• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring is a crowning achievement for open worlds & is quite possibly the greatest game ever made.

I thought like this until my realisation that the game isn’t designed for 100% runs.

You can do a fresh play through in like 10 hours if you know what items you want and plan accordingly.

I think the gradual mastery of the world through game knowledge is where the joy of Elden Ring is.
You can do that in the other games too. It’s called a casual Speedrun. The difference is you can do a faster run in the other games and still play most of the content; in ER to not take forever you’d have to skip a lot.

But half the novelty of Elden Ring (besides the new setting/lore), is supposed to be the open world. I got a Souls-like open world and it was good, but I don’t see the point in rushing through it like that. I had a comfy playthrough of it and I’m satisfied with that.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Bosses? world assets? combat animations? Caves? Recycle X5 & mix. Winning formula.

Say we send gamers back to caveman-era gaming with no way to pause? Force folks online to garner bits & pieces of the incoherent storytelling? Absolutely brilliant design & nothing wrong there!

Towns? Villages? Inhabitants? Any actual world interaction? Fuck that. Take your braindead one-liner NPCs & enjoy it.

Elden Ring AI: If boss see MC -> attack with janky animations till MC dead. Else -> Nothing. Just roam round damn spot forever like a moron.

Same mediocre FromSoft tech? *Overworld Stuttering Intensifies*

ER's an Iteration. Not an evolution. Same shit Souls have been about, but HEY NOW here's a horse! an open world hub! We added jumping!
Saying that these "major additions" are groundbreaking for open-worlds is subjective, but incorrect imo.

Okay but very flawed game. Lotta what's being hailed here have already been done elsewhere & better.
The illusion that something MUST revolutionize in order to be a master piece... Most stuff just have to improve in existing formulas.

BossLackey

Gold Member
From the comments, I see the pendulum has begun to swing the other direction haha. Though I get it. For people that aren't fans of the series or game, it has to be annoying to hear non-stop praise laid on Elden Ring.

But the thing is...it really is that good to me and a lot of people. It's more flawed than most of FROM's games since Demon's Souls, but that almost entirely stems from the open world nature. BB is often cited as their "best" game, and although I completely agree, it's significantly smaller in scope. Elden Ring has easily triple the amount of content in BB which is insane.

And although Elden Ring has these flaws, it also evoked feelings I don't know I have ever felt in a game before. The mechanics, world, lore, gameplay, and music all coalesce into these perfect moments. It feels like a massive adventure and it's just so dense and so hand-made for an open world game that you have no good idea of the scope. It doesn't feel like it has these hard lines of "this is where the map ends". It feels like it goes on forever. At risk of sounding hyperbolic, it felt like playing Ocarina of Time for the first time as a kid and realizing how truly special games could be. It felt like I wasn't quite sure what was possible in video games anymore. But I'm 33 years old and jaded and it still evoked that feeling I hadn't felt since I was 10. That is the magic of this game and it's about the best compliment I can give a game.

Elden Ring truly is an achievement in my opinion.

BbMajor7th

The illusion that something MUST revolutionize in order to be a master piece... Most stuff just have to improve in existing formulas.
It's a hot take for sure, but I don't think it's completely wrong-headed. ER might actually be a step back in some respects - it feels formulaic (cave, catacomb, mining tunnel) in a way that other Souls never really did (outside of Bloodborne's Chalice Dungeons). Finding that first mining cave in Limgrave was cool, finding another half a dozen scattered across the world, each tuned for a particular level of Smithing Stone (and an appropriate level of difficulty) felt artificial. All of these are well designed - expertly designed, in fact - but they undoubtedly feel artificial and this is one big problem in ER: the open world is immersive and believable but fairly empty; the dungeons are formulaic and artificial, but normally have cool fights, encounters and loot. The secret is to marry the two: a believable world that's interesting to explore and filled with cool encounters and loot that never seem repetitive - which is basically what every Souls game prior to ER was. As I said, it's a bit of a step back.

