• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

DelireMan7

Looks like rushing for Ranni quest with a magic build was not the best idea. The dragon at the end is resistant to magic damage. I switch as much as I can to boost my physical damage but it's still challenging.

Any available to help in 1h/1h30 in PS5?
Finally beat it after I remember the existence of great runes. Godrick's gave me extra survivability to prevent all the one shot.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

To use spells, you have to equip them in your Spell slots. There will be a menu at the Sites of grace. If you started as a samurai, you don't have spell immediately. You should fine them or buy them at trainers.
You can find one at the Waypoint ruins here :
wsda4uk.jpg

You'll need to meet the stats requirement for spells to be able to use it. For Sorcery it's usually Intelligence.

Then there is incancations, for which you need a seal to cast and usually need Faith but there is different schools which have different Stats requirements.

So basically :
  • Equip the spell you want in your spell slots at a site of grace.
  • Use a staff to cast sorcery or a seal to cast incantation.
Also if you find your damage too low, level up the stats which scale with your weapons. As a samurai you have a katana and a longbow at first which scale with Dexterity.
In addition, weapons upgrade is very important for upping your damage.
Thanks this has helped a lot.

saintjules

Maybe some heavy sidechain / ducking in the earlier parts of the vid but it's cool, these renditions in FL Studio

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
The thread I wrote this for got locked so I thought I'd put it here.

I don't fully understand the love for Elden Ring and how people say its better than a lot of open world games when it suffers from a lot of the sames issues,mostly empty world and being way too long. I enjoyed my time with it but enjoyed it a lot less as it went on. Game is also the least challenging of the Souls games I've played,area and boss wise,they're all pretty easy. With the the exception of Malenia but then again when the only hard boss in your game is the one that has been proven to be actually broken and not follow the rules of the game then you fucked up.
Go play Botw, Assassin Creed and RDR2 etc...
Then cone back and say ER has a mostly empty world with nothing going on!

Moonjt9

Just got the platinum trophy for the second time. First on ps5 and now on ps4. 49hours 50 mins. Much faster than my 120 something hours on the first plat.

This game remains so amazing. I did this run with the trusty greatsword colossal weapon and it slapped the shit out of everything. The damage was nuts and the stagger was off the charts. Staggering Elden Beast was a highlight for sure. Lions claw is the best ash!

11/10 masterpiece.

Finally put a good session on this last night from 4pm till 2:30 am haven't done that in a while lol.

Loved it the enemy/boss variety is off the charts and the world building is superb. Going through Limgrave trying to find everything beat the mini bosses etc.

High point was the duo demibeasts and there minons. I summoned the npc and my wolf bros and it was absolute brawl lol.

Low point was the tree sential I defeated him on horse took ages to beat him. Wasn't satisfying difficulty the environment kept getting in the way and the slope made it difficult to read his attacks. The dragon was conversely really fun to fight on horseback.

Anyway amazing game gonna be occupied for a while!

skneogaf

Waiting for the ray tracing update to start new game plus is killing me!

I may redo my character to look like a girl to wear some of the female clothing and try a more agile play style.

Also staying away from summons unless there are two bosses to fight.

I also refused to assassinate anyone so I missed a few things to collect.

Hopefully we'll hear about the ray tracing update soon!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

While much of Elden Ring initially would seem to focus on the Erdtree and Golden Order, the Academy of Raya Lucaria is just as major of a faction to the overall story and lore of Elden Ring. From Raya Lucaria's founding astrologers to Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon, sorcerers from Caria and Sellen have had a major impact on the history of the Lands Between. Today, we'll focus on Rennala and the Academy of Raya Lucaria.

Today, we’ll discuss a prodigy who would become a Queen and a school influenced by the stars. It all began with those who would look up at the stars above.“ Astrologers, who preceded the sorcerers, established themselves in mountaintops that nearly touched the sky, and considered the Fire Giants their neighbors.”

We can find remnants of the Astrologers looking out at the stars all over the Lands Between, via crescent bowl shaped monuments or, perhaps moondials setup on mountains and cliffsides that collect Starlight Shards.

