• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

jaysius

Banned
I guess my time played and relative low lvl. Come down to

#1 Blindy exploring
#2 Mostly under influence
#3 Thua having a forgetful and disjointed experience

Sure, I met some walls but nothing to severe.

My initial character was a prisoner because spell sword sounded dope. I've always played melee builds so I wanted something else... I quickly found the Meteorite Staff (one of the few times I googled for a decent staff because my magic damage output was abysmal) and choose to go 80% Mage 20% Melee.

I heard magic got better later on so I stuck with it but my playstyle is more aggressive and like to hack and slash with magic for support (flying assholes, etc)

I've been eyeing ultra swords, hammers and bleed weapons

These are some pics I took (I also have pics of map progression if needed) (and all my weapons, mats, etc lol I went all out)
uztoghP.jpg
nLUbF1z.jpg

nsWDfzM.jpg
9IxoUf9.jpg

Btw I've never grinded

I'm not the best at balancing Elden Scroll characters, but you'll need more Mind to have a viable chance casting magic spells more often. Hopefully someone else can help figure it out for you.

Moonveil was OP but it got slightly nerfed in a patch.

If you're close to leveling up, it helps to grind a little to get that extra nudge to a level.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm not the best at balancing Elden Scroll characters, but you'll need more Mind to have a viable chance casting magic spells more often. Hopefully someone else can help figure it out for you.

Moonveil was OP but it got slightly nerfed in a patch.

If you're close to leveling up, it helps to grind a little to get that extra nudge to a level.

I prefer Skyrim 🤡

I have so much larvae tears so maybe go for strength and Arcane with a bit of Faith?

Thanks for your response mate

In regards to more mind and such.. I notice I'm just to aggressive for a mage (perhaps)

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I prefer Skyrim 🤡

I have so much larvae tears so maybe go for strength and Arcane with a bit of Faith?

Thanks for your response mate

In regards to more mind and such.. I notice I'm just to aggressive for a mage (perhaps)
My character was a Faith Dex mostly build, bosses were tougher but exploration was fun, Faith has some decent defense buffs mid-game.

I used a sword that shot free projectiles the Frozen Needle for a little bit, it's not a great weapon, but the free projectiles gives you distance from baddies, which is nice.

Maybe try a shield user with a good sword, shields are pretty crazy in this game. Later switch back to magic when you get more spells and levels. Late late in the game there are areas that practically give you levels with minimal grinding.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
For new page (first time doing this lol)

I should use more Google

PvLXV3Q.jpg

BotW all.over again 🙈

There's this elevator with a contraption that doenst work in that freaky volcano esque village (with all those long neck salamanders) church where you fight the bulky white monk.. No clue.. Killed the boss tho. Alao searching for that weird daughter that first appeared as lizard

Are you serious? You have 257 hours into the game and are only that far and only level 100? I mean the game is hard, but this is just saddism, keep up the push though. I hope it gets easier for you somehow, what kind of build do you have? It doesn't look like it's working.

Sorry I didn't mean to come off as a dick, it's just time for an intervention with that many hours and that little progress the game can't be very fun, the game should be fun though.

No need to explain at all, I hope sharing your build here when you have time lets some people steer you in a better direction possibly making the game more fun for you.

I guess my time played and relative low lvl. Come down to

#1 Blindy exploring
#2 Mostly under influence
#3 Thua having a forgetful and disjointed experience

Sure, I met some walls but nothing to severe.

My initial character was a prisoner because spell sword sounded dope. I've always played melee builds so I wanted something else... I quickly found the Meteorite Staff (one of the few times I googled for a decent staff because my magic damage output was abysmal) and choose to go 80% Mage 20% Melee.

I heard magic got better later on so I stuck with it but my playstyle is more aggressive and like to hack and slash with magic for support (flying assholes, etc) And magic solely even with that talisman does shit damage)

I've been eyeing ultra swords, hammers and bleed weapons

These are some pics I took (I also have pics of map progression if needed) (and all my weapons, mats, etc lol I went all out)
uztoghP.jpg
nLUbF1z.jpg

nsWDfzM.jpg
9IxoUf9.jpg

Btw I've never grinded

My character was a Faith Dex mostly build, things were tough.

Maybe try a shield user with a good sword, shields are pretty crazy in this game. Later switch back to magic when you get more spells and levels. Late late in the game there are areas that practically give you levels with minimal grinding.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Thanks man.

