• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

G-DannY

finally annihilated the shitty malenia. needed to waste 2 respecs and a full somber upgrade materials just to spam the ash of War of Moghwyn spear and kill her both phases in less than 2 minutes

I just hated her and the fact that to beat her I forcibly had to respec in something other than my build (faith/int) and waste upgrade materials, so I choose the most certain way to remove her from the existence.

Cannot stand anymore the constant spam of "I'm Malenia, blade of Miquella". now I can rest peacefully and proceed to move to farum azula to end the game

Guilty_AI

finally annihilated the shitty malenia. needed to waste 2 respecs and a full somber upgrade materials just to spam the ash of War of Moghwyn spear and kill her both phases in less than 2 minutes

I just hated her and the fact that to beat her I forcibly had to respec in something other than my build (faith/int) and waste upgrade materials, so I choose the most certain way to remove her from the existence.

Cannot stand anymore the constant spam of "I'm Malenia, blade of Miquella". now I can rest peacefully and proceed to move to farum azula to end the game
8d1gxpj2vpq81.png

ebevan91

I almost beat the final boss on the first try. His health was so low I thought I killed him because you couldn’t see the red part of the health bar and he ended up killing me.3 hours later I’m still stuck on him and can’t figure out what the hell I did to almost beat him the first try.

Last edited:
It's mind blowing to me that a massive region in the game is locked behind finding some guy disguised as a glowing jar (I think that's how you get the medallion, unless you are into killing random npcs).

Last edited:

tassletine

I almost beat the final boss on the first try. His health was so low I thought I killed him because you couldn’t see the red part of the health bar and he ended up killing me.3 hours later I’m still stuck on him and can’t figure out what the hell I did to almost beat him the first try.
Souls games have a mechanic where the first time you meet the boss it's set at 'neutral' -- which is why a lot of people beat them first time. There is a lot of dice rolling behind the scenes in From's games, in ER it's especially egregious.
Yeah, I have a blasphemous blade +10. But spamming L2 gets old fast.

I just killed the ulcerated tree spirit from this area and it's got to be the worst boss fight I've ever seen. It sits in a lake of scarlet rot. It can hit you and even grab you clipping through geometry. What was I supposed to do? Besides sitting on a tree branch and spam blasphemous blade's L2.
That's what I hate about this game. There is always a cheese and the game seems to based around those. It forces you to either waste your time fighting or just give up and cheese it.
That a lot of the late area bosses are reskins makes this doubly lame as you've already beaten those enemies. It's designed to test your patience / stamina rather than your skill.

ER has a heavy gambling mechanic to it (instadeath) and this is what's driving you forward most of the time. It literally feels like you're playing a slot machine at times, getting SO close but not close enough so you try one more go.
It's not well made, it's just cheap. From really need to be called out on this as they seem to be regressing in terms of boss design.

DelireMan7

Souls games have a mechanic where the first time you meet the boss it's set at 'neutral' -- which is why a lot of people beat them first time. There is a lot of dice rolling behind the scenes in From's games, in ER it's especially egregious.
First time I heard that.

I beat the final boss thanks to a run where he didn't move much( after many tries) so it was a dice roll win.

I don't have the feeling I beat some other bosses out of luck.

Other topic: Carian study hall is a bullshit area xD I didn't remember it like this but on my second run it was a nightmare. Especially the second part. The mage spamming spell, the hands attacking me and the soldier behind its shield throwing some spell... I finally got it when the mage decided to roll to his death by falling. So basically a free win xD

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Question,

I got quite some spell atm. Finishing Volcano Manor in regards to progress. In lvl 40 int but I feel they're lackluster and not super powerful in general. I mostly go with my sword. Am I missing something?

Leveling Dex increases casting time yeah.

But all in all magic ATM feels l like ocasial supporting thing

Another poster told me about a better staff but I didn't recognize the place/region he mention lol

So adore that magic bow tho

I'm sporting that magic slash blade made from a huge bug"s wing 😁

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member

ER has a heavy gambling mechanic to it (instadeath) and this is what's driving you forward most of the time. It literally feels like you're playing a slot machine at times, getting SO close but not close enough so you try one more go.
It's not well made, it's just cheap. From really need to be called out on this as they seem to be regressing in terms of boss design.
wow man that's an amazing discovery. I'm sure you have something to back this up, maybe a source? There are people in the community who keep analyzing those games on code level I follow and I don't recall them ever pointing that out, I'm sure they would love to hear from you.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Question,