While I’m not certain of the exact purpose of these, one is found on an altar in the Royal Moongazing Grounds of Caria Manor - indicating that it was incredibly important to astrologers. Considering they do look so similar to Sun Dials, it could be that these served a similar purpose… but for the moon. As Starlight Shards are regularly found in these, perhaps they were used for that very purpose.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i really dont know if i should get this on pc/steamdeck or ps5
doesn't really matter.

some will tell you to avoid PC because of performance issues and hackers but it's not an issue. there is some frame drops early on but nothing crazy. i think in the 110 hours i played only once did the game freeze for a split second and it wasn't during a fight. as for hackers, well... i suppose if you want to play a lot of PvP you might run into one but if you just want to co-op for bosses there's nothing to worry about.

Urban

Thanks 🤝 Hmm I think I’ll put my foolish ambitions to rest, for now, might return later.
qH4XxfW.jpg

Do you have bloodhound step? just put it on your left hand and spam it. you are so fast with it and you can easy pass trough the lava

but you dont have iframes while using it so the Charoit still kills you

Fredrik

doesn't really matter.

some will tell you to avoid PC because of performance issues and hackers but it's not an issue. there is some frame drops early on but nothing crazy. i think in the 110 hours i played only once did the game freeze for a split second and it wasn't during a fight. as for hackers, well... i suppose if you want to play a lot of PvP you might run into one but if you just want to co-op for bosses there's nothing to worry about.
I still get the rare freeze sometimes but otherwise it’s 60fps. Also plays well enough on Steam Deck.

Another couple of idle thoughts.

I love that's there's level design to the open world. A lot of open worlds you can go in any direction in 360 degrees with very little blocking your path. The exploration in those games gets very mindless I.e. "Jusy pressing up"

Elden ring restricts the player through clever use of cliff sides and water etc.( I wish you didn't die by falling through the water it feels really silly if FROM needs to kills the player they could get more creative).

Your thinking alot more about where your going and how your gonna get there. No doubt FROM takes advantage of this to push the player into more interesting content.

On a different note which silly asshat throught it was a good idea to have gesture with motion control and triangle😂.

You can turn it off but at the beginning of the game I was constantly waving instead of picking up items😅.Classic FromSoftware oversite I guess I move my hands alot more than i thought while playing.

Fredrik

i hate those grave dungeons. i done the first one and then another but after that i gave up.
Got quite far but I took my runes and managed to go back the start and got a level up instead. Too many instadeaths. The armour set you can get looks cool though.

Tomeru

After a couple hundred of hours I can say Im done with the game for now, be back for dlc for sure.

I dunno what to think about the game now. It was the best game from made (and still is), but there are many things Ive grown to dislike (for a miyazaki souls game). I miss that tightness of dark souls 3 and 1, and while they most deffinitely did the whole "veriaty" aspect better than dark souls 2 - it being an open world is not helping with replaybility for me. The legacy dungeons are also somewhat uninspired when compaing to dark souls series. I dunno, honeymoon period with the game was some of the best I ever had, but the effect seems to have worn off.

Balance is still a joke, veriaty is still a joke, some of the ashes of war are absolutely a joke. This is one of the issues I have with the game - there is more redundant things in the game than ever before. The crafting has some really good things to make, but the list is so small that they made tons of other stuff for no other reason than to blow it up. I just press pick up as I go around on reflex. The state of some weapon schools is just bad compared to previous entries, too...

Man I don't know. I just cant pick it back up for ng+4, cant be bothered with pvp (that was 1000% better and balanced in ds3)... The platinum was also the easiest in the series. As a souls veteran, I like what they did but can't help feeling that it was much cohesive before.

Still goty for now.

I almost beat the final boss on the first try. His health was so low I thought I killed him because you couldn’t see the red part of the health bar and he ended up killing me.3 hours later I’m still stuck on him and can’t figure out what the hell I did to almost beat him the first try.
I had a very similar experience with Malenia. After that first run I thought, "this will be easy, what was all the complaining about". The next couple hours I was cursing her name.

DryvBy

A friend and I were going to play this morning. He couldn't join me and I couldn't join him. Why does the multiplayer do this without any reasoning? It's the one downfall of the game.

Did castle Morne and the surrounding area. The landscape looks amazingly epic and majestic. Standouts are Castle Morne and the walking Bell tower. Castle Morne looked so big and intimidating and then you can go and explore it! Why can't other open world games be similar!?

At level 32 that high enough to tackle Margit? I intend to throw everything at him, spells summons etc. None of this melee only nonsense 😄

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Those dual atlas knights (you know the one with the spear) can lick my sweaty asscrack

I'll return at a later date

Currently doing that (secret) village section with those turtleneck looking salamanders

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Can someone please map mark those sleeping albaurics for me to farm? Google and youtube are being assholes.

