• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Guys in the Elphael, Brace Of The Haligtree there are three Crystalians just casually hanging in a dark room. What's up with this nonsense? I just can't beat them. I do very little damage with my bleed build. It is even so bad that I and my mimic get killed!
Do these bastards have any weaknesses? I just can't seem to break their armor.
Jumping attacks work. Especially the power stance L1 jump attack. Breaks them quite quickly even using 2 katanas. Of course taking on 3 of them in a tiny room isn't a great idea in the 1st place :)

Mephisto40

Guys in the Elphael, Brace Of The Haligtree there are three Crystalians just casually hanging in a dark room. What's up with this nonsense? I just can't beat them. I do very little damage with my bleed build. It is even so bad that I and my mimic get killed!
Just switch to any blunt weapon, even the weakest blunt weapons completely destroy them

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I’d argue that all of Elphael is nonsense. As a mage, those three were at least easy to take on one by one from a distance.

JCK75

I'm only just now really getting into it and playing it regularly..
I would give anything for them to make coop play a normal non pain in the ass.

DavidGzz

Playing the Ascended mod and it's a blast all over again. All items have a magical property, armors have buffs, cerrtain later game weapons can be found much earlier in dungeons, exploring is more rewarding, bosses that were pushovers are challenging, crafting items are much more numerous, etc. I recommend it if you're on PC! Wolves build frost debuff and it's nasty now, pumpkin heads build up madness with their attacks, etc. All enemies cause a certain status ailment so even easy enemies can't be face tanked like normal. I'm level 120 in Limgrave still and you need every level.

Last edited:

Soodanim

They have a defensive layer that once broken, reduces their defence by a huge amount. They're hard but brittle, so use a weapon that does strike damage if you want to smash these walking windows quickly.

Also, make sure you keep Bone Darts in your item slots. It's so quick and easy to craft them, and they are perfect for luring one away at a time. It's necessary with those janky things, especially that hopping spear one.

My first playthrough was with a mace and shield, so guard counters were the way I went through them.

Zimmy68

Just switch to any blunt weapon, even the weakest blunt weapons completely destroy them
I have tried every blunt weapon I have, all the ones that usually work on them elsewhere. But here, they do a sliver of damage. It blows my mind. They probably have the highest HP in the entire game.
I was able to find a rock incantation that stunned them but as soon as I lost stamina, they jumped back up and destroyed me.
And a question to the other guy, how do you get the mimic in that area?

gow3isben

You guys are all using guides to finishing the side quests right? Because some of the things you have to do to progress them are too damn specific and random that ain't nobody can figure out on their own. I typically hate "cheating" but 0 chance I would be able to finish a fraction of the sidequests without them.

Kssio_Aug

You guys are all using guides to finishing the side quests right? Because some of the things you have to do to progress them are too damn specific and random that ain't nobody can figure out on their own. I typically hate "cheating" but 0 chance I would be able to finish a fraction of the sidequests without them.
This goes for every Souls game... you either don't care about the quests, or seek guides. Otherwise they're almost impossible to figure out alone. One of the aspects that I actually think it's pretty silly from the devs... they should at least provide some quest info in the menu.

hollams

Gold Member
Rolled credits last night after 117 hours and I didn't know I was at the end so I was kind of shocked. I still have a ton of areas to explore before I try new game+.

Airbus Jr

Banned
rljpuB7.jpg

ClosBSAS

I need to complain some more.

Haligtree is such a shitty area. I'm just running past all enemies and activating the bonfires. No point fighting enemies. Is this how the game is supposed to be played?

Anyway, made it to Malenia. Killed her on my third try.
Me and my mimic summon wearing full tree sentinel armor armed with the great stars great hammer. It heals on hit. My mimic was immortal.
Just bonk after bonk until she died.
Lol ya, halig tree was brutal...I loved it just cause I did mountaintop of the Giants first and that shit was so whackkk....still, game of the year for me. Such a great feeling finishing it

I_D

On my first playthrough, I went totally blind and explored as much as I could. I ended up finding about 85% of the stuff on my own.