My playstyle + advice = win

Also, and that's on me; I don't do research or look up tactics etc. Just go with my (beer) gut So forgive my basic questions and general lack of knowledge <3

Last edited:
I can feel my Astrologer ever so slowly getting more powerful. I 'think' I have been leveling up correctly. Took me a while to figure out that Runes were currency in this world.
Got my Astral Wolfies that act like tanks and am able to take down at least one bigger foe.
I need to go back to the coast where I saw someone trading a bow weapon to mix up the combat as I've been spamming the Pebble Spell exclusively. I hope new spells show up eventually.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I can feel my Astrologer ever so slowly getting more powerful. I 'think' I have been leveling up correctly. Took me a while to figure out that Runes were currency in this world.
Got my Astral Wolfies that act like tanks and am able to take down at least one bigger foe.
I need to go back to the coast where I saw someone trading a bow weapon to mix up the combat as I've been spamming the Pebble Spell exclusively. I hope new spells show up eventually.

For sure, keep going on this grand adventure (that sounded so dorky)

I just finished Elden Ring for the fourth time. This time I only did what was essential. Skipped most of the side content.
My once samurai turned into a magic samurai and then into an arcane samurai. Bleed builds are ridiculously OP. Level 254. Could have gone higher, but didn't feel it was necessary.

Completed all achievements. I think it's finally time to play something else.

Bojji

Finished the game, saw two endings:

9RjKDFR.jpg
LB6x3AO.jpg

What a fucking amazing game, now I don't know what to play... everything feels weak, had he same feeling after Bloodborne and Witcher 3.

This moment blew my mind. I didn't know anything about it. I took this lift. Then I thought "It a really long ride, I am going very deep" then I saw the purple "night sky" and my brain went crazy.

Yes and no I would say. Exploring Limgrave and then moving to the west seems the natural progression the games wants you to do.
But Caelid (the rot region) is weird in term on scaling (in my opinion). It remains a nightmare for quite a bit of the game. Especially a specific region of it.
Ah okay yet to really explore the west yet. Its really good design either way it keeps the player focused on exploring one area before moving on and not getting overwhelmed with to much to do. It's a good organic barrier to the player that doesn't feel artificial. Death Stranding was good at doing this as well although it did it with wildly different mechanics.

Got transported to the death root guy last night and stayed up way too long trying to cheese the gargoyle😄. Finally got him and got to level up 5 points.

And there are many more areas as big as this castle or even bigger, most of them have top notch design and art too. From really outdid themselves, game is massive but nothing feels copy paste like in AC games for example (outside of dungeons and mines). Game is technicall mess on most platforms but from pure gameplay and game design point of view now I think 10\10 reviews were correct.
What's really cool is how seamlessly its integrated into the open world. It really gives a new meaning to if you can see it you can go there we have all herd before.

Like I mentioned before finally geting to walk on the giant archway stretching across limgrave felt awesome. The fact that I had to fight my way up there through level design that made sense made it all the better.

If I could just climb up it right at the start like in Assassin's Creed I doubt it would have had the same impact.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

This video will show you numerous different routes that can earn you thousands of runes quickly so that you can level up. With the routes in this video, you will be able to farm runes as fast as you could need so that you max out your character skills as fast as possible.

00:00 - Intro
00:31 - Stormhill Giants Rune Route (1K Runes per kill)
02:05 - Greyoll - Preparation
03:15 - Greyoll - Travelling to Greyoll
04:46 - Ancient Dragon Greyoll (100K Runes at once)
06:18 - Mohgwyn Palace - Varre's Sidequest
09:29 - Mohgwyn Palace - Albinaurics Rune Route (2K Runes per kill)
09:58 - Mohgwyn Palace - Diseased Crow Rune Route (11K+ Runes per kill)
10:55 - Mohgwyn Palace - Out-of-Bounds Exploit (100K+ Runes per cycle)
12:35 - Find the Golden Scarab Talisman
13:46 - How to Craft Gold-Pickled Fowl Feet

zkorejo

Dex/int build was going fine. Dex/Arcane build with blood loss build is like twice as effective. Also at this point it's a bit different which is refreshing.

