• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Hey Blinkin

Maliketh might be were I rage quit this game. I'm so goddamn frustrated. Even with coop help I just can't beat this fucker.

Any advice??

Edit: Nm, only needed to fight him 20+ times for me to be able to finally beat him.

Last edited:

Dragon_Rocks

Gold Member
Maliketh might be were I rage quit this game. I'm so goddamn frustrated. Even with coop help I just can't beat this fucker.

Any advice??

Level, build, weapons, spirit ashes? The pillars give good protection (he can still hit you from behind it but most of his bullshit projectiles get blocked).

Hey Blinkin

Level, build, weapons, spirit ashes? The pillars give good protection (he can still hit you from behind it but most of his bullshit projectiles get blocked).

I finally beat him. I could get him down to just a sliver of life each time, but I'd keep finding ways to die.

I've definitely had to fight a few bosses multiple times, but Maliketh made me want to bash my head into the wall.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Any advice??

Edit: Nm, only needed to fight him 20+ times for me to be able to finally beat him.
Maliketh is where I rage quit the game several weeks ago and haven't been back since.

I'm guessing... I was close to the end of the game?

MadPanda

Banned
Guys, is it possible to reach that area west of stormveil? It's some kind of an island which I couldn't find a way to get to. I finished everything but I'm intrigued by that area. Not that it would change something after 140+ hours.

PacificNW

I finally beat the game after 175 hours. I leveled up to 175. Never played any of the previous Souls games. Knew of their difficulty, but nothing beyond that. Watched a couple minutes of the thirty minute gameplay video that the dev made about a month before release. Was blown away. Turned it off and am glad I did. I went dark till release.

Chose the Samurai cause I like using bows and arrows in games and having a katana is also fun.
Struggled for a fair bit in Limgrave trying to figure out the game mechanics while also dealing with the difficulty.
Beat Godrick after dying a whole lot. Had to go farm and level up. I didn't understand that I could keep talking to that feisty lady close to the boss door and have her help me fight Godrick. Once I left Stormveil and saw the view to Liurnia I was sold and blown away at the same time. I didn't understand how a game could look so beautiful. There is always some issue, but not this time.

That feeling of awe didn't stop still I beat the game. Pair that with realizing that every area you visit is intricate and not as "simple looking" when you see the place from far away. I missed so much stuff in my first run though. Once I beat the last optional boss, I went back to areas to explore it without fear of dying every five feet and found so many areas I never saw.

I think the people who designed the Lands Between did a phenomenal job. No part of the environment was an afterthought. Every inch was cared and loved for. Every aspect of the game is incredible. Which is also something I dont understand. In this day and age of half baked games being released. From comes out with this masterpiece of a game.

10/10 game for me. Im still in awe of the game after beating it. I want to start a second character and do more quest lines and have more fun.

Bravo From Software, Bravo.

Mr Moose

Guys, is it possible to reach that area west of stormveil? It's some kind of an island which I couldn't find a way to get to. I finished everything but I'm intrigued by that area. Not that it would change something after 140+ hours.
The starting area? You can get there again with one of the teleporter things at the 4 belfries.

Dragon_Rocks

Gold Member
I finally beat him. I could get him down to just a sliver of life each time, but I'd keep finding ways to die.

I've definitely had to fight a few bosses multiple times, but Maliketh made me want to bash my head into the wall.

Good to know. BTW have you met Malenia yet?

SJRB

Gold Member
One thing I didn't get is why was Vyke considered the tarnished closest to become Elden Lord (if thats what it meant by *Item description spoiler* "No other Tarnished was closer to the throne of the Elden Lord than Vyke" and not in terms of distance). What did he achieve to get that hype? None of the of the shard bearers, demi-gods etc. had been slain and we did all the work. So what did he do to be considered like that?

There's a bit of lore and speculation here:

I even think it's Vyke on the game cover, and not the player character.

SSfox

Loved this game from A to Z, and i think it's gonna be GOTY and even GOWR that i stan for won't be able to beat (but sure we'll see). But there is something i like the least about ER compare to all other FS is the NG+, there is absolutely no challenge the game is really too easy in NG+, i have to make other new builds to find some challenge again.

Wonder if there will be DLC, gonna be day one for sure if that's the case.

Aesius

Loved this game from A to Z, and i think it's gonna be GOTY and even GOWR that i stan for won't be able to beat (but sure we'll see). But there is something i like the least about ER compare to all other FS is the NG+, there is absolutely no challenge the game is really too easy in NG+, i have to make other new builds to find some challenge again.

Wonder if there will be DLC, gonna be day one for sure if that's the case.
Yeah, I mentioned earlier that I started up NG+ and got halfway through Stormveil and just gave up. There's really no point in going through the game again. I already got all the achievements and did all NPC quests. For a game this size, it should have a boss fight mode after you beat it IMO. I'd love to go back and re-fight some of them but I don't want to play through the dungeons again.