After the first playthrough, I now use the wiki to make questing easier. I'm also a huge nerd, so I'm making a spreadsheet with all of the quests, and in which order to complete them most efficiently.

I agree that it would be exceptionally difficult to complete everything without some assistance from an outside source; especially since many of the sidequests are time-sensitive.

Bartski

Gold Member
On my first playthrough, I went totally blind and explored as much as I could. I ended up finding about 85% of the stuff on my own.

After the first playthrough, I now use the wiki to make questing easier. I'm also a huge nerd, so I'm making a spreadsheet with all of the quests, and in which order to complete them most efficiently.

I agree that it would be exceptionally difficult to complete everything without some assistance from an outside source; especially since many of the sidequests are time-sensitive.
Same, I did most endings related sidequests almost all blind on my first run. I did fail a number of smaller NPC questlines on my first NG tho (Yura, Rya, Varre...) and that's ok, it's part of the course. The whole narrative that FROM games are impossible without a guide is just ridiculous. Just takes some time, patience and very thorough exploring, but it's just so satisfying to find that stuff on your own. Also, most NPC side quests don't fail just by progressing through the main quest (except volcano manor) so in this regard, the game is also very lenient as compared to previous FROM titles.

This is not to say I didn't use the wiki, of course I did, after the credits. Mainly to seek out hidden dungeons I missed and I missed a ton.

Speaking of spreadsheets,

mmn3o4fbhuz81.png

I_D

Speaking of spreadsheets,

I like it. I shall steal its data, and claim it as my own.

Mine is just a literal spreadsheet. This graph gives lots of different options on how to proceed, whereas mine is simply a 'Do X, then do Y' type of list. Mine is set up to get as close to 100% as possible, whereas this one is more about following specific quests, while also allowing for 100%ing.

I'm almost finished with mine. I need to tweak the order a bit here and there, and then I need to do a total-redo of all the proper-nouns, but it currently looks like this:

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Or just use a great sword with the stock upwards cut ash and launch them in the air shattering them. They die in a few hits when smashed.

Last edited:
How do I Unignore a thread in Neogaf?
I unignore individual threads or all threads but they never show back up When logged in.
I ask because I bought this game and want to read the thread now.
I have no idea what I’m doing or what I’m supposed to be doing In Eldon Ring I assume I just murder everything in the game.

I played all weekend and as I figured out stuff I decided to abandon my character and start a brand new character from beginning and picked the starting seed that gave me 5 flasks. Took me less than an hour to get back to where I was before. Game mechanics are starting to click and I’m surprised to know I might actually give this a real try.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I should use more Google

PvLXV3Q.jpg

BotW all.over again 🙈

There's this elevator with a contraption that doenst work in that freaky volcano esque village (with all those long neck salamanders) church where you fight the bulky white monk.. No clue.. Killed the boss tho. Alao searching for that weird daughter that first appeared as lizard

Last edited:

Fredrik

Makes me think I’ve already messed up quests by doing things in the wrong order. Things are surprisingly open and vague, I forget what I’m supposed to do and then I explore and notice that something happened when I talk to someone.

jaysius

Banned
I should use more Google

PvLXV3Q.jpg

BotW all.over again 🙈

There's this elevator with a contraption that doenst work in that freaky volcano esque village (with all those long neck salamanders) church where you fight the bulky white monk.. No clue.. Killed the boss tho. Alao searching for that weird daughter that first appeared as lizard
Are you serious? You have 257 hours into the game and are only that far and only level 100? I mean the game is hard, but this is just saddism, keep up the push though. I hope it gets easier for you somehow, what kind of build do you have? It doesn't look like it's working.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Are you serious? You have 257 hours into the game and are only that far and only level 100? I mean the game is hard, but this is just saddism, keep up the push though. I hope it gets easier for you somehow, what kind of build do you have? It doesn't look like it's working.