Last edited:

M1987

The fact that this is my first souls game & still playing it regularly after one year on my sixth character, speak for quality of this game.
Usually when I finish the game it is over & rarely I do replays. This is not case with Elden ring & I'm glad it was my first experiance in souls universe.
You need to play the others if you haven't already

BossLackey

Gold Member
It's a hot take for sure, but I don't think it's completely wrong-headed. ER might actually be a step back in some respects - it feels formulaic (cave, catacomb, mining tunnel) in a way that other Souls never really did (outside of Bloodborne's Chalice Dungeons). Finding that first mining cave in Limgrave was cool, finding another half a dozen scattered across the world, each tuned for a particular level of Smithing Stone (and an appropriate level of difficulty) felt artificial. All of these are well designed - expertly designed, in fact - but they undoubtedly feel artificial and this is one big problem in ER: the open world is immersive and believable but fairly empty; the dungeons are formulaic and artificial, but normally have cool fights, encounters and loot.

This is always the complaint I hear leveled at ER and it's 100% valid. But I can't help but feel like it's throwing the baby out with the bath water. These sections are formulaic and get boring pretty quickly and even worse, they are terrible for the balance of the game. But they're such a small piece of the game compared to everything else. It feels very "pointy elbows" to me lmao.

EDMIX

Way too repetitive for me, I stopped playing at some point. Being open-world killed the game. What's the point of a huge-ass world if everything takes ages and is copy/pasted ? Interesting content is diluted to no end. Can't keep up with this shit anymore, I have a life, a work, kids. I can't spend 120 hours in a game that should have lasted 40 hours and would have been much better in the process.

Long live Sekiro.

Same.

I don't mind repetition as most games have em and some of my favorite games of all time have this type of style, but I feel those looking to ignore this and exaggerate the title like a thread like this, need help lol The open world is literally pointless. We are not talking about a Zelda thing where there is a dark world, we are not talking about a God Of War thing where you literally have a dog fucking turn a whole realm into night or day to solve a series of puzzles....you just got a open world to fight bosses, thats like me fucking saying AC Valhalla or Origin or something is "crowning achievement for open worlds and quite possibly the greatest game EVER MADEZ" lol Its like holy shit, I like the AC games, but I don't go as far as to say some weird shit like that based on liking a game. I also know I like things that are not out here breaking the mold. Thats ok folks.

Sekiro was 100% the better more interesting game. We should have gotten a sequel to that instead.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ah, OG 2 is the version I never played and you can't seem to buy it on PC anymore. Not at a reasonable price, at least.

If I could get an analog deadzone fix to actually work, I'd be happier. 2 has a lot to offer, and they shouldn't have abandoned all of it.
the deadzone is strange... was it always there? Even on ps3 and 360 original releases? I only noticed it on my last playthrough on sotfs hmmmm

GymWolf

ER probably has BotW beat too, in terms of build variety, indoor and outdoor locations, even NPCs (limited as they are in FromSoft games) respond more meaningfully to your actions in ER than they do in BotW and can even influence the ending of the game.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why this is a good thing and not just a very obvious gimmick.
You are gonna wait for a while then.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I can understand why some would think this. It was a solid 8/10 for me. I haven't enjoyed any other Fromsoft game I have played (Bloodbourne, DS 1) so this is high praise.

Fredrik

Anthony Bourdain Yes GIF by Ovation TV

DragonNCM

By Fluid I mean being able to chain your various abilities easily together. E.g. easily going from melee attack to bow to rot attack in a split second. The core combat is pretty fluid in souls but switching spells or items etc is very slow and awkward especially on a Controller. ( I did find out there was quick item swap you could implement after I finished the game but hey ho)

You seem to be arguing that souls feels better and is more Satisfying which I would agree with! I'm arguing about the amount of options you have during battle and I think in this regard Kenya beats Souls game.

Not saying Kenya is better game. All souls games are much better overall than Kenya
I think combat like this is in core of the game from first moment, because quick swap weapons & spells would make game a lot easier. You can't just spam 7 spells and nuke the shit out of everything.
There design for gameplay is very good.You have your ups & downs and you need to learn when to do what. On some bosses one missplay or greed can lead to death. Tou need to be focused & learn from mistakes.
Like I learned meny times😂

Kataploom

Gold Member
Haven't played Elden Ring but some complaints remind me of Zelda BOTW.

Maybe those people that really don't like the "emptyness" of the map don't see that it's one of the things that make other people love BOTW and ER so much.