Dragon_Rocks

Gold Member
Yeah, I mentioned earlier that I started up NG+ and got halfway through Stormveil and just gave up. There's really no point in going through the game again. I already got all the achievements and did all NPC quests. For a game this size, it should have a boss fight mode after you beat it IMO. I'd love to go back and re-fight some of them but I don't want to play through the dungeons again.

They should have made the Mausoleums to be like memory of boss fight where you can fight them again and get a duplicate remembrance.

ryzen1

So I've started playing my first Soulsbourne game.
Due to the level of difficulty I haven't touched one yet :p

I started Demon's Souls a few weeks ago and I'm nearly done. I was surprised it wasn't even that hard.
There were some things were I had to stop playing, due to stress level :D But at the end it worked out.

Now I'm really interested in Elden Ring.
Was watching some gameplay on Youtube...and..holy shit.
I have a feeling this is really really unbalanced. What are all these one-hit moves?

Demon's Souls seems pretty fair... failures did hit hard. But didn't necessarily result in a complete reset.
On the other hand, Elden Ring seems to punish you extremly hard for a single failure.

This is supposed to be a challenge, I know. But I hesitate to buy the game now.
Am I just wrong and just watched some idiots on Youtube or is it really that brutal?

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Some fights are very brutal, many are not. The big difference is the open world. If you're struck somewhere you can go anywhere else and level up/get stronger while exploring. Also the game is like 5 times bigger than Demon's Souls. I'm not very good myself but manage to beat it. You need patience and some determination, but the game is amazing.

SJRB

Gold Member
Some fights are very brutal, many are not. The big difference is the open world. If you're struck somewhere you can go anywhere else and level up/get stronger while exploring. Also the game is like 5 times bigger than Demon's Souls. I'm not very good myself but manage to beat it. You need patience and some determination, but the game is amazing.

That's my favorite part. Instead of railroading the player it gives total freedom.

Stuck? Just go elsewhere, get stronger and return later.

So good.

I hope this game gets a Boss Rush/Replay mode before the inevitable paid DLC comes out. I’m specifically leaving my first character alone so he’s not NG+ for the DLC, but I still wanna replay bosses with that build. Maybe I’ll replay Sekiro so I can Dexfag in a different game while I wait. Honestly I can’t decide if I wanna replay Elden Ring, okay Sekiro, or play an older Souls game.

Fools idol

Banned
how the fuck do you deal with the snowfield evergol invisible assassin dudes that just appear and backstab you? (im at the emerald looking city place to light the 4 thingies)

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
So at some point you can survive these "one-hit attacks"?

Elden Ring really isn't that hard, my dude.

The game has several items and mechanics to make things easier for you, if you choose to. Due to the open world nature I'd even wager this is the easiest From game to date. But you still have to pay attention, if you run around like an idiot you're gonna get bodied.

how the fuck do you deal with the snowfield evergol invisible assassin dudes that just appear and backstab you? (im at the emerald looking city place to light the 4 thingies)

You can get a torch that reveals them. It's called the Sentry Torch and it's sold by the merchant at the Hermit Merchant's shack.

That area sucks.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
Elden Ring really isn't that hard, my dude.

The game has several items and mechanics to make things easier for you, if you choose to. Due to the open world nature I'd even wager this is the easiest From game to date. But you still have to pay attention, if you run around like an idiot you're gonna get bodied.

You can get a torch that reveals them. It's called the Sentry Torch and it's sold by the merchant at the Hermit Merchant's shack.

That area sucks.

Thanks. Yeah, this place is driving me nuts. I just want to gtfo.

Balboa

Just figure out where the ladders are before you use the portal, makes it a lot easier

Bartski

Gold Member
torches are permanent unlocks so you can corpse run it with relative ease imo

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Any idea about the best all around Staff. Getinng bored with the Meteorite one lol

Also, I'm from good (for real) but lately I've been taking names like nobody's business. So weird. Not complaining tho

Last edited:

DOW

There is a vendor that sells a sentry torch that reveals them. He’s outside of the capital if I recall correctly. If you equip it in the your left hand then double hand your sword it stays lit and will continue to reveal them.

But, if you’re fast enough you can just avoid them and get up the ladders.

Last edited:
I would agree with this, but the last stretch of the game is annoying as hell no matter where you go 🥴

I used the rune farming trick that gives you 1 million souls every, like, 20 minutes, and I’m glad I did lol

Gaelyon

I do agree the late game is very unforgiving. I did farm a few times at the blood spot with the red rot raven, it help me pass farum azula and some late bosses. Maliketh was surprisingly easy to me, i nearly kill it first try then beat it the 3rd run (with mimic of course), but the last boss take me two days. After struggling a lot i changed my weapon and used the moon great sword and the magic arc slashes destroyed Radagon in a few hits.