I got quite some spell atm. Finishing Volcano Manor in regards to progress. In lvl 40 int but I feel they're lackluster and not super powerful in general. I mostly go with my sword. Am I missing something?
Hmm, I used sorceries for literally 99% of the game, resorting to a sword only for close-quarter combat in tight situations, and rarely felt I needed a weapon. The good thing in ER is that the starting spells of the Astrologer keep being useful throughout the whole game. I mean, I beat an infamously cheap duo boss with Glintstone Arc. Carian Slicer is ridiculously cheap and a really viable option for close combat, too, falling short only against very quick enemies that move around a lot (fuck you, Black Knives Assassin). You’re never gonna get the stopping power of greatswords or bleed weapons from sorceries unless you have the time to prepare some serious buffs (see the gifs another user has been posting in this thread for examples), but just the fact that you can keep your distance was a gamechanger for me. Compared to DS3 where magic seemed to get me nowhere, this is night and day.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Beat it, 130 hours, lvl 180.
I remember a bunch of threads saying how this game was unfairly difficult, and now i have to wonder what the hell were they doing during their playthrough.
Game isn't easy, but in terms of difficulty it has nothing on stuff like Sekiro and other titles, you're given so much tools and options to use and abuse.
you are level 180.
I finished the game at 60 hours level 99.
Then I played more up to 90 hours and level 160 and that was grinding and helping summons.

How did you god level 180 before beating the game. sheesh

MadPanda

Banned
I'm playing ng+ and I feel sorry for all these bosses. Just beat Radahn and he didn't even manage to go into space attack. Rennala was obliterates too. If I could I'd start ng++ right now.

Boss Man

you are level 180.
Then I played more up to 90 hours and level 160 and that was grinding and helping summons.

I stopped at 150, beat the game at 120 hours…

I think the difficulty was just all around worse than previous games. It was both easier overall and more of my deaths came from things that didn’t feel fair (fall “damage” is awful in this game).

Having said that, I’d still spend another 200 hours with the next game even if nothing changes. I think tuning difficulty must have been one of the harder things to do with the move to open world and it was still better than what any other open world has done.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
you are level 180.

I've also finished game on 180 level with 143 or so hours played.

Guilty_AI

By playing the game normally instead of following a beeline towards the last boss, no grinding, 100% offline.
You either did not explore properly or you purposefully ran past a whole bunch of enemies and ignored bosses.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
By playing the game instead of following a beeline towards the last boss, no grinding, 100% offline.
You either did not explore properly or you purposefully ran past a whole bunch of enemies and ignored bosses.
I did everything in the game :p
I would have to check but I am lvl 160-170 somewhere in that range.
I even scourged a wiki to search for something I might've missed. Good 75% of the game I've done in first 65 hours and beating the last boss. Rest 20% in next 30 hours. 5% might be left unexplored but I am not sure... I did mohg, malenia, all caves and dungeons. Maybe I've missed something

Guilty_AI

No you didn't, simply because what you're saying is physically impossible. Heck, I missed content i found out after beating that existed, both areas (pretty sure i missed volcano manor) and quests.
And wiki's will do you absolutely no good unless you specifically know what you're searching for, or are you telling me you skimmed through the hundreds of entries for locations alone? Just so you know, dungeons, mohg and malenia is nowhere near everything the game has hidden away in the world.

Last edited:

Urban

After 82 hrs i finished my first run and i have 38 of the 42 achievements !

A very good game indeed.

9/10

I would have to check but I am lvl 160-170 somewhere in that range.
I even scourged a wiki to search for something I might've missed. Good 75% of the game I've done in first 65 hours and beating the last boss. Rest 20% in next 30 hours. 5% might be left unexplored but I am not sure... I did mohg, malenia, all caves and dungeons. Maybe I've missed something

if you pop all the runes i guess you can be easy lvl 180. I was 169 at the end

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I think the difficulty was just all around worse than previous games. It was both easier overall and more of my deaths came from things that didn’t feel fair (fall “damage” is awful in this game).
Honestly i though damage was still worse in Sekiro, single attacks would take away more than half of my health in some bosses.