The fact that you can have time to just take a look at the landscapes with such a beautiful art while letting your mind flow is one of the BOTW strength that some people don't get because they're probable expecting a theme park type of events each inch of the map since they cannot appreciate those types of experiences, but actually enjoying the fantasy of being there seeing the tense calm in the distance is something those games achieved perfectly.

What some may consider a flaw many others consider it a strength, like me complaining about first Resident Evil saving system and controls, many simply enjoy them and don't see them like flaws.

Rea

Personally, the Worst open world game in the history of gaming. I hated the openworld aspect with this game even after i platted this game. And the mechanics of bosses sucks balls. Fromsoftware masterpieces are Bloodborne and Sekiro, they are Fromsoftware's The Greatest games of all time.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Hilarious thread backfire.

Agree with all the complaints. I recently went back to it thinking I must have missed something and hated almost every second of it. There is a GOW Kratos built that went viral recently so I figured id try playing it with the frost axe and magma blades. Almost 8 hours of 'exploring' later, i still didnt even get to the enemies that have a 1/100 chance of dropping the magma blades and the frost axe didnt make the game play feel any different.

Because the enemy design is still absolutely awful. I always had trouble with their stupidly long windup mechanics. Every fucking enemy does this. But what stood out the most this time was just how aggressive and relentless they are. There is no window where you can get more than a few hits in. They all have attack combos that chain up to 5 attacks and within two seconds they have reloaded and launch another five attacks. Every fight with bosses or even smaller enemies take forever because of this ridiculous change to enemy design.

I was watching some high level gameplay and I realized that they wanted this game's combat to be a DPS game designed around maxing out builds. The only problem is that unless you youtube those builds or play on NG+, you wont get that experience until 60-80 hours in when you're overleveled. It took me hours to find the manor that has the chilled Ashes of War. Everywhere i went there was another hidden area where id get lost for a good 30 minutes. This is with following directions. Volcano manor was even more hard to find and then to get inside the entrance is actually hidden. Took forever to find the youtube video that showed which wall is a hidden entrance.

How this is supposed to be fun is beyond me. Give me bloodborne, DS3 and Sekiro over this repetitive copy pasta game with bad combat design decisions.

Razvedka

Banned
Half the reason I cannot stand the Souls series, apart from things like constantly being "the same game" and it's story telling mechanics, are the constant takes like these by it's fans.

They're a solid series. But they're not revolutionary nor innovative and really haven't been in over a decade. They're also not a game that's as hardcore and "skill based" as it's fans insist.

All the fans I personally know who gush about Elden Ring, and every other Souls game, and pretend like it's a true test of skill melt in Doom Eternal on Nightmare and have told me "I think this game is just hard for hards sake. I'm not into that." And drop the game. None of them can even reach Taras Nabad let alone beat it.*

So it's really that the Souls games are the most accessible series that allows fans to posture themselves as being "hardcore". It's the low bar to clear.

And then of course, as stated, due to their rabid adoration insist each new entry is innovative, revolutionary, etc as nauseam.

I really would have so many nicer things to say about Souls if it wasn't for it's fanbase.

Edit: and as for the open world mechanics of ER specifically, I've watched hours of gameplay (largely thanks to my ex) and I'm not sure how its doing anything 'new' in the genre. Now, within the Souls series sure its 'opening the world up' but with respect to Open World Gaming? No.

*I use Eternal here primarily because it's pretty recent, is truly challenging, and imo for an FPS a breath of fresh air. "Innovative" to steal the Souls fans favorite word, but really it's just different.

Last edited:

Sygma

We're at a point where design philosophies from the past are getting celebrated because that one company decided to embrace it. Its been pretty annoying. Elden Ring's open world certainly isn't unique in its design, there have been very strong contenders (Morrowind is just one example), but since its under new paint, why the hell not ? I think the consistency in the game is downright remarkable, but it kinda falls apart in the last third which objectively is over tuned. Also it does have a very few amount of bosses leaving an impact post journey. Even "the blade" was not exactly hard, while the most complete fight in the game happens when you fight the witch early on

That being said, the amount of systems you can have fun with in it is insane, granted you're all about toying with combat

Last edited:
It committed a mortal sin of adhering to the principles of the modern open world game design i.e. templates and copy-paste.

