• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports WRC (Codemasters) coming November 3rd to PS5, Xbox Series consoles and PC

Imho Dirt Rally 2 and WRC 10 both had some problems preventing them from being really great. Rally games never really felt as thought out and enjoyable as the other racing stuff. I love rally, A to B, pure risky driving a bit more than perfecting, learning and repeating one track in circles, but CMR, RBR, Rally Trophy, V-Rally, WRC, all felt less polished than their tarmac counterparts GT, Forza, GTR, GTL, rfactor, Grid, F1.
Does the former WRC team now take over the unlicensed Dirt or whatever they call it or is the rally brand dead now from them? Which would actually suck, allowing EA to reign alone. Or do I forget another rally title now?
The license is imho hardly important for EA but probably was important for the underdog team to have. Codemasters already had the cars in Dirt, the tracks were afaik anyway not real tracks, beside Pikes Peak.

Hopefully codemasters tones down the annoying too often night, rain, and broken lights before the actual night stage stuff in this release.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Finally, I bought WRC Generations on sale cause I needed that fix. But yeah, I dont really like it.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

This is hype. WRC was good, but lacked the Dirt Rally greatness.

And call me crazy, but I replay Dirt 1 on my PS3. I love it too. Peak bloom era aside, its a good simcade on Pro difficulty, the rally stages aren't as hardcore long as Dirt Rally, but not as stupidly short as in the Dirt sequels too. I think they're perfectly fine.

Dirt 5 was a bunch of nothing though. I wonder if this series is dead.

Hudo

This is hype. WRC was good, but lacked the Dirt Rally greatness.

And call me crazy, but I replay Dirt 1 on my PS3. I love it too. Peak bloom era aside, its a good simcade on Pro difficulty, the rally stages aren't as hardcore long as Dirt Rally, but not as stupidly short as in the Dirt sequels too. I think they're perfectly fine.

Dirt 5 was a bunch of nothing though. I wonder if this series is dead.
Fucking finally someone who agrees with me that the very first Dirt game was the best.

drotahorror

$50? EA opened a charity division or this game will be C-tier.

Yea that sounds really strange to me. Either this leak is bullshit or the game is full of MTX.

EA has said this'll be a yearly installment as well. Or maybe it's a deal with WRC? The past few WRC games were $40-$50 as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Hudo

Dirt 2 and 3 were better in pretty much every way
Then let's agree to disagree. Dirt 3 did actually kill of my interest for Codemasters' games for quite some time. Dirt Rally 2.0 is a good sim, I agree. But what made me interested in Codemasters' racing games in the first place was that they were very good at the simcade stuff. I remember playing DTM Race Driver 2 and it was fun as fuck. And the very first Grid is still the best game they've made, IMHO.

Klik

Yea I don't miss that bloomy ass game.

Dirt 2 and 3 were better in pretty much every way. Dirt Rally 2.0 is the GOAT for sims.
If you ever played RBR or AC rally mod you'll know Dirt Rally 2 is somewhere between simcade and sims. Tarmac physics is terrible, hope that will be improved..

Virex

Banned
More rumors, hopefully legit.

French article -
https://www.dealabs.com/magazine/voici-enfin-la-date-de-sortie-du-jeu-a-venir-ea-sports-wrc-29241

Main takeaways -
  • November 3rd for Standard Edition
  • October 31st for Champion Edition
  • MSRP is $49.99 for Standard
So ready for a new Dirt Rally, hopefully Codies delivers. Curious about the $50 though...
It's set with their contract for the WRC license(and there must be 1 game per year). To make games accessible financially to everyone, we'll be seeing lower priced F1 games from 2026 as well. I wish I can tell you how I know this, but I like my job

Last edited:

drotahorror

0ZQTdZ5.jpg

It's goin down!...soon!

Imho Dirt Rally 2 and WRC 10 both had some problems preventing them from being really great. Rally games never really felt as thought out and enjoyable as the other racing stuff. I love rally, A to B, pure risky driving a bit more than perfecting, learning and repeating one track in circles, but CMR, RBR, Rally Trophy, V-Rally, WRC, all felt less polished than their tarmac counterparts GT, Forza, GTR, GTL, rfactor, Grid, F1.
Does the former WRC team now take over the unlicensed Dirt or whatever they call it or is the rally brand dead now from them? Which would actually suck, allowing EA to reign alone. Or do I forget another rally title now?
The license is imho hardly important for EA but probably was important for the underdog team to have. Codemasters already had the cars in Dirt, the tracks were afaik anyway not real tracks, beside Pikes Peak.