Later bosses also took away a lot of health in Elden Ring but still not as much, not to mention i had all sorts of healing items and protection i could use without fear of them running out. That said, my character did wear heavier armor so that might have mitigated the damage compared to other builds.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
No you didn't, simply because what you're saying is physically impossible. Heck, I missed content i found out after beating that existed, both areas (pretty sure i missed volcano manor) and quests.
And wiki's will do you absolutely no good unless you specifically know what you're searching for, or are you telling me you skimmed through the hundreds of entries for locations alone? Just so you know, dungeons, mohg and malenia is nowhere near everything the game has hidden away in the world.
I did. I skimmed through the locations on the map and that list at the very least. If I missed something, it's not a lot. I just did not cared for grinding and collecting souls. I was already powerful enough.
yeah, volcano manor I only did after beating the game at 65hours. Same with Mohg, dung eater quest and few other.
I never did Ranni quest but I did got Astel.

OK, I checked my save date.
I am level 156 an 96 hours on the clock. good few hours of that time was spend helping/trying to help people beat late bosses, so just having fun.
I even watched all bosses speedrun and didn't found anything major I could miss.
Maybe I play a bit faster or had easier time since I finished the game and then, more powerful returned to many of those caves and pummeled bosses?
My buddy got 200h on steam clock nd he did ng1,2,3,4 in that time

Fredrik

😵‍💫
Here I’ve played 76 hours and is only level 70, still mostly exploring too, taken down some smaller bosses and Tree Sentinel, Night Cavalry, one Erdtree boss, Margit and Godrick, so much left to explore, been exploring the atlus plateau today.

GOTY and on my top 5 all time list 👍

I had 100 hours and level 170 I believe when I finished for the first time. I explored a lot. And did some rune farming.
On my second character, I was 130+, and around 50 hours.

I know people don't like level-scaling but I think Elden Ring could use some. I went back to exploring the map and found dungeons in the early areas and it's just boring.

Guilty_AI

I did. I skimmed through the locations on the map and that list at the very least. If I missed something, it's not a lot. I just did not cared for grinding and collecting souls. I was already powerful enough.
Nope, as i said, its impossible to explore most of this game in under 100 hours. Did you do all the trees? All the castles? The Lucaria academy rooftops? Not just dungeons but hidden areas inside dungeons? The Great-jar trial? The amount of content is way too insane that a mere guide could have helped you through it. At best you only saw the "main" optional stuff.

If you're fine with that and you thought a 99 level character was enough to beat the game, good. But many people still seem to struggle at that level and the answer is simply leveling up more, maybe stumbling into new equipment. Just go look for suspicious spots in the map that haven't been marked yet and go see what they're all about, you're 90% sure to stumble into something. Or go to spots you already went through if you remember areas that looked reachable but you couldn't get to them.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Nope, as i said, its impossible to explore most of this game in under 100 hours. Did you do all the trees? All the castles? The Lucaria academy rooftops? Not just dungeons but hidden areas inside dungeons? The Great-jar trial? The amount of content is way too insane that a mere guide could have helped you through it. At best you only saw the "main" optional stuff.

If you're fine with that and you thought a 99 level character was enough to beat the game, good. But many people still seem to struggle at that level and the answer is simply leveling up more, maybe stumbling into new equipment. Just go look for suspicious spots in the map that haven't been marked yet and go see what they're all about, you're 90% sure to stumble into something. Or go to spots you already went through if you remember areas that looked reachable but you couldn't get to them.
Yeah I did all that. Great jest dudes died in 3 minutes. I am using 2 colossal weapons. Crusher and ghizza wheel.
I admit, I kinda ran through heligtree. But I did ask the bosses and most paths there. It was an ass area so I didn’t too my time.
Again, I don’t know what I don’t know I am missing but I watched bunch of lobos too on twitch and didn’t saw anything new.
I just don’t kill all mobs. I think they expect you to run around them most of time

Guilty_AI

Yeah I did all that. Great jest dudes died in 3 minutes.
I'm not talking about alexander, its this guy

elden-ring-great-jar-quest-guide.jpg

And you don't fight him, you fight three summons at his feet. At the end of the trial you get the great-jar arsenal which increases your carry weight.

Its also worth mentioning that if you didn't follow rannis quest, you missed this entire area
Eldr-sec-lotlk-mnl-alt-2.jpg

tassletine

wow man that's an amazing discovery. I'm sure you have something to back this up, maybe a source? There are people in the community who keep analyzing those games on code level I follow and I don't recall them ever pointing that out, I'm sure they would love to hear from you.
It's not a discovery as such so take it with a pinch of salt. I know a lot of game developers, and they talk about things like this the entire time. Games are not what you think they are, most of the times there's a lot going on behind the scenes.