And for that: dismissed.
Pretty incredible how people seem to miss this. To me, it felt like an Ubisoft game but just so poorly done. Dropped it after 25 hours and I think I fought Night Calvary 4 times. I fought 2 dragons who literally had the same moveset, just re-skined. Went through about a dozen copy and paste caves/catacombs, which had repeat bosses as well.

Truly don't get how people like the exploration. Feel like ER does it worse than any game Ive ever played.

BoTW is the only open world game that I feel like truly has innovated over the last decade or so.

bbeach123

Pretty incredible how people seem to miss this. To me, it felt like an Ubisoft game but just so poorly done. Dropped it after 25 hours and I think I fought Night Calvary 4 times. I fought 2 dragons who literally had the same moveset, just re-skined. Went through about a dozen copy and paste caves/catacombs, which had repeat bosses as well.

Truly don't get how people like the exploration. Feel like ER does it worse than any game Ive ever played.

BoTW is the only open world game that I feel like truly has innovated over the last decade or so.

How many time you fight the same enemy and boss and going to the same looking "dungeon" in botw ?

BbMajor7th

This is always the complaint I hear leveled at ER and it's 100% valid. But I can't help but feel like it's throwing the baby out with the bath water. These sections are formulaic and get boring pretty quickly and even worse, they are terrible for the balance of the game. But they're such a small piece of the game compared to everything else. It feels very "pointy elbows" to me lmao.
Oh yeah, it's not a make or break issue, and I did love the game, but it did feel like a step back to me, especially when a lot of the world content outside of the major dungeons is just this kind stuff. It may just be that, for a game world that size, there's no other way to really make it work. You make fewer more complex and unique mini-dungeons and the over world feels even more empty because of it. You make the world smaller and the adventure doesn't feel quite so grand. If I had to chose, I would have probably axed the last major area, bolted the Haligtree on somewhere else (it could go pretty much anywhere) and spent the extra development time on punching up the smaller dungeons throughout the rest of the map.

How so? It's got good map design, a grand sense of scale and really fantastic use of verticality, but these are all iterations on what had come before - most notably in Skyrim. Other than that, it separates regions into biomes with a ubi-tower in the middle, uses copy/paste assets for it's iterative mini dungeons, bandit camps with loot chests all over the shop... honestly, Skyrim and Fallout 3 felt way more innovative as open worlds in their times.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Haven't played Elden Ring but some complaints remind me of Zelda BOTW.

Maybe those people that really don't like the "emptyness" of the map don't see that it's one of the things that make other people love BOTW and ER so much.

The fact that you can have time to just take a look at the landscapes with such a beautiful art while letting your mind flow is one of the BOTW strength that some people don't get because they're probable expecting a theme park type of events each inch of the map since they cannot appreciate those types of experiences, but actually enjoying the fantasy of being there seeing the tense calm in the distance is something those games achieved perfectly.

What some may consider a flaw many others consider it a strength, like me complaining about first Resident Evil saving system and controls, many simply enjoy them and don't see them like flaws.
Yeah. In short I love the exploration.
…and not being limited by invisible walls that make no sense and not being held by the hand like I’m 6. It’s also the complete freedom and the subtle way the world itself tell a story. And the way they reward the exploration. It’s the same with BOTW and Skyrim and even going back to Super Metroid which is my all-time favorite.
Once a dev decide to remove exploration and just serve everything on a silver platter I usually go elsewhere …unless they hook me with amazing action or visuals, that could at least be fun for one playthrough …if it’s not too long.

Last edited:
I think combat like this is in core of the game from first moment, because quick swap weapons & spells would make game a lot easier. You can't just spam 7 spells and nuke the shit out of everything.
There design for gameplay is very good.You have your ups & downs and you need to learn when to do what. On some bosses one missplay or greed can lead to death. Tou need to be focused & learn from mistakes.
Like I learned meny times😂
Yeah I am sure it is! I ve had my fun with it dark souls 1 may be my favourite game ever.

But after over 600 hours or so across multiple games it's started to get old. And I feel other games have built on the combat template of souls and given it far more depth. Nioh and God of war especially have shown you can have far more offensive options and still be hard as hell!