Cyborg

Dex/int build was going fine. Dex/Arcane build with blood loss build is like twice as effective. Also at this point it's a bit different which is refreshing.
I'm running the Dex/Arcane build. The build is really nice but sometimes you destroy enemies so fast and sometimes it has zero effect.

zkorejo

I'm running the Dex/Arcane build. The build is really nice but sometimes you destroy enemies so fast and sometimes it has zero effect.
True. But when you're swarmed by two giants, hounds and one giant at a distance throwing magic damage rocks at you, only to realize there's also a mega giant hand that breaks out of the icy ground when you try to get a breather.... It's a good problem.

Edit: oh you mean it sometimes doesn't work? I have yet to experience that I only changed my build to bloodloss yesterday.

Last edited:

Cyborg

True. But when you're swarmed by two giants, hounds and one giant at a distance throwing magic damage rocks at you, only to realize there's also a mega giant hand that breaks out of the icy ground when you try to get a breather.... It's a good problem.

Edit: oh you mean it sometimes doesn't work? I have yet to experience that I only changed my build to bloodloss yesterday.
I know the area you are talking about! Haha!

gela94

I`ve a question, I'm at volcano manor and killed all the guys for Tanith she wants to bring me to her Lord Rykard , is there a difference between doing that or finding him myself?

GHG

I`ve a question, I'm at volcano manor and killed all the guys for Tanith she wants to bring me to her Lord Rykard , is there a difference between doing that or finding him myself?

If you say yes she will teleport you to a grace outside his boss arena.

No difference between finding him yourself and letting her teleport you there other than anything you might miss while exploring the path to finding him.

DelireMan7

What GHG GHG said.

You can still explore the manor after the quest and meeting rykard.

If you go find him by yourself, you can't do the quest I think.

Urban

As a tradition i finished my run with the Bastardsword.
On the Second run the game is still magical.
No game gives me this feeling of exploration

gela94

If you say yes she will teleport you to a grace outside his boss arena.

No difference between finding him yourself and letting her teleport you there other than anything you might miss while exploring the path to finding him.
I see Thanx

Bojji

Got platinum:

I missed this fucking spear the first time, without it I would platinum it one playthrough. But I had a chance to play with the famous rivers of blood, it's ok but magic is better :messenger_grinning_smiling:

What a game!

Oh LOL I was wondering where this thread went, banished to Communities huh?!

I'm particularly ashamed this day that Elon finished the game before I did. Somehow the guy has time to run like 8 companies and play this to the end. I need to man up and get to my first playthrough's ending!

Cyborg

Elden bro's I need help! I am almost done and preparing for the endings. I need some help in what order to do what.

I want all the three endings in one play so ..
- I have asked Melina to set everything on fire and she brought me to Crumbling Farum Azula.
- I have completed Rani's quest so I'm set for that ending
- I have Miquellas Needle and found the secret alter so Im set for the Frenzies ending. But when do I do this?

What I don't understand is what to do with Fraum Azula? Do I finish it completely? And when do I need to use the Needle? I saw someone mentioning it needs to be used in Azula. So In what order should I do the endings en when to complete Azula?

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Elden bro's I need help! I am almost done and preparing for the endings. I need some help in what order to do what.

I want all the three endings in one play so ..
- I have asked Melina to set everything on fire and she brought me to Crumbling Farum Azula.
- I have completed Rani's quest so I'm set for that ending
- I have Miquellas Needle and found the secret alter so Im set for the Frenzies ending. But when do I do this?

What I don't understand is what to do with Fraum Azula? Do I finish it completely? And when do I need to use the Needle? I saw someone mentioning it needs to be used in Azula. So In what order should I do the endings en when to complete Azula?
Except if you save "scam" you can't have all endings in one playthrough.

The choice for the ending is done at the end.

Fatima Azula is mandatory but there is still something after so you can still do stuff after.

If you have been touched by the Frenzied fingers, you now lock for this ending.

The needle allow to remove the curse of frenzy. You remove it after defeating Malenia. But I think you can't have this ending anymore after that.

So if you want everything, you can do Farum Azula with its bosses.

Then best 2 bosses in the next area. KEEP A SAVE.

Then beat the final fight. After the fight you will have the frenzy ending.

Reload your save, beat Malenia (if not done yet) and cure the frenzy with the needle.

Redo the final fight. I think you can keep a save after to allow a reload and see the 2 different endings (Classic and Ranni) since you get to choice the endings after the fight

EDIT : did you get the legendary weapons in Leyndell ? Do that before Farum Azula if you want the Platinum.