That bird workd as well I guess

Just need like 20 runes

🦕💗🦕

Fredrik

What’s the easiest boss for another great rune?
Killed the tree sentinel outside the capital today, so proud of myself, went inside and then I’m blocked by a door saying I need more great runes.
Edit: went with Ranni

Last edited:
Beat Malenia at my wits end, only boss so far that got me that old feeling of beating a impossibly hard boss that I use to get a lot in a souls game. Tried a bunch of cheese weapon arts and strategies but what ended up working was my regular Grafted Blade Greatsword that I used most of the game.

Last edited:

Fredrik

yz1jeCZ.jpg
😤
Finished the fight later but too many boss fights end this way for me, I’m starting to think it’s programmed, higher difficulty when the health bar is almost depleted or something.

Fredrik

This game has some truly massive areas, went to the capital, woah 😳

Now that Starfield is delayed I hope this means ER can win all the GOTY awards, it deserves it and so does FROM, it’s a masterpiece even for someone like me who probably won’t ever reach the end, I’m enjoying the journey more than just about any game I can think of.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

So I spend almost all night trying to beat (endgame boss)Elden Beast... I couldn't do it. On my first run, it was really painful. And this second one confirms it. You just run from one side to the other in this massive arena. The lock on makes the camera go crazy, and when in melee range you can't really see what the boss is doing. Oh ! and this beast is immune to all status effect and resistant to almost all type of damage. The game wants you to switch to pure physical so my magic swordsman build has a hard time. For me the WORST boss of the whole Soulsborne franchise. No contest on that. A shame it's the final boss. It will always taint my ending with a bad taste in my mouth.

But I also confirm that (Endgame boss)Godfrey, the first Elden lord is probably the best boss of the whole Soulsborne. Badass design, challenging, clear pattern with opening. The second phase might be a bit too brutal with little opening but he has points for the style.

(Endgame boss)Radagon is a pretty good boss too. Also on the top of Soulsborne bosses. Music, design and a pretty clean fight. Shame it's tied to that freaking beast fight because in the end, he's becoming a chore to do...

G-DannY

So I spend almost all night trying to beat (endgame boss)Elden Beast... I couldn't do it. On my first run, it was really painful. And this second one confirms it. You just run from one side to the other in this massive arena. The lock on makes the camera go crazy, and when in melee range you can't really see what the boss is doing. Oh ! and this beast is immune to all status effect and resistant to almost all type of damage. The game wants you to switch to pure physical so my magic swordsman build has a hard time. For me the WORST boss of the whole Soulsborne franchise. No contest on that. A shame it's the final boss. It will always taint my ending with a bad taste in my mouth.

But I also confirm that (Endgame boss)Godfrey, the first Elden lord is probably the best boss of the whole Soulsborne. Badass design, challenging, clear pattern with opening. The second phase might be a bit too brutal with little opening but he has points for the style.

(Endgame boss)Radagon is a pretty good boss too. Also on the top of Soulsborne bosses. Music, design and a pretty clean fight. Shame it's tied to that freaking beast fight because in the end, he's becoming a chore to do...

Blackflame ball and Blackflame tornado AoW

DelireMan7

Blackflame ball and Blackflame tornado AoW
It would required to change my build and I am reluctant to that.

But I know Elden Ring is designed around that. Something I do not really appreciate actually, I prefer the Dark Souls approach where the game allows you to have a fix build . But thanks. I'll try to find someone to help or upgrade the Mimic tears. I'll try Black flame eventually if I can't get it.

Cyborg

Guys in the Elphael, Brace Of The Haligtree there are three Crystalians just casually hanging in a dark room. What's up with this nonsense? I just can't beat them. I do very little damage with my bleed build. It is even so bad that I and my mimic get killed!
Do these bastards have any weaknesses? I just can't seem to break their armor.

Pejo

Guys in the Elphael, Brace Of The Haligtree there are three Crystalians just casually hanging in a dark room. What's up with this nonsense? I just can't beat them. I do very little damage with my bleed build. It is even so bad that I and my mimic get killed!
Do these bastards have any weaknesses? I just can't seem to break their armor.
You have to use striking damage. It eventually "breaks' their armor and then they take normal damage. I play a spellblade so I use Gavel of Haima (a spell).

Top Bottom