Soodanim

Gold Member
the deadzone is strange... was it always there? Even on ps3 and 360 original releases? I only noticed it on my last playthrough on sotfs hmmmm
I've always wondered, because not everyone talks about it but it's so noticeable on PC. Nexus still has mods for OG 2's deadzone here, if anyone is wondering what it's like but I don't know if that was an issue introduced on PC and consoles don't suffer from it.

Maybe I'll try to pick up an old PS3 copy of the OG and see how that goes, because I might enjoy that a bit more and it will only cost a few quid at this point

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've always wondered, because not everyone talks about it but it's so noticeable on PC. Nexus still has mods for OG 2's deadzone here, if anyone is wondering but I don't know if that was an issue introduced on PC and consoles don't suffer from it.

Maybe I'll try to pick up an old PS3 copy of the OG and see how that goes, because I might enjoy that a bit more
I've got the ps4 version on ps5 few months ago just to check and the problem is there. ps3/360 without any patches is interesting to check

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

Agree with all the complaints. I recently went back to it thinking I must have missed something and hated almost every second of it. There is a GOW Kratos built that went viral recently so I figured id try playing it with the frost axe and magma blades. Almost 8 hours of 'exploring' later, i still didnt even get to the enemies that have a 1/100 chance of dropping the magma blades and the frost axe didnt make the game play feel any different.

Because the enemy design is still absolutely awful. I always had trouble with their stupidly long windup mechanics. Every fucking enemy does this. But what stood out the most this time was just how aggressive and relentless they are. There is no window where you can get more than a few hits in. They all have attack combos that chain up to 5 attacks and within two seconds they have reloaded and launch another five attacks. Every fight with bosses or even smaller enemies take forever because of this ridiculous change to enemy design.

I was watching some high level gameplay and I realized that they wanted this game's combat to be a DPS game designed around maxing out builds. The only problem is that unless you youtube those builds or play on NG+, you wont get that experience until 60-80 hours in when you're overleveled. It took me hours to find the manor that has the chilled Ashes of War. Everywhere i went there was another hidden area where id get lost for a good 30 minutes. This is with following directions. Volcano manor was even more hard to find and then to get inside the entrance is actually hidden. Took forever to find the youtube video that showed which wall is a hidden entrance.

How this is supposed to be fun is beyond me. Give me bloodborne, DS3 and Sekiro over this repetitive copy pasta game with bad combat design decisions.
I agree with all of this. I actually told myself that I wasn't gonna look up weapons and armor or spells and honestly though I've beaten a few bosses, it makes the game way worse imo

Why should I have to look up guides and videos to beat this game 😡

Last edited:

GymWolf

What?

Even with a decent amount of copy paste, the amount of good dungeons, unique enemies, unique bosses, equipmemt and differemt movesets, skills and magic that you can find in elden ring ABSOLUTELY trump botw in any way, shape or form.

That game has some of the worse enemy variety, boss variety, moveset variety, dungeon variety, equip variety ever made in an open world...it feels like a tech demo compared to ER.

Last edited:
How many time you fight the same enemy and boss and going to the same looking "dungeon" in botw ?
Yea BoTW has a ton of repeat in terms of enemies, but the strength of that game isn't combat for me. It's exploration. Yea some shrines are a little copy and paste, like the combat ones but so many are uniques puzzles and the way you find yourself getting to shrines as well.

TheMan

As an open world Witcher 3 probably beats it. Lived in with actual npcs, so many places off the beaten path to explore, towns and cities. Love that you can ride from a town into wilderness and come across some long abandon castle with loot inside.

What?

Even with a decent amount of copy paste, the amount of good dungeons, unique enemies, unique bosses, equipmemt and differemt movesets, skills and magic that you can find in elden ring ABSOLUTELY trump botw in any way, shape or form.

That game has some of the worse enemy variety, boss variety, moveset variety, dungeon variety, equip variety ever made in an open world...it feels like a tech demo compared to ER.
Again, I think you are missing my point. I agree 1000% ER has so much more variety in enemies and combat. I feel like the new Zelda needs to have better enemies and actual dungeons. An updated combat wouldn't hurt either 😀

Speaking strictly from a open world/ exploration part of the game. I felt rewarded for exploring in BoTW as I got a new puzzle to try in a shine and got the same reward at the end each time. I think that part is very important, you can go back to anything you missed in BoTW and still "level up" the same. Not really the case in ER. If you become OP they a complete waste of time

BossLackey

Gold Member
What?

