• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports WRC (Codemasters) coming November 3rd to PS5, Xbox Series consoles and PC

drotahorror

Reveal is looking good. Really need to get a handbrake for my rig. It's part of the reason why I don't play rally games as much as I'd like to.

There's so much torque in DR2.0 you barely ever need a handbrake. If you have a shifter you could use it as a handbrake, and use paddles for manually shifting.

As expected it just looks like a Dirt Rally 3 with a WRC paintjob :messenger_smirking: So long as there's female co-driver & VR support I'm happy enough.

nikos

There's so much torque in DR2.0 you barely ever need a handbrake. If you have a shifter you could use it as a handbrake, and use paddles for manually shifting.

Good to know. I have DR2.0 but haven't played it much. That's another thing, I have an H-pattern that doesn't do sequential. I suppose I could stop nitpicking and try to have fun with it lol.

drotahorror

Lcr7F1l.jpg

Maybe my favorite part from the trailer in terms of looks. Don't think there's been a muddy road with ice in previous dirt games. Looks realistic.

Tommi84

0:47
if this has some EA-standard upgrade your car cards or purchase car parts to increase the performance, I'm going to flip the table.

Obviously, not buying this on premiere. Will wait for others' reviews.

xrnzaaas

The pricing is very weird. Maybe the game will be somewhat barebones before they'll start releasing the seasons or the MTX's will be quite aggressive. Somehow I don't believe EA's good gesture or lower pricing because of the genre. They are definitely greedy and the last proof of that was setting a 70€ price for Immortals of Aveum quite recently. Not to mention they've raised the prices of F1 games.

The pricing is very weird. Maybe the game will be somewhat barebones before they'll start releasing the seasons or the MTX's will be quite aggressive. Somehow I don't believe EA's good gesture or lower pricing because of the genre. They are definitely greedy and the last proof of that was setting a 70€ price for Immortals of Aveum quite recently. Not to mention they've raised the prices of F1 games.
I've seen people claim that WRC themselves are limited the price to under $50.

xrnzaaas

I've seen people claim that WRC themselves are limited the price to under $50.
Maybe there is something to it since Kylotonn's WRC games were priced quite low as well. Even with this price I need to listen to real player feedback first to see if there aren't any big red flags like heavy monetization or limited content.

Hudo

They're using Unreal Engine? I thought Codemasters had their own engine. Weird. And fucking Unreal Engine of all things... oh well.

drotahorror

That isn't this game though, which may even look worse than DR 2.0.

The old Dirt 2 and 3 looked pretty good.

No doubt Dirt 2 and 3 were at the top of the best looking racing games list during that era. They still look very solid.

Based on the WRC trailer, it looks just as good as DR2.0 imo. Some of the mud effects and particles looked super nice, and the road texture at the beginning of the trailer was very high res.

Kruza

As a DiRT Rally 2.0 junkie who still regularly finishes daily challenge events, I'm definitely on board with EA Sports WRC!

I have to admit that I'm actually surprised EA Sports WRC will be sold at $50 and not more from the start. However, I think this is really just a sign to expect a ton of purchase download content coming for this game shortly after its release.

Last edited:

drotahorror

As a DiRT Rally 2.0 junkie who still regularly finishes daily challenge events, I'm definitely on board with EA Sports WRC!

I have to admit that I'm actually surprised EA Sports WRC will be sold at $50 and not more from the start. However, I think this is really just a sign to expect a ton of purchase download content coming for this game shortly after its release.
Someone in this thread said that WRC and f1 games in the future will be $50 due to agreements made.

Definitely a win for the consumer if that’s all that’s about.

drotahorror

Dirt 5 looked really good tho? Pre-ordered on Xbox. Nice price.

I was looking at the engines used in Dirt games (and F1 and Grid) and all codemasters games have used Ego engine up until Dirt 5 and now WRC. Dirt 5 used the same engine as OnRush oddly enough, and of course now WRC is using UE 4?5?

Also people are trippin, Dirt Rally 2.0 still has great graphics.

Hope it will support VR
I worry about the performance. It took me getting a 7950x3D and 4090 to really start to enjoy Dirt Rally 2 in VR on a Valve Index. Now imagine jumping to a new headset with higher resolution panels, and a new game which invariably will have massively increased performance requirements. It makes me nervous. And to be honest... The trailer doesn't instill much optimism for the game even looking better at all. It looks more or less identical to 2, probably just has more content. That's cool and all, but I expected something more for waiting 4 years.

Klik

I worry about the performance. It took me getting a 7950x3D and 4090 to really start to enjoy Dirt Rally 2 in VR on a Valve Index. Now imagine jumping to a new headset with higher resolution panels, and a new game which invariably will have massively increased performance requirements. It makes me nervous. And to be honest... The trailer doesn't instill much optimism for the game even looking better at all. It looks more or less identical to 2, probably just has more content. That's cool and all, but I expected something more for waiting 4 years.
How is that possible? I get 90fps and no issues on higher settings on Dirt Rally 2 VR with Quest2 and rtx 3060ti/i5 12400f.

Rtx 4090/79503D is more than enough for everything you throw at it. You could try F1 23 and see how much fps you get, maybe it will be similiar or better on WRC ( there's no 20 other cars in race so it should run better)

Last edited:

drotahorror

How is that possible? I get 90fps and no issues on higher settings on Dirt Rally 2 VR with Quest2 and rtx 3060ti/i5 12400f.

Rtx 4090/79503D is more than enough for everything you throw at it. You could try F1 23 and see how much fps you get, maybe it will be similiar or better on WRC ( there's no 20 other cars in race so it should run better)

If you have Crowds (graphics setting) on Ultra your FPS can plummet on hardware like mine atleast. I was rocking Ultra everything with 2x MSAA and getting 90fps with Crowds turned off (there are still people on the side of the road). WIth Crowds on Ultra I was getting FPS in the 20's in certain spots with a 6700k and 3060ti. I feel like some graphics settings should come with a warning otherwise people think the game is unoptimized or runs poorly.

Basically if you want to use everything cranked up so the game looks the same as it does on a monitor, you need a beefy GPU to not drop frames. I wonder if you're truly locking that framerate. I bet you're dipping into asynchronous spacewarp territory often if you're truly maxing out the game on a Quest 2 with a 3060 Ti.

Maybe these POS developers should fix some of Generations many bugs, crashes, missing texture on all bodies of water instead of abandoning their game after 3 whole months before releasing a new one ...

One of the worst cases of devs abandoning a game I've seen in recent years

Lets hope the visuals are next gen. WRC games from that other studio looked like they were stuck in the PS3 era.

This is not the same devs as Generations? Hmm ..any idea what the generations devs are working on next so I can avoid that game? They stopped updating Generations just a couple MONTHS after release! Game hardcrashes constantly when trying to play a career. Puddles look like shite. Water with a flat surface and no texture. Ruins immersion every time. Something like that wouldn't be hard to fix buy they don't give a Frick about their customers apparently.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
lol. Kylotonn had the license since 2015... EA bought it last year. They might not be allowed to update it anymore or they just dont give a shit and focus on other projects.

Yea that sounds really strange to me. Either this leak is bullshit or the game is full of MTX.

EA has said this'll be a yearly installment as well. Or maybe it's a deal with WRC? The past few WRC games were $40-$50 as well.
Dirt Rally 2 had a lot of MXT for the extra cars and stages so that's to be expected. With EA I'm expecting them to be more bold with their MXT.

Top Bottom