Hopefully codemasters tones down the annoying too often night, rain, and broken lights before the actual night stage stuff in this release.
EA owns Codemasters now. This game is being developed by the Dirt Rally team, probably on the bones of the cancelled Dirt Rally 3.

They've been good with VR support so far for dirt rally 1 and 2, hopefully we get it again with some performance improvement in heavy foliage areas.

Would be awesome to have some mod support for new tracks though (and a tire model closer to dirt rally 1). Tire deg is unbelievably bad to the undriveable degree in 2.0.

Interested in this, I liked Dakar Desert Rally last year but really couldn't get on with WRC Generations, just felt too finicky with the controls. Loved past DIRT games though.

Certinty

Honestly, the last few WRC games were better than anything Codemasters have produced in a while.

I wonder where Kylotonn go from here.

drotahorror

Last edited:

Klik

Yeah than I'm in day 0 dirt rally 2 is the greatest rally game ever , there I said it.
Its good game but problem is tarmac physics is really shit. I hope that will be improved because i would love and hope to see Croatia tarmac stages..

Im more hyped about a game since its not gonna be crossgen. Im sure VR is gonna be supported on PC just like F1 23 is. Perfect timing for new Quest 3 headset that will be released in October😁

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
100% will be Dirt Rally 3 but with WRC license. Hopefully an even better game as well. I'm really happy for Codemasters, I'm sure it was a dream of theirs.

Yeah, I like both series though but I prefer the more arcade style from Dirt.

Senua

100% will be Dirt Rally 3 but with WRC license. Hopefully an even better game as well. I'm really happy for Codemasters, I'm sure it was a dream of theirs.
Dirt 3 with longer stages and without the Gymkhana shite would be great fun tbh. Basically what I wanted from Dirt 5...and they fucked it.

Dirt 4 was kindaaa that but there was something missing in that game, just felt so stale. Me thinks it was the procedurally generated stages.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
It's set with their contract for the WRC license(and there must be 1 game per year). To make games accessible financially to everyone, we'll be seeing lower priced F1 games from 2026 as well. I wish I can tell you how I know this, but I like my job
why wait 2026 for F1?
when is F1 switching to new engine

Elysium44

Banned
100% will be Dirt Rally 3 but with WRC license.

Have they said that anywhere? I'd be surprised if it's that hardcore. I am cautiously hopeful over the game, although I don't like Codemasters for the way they nickel and dimed people with the vast amount of DLC.

Senua

Have they said that anywhere? I'd be surprised if it's that hardcore. I am cautiously hopeful over the game, although I don't like Codemasters for the way they nickel and dimed people with the vast amount of DLC.
I think it'll be more forgiving than Dirt rally if they want mass appeal. Similar to their F1 games

drotahorror

Maybe they'll have both arcade and sim handling similar to Dirt 4?

I mean, I don't know if they need mass appeal. WRC 9/10/Generations were pretty hardcore so I would think they're still going to lean and continue more with the sim aspect now that they've acquired the license.

Last edited:

Senua

WRC 9/10/Generations were pretty hardcore so I would think they're still going to lean and continue more with the sim aspect now that they've acquired the license.
That's true, but did they sell well? Obviously these will sell more alone having Codies and EA stamped on the box but I can't imagine they go full Dirt Rally with these, there's a lot of potential here for big sales.. especially seeing how well Forza Horizon does.

We'll see, I'll be happy with both tbh as I've loved these games right from the first Colin Mcrae on the PS1 and enjoy arcadey rally gems

Neon Xenon

After listening to a few Rally videos at work, watching one particularly good Michèle Mouton video, getting in the mood for Rally racing in general, I reinstalled DiRT Rally after years of not playing. I think I'm enjoying it more now, after also playing Art of Rally for many hours.

Even with EA involved (I still have to give them the side eye), I'll keep a watch on this and see how it turns out.

Klik

Going by their Steam page it seems VR won't be supported😓

EDIT: VR is supported but only on PC

Crossplay between PC, xbox and ps5
Better handling
DLSS

Last edited:

nikos

Reveal is looking good. Really need to get a handbrake for my rig. It's part of the reason why I don't play rally games as much as I'd like to.

Top Bottom