As much as I love BoTW, I couldn't agree more.

ER absolutely demolishes BoTW in almost all aspects.

Zelda gets away with a LOT because of it's name and charm. BoTW is a fantastic game and I loved it, but when I hit the 20 hour mark or so, I became somewhat disillusioned. It was just the same thing over and over. Those first 20 hours were amazing, but I realized that was all the game had to offer and those 20 hours were just copied and pasted.

Elden Ring, on the other hand, while it absolutely has some copy pasted content, has so much more to it than BoTW that it's not even really comparable. Do people either forget or not know that there are ONE HUNDRED AND THREE UNIQUE BOSSES in Elden Ring? And these are the masters of boss design and they made that many. And that's just the unique ones. Not to mention the massive castles, sprawling vistas, mountains, underground areas, swamps, fields, forests, villages, caves, etc. All at signifcantly higher density and fidelity than BoTW. It's so much more diverse than I think a lot of people give it credit for. It feels like we didn't play the same game with some of the comments I see in this thread.

ZoukGalaxy

"is quite possibly the greatest game ever made"
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Seriously, get back to earth man.

As much I love souls games, the "greatest" is absolutely subjective and it's so narrow minded to think like that, open your eyes, perfection is only a point of view.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
As an open world Witcher 3 probably beats it. Lived in with actual npcs, so many places off the beaten path to explore, towns and cities. Love that you can ride from a town into wilderness and come across some long abandon castle with loot inside.

I agree. As much as I'm slobbing on ER's knob in this thread, I think it being open world is possibly the worst aspect of the game. Not that it doesn't do it well, it absolutely does in my opinion. But it also makes sacrifices because of it.

The Witcher 3 feels like a real place. Probably the only open world game that I think does. Elden Ring feels like a dream (which is cool in it's own respect).

Fbh

See I've always thought the concept of THE best game ever is silly because games are way too varied to compared directly. How do you compare Elden Ring with Mario Kart8? or Tetris? or The Last of Us? or Forza Horizon?
But yeah, withing this type of game (open world action/adventure RPG) I definitely think it's the best so far.

It's not just the awesome world design that invites you to actually explore the world itself instead of following waypoints, or the non linear design which often lets you tackle things organically as you come across them. It's also the awesome art direction, the varied environments, the build variety and how weapons have a different feel and not just different stats, the way combat is still largely skill based instead of just being a numbers game, etc.

I think the enemy and boss variety in particular is a big plus compared to so many open world games. BotW has like 4 enemies and 4 forgettable bosses, Assassins Creed throws the same 5 enemies at you for 60 hours and just makes them more spongy over time, Elder Scrolls has a bit more variety but still pales in comparison and has awful combat with awful bosses and the Witcher 3 isn't much better in that regard. I'm playing Forbidden West right now and though it thankfully has some decent enemy variety I'm also only like 20 hours in and they've already recycled the same boss for 2 major fights, etc.
Same goes for the design of actual locations you go to. What open world game has fun to explore, well designed locations like Stormveil Castle? Raya Lucaria Academy? Leyndell?

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member

Some of the rare drops are too painful to base a new build around, you're better off in NG+ for that sort of thing. Especially getting the Magma Blades, that's one of the rarer ones - let alone two of them. If you know what you're doing you can get to that enemy within about 25 minutes of a new game, but the luck is too low to stand any real chance and the enemies are a higher area scaling than you have the gear for.

You're not wrong about delayed attacks, and it really takes some adjusting to. It's indicative of From's gameplay design progress, as they take something from a recent project and run with it. Dark Souls 2 was anti-[everything that worked in 1] to the point of annoyance. Rolls were nerfed, enemies got insane tracking to stop back stabs. When they made Bloodborne, all future games got faster. After they made Dark Souls 3 and Namless King kicked everyone's arse with his delayed attacks, Elden Ring had 400,000 delayed attacks. It's fine if you adapt, and the point is to stop people getting away with panic rolling, but it's almost a meta game From play with long time fans to catch them out and punish what works.

For better or worse, as time goes on it's emphasised the idea that the gameplay is sometimes less about acting and more about reacting. You wait for/create opportunities to safely get hits in. Then if you get good at that and don't play too safely, you can start to stagger enemies/bosses and be rewarded with bonus damage for your efforts.