You can do everything else after the ending in case.

Last edited:
Another update just finished Raya Lucaria.

So here I was thinking this has the least amount of bullshit in an Fromsoft game. I.e. no farming for blood vials, appropriate placed bonfires always in front of bossrooms, fast moving responsive horse and fast travel etc.

And then last night I got a double barrel of bullshit one after the other! First I went back to the standed graveyard and had to avoid that whirling chariot of death to get to the bottom of the sewers. Great frigging level design but soured because there's no checkpoint anywhere even before the boss room. No issue beacuse I one spotted it but I can't same the same for those 2 freaks on the bridge. (I got them eventually they HAD to die). Going back to the top every time got tiresome.

Secondly theres no bonfire before the rennala fight. So you have to runs past all the enemies recall the elevator (Why do these never reset?) Redo the puzzle boss fight which is really cool but gets old when you redo it multiple times. Then your at the proper boss fight which can one shot you.(Bullshit aside the Rennala fight is excellent)

On about my 3rd attempt I thought why the fuck does this elevator need to be here!? It just goes up to an empty room and then you enter the boss fight. Unless it's there for loading its serves no purpose other than wasting the players time.

This doesn't change my oppinon as a From fan I've put up with this shit for years lol. But seriously this run past enemies to the boss needs to die in a fire. You could argue it place in demon souls when you had far more health. But now when bosses can can one shot you it's too much.

It's just fucking weird at this when the rest of the game nearly always has bonfires. Some of those bosses have been a cakewalk as well. Nothing felt like it was lost in there absence.

Game is still a ten out of ten but I'am gonna rake it over the coals if it slips up!

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
My issue with Fighting Cowboys build vids is that he always has the best shit.

Does Arcane scale with every weapon you apply bleed on?

Fools idol

Banned
Just solo'd her for the first time.

Man, that was intense. The rivers of blood fully upgraded is an incredible weapon, and I think for a scrub skill level like me, the only way I was ever going to beat Melania alone.

It took something like 20 attempts. But I did it, GAF.

Also this is easily my favourite FromBoss of all time. It's beautiful, challenging, lore rich and utterly excellent (and optional!).

When she reveals her wings I was just like 'holy shit'.

Incredible game.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
So I'm at a crossroads.
Started Ranni's quest, cleared Siofra, and now me and Blaidd are going to go kill Radahn. Haven't touched anything in Caelid yet. I also have the first grace unlocked at the Altus Plateau and have yet to move into that area. Lastly, I think I have the road to the Capitol unlocked (Bellus Highway) and am moving up that as we speak. I don't want to mess up the quest ... any tip as to which direction I should head?

I'm a level 65 Dex/Faith build. About 75 hours in.

Before I started Ranni's quest my plan was to move on the Capitol because someone told me that's where a lot of good FTH gear is.

What say you, GAF?

R6Rider

Gold Member
So I'm at a crossroads.
Started Ranni's quest, cleared Siofra, and now me and Blaidd are going to go kill Radahn. Haven't touched anything in Caelid yet. I also have the first grace unlocked at the Altus Plateau and have yet to move into that area. Lastly, I think I have the road to the Capitol unlocked (Bellus Highway) and am moving up that as we speak. I don't want to mess up the quest ... any tip as to which direction I should head?

I'm a level 65 Dex/Faith build. About 75 hours in.

Before I started Ranni's quest my plan was to move on the Capitol because someone told me that's where a lot of good FTH gear is.

What say you, GAF?
Do (most of) Caelid and fight Radahn. Following that, you should know what to do with a little exploration.

Note: You don't have to do anything else in Caelid for that quest line, just mentioning you can probably do most of it now.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Do (most of) Caelid and fight Radahn. Following that, you should know what to do with a little exploration.

Note: You don't have to do anything else in Caelid for that quest line, just mentioning you can probably do most of it now.
Appreciate the advice. So far this is a really cool quest. And oddly straightforward for a From game.

I'm suspicious.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In this Elden Ring video we're going to show you how to make PvP build, including gameplay moments from our very own build. Duels with fellow Tarnished can be challenging, so prepare for PvP with us by learning how to choose your Weapons, Talismans, Armor, Armaments, Spells and Stats.