Not hard. But I'm tired so hope it's okay to give a better understanding about the situation tomorrow. Playing wrong build I'm thinking. Btw cleared radahn and the latter double semi bosses.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Not hard. But I'm tired so hope it's okay to give a better understanding about the situation tomorrow. Playing wrong build I'm thinking.
Sorry I didn't mean to come off as a dick, it's just time for an intervention with that many hours and that little progress the game can't be very fun, the game should be fun though.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Sorry I didn't mean to come off as a dick, it's just time for an intervention with that many hours and that little progress the game can't be very fun.

You didn't came off negative. No worries. Just a combination of stuff I feel (my lack of progression)

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
You didn't came off negative. No worries. Just a combination of stuff I feel (my lack of progression)
No need to explain at all, I hope sharing your build here when you have time lets some people steer you in a better direction possibly making the game more fun for you.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
No need to explain at all, I hope sharing your build here when you have time lets some people steer you in a better direction possibly making the game more fun for you.

Appreciate you and fellow advice and analysis when I share my stats, playstyle, etc.

Long-Form Crying GIF by Chad VanGaalen

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

This video shows you how to make a great Blood Build in Elden Ring. Here's how to make a bleed build and make the most out of the Blood Loss status effect in Elden Ring. We've got you covered with our Bleed Build Character Guide to help take you from the early game, all the way to the late game while using Bleed Buildup.

00:00 - Intro
00:25 - How Blood Loss Works
01:25 - -- Getting Started (Early Game) --
02:28 - Weapons - Bandit's Curved Sword
03:14 - Get the Bloody Slash Ash of War
03:55 - Duplicate Bloody Slash
04:19 - Early Game Bleed Weapon Alternatives
05:11 - Get the Claw Talisman
06:25 - Find "Flame, Grant me Strength"
07:04 - Find Radagon's Soreseal
08:13 - -- Mid-Game Bleed Build Tips --
08:34 - Get the Scavenger's Curved Sword
09:18 - Mid-Game Weapon Alternative - Eleonora's Poleblade
09:33 - Get the Raptor's Black Feathers
10:13 - Get Lord of Blood's Exultation
12:24 - Find the Black Whetblade
13:46 - Unlock the Late Game Areas to proceed
14:19 - -- Late Game Bleed Build Stats --
15:12 - Get the Seppuku Ash of War
15:40 - Late-Game Weapon Alternative - Rivers of Blood
16:16 - Find the White Mask
17:35 - Get the Thorny Cracked Tear
17:51 - Talismans
18:08 - Complete Millicent's Quest
18:56 - Putting the Build Together
20:18 - Thoughts on New Game+
20:41 - Outro

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Interesting. Not surprised by the "Favorite weapons/ash of war/spells/Spirit" categories results xD

"Top 15 enemies", how is Godfrey (AKA the best Soulsborne boss ever) so low. I get why people say Radahn but man this fight is a chore for me.
And Elden beast is so high... I give it a point for the design but all the rest is pure pain and annoyance for me xD

Surprised to see Caelid as a Top area.

Fredrik

I’ve been using the Lordsworn’s Blood Greatsword since almost the start. +13 now, gets blood loss buildup to 87, 110 on critical. It can often take off a big chuck of health on an enemy, like in the third slash in a combo. Is this because of blood loss or critical stat or because it’s a greatsword?

I have the Regalia of Eochaid as a secondary weapon, or left hand choice when it’s no point to use a shield, I never get that big hit with that sword. (Still good though)

Last edited:

G-DannY

I’ve been using the Lordsworn’s Blood Greatsword since almost the start. +13 now, gets blood loss buildup to 87, 110 on critical. It can often take off a big chuck of health on an enemy, like in the third slash in a combo. Is this because of blood loss or critical stat or because it’s a greatsword?

I have the Regalia of Eochaid as a secondary weapon, or left hand choice when it’s no point to use a shield, I never get that big hit with that sword. (Still good though)

bleed status buildup is obscenely powerful and unbalanced in the game as a whole

"easy mode" in pve, cheesy in pvp

expect heavy nerf

Last edited:

Bojji

Malenia is dead... now I have the best looking armor in the game 😊

180d74d8f1778-screenshot-Url.png

I think i beat her on my 3rd try, she has more health but overall is easier than Maliketh. Mimic tear with rennala full moon and me using gravity slingshot and she was dead in few minutes. The worst boss so far for me is fire giant, so fucking long to drain his health bar...