I will recommend Strength builds to anyone coming into ER fresh, because not only do that absolutely encourage it (Great Axe, Axe talisman, Strength tear all in the first area) but bigger weapons do more for you than smaller ones will (stagger) while also discouraging lots of hits.

But the truth is that you're missing a lot because you're trying to take shortcuts. Of course things are hidden if your solution to everything is YouTube instead of playing the game, what do you expect? Volcano Manor's Rya gives you more and more dialogue that hints towards a hidden wall as you progress through the assignments. If you don't like the gameplay that's fine, but the game gives you so many more options than previous games did and they're all valid. Summon spirits, buff to fuck, find a nice powerful ash of war, craft sleep bombs. You get windows to attack when a summon is drawing aggro for you. Not all enemies have massive combos, you're salty because impatience is punished and it's clouded your judgement. I find it strange that you'll happily take some previous games, but ER isn't that far away from any of them so if you can play them you can definitely play this.

I agree. As much as I'm slobbing on ER's knob in this thread, I think it being open world is possibly the worst aspect of the game. Not that it doesn't do it well, it absolutely does in my opinion. But it also makes sacrifices because of it.

The Witcher 3 feels like a real place. Probably the only open world game that I think does. Elden Ring feels like a dream (which is cool in it's own respect).
I agree with this. A drawback of open world is that it feels less curated. Going back through DS3 after makes you remember how intentional everything is, and that's inevitably lost in open world.

Last edited:

Deanington

Play Daggerfall.
Every open world game is still living under its shadow.
Including the ones you like the most. Yes, even the one you're thinking of right now.

People forget that Beth made games before Oblivion/Skyrim. Even Morrowind was dumbed down after Daggerfall and open world games still struggle to meet Morrowinds standards. Including Beths own games.

Rush2112

Banned
I like bloodbornes aggressive fighting style the most out of all soulsborne games. Elden rings base combat is still mostly dark souls with stagger mechanics and more special attacks.

That's a multiplayer game.
Elden Ring is a single player game with opt-in multiplayer content.

There's exactly 0 technical problem in implementing it like "do not allow players to be invaded while paused, do not allow players to pause while being invaded". It's not rocket science...
It's not like it's fun for the invader, either, to invade someone who's just AFK.
You can disconnect Internet and still play the game
It's an amazing game, one which I enjoyed a lot.

It has some flaws: recycled assets, such as some locations (ruins) and specially bosses. Both camera and feedback when melee striking could also be improved.

That said, imo the "recycled" assets reaction is kinda overblown. There are tons of caves and ruins yeah, but all of them have a distinct tone to them, like having different enemies or different hazards.
It also have tons of good qualities, like an amazing art desing, cool world building and characters, and the action and exploration that has made modern FROM games so fun to play.
Also, having the balls to hide a ton of content and letting the player find it on his own instead of handholding like most games do. Man I wish more games did that.

It might not be "the greatest game ever made", but imo it's up there for sure.
I think this is now the most important "feature" of this game. In a world of never ending tutorials, map and icons this game is really refreshing. It's like playing Legend of Zelda again, this time in 3D and with decades of videogames progress. But the "adventure" exploration part is still as good as before.

And the commercial success it has gives me hope about the future of the industry.

Bosses? world assets? combat animations? Caves? Recycle X5 & mix. Winning formula.

Say we send gamers back to caveman-era gaming with no way to pause? Force folks online to garner bits & pieces of the incoherent storytelling? Absolutely brilliant design & nothing wrong there!

Towns? Villages? Inhabitants? Any actual world interaction? Fuck that. Take your braindead one-liner NPCs & enjoy it.

Elden Ring AI: If boss see MC -> attack with janky animations till MC dead. Else -> Nothing. Just roam round damn spot forever like a moron.

Same mediocre FromSoft tech? *Overworld Stuttering Intensifies*

ER's an Iteration. Not an evolution. Same shit Souls have been about, but HEY NOW here's a horse! an open world hub! We added jumping!
Saying that these "major additions" are groundbreaking for open-worlds is subjective, but incorrect imo.

Okay but very flawed game. Lotta what's being hailed here have already been done elsewhere & better.
Well Done Good Job GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Top Bottom