It was discussed a lot back when Dark Souls came out so I've always taken it as verbatim, and it certainly fits into the pattern (in my experience) with the combat based around randomised dice rolls.
Have you ever been one shotted by a boss immediately when you went through the gate? That's happened to a few times (literally no chance to dodge/ anything) so it follows that you wouldn't want that happening when you first meet that boss. So whilst those one shots were dice rolled to 100 aggression the intro to those bosses are set to neutral to build up to the fight. This isn't an uncommon game mechanic and specific to Souls though.

The only thing that I can offer as definitive proof in From's games, is that it is definitely in the game design on a practical level. For instance Rom doesn't attack you until you attack the first time, so you can one free hit in. There are a few bosses like that. From are always trying to mess with your mind to offset that fact they seem very resistant to updating their mechanics. Probably because they're not particularly good coders. It's a shame really.

Which region is that..?
Haligtree region, the only way I got there was with the half of a medallion I got from the girl with wolf in the end of a cave. She only talked to me after I met the hidden old man. I had to look it up because I couldn't progress her quest at all, then I found out I missed the guy. I missed two NPCs in that village, I don't know if I explored it too soon or something.

Last edited:
Haligtree region, the only way I got there was with the half of a medallion I got from the girl with wolf in the end of a cave. She only talked to me after I met the hidden old man. I had to look it up because I couldn't progress her quest at all, then I found out I missed the guy. I missed two NPCs in that village, I don't know if I explored it too soon or something.
These things are cool and all, but it bugs me that 99% of us would never see these areas if it weren't for the whole Internet working together to find the secrets..

These things are cool and all, but it bugs me that 99% of us would never see these areas if it weren't for the whole Internet working together to find the secrets..
There might be another way to get there, this is my first playthrough (110h so far).

It's a really fascinating game, I haven't even finished it and I'm already thinking of my second playthrough.

Last edited:

Dragon_Rocks

Gold Member

Its not Haligtree directly but we will miss the Consecrated Snowfield region from where Haligtree is accessible. So pretty much 2 areas.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm not talking about alexander, its this guy

elden-ring-great-jar-quest-guide.jpg

And you don't fight him, you fight three summons at his feet. At the end of the trial you get the great-jar arsenal which increases your carry weight.

Its also worth mentioning that if you didn't follow rannis quest, you missed this entire area
Eldr-sec-lotlk-mnl-alt-2.jpg
Yeah i forgot going there caelith huh.

Dude's running a Dex/Int build but he's not using a Moonveil. Ok.

Realistically he's probably just a spell spammer anyways, summons his Mimic Tear or whatever and just stands back and spams.

Yes, this is the world's richest man, CEO of Tesla and SpaceX, owner of Twitter, etc. etc.

Dude has always been a gamer

Meicyn

Gold Member
Every god damn Souls game I roll with STR build, medium/heavy armor and Zwei/Claymore/Bastard sword. Keep hearing about these amazing builds but... 🤷‍♂️
STR build is great, hold strong. I beat the hardest boss in the game with an ultra greatsword before they got patched, everything is viable.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

David Rawlings, a Sword Master and founder of the London Longsword Academy, breaks down some of the weapons from Elden Ring, everything from katanas and flails to giant anchors and turtle shell shields.

Weapons Featured:

Intro: 00:00
Broadsword: 00:27
Uchigatana/Katana: 02:57
Nightrider Flail: 04:35
Shotel: 06:40
Rogier's Rapier: 09:18
Zweihander: 12:32
Battle Hammer & Turtle Shield: 14:18

Gandih42

Started the game up for the first time last night and played for about 30 minutes. Entered a small underground ruin, opened a chest, it was trapped and teleported me to a cave full of creepy bug men that almost insta kill me with a homing multi-sperm attack. 10/10 can't wait to go back.

Also, holy shit some parts of this game look amazing. I'm super impressed and weirded out FromSoftware made this. Good for them that they get to try something new in a sense, with the whole open world thing.

Decided to start an lvl 1 char before I clean up the game on my main.

It's pretty interesting realizing how easy it is to upgrade your weapon once you know where to look or how Godrick's Great Rune is going to be such a massive buff for a run like this, not to mention spirits.

I don't remember having such low HP when I tried it in DS3 though, I'm scared.

SJRB

Gold Member
What level do you recommend someone be before starting the
Volcano Manor
?

> 75 I guess, depending on your build of course.

If you walk outside and fight that salamander you immediately get a pretty good indication whether or not you're ready.

Mr Moose

where did this dragon go? It disappeared for me, cant find it.
If you continue her quest you'll meet it again and be able to kill it right before the end of her questline.
Edit: It's in the place on the map in that image.

Last edited:
Top Bottom