OK another update did a bit west limgrave and finished stormville Castle.

Two main points

This game is huge.
It feels more like a super wide wide wide linear game than an open world game and that's a good thing.

Really enjoyed Stormville Castle I spent about 5 hours there lol. I did a bit of jolly co-op to level up but tried to explore everywhere and I know I haven't found everything lol. I didn't die much was just exploring...

Finally getting to walk on the bridge with the stone gollums was a real magical moment.

I went to explore West limgrave for a bit got to this round building with a lift. Went down expecting another dungeon then holy christ there a whole other world down here😅

I knew there was an underground map going in but experiencing it was something else I was overwhelmed!

The Siofra River was visually amazing took a while on the boss there but got him. I took the other lift to the land of rot region and thought I would come back later!

This is what I mean by super wide linear. There was clear difficulty progression from limegrave, Siofra river and Rotting place. I think the game clearly wants you to throughly explore each region level up then progress to the next. Skilled players can obviously exploit this but the average player will get stomped if they stray too far without preparing/ leveling.

DelireMan7

I went to explore West limgrave for a bit got to this round building with a lift. Went down expecting another dungeon then holy christ there a whole other world down here😅

I knew there was an underground map going in but experiencing it was something else I was overwhelmed!
This moment blew my mind. I didn't know anything about it. I took this lift. Then I thought "It a really long ride, I am going very deep" then I saw the purple "night sky" and my brain went crazy.

This is what I mean by super wide linear. There was clear difficulty progression from limegrave, Siofra river and Rotting place. I think the game clearly wants you to throughly explore each region level up then progress to the next. Skilled players can obviously exploit this but the average player will get stomped if they stray too far without preparing/ leveling.
Yes and no I would say. Exploring Limgrave and then moving to the west seems the natural progression the games wants you to do.
But Caelid (the rot region) is weird in term on scaling (in my opinion). It remains a nightmare for quite a bit of the game. Especially a specific region of it.

Bojji

OK another update did a bit west limgrave and finished stormville Castle.

Two main points

This game is huge.
It feels more like a super wide wide wide linear game than an open world game and that's a good thing.

Really enjoyed Stormville Castle I spent about 5 hours there lol. I did a bit of jolly co-op to level up but tried to explore everywhere and I know I haven't found everything lol. I didn't die much was just exploring...

Finally getting to walk on the bridge with the stone gollums was a real magical moment.

The Siofra River was visually amazing took a while on the boss there but got him. I took the other lift to the land of rot region and thought I would come back later!

And there are many more areas as big as this castle or even bigger, most of them have top notch design and art too. From really outdid themselves, game is massive but nothing feels copy paste like in AC games for example (outside of dungeons and mines). Game is technicall mess on most platforms but from pure gameplay and game design point of view now I think 10\10 reviews were correct.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

I guess my time played and relative low lvl. Come down to

#1 Blindy exploring
#2 Mostly under influence
#3 Thua having a forgetful and disjointed experience

Sure, I met some walls but nothing to severe.

My initial character was a prisoner because spell sword sounded dope. I've always played melee builds so I wanted something else... I quickly found the Meteorite Staff (one of the few times I googled for a decent staff because my magic damage output was abysmal) and choose to go 80% Mage 20% Melee.

I heard magic got better later on so I stuck with it but my playstyle is more aggressive and like to hack and slash with magic for support (flying assholes, etc) And magic solely even with that talisman does shit damage)

I've been eyeing ultra swords, hammers and bleed weapons

These are some pics I took (I also have pics of map progression if needed) (and all my weapons, mats, etc lol I went all out)
uztoghP.jpg
nLUbF1z.jpg

nsWDfzM.jpg
9IxoUf9.jpg

Btw I've never grinded

Last edited:
Top Bottom