• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: EA Sports WRC: PC/PS5/Xbox Series X/S - DF Tech Review - An Engine Change for Better or Worse?

SKYF@ll

You're "cheating" again, you're using zoom. If you get closer you will see that the texture is the same (without zooming in). I want to think that you are not doing it consciously and you simply do not know how it works.

I have already explained it, and also, you have a "possible" explanation above using the PC version. It's something to do with FSR and upscaling, not texture quality.
I don't care about texture.
To make it easier to understand the difference in IQ, I simply arranged them at the same distance, at the same angle, and at the same magnification.
I agree that the upscale quality of the XSX version is low for some reason.
It doesn't matter if the texture is the same.
I think there is other cause of poor image quality besides the sharpening filter.

Lysandros

I don't care about texture.
To make it easier to understand the difference in IQ, I simply arranged them at the same distance, at the same angle, and at the same magnification.
I agree that the upscale quality of the XSX version is low for some reason.
It doesn't matter if the texture is the same.
I think there is other cause of poor image quality besides the sharpening filter.
I applaud your efforts but neither the game's developer or you will convince him to concede anything. He is constantly recreating reality, may be better to leave him to his buble.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Immortals of Aveum developer post from Reddit following DF comparison analysis video:

Pushed fidelity a little bit more at the cost of a notable loss in performance in side by sides. Whenever the performance drops, it's always 5 ~ 10 FPS worse on PS5.

A very odd statement from the developer to say that either is better, when the trade-off is evident in side by sides.

eJV1GrU.png

Last edited:

SKYF@ll

For those interested in investigating, I am getting VERY disconcerting results on PC. I'm diverting the topic a lot and for my part the debate ends here, but as I said I would test the PC version, here they are.

20231204024332-1.jpg

20231204024344-1.jpg

In this screenshot, I'm playing at 1080p and with FSR 3 disabled. That is, it would be playing at native 1080p. However, then I activated FSR 3 and the result will surprise you:

20231204024407-1.jpg

20231204024358-1.jpg

Surprisingly, with FSR 3 activated I get a result extremely similar to the PS5, and with FSR 3 disabled it happens EXACTLY THE SAME as in the Xbox Series X version.

Anyone can verify that I'm not lying. I had to make sure several times that I was not wrong. In case anyone doubts my honesty here, I also put the two screenshots with unlocked framerate and FSR 3 activated and deactivated:

FSR 3 off:

20231204025215-1.jpg

FSR ON:

20231204025330-1.jpg

Why does it look sharper with FSR 3? More tests, I find it very interesting. This shot is of the game with the textures on low and with FSR activated, it still does not match XSX.

20231204030146-1.jpg

Then I tried downgrading to 720p with FSR disabled (textures high), and the image almost fully matches the XSX:

20231204030320-1.jpg

Now, the same shot with FSR 3 in Quality and at 720p:

20231204030346-1.jpg

20231204030350-1.jpg

What I'm seeing here really doesn't make sense. But in short, trying to replicate the PS5 and XSX versions, this is what I get. The XSX version looks very similar to native resolution, and on PS5 it looks like any FSR usage. I miss him? Performance with FSR 3 does not increase, neither in quality nor in balance, only if I activate frame generation.

It doesn't make much sense, it's like FSR doesn't work the way you expect. But the blurring of some textures on Xbox Series X is clearly related to image quality, not related to texture quality. In summary, this would be the "equivalent" way to XSX and PS5 on PC:

XSX/PC 720p/Native Resolution:

20231204031306-1.jpg

¿PS5?/PC 720p/FSR balance:

20231204031328-1.jpg

Performance with and without FSR barely varies, but notice how GPU utilization drops with FSR.
After rereading, your PC test is excellent.
Due to some problem, XSX version of FSR2 is disabled.
FSR2 for PS5 and XSX is Input 720p-Output 2160p (Ultra Performance).
I'm interested in how much FSR2 (2160p) costs on a less powerful console compared to a PC.

DF"Curiously it's also noted that PS5 resolves with a sharper image overall, despite sharing the same base resolution with Series X - a point that possibly suggests a different post-processing treatment between the two."

Vergil1992

After rereading, your PC test is excellent.
Due to some problem, XSX version of FSR2 is disabled.
FSR2 for PS5 and XSX is Input 720p-Output 2160p (Ultra Performance).
I'm interested in how much FSR2 (2160p) costs on a less powerful console compared to a PC.

DF"Curiously it's also noted that PS5 resolves with a sharper image overall, despite sharing the same base resolution with Series X - a point that possibly suggests a different post-processing treatment between the two."
What I mean is that in your first comment, you clearly suggest that the difference between XSX and PS5 goes beyond image quality, and that the PS5 has better textures. I have only shown you that they have the same ones, and that what you point out is a consequence of the XSX image being more blurry.

I'm not sure what's going on with FSR in this game, I've never seen this result before. When you use FSR, the image will typically become blurrier (especially at 1080p or below) and performance will increase. In this game when using FSR, the sharpness increases, the performance remains very similar but the GPU usage goes down. It's like it's completely broken.

Regarding what the developer said on Reddit, honestly, I think they are simply marketing the console that they can sell more units on, and attract some fans in the hope that they will believe that they have a better version and sell more copies (and in fact, it works, Lysandro is going to end up tattooing his phrases).

The reality is that the developer published the .ini of the PS5/XSX versions and they were 1:1, the developer omits the tangible performance advantage in XSX, the study in the interview with DF says that there is parity in the graphic settings, DF too, and on top of that the developer on Reddit says that the performance of PS5 is on that of a 6700XT when this graphics card is completely superior in terms of performance, not only in most games, also in Immortals of Aveum with PS5 settings you get a solid 60fps.

Either this developer is little more than the one in charge of bringing you Twitter or he was simply doing marketing. I repeat, the developer's speech (reddit) would make sense if the performance were the same, or at least very similar. In this case, it is possible that on PS5 they had more room for improvement, but this is not the case. When you have the version with "lower fidelity" 10fps ahead, it is clear that what you gain on one hand you lose on the other. XSX has room to increase its fidelity and lose 5-10fps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom