• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Black Panther Game

Drizzlehell

Banned
Never gave a shit about Spawn. After finding out the creator, Todd McFarlane, tried to fuck over one of my favorite authors, Neil Gaiman, over royalties, I now give even less of a shit.
I don't see a point in depriving yourself of something that's good because of some behind-the-scenes drama. Unless we're talking about someone who's like a nazi or a pedo and they used their work as a platform for their fucked up ideas, then I truly don't give a shit who was the actual person that came up with Batman or whatever.

EDMIX

Never gave a shit about Spawn. After finding out the creator, Todd McFarlane, tried to fuck over one of my favorite authors, Neil Gaiman, over royalties, I now give even less of a shit.

True, but that has never gotten in the way of my appreciation for the story, character etc Todd is a horrible person btw lol

I also think its being ignored that its not like EA could just go out and ask for Spawn or Blade, for all we know those IPs were either not as valuable or Disney's offer was for Black Panther and not for EA to pick what ever they wanted.

People need to factor here that EA does not own Disney, I doubt the went to Disney with some shopping cart and was like "hmmmmm Black Panther IP is on sale this week...hmmmmm" lol

Tedditalk

Yeah, I mean, I was mainly referring to the current trend where every comic book character is being retconned and butchered in order to pander to certain minority, usually done to appease your typical Twitter crowd that's incapable of taking a character at face value and needing to make everything about themselves. Overall I agree that if a certain work is specifically aimed at a certain demographic then that demographic will derive more value from it but on the other hand, if it's gonna be just a well written story then it's gonna have an universal appeal regardless of the theme.

I agree with this. I think much of the problem is the general lack of good writers in general, and corporations are cheaping out by using surface level representation as a hook to get new audiences, while the work is lacking due to the incompetent team behind it. I saw this video that encapsulates much of my problem with much of media writing today. It a good watch.

On the other hand, the best works often have a, if you know, you know quality, where its meanings are incredibly responsive to an individual's unique perspective. This video from hey Arthur is an allegory for 9-11, and it is incredible because of this quality.

My last remarks on this would be do not let the constant deluge of shallow efforts at inclusion to write off the value it can bring to a narrative if well executed. These things are what makes works timeless, and it a quality that should be protected imo.

Why post about something you have no interest in? To rain on the parade of the people who care? What's the point?

OR OR OR you have interest and you're unhappy that something you have interest in is likely not going to receive the treatment you'd like it to receive by a company with an extremely poor track record with a brand new studio with no established experience.

Interesting to suggest that people don't care.

I'm excited for it. BP is a great character, particularly how he was made out in Civil War. Combine that with Wakanda tech and you have the makings for a great single player game. Hopefully the studio can do it justice. Hogwart's Legacy came out of nowhere, this might too.

EDMIX

OR OR OR you have interest and you're unhappy that something you have interest in is likely not going to receive the treatment you'd like it to receive by a company with an extremely poor track record with a brand new studio with no established experience.

Interesting to suggest that people don't care.

holy shit man, that is a lot of assumptions and greatly uneducated. Did you even research who that team is or?

Its from the veteran game developers that worked on Shadow Of Mordor.....

Keep in mind, with the last Star Wars game and Dead Space remake, I just can't fucking argue that is a bad track record lately with signal player games, if EA hated that so much, why would they want this contract to do a single player title?

So if Jedi Survivor and Dead Space Remake is anything to go by, I'd say its worth waiting to at least see parts of the game..

Last edited:
holy shit man, that is a lot of assumptions and greatly uneducated. Did you even research who that team is or?

Its from the veteran game developers that worked on Shadow Of Mordor.....

Keep in mind, with the last Star Wars game and Dead Space remake, I just can't fucking argue that is a bad track record lately with signal player games, if EA hated that so much, why would they want this contract to do a single player title?

So if Jedi Survivor and Dead Space Remake is anything to go by, I'd say its worth waiting to at least see parts of the game..

Numerous studios are studios made up of former developers from other games... it means little to nothing.

Star Wars was made by Respawn and the remake was mostly a shot for shot remaster...

EDMIX

it means little to nothing.

Your claim states

no established experience.

That simply can't be true if they are literally fucking veteran developers.... it means nothing that they have ESTABLISHED experience after you fucking claimed they didn't have it?

If it was nothing, why did you state this? What importance is experience if you are now stating "it means little to nothing" the moment someone corrects you with evidence that contradicts your post?

Star Wars was made by Respawn
Yes...a fucking studio OWNED by EA... are you not understanding something here or? lol

Ironically, ReSpawn is a team made up of industry veterans who created Call Of Duty, to say it means little to nothing cause you are triggered someone called out your post, only to then name a fucking team that was newly formed from another veteran studio is fucking hilarious and shows a deep, deep bias you have for this publisher.