00:00 Intro
00:50 The Best Armor for Elden Ring PvP
00:52 The most Important Armor Stats for PvP
01:00 Best Armor for Damage Negation
01:28 Heavyweight Dodge Rolls
01:33 Elden Ring Fashon
01:50 The Best Armaments for Elden Ring PvP
01:57 The Important Differences in PvP Weapons
02:11 Rivers Of Blood
02:19 Elden Ring PvP Weapon suggestions
02:34 PvP Ashes Of War
02:42 Bloodhound Step in PvP
02:57 Ash of War Parry
03:15 Best Shields for Elden Ring PvP
03:34 Fingerprint Stone Shield
04:01 Sorceries vs Incantations for Elden Ring PvP
04:13 What makes Incantations Strong
04:19 Example PvP Incantation Combos
04:36 What Makes Sorceries Strong
04:48 Choosing A Staff or Seal in Elden Ring Pvp
04:55 Frenzied Flame Seal
05:12 Choosing a Staff for PvP
05:28 Weapons to Pair With Sorceries
05:35 Charging Up Your Spells
05:53 The Best Talismans for Elden Ring PvP
06:05 Weapon Skill Focus Talisman
06:50 The Best Attributes for Elden Ring PvP
06:55 Mind in Elden Ring Pvp
07:07 Vigor in Elden Ring Pvp
07:15 Endurance in Elden Ring Pvp
07:27 Strength vs Dexterity in Elden Ring Pvp
07:40 Two Handing a Weapon
07:45 Intelligence vs Faith for PvP
08:00 Arcane in Elden Ring Pvp
08:16 The Best Wonderous Flask Mix for Elden Ring PvP
08:25 Boost to PvP power
08:39 Additional PvP Defenses
08:58 Dex Weapons, Faith Caster, Bleed PvP Build
09:08 Bleed PvP Build Combo
09:22 Buff Stacking for PvP
09:29 Maximum Poise Build
09:43 Radagon's Soreseal
09:53 Erdtree's Favor + 2
10:00 Tank Build Equip Load
10:12 The Best Stats for Dex Weapon, Faith Caster, Bleed PvP Build
10:31 Incantations for Melee PvP Faith Caster
11:09 Sacred Relic Sword
11:23 Combat Tips for Elden Ring Pvp
12:00 Outro

Any good weapon or strategy advice for a Bandit build ? I'm about level 28 , put mostly into Vigor, Endurance and Dex so far.
I'm rocking the default dagger and bow still .

Enjoying my time with it quite a bit so far.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Any good weapon or strategy advice for a Bandit build ? I'm about level 28 , put mostly into Vigor, Endurance and Dex so far.
I'm rocking the default dagger and bow still .

Enjoying my time with it quite a bit so far.
Your biggest challenge will be closing the distance to stronger enemies and inflicting meaningful damage on them once you do if you stick with dagger-style weapons.

Look into Bleed and consider dual wielding. There is a damn good early-game Bleed dagger that you can get in Limgrave.

Reduvia

Edit: I'd also recommend you find a dex-based spear for both mounted combat and times when you need the reach. (As a bonus, high dex will make you much harder to unseat from Torrent).

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I hit Boc the seamstres by accident so he followed me prolly to get revenge. I ran far away got absolution, give him a larvae tear and now he's gonna die I thought I read.

Fuck.

Also. Is there a shortcut fighting those two atlas knight, one with shield and sword and the other with a spear..those rolling assholes are annoying af

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Okay what's the deal with crafting? I am level 80 and 68 hours in and I ve never crafted once!

I missing anything by not doing it?
It's not mandatory or anything. Helpful though.

I craft the boluses (especially the poison and rot-curing ones) all the time. Same with the pots. Nice tools to have on your quick belt.

The various fleshes that give you a big damage boost are sometimes nice too if you're struggling with a boss.

In the end though, I feel like it's a little bloated of a system but I get it. There's like 45 different status effects and then each of those have corresponding arrows, bolts, knives, pots, preventatives, accelerants, greases etc etc.

I probably craft about 3-5% of the available recipes regularly.

Cyborg

Finally done with Elden Ring (1st playthrough 140h!) Two trophies left for the Platinum and then I'm done! Yesterday I thought I found everything and I still found a Heroes Grave. The game is amazing.

I have ONE BIG complaint; Why does every NPC that you meet have to die, I miss the connection.

Top Bottom