Just picked the game up for PS5. Does HDR work properly or it is another botched implementation? It looks great to my eyes on my LG OLED. But I notice when I toggle HDR on/off in the settings, it seems like it does nothing. HDR stays enabled according to my TV.

Balboa

I started this game 3 weeks ago and spent the first 10-15 hours thinking I'd never be able to beat it and was ready to quit, now here I am 3 weeks later finishing Journey 3 on one of the best games I've ever played!

Completed the entire first playthrough from Margit to Malenia using the no frills Lordsworn Greatsword you find at the start of the game, two-handed with heavy strength scaling and the Lion's Claw ashe of war and I slowly started to decimate everything, obviously once Mimic Tear got added into the mix it just became comical. Elden Beast and Malenia provided the greatest challenge but I still managed to drop them within an hour after learning their attacks. I tried respeccing to "better" weapons whilst I tied up the loose ends after finishing the game but ended up dual wielding Lordsworn and Knights Greatsword for Journey 2, and then dual wielding 2 Knights Greatswords for Journey 3 it's like my signature at this point. I did try some Colossal swords but it's just so damn slow, greatswords imo are the perfect blend of power and speed.

Overall loved everything about the game, it's just pure gaming with no bullshit

ebevan91

Any idea about the best all around Staff. Getinng bored with the Meteorite one lol

Also, I'm from good (for real) but lately I've been taking names like nobody's business. So weird. Not complaining tho

I'm using Carian Regal Scepter now. I used Meteorite for like 95% of the game and didn't start using Carian Regal until I was able to upgrade it to like +8.

Anyways, I just beat Melania. She took me a couple hours yesterday and a couple today to figure out. I just spammed Adula's Moonblade on phase 1, then Comet Azure on phase 2, then finished her off with Adula's Moonblade. Got 4 level ups out of beating her lmao. Eventually managed to consistently beat phase 1 without taking damage, or taking minimal damage.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Thanks' I'll take a look 💗

I see acquiring needs some nps involved and besides I'm only as 36. I'll keep an eye for it tho, thanks

Last edited:
Just picked the game up for PS5. Does HDR work properly or it is another botched implementation? It looks great to my eyes on my LG OLED. But I notice when I toggle HDR on/off in the settings, it seems like it does nothing. HDR stays enabled according to my TV.
For me the game looked like ass with HDR on. It was just bright and washed out. I kept it off. Only game I can remember doing that for.

I started this game 3 weeks ago and spent the first 10-15 hours thinking I'd never be able to beat it and was ready to quit, now here I am 3 weeks later finishing Journey 3 on one of the best games I've ever played!

Completed the entire first playthrough from Margit to Malenia using the no frills Lordsworn Greatsword you find at the start of the game, two-handed with heavy strength scaling and the Lion's Claw ashe of war and I slowly started to decimate everything, obviously once Mimic Tear got added into the mix it just became comical. Elden Beast and Malenia provided the greatest challenge but I still managed to drop them within an hour after learning their attacks. I tried respeccing to "better" weapons whilst I tied up the loose ends after finishing the game but ended up dual wielding Lordsworn and Knights Greatsword for Journey 2, and then dual wielding 2 Knights Greatswords for Journey 3 it's like my signature at this point. I did try some Colossal swords but it's just so damn slow, greatswords imo are the perfect blend of power and speed.

Overall loved everything about the game, it's just pure gaming with no bullshit
Your experience basically summed up my feelings with the original Demon's Souls.

And then again with every subsequent From game, expect I no longer felt I wouldn't be able to finish them.

For me the game looked like ass with HDR on. It was just bright and washed out. I kept it off. Only game I can remember doing that for.

It’s def bright and maybe washed out for me too but I haven’t played without HDR yet. How do you toggle it off if the in-game setting doesn’t work??

Fools idol

Banned
I just watched a streamer beat Melania using only a shield bash attack and take no hits at all and now I am contemplating jumping off a bridge. She's killed every character I have 20-30 times each and I just cant off the bitch.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It’s def bright and maybe washed out for me too but I haven’t played without HDR yet. How do you toggle it off if the in-game setting doesn’t work??
WW2WJJA.jpg

Moochi

Alternatively, watch for footprints, run away, turn around, and spam the massive aoe weapon art from the ruins greatsword. It just juggles them until they die.

Last edited:

Any advice??

I beat it like this: Blasphemous Blade + Mimic Tear (wearing the enemies attraction talisman which I dropped on my character after the Mimic was summoned)

On phase one I left the Mimic go aggro against it while I spammed the Blasphemous blade's special from a decent distance. On phase two as I spawned (the mimic was still alive) I used Ezekyel's Decay incantation on Maliketh to spew him with rot, once the rot got him I tried to avoid him until it died.

Cheesy strategy but it worked

Top Bottom