Wolf Knight class.
The only returning classes in the full game are Warrior, Prophet (presumably without beast Claw), and technically Champion since it has the same armor and weapon as the Hero (but most likely without eh dragon breath spell at the start).

The armor description for the Bloody Wolf set clearly marks it as belonging to an NPC, and given that the Network Test for Dark Souls let you play as Solaire, it makes sense. The Enchanted Knight most likely is an enemy type since the Dark Souls NT also let you play as a Black Knight.

FlyyGOD

Hero class seems to have the highest starting stats for combat. surprised many are passing up on that class.

Unless I'm missing something here lol. What am I missing? I'm new to souls games so please be gentle lol
Hero class is perfect for my Berserk(Guts) build. I wanna use a gigantic sword and look like a total badass doing it.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
Either Vagabond - for a strength or quality build - or prisoner for a melee/magic build. The latter only if the helmet is removable and I can exchange the estoc fast enough for something else.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I was freaking shocked to see what looked like an UGS ended up being DEX scaling rather than STR 😳

I’m going to start wretch and go for 2H UGS build, but it looks like dex builds are getting crazy ass swords too.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I was freaking shocked to see what looked like an UGS ended up being DEX scaling rather than STR 😳

I’m going to start wretch and go for 2H UGS build, but it looks like dex builds are getting crazy ass swords too.
Hmmm, really? I hope there is a respec option in the game.

Still deciding but probably Samurai

On one hand maybe just once I will make a spell caster but I see myself getting exploded into oblivion as the first time I wont know the mobs.
I was going to do that wolf knight but I guess thats all bullshit
**so its back to my usual dex character with bow so I can cheese things from far away.

Sadly Bloodborne continues to be the only souls game that lets you start with a whip-type weapon(threaded cane). Looks like I'll have to go searching around for the Belmont build again.

6bcd20cdac64d86ea0e83e71ac4ca115.jpg

Bartski

Gold Member
I'm starting to second guess the Prisoner. Thinking of Confessor because I hate the Prisoner's starting weapon and I have a feeling that faith-based sorcery in this game could be where the coolest weird shit will be at, magic that is not about shooting projectiles but all of the tactical spells...

Samurai and Vagabond look way too cool and would probably make me ignore early game pickups, so no.

The struggle is real.

Buggy Loop

I might go for Wretch. I like the clean slate and having to struggle at the start.

The starting classes with equipment are just too cool looking honestly, they look like they have end game gear straight out of the beginning. I have a feeling if I pick anything else than Wretch that I’ll be wearing starter gear for like 3/4 of the game, and drops will have less impact.

TheDude108

The starting classes with equipment are just too cool looking honestly, they look like they have end game gear straight out of the beginning. I have a feeling if I pick anything else than Wretch that I’ll be wearing starter gear for like 3/4 of the game, and drops will have less impact.

I'm really tempted to try Wretch too. I've never played the class in any FromSoft games, but I too always end up with the same equipment that I started with until basically the end of the game. The time feels right.

tommib

Word. I want to get my ass kicked while trying to get a decent armour and a magic catalyst. I want the survival horror experience for a couple of hours.

Buggy Loop

I'm really tempted to try Wretch too. I've never played the class in any FromSoft games, but I too always end up with the same equipment that I started with until basically the end of the game. The time feels right.

The first 10 levels fly by so on a stat basis, it’s not difficult for long.

But the experience of exploring, opening a chest and perhaps get an item that helps you immensely? Or worthless and you despair even longer? Nothing besides wretch can do it.

First run for sure is wretch for me, as further play throughs when you know where the items are is less impactful.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of Prisoner, with the right stat investments it could be mega OP late game. Also that armour is cool as hell.

EDIT: Actually changed my mind, Hero for the pure STR duel wielding builds I always go for on my first run in FROM games, then second run a pure faith/magic build with one of the magic based classes and THEN Prisoner for my third build to keep things interesting.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I never understood going sword and board in the Souls games to be honest. I never play with a shield, unless I need to parry some mobs in a specific area.
How are you supposed to block without a shield? :p

I always do a playthrough (usually the first one) full armor clad and shield. Not a lot of rolling but still gotta manage your stamina.

How are you supposed to block without a shield? :p

I always do a playthrough (usually the first one) full armor clad and shield. Not a lot of rolling but still gotta manage your stamina.
I just don't block ever in any Souls games. I dodge my way through and kill everything in sight. At least it's how I always played them since Demons Souls. Shields always felt weird to me in Souls games, they make more sense to the enemy than the player I think or am I crazy?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I just don't block ever in any Souls games. I dodge my way through and kill everything in sight. At least it's how I always played them since Demons Souls. Shields always felt weird to me in Souls games, they make more sense to the enemy than the play I think or am I crazy?
And I never played one without blocking.

Cool thing about those games, tons of ways to approach and enjoy them. :)

TintoConCasera

Yeah, Souls does that really well. I never play casters either kekw.
Me neither, only buffs from pyromancies.

Tried a STR/FTH build in DS2 but got bored of that game. Might try that build again for Elden Ring, would love to have something more versatile this time around.

TintoConCasera

I only started to risk not blocking after Bloodborne.

Shields all the way and they were a lifesaver back in 2009. Can’t imagine flamelurker without the spider shield. The games felt designed for shield handling.
Yep, DS3 felt much more agile and Bloodborne-like when it came to dodging, even when wearing armor. I kinda miss the more restrictive rolls from the first games, but I guess that was a change for the best since it allows for more varied play styles.

Bartski

Gold Member
In terms of relying on shields, defense, and parry, playing a lot of Bloodborne changed how I play Dark Souls, and playing a lot of Sekiro changed how I play Bloodborne, can't wait to see how it all comes together here.

Zug

Going blind for the first run.
Will probably play a two handed polearm character, with a pinch of utility magic and healing.
If I follow the Souls logic, it'll be something like a quality build with a bit of faith and int, basically all stats will be usefull to an extent.
Wretch it is !

Top Bottom