• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Black Panther Game

dotnotbot

Another dead game in the making cause it got greenlighted few years ago when Marvel was at the peak of its popularity and dumbasses in suits couldn't predict its decline

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Such poor reception for a single player focused game from a new studio.

Especially when we’re seeing more GAAS games eating into the AAA space.
Because people are tired of superhero trash. We already got Spidey coming up later this year and Wolverine probably in 2024. It's hard to get excited when superhero crap has been milked non-stop for the past 15 years.

EDMIX

Brand new studio making a AA or AAA game.

Somebody please post the Morgan Freeman good luck gif.

New?

I mean...sorta, but the studio is made up of veterans from Monolith, the people that made Shadow Of Mordor.

Using that logic of doubt, thats like saying "derrrr whoz ReSpawnz? Brand new studio? goooooood luck making da FPZ" It focuses so much on brand "new" and completely disregards that humans create games, so if Monolith's developers are making a game, that is more then good enough for me to look forward to what they do, them forming a new studio, does not mean they themselves are "new" to game development lol

Context is key here.

Its funny, when the shoe is on the other foot, a completely different narrative is used lol

morgan-freeman-good-luck.gif

RedC

Because people are tired of superhero trash. We already got Spidey coming up later this year and Wolverine probably in 2024. It's hard to get excited when superhero crap has been milked non-stop for the past 15 years.
Would those people get excited about an original IP superhero video game?

Rockman33

Honestly I just hope all this marvel shit flop so hard it goes back being a niche thing. What a pile of souless crap.
Sorry for the rant but damn.

Edit: and yes I know Spiderman/Wolverine are part of that. Thing is Insomniac would nail any title, and I'd rather see them working on new IPs.
Super heroes are one of the best candidates for video games. Some of the most fun things to play is when your character goes beyond what a normal human is capable of.

Also besides Avengers what BAD games have come out that are based around super heroes in the last 10 years?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Ok, so it's likely the oversaturation of superheroes, in general, they're tired of.

Understandable.
I mean, yeah. Marvel movies have declined in the box office in recent years. DC movies have suffered even worse. Their TV shows have also taken a hit.

There's just too much superhero stuff. It's insane.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I get that.

I also get that games can cost up to a couple hundred million to make. I can’t blame a publisher for going with a known popular character over something entirely new.

Also, there’s three platforms not getting Spiderman and Wolverine.

RedC

I get that.

I also get that games can cost up to a couple hundred million to make. I can’t blame a publisher for going with a known popular character over something entirely new.

Also, there’s three platforms not getting Spiderman and Wolverine.
Yeah, this is the reality of things.

mdkirby

I'd like a distant past Wakanda prequel, like Atlantis. The more sci-fi they get, the better.
Hmm I don’t know the lore overly well, only seen the first film and not read the comics. Did wakanda regress? Ie were they even more advanced in the ancient past? Otherwise surely the most “sci fi” would be modern day wakanda, which has a ton of fancy other worldly tech but also a lot of nature elements…i expect there’ll be ancient areas within their kingdom still tho that would hold secrets etc

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Hmm I don’t know the lore overly well, only seen the first film and not read the comics. Did wakanda regress? Ie were they even more advanced in the ancient past? Otherwise surely the most “sci fi” would be modern day wakanda, which has a ton of fancy other worldly tech but also a lot of nature elements…i expect there’ll be ancient areas within their kingdom still tho that would hold secrets etc
Yeah, you're right. I'm not really familiar with it and was hoping that was the case. Looks like it's way more into the mystical side.

MarkMe2525

I mean, not a lot to say about it at the moment as we only have a logo. Time will tell how this turns out. There is a lot of opportunity, mechanics wise.

Spiderman doesn't really have the same combat tbh
They are very similar.

Last edited:
A new studio making a game that is presumably a few years out, in a cinematic universe whose bubble has arguably already popped. What could possibly go wrong?

Bridges

I might be completely misremembering but I thought EA had already announced they were making an untitled Black Panther / Captain America team-up game?

Seems odd to have two different BP games in development even if it's not the same dev.

Friendly reminder Batman is the only superhero worth a damn

As for this announcement. Eh it’s alright. I kinda miss when superhero games felt like more of an event? Theyre kinda just doing now what they did in the movie industry and flooding the market and saturating it until event movies are as eventful as an episode of tv

Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers, Iron Man, Black Panther, Wolverine, Spider-Man. Just so much. Then we have Wonder Woman I guess and suicide squad. Every goddamn character gets a game. When I was growing up arkham was huge, you’d see the tv spots during basketball games and shit. And Spider-Man ps4 was a massive spiritual successor. Now it seems kinda run of the mill

gothmog

Gold Member
Seems a few years too late to announce this but I hope it's good. Also skip the live service elements please.

Marvel should be added to the dictionary alongside the description ‘to milk something beyond death’.

Are people seriously not sick and fucking tired of superhero stuff now? Films, TV, games, apparel. Boring.

Also a new studio working on this? They’re going to get eaten alive.

Oh come on. Would you rather have a single player AAA game from EA or yet another soulless GaaS trash?

Star Wars Jedi Survivor is based on an established movie IP. It was an excellent game. The ubisoft game looks even better. Yes, Avengers was a misfire, but thats because Square tried to make it a GaaS game. The actual story when it was just a traditional single player mission was actually rather good.

We should be praising EA for investing so much in single player games when other publishers including sony are focusing more and more on GaaS stuff.

I agree to this, EA has been investing in some good Singleplayer games. This shouldn't go unseen. I have good hopes on this one too.

ProtoByte

According to studio head Kevin Stephens, the former vice president and studio head of Monolith Productions, Cliffhanger Games is built on the “values of diversity, collaboration, and empowerment.”
Black Panther isn't diverse tho. Lmao

Jokes aside, can we just be done with this sham of feelgood corporate "social responsibility" buzzwords? We all know it's bs, and all it'll earn the studio is a Bloomberg or IGN article about toxicity or some shit the second reality sets in for the losers who buy and support this crap, and they realize they're still subject to hierarchy and are expected to perform.

Last edited:
They are very similar.
Just because two things are similar does not mean they are the same. The combat in Spiderman in more dynamic, as Spiderman is more acrobatic and some enemies can only be fought in the air. Batman focus is more on gadgets, and Spiderman is more focused on acrobatic combat.

MarkMe2525

Just because two things are similar does not mean they are the same. The combat in Spiderman in more dynamic, as Spiderman is more acrobatic and some enemies can only be fought in the air. Batman focus is more on gadgets, and Spiderman is more focused on acrobatic combat.
Different window dressing. Similar mechanics and input requirements.

Hudo

Man, come the fuck on, EA. Just a low million sum for a good Tiberian Sun remaster. But no, instead more capeshit.

Last edited:
Different window dressing. Similar mechanics and input requirements.
Well, if you go far enough to break any video game down to core and make comparisons to another in its genre, then you will find all kinds of similarities for different games. 99% of FPS games use RT/R2 to shoot, 3rd person games use X to jump, etc.

To get back on topic, I would be down for a Black Panther game, but if its not about exploring the world and technology of Wakanda, then I dont think the devs would be taking advantage of the license as best as they can. Need more than just a marginal step up from the Black Panther in Marvels Avengers.

Red5

Could be a surprise hit like Guardians of the Galaxy was. If they stay away from the shitty Disney movies and create their own vision then they might have a chance.

Esca

I would have expected an iron man game from ea first. Anthem had great bones to start an iron man game

Top Bottom