So if you can understand ReSpawn exist and the importance of their experience and that they are under EA, I'm pretty positive you can under stand this team are veterans who made Shadow's Of Mordor.

Shit, 10 years from now when EA is doing some other single player game, you'll probably be like

"Blade game by EA? From a studio with no established experience"

Someone points out their past work and educates you on their experience, brings up how great the Black Panther game did.

"ok but Black Panther was made by Cliffhanger doez"

The fact that you brought up a new formed team of veterans that made Star Wars trying to fucking separate them from EA or something, while trying to bring doubt on a new formed team is fucking hilarious.

the remake was mostly a shot for shot remaster...

The remake was a remake...., your feelings on it are irrelevant in regards to any terminology, its in a completely different engine, next gen only, zero MTX, was received well.

I get you fucking hate this publisher, but it makes a lot of your points hard to understand if you bias is this strong, that you are trying to then ignore a new team, only to then bring up another newly formed team to explain Star Wars as if EA didn't publish it and doesn't own the team as some explanation or some shit lol

Honestly I just hope all this marvel shit flop so hard it goes back being a niche thing. What a pile of souless crap.
Sorry for the rant but damn.

Edit: and yes I know Spiderman/Wolverine are part of that. Thing is Insomniac would nail any title, and I'd rather see them working on new IPs.
While Insomniac makes great games, they never really got the sales until Spiderman.

So they now have the ability to make mechanically sound games without worrying about the sales. Maybe get a random ratchet game here and there.

miklonus

It's funny, and I've been saying this since Marvel Studios became popular: Kevin Feige's movies are a lot of hype. People love the movies, but that love doesn't translate to any other form of media. No cartoons/animation or video games took advantage of the immense popularity of the franchise that began in 2008. Batman Arkham Asylum from 2009 was popular in spite of Nolan doing his first two Batman movies in 2005 and 2008. Spider-Man PS4 in 2018 was popular in spite of Spidey's recent inclusion in the Marvel Studios slate of movies. Both of those two games close proximity to the release of wildly successful movies absolutely doesn't hurt their popularity, and status, but they were able to stand on their own and define their own interpretation of Batman and Spider-Man.

But Batman Arkham and Spider-Man PlayStation (Insomniac) are exceptions to the norm, not the gold standard, even though they both are a gold standard. The comic book-based video games that have come out in the past 44 years have been abysmal, simply abysmal. They're not good. Marvel's Avengers comes out almost 3 full years ago, and nobody plays it. Guardians Of The Galaxy, a game that got much better reviews, even ended up on the game of the year lists of both critics and fans, still did not sell well. The strength of the Marvel Studios movie's did zero to boost those games' sales.

Along comes a studi...publisher not known for making single player games, regardless of the Jedi Survivor example SlimySnake SlimySnake mentioned earlier, with an i.p. that most people wouldn't think of to get a game first, and, well, trepidation ensues.

Forgive the long-ass first post. Didn't think my first post in over a decade here would be about Black fuckin' Panther, but I was over at comicbookmovie and saw an article about it, and immediately shot over here. I really don't see...I don't know. Panther ain't a character I would choose first, especially not from Marvel. I'd go with either X-Men, Spidey, or Hulk. The classics. Not every studio is 2009 - 2015 Rocksteady, or current Insomniac. They do justice to comics, the same way DC animation does. Sadly I've lived a long life of seeing shit comic book adaptations, in both movies and video games.

Larxia

Honestly I just hope all this marvel shit flop so hard it goes back being a niche thing. What a pile of souless crap.
Sorry for the rant but damn.

Edit: and yes I know Spiderman/Wolverine are part of that. Thing is Insomniac would nail any title, and I'd rather see them working on new IPs.
I thought Guardians of The Galaxy was a much better game than Spider-Man to be honest.
Don't get me wrong, I did like Spider-Man, but guardians was much more memorable and unique to me, great adventure, greater story.

Spider-Man mostly felt like the older spider-man games to me but with more polish and with ubisoft-style filler content on the map. I feel like it has some kind of prestige aura around it only because it came out as a Sony Exclusive, but the game itself isn't as perfect as some people make it out to be. The story was also incredibly short sadly.

Guardians of the galaxy was really amazing to me, better than the movies and really a game that I will remember, I'm sad we will never get a sequel.

Anyway about this news I'm confused, I'm sure I heard about this like 6 months ago or more (and no, not talking about the black panther + captain america game).

EDMIX

Probably true... but it would still be a lot cooler to have a Blade or Spawn video game instead.

True, I do like the Blade IP much more (really anything with Vampires lol) , but I completely understand why Disney would push Black Panther and EA would accept that contract. Its a property with massive popularity.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Could work well. Black Panther is more grounded like Batman so I wouldnt mind a action/stealth focused singleplayer game. Hopefully no coop/gaas trash.

Top Bottom