• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Black Panther Game

MiguelItUp

Why isn't he?
Because at his core he's just another acrobatic super hero, well and with sharp claws. But that's really it. I had Panther comics as a kid, but even then I loved the way he looked more so than his "abilities". That being said, the studio could still make an awesome game, just depends on their design plan.

They should really make a Blade or Spawn game, which are black characters that white people actually give a shit about.
Man, I'd love a really good Spawn game. Hell, even a solid Blade game would be awesome if done right.

Last edited:
Honestly I just hope all this marvel shit flop so hard it goes back being a niche thing. What a pile of souless crap.
Sorry for the rant but damn.

Edit: and yes I know Spiderman/Wolverine are part of that. Thing is Insomniac would nail any title, and I'd rather see them working on new IPs.

Ah yes, because everyone wanted a Black Panther game. I good game is a good game regardless of demographics ... but still.
I remember when San Andreas was announced and the responses that followed on here. It's nice to see that things haven't changed at all.

I love how this one guy is setting special standards to exempt Spider Man and Wolverine when they're largely Ubisoft/Rocksteady knockoffs.

1) You're not obligated to play this game. You can ignore its entire existence. I know that might be hard given its mere existence offends your sensitive sensibilities.
2) It's a purely single-player title, and not some bogged-down GAAS nightmare. That's already points in its favor.
3)BP can be enjoyed by ANYBODY. The movies sure as hell were. The comics too. Stop being such whiny, fragile bitches. There are myriad games out there that have what you're looking for. Play those instead. I wanted this for a long time and I'm glad we're getting it. And I'm hoping it's good.

Can't wait for it to flop.
Hope it's a huge success just outta spite for stupid comments like this.

Jinzo Prime

People forget how big the first Black Panther movie was, there is an audience for a high quality game in the franchise. Moreover, BP has a lot of potential for making an excellent video game because of his moderate power level. BP can move around a city or jungle environment as well as Spider-Man or Batman, have lots of custom suits like those characters, and can fight fight as well as Wolverine. Marvel should have had a BP game out ASAP after the first movie, they set up a world and character very well.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The last Wolverine movie was released six years ago, and we won't be seeing another one anytime soon. I guess Insomniac are late to the party too.
Wolverine will be in Deadpool 3 with heavy lean on it marketing wise. Maybe even a Deadpool cameo in Wolverine or if it get's a sequel.

Last edited:
I did some digging and it looks like it's a few really senior ex-monolith people.

Their studio lead was the lead engineer during No one lives forever and F.E.A.R, and then he was the entire studio lead when they made shadow of mordor/war.
Their senior art director also spent 25 years there and worked on all those titles.

Might be ok guys. The most senior people already worked together and they've been given an EA budget to hire talent and start over - maybe a life long ambition being realized, which always gets a bit more energy. The studio has been working on this since nov. 2021, so my guess is they're transitioning out of pre-production and this announcement is designed to help them hire the best people possible to burn through full production for the next 2-3 years.
Yeah I don’t care about Marvel stuff, but Monolith historically has been a really good studio during the time he was there (excluding some missteps like Blood II and Contract J.A.C.K.). If I had any interest in Marvel I’d be cautiously optimistic.

ProtoByte

They should really make a Blade or Spawn game, which are black characters that white people actually give a shit about.
While I don't agree with the premise of this statement, I will say that I hope that they tone down the afrofuturist wish fulfillment aspect of Wakanda and make it something more substantial. Don't get me wrong, Wakanda should be an advanced nation, and vibranium an advanced material, but Wakanda as portrayed in the MCU to this point is generic, flat, and ill-fit to the world surrounding it. I can only be wowed by the aesthetic so much before I really start to notice that you've got an advanced nation of people literally chucking spears as a primary military tactic.

I don't think many people at all have really cared about Black Panther as a character as opposed to an idea or a statement since Captain America Civil War. I would hope the game recognizes the opportunity to reestablish that as the primary focus, but who am I kidding. The boss is already throwing around progressive buzzwords and the studio is based in fucking Seattle.

Jinzo Prime

While I don't agree with the premise of this statement, I will say that I hope that they tone down the afrofuturist wish fulfillment aspect of Wakanda and make it something more substantial. Don't get me wrong, Wakanda should be an advanced nation, and vibranium an advanced material, but Wakanda as portrayed in the MCU to this point is generic, flat, and ill-fit to the world surrounding it. I can only be wowed by the aesthetic so much before I really start to notice that you've got an advanced nation of people literally chucking spears as a primary military tactic.

I don't think many people at all have really cared about Black Panther as a character as opposed to an idea or a statement since Captain America Civil War. I would hope the game recognizes the opportunity to reestablish that as the primary focus, but who am I kidding. The boss is already throwing around progressive buzzwords and the studio is based in fucking Seattle.

Black Panther has so much potential but it will probably be wasted. I will hope for the best but expect the worst.

mdkirby

Yeah, you're right. I'm not really familiar with it and was hoping that was the case. Looks like it's way more into the mystical side.

Interesting...I think my biggest concern with the game is that as far as powers go for a super hero game they are exceedingly boring, like an even more boring version of wolverine....I wish they'd make like a dr strange game, or magneto personally. The world sounds interesting tho, and if they tell a good story that's generally all I typically care about in a game.

Drizzlehell

Banned

The premise is that they make all these "progressive" things to pander to an audience that's both in the minority and doesn't give a shit. They should just make a game about a cool superhero that also happens to be black instead of making a game about a boring superhero because he's black. The idea that people want fictional characters to be the same shade of skin or sexual orientation as them is a pure myth perpetuated by terminally online vocal minority on Twitter.

Kdad

Well they have a logo already. That's half the work, right?
Sometimes...its 100%
blueboxgamestudios.png

StueyDuck

but... but.... they are already making a black panther game.

the Amy Hennig curse is happening again isn't it

also is Black Panther really the hero to be going double all in on? it seems like a huge gamble considering it can only really be a lesser batman to play. If they want good advice i'd say make it a splinter cell style game. just punching and doing counters is not going to stack up against spidey or bats who have a lot more items to play with.

Kyle Bosman said it in his recent Ep but Iron man really is the most gamey character you could work with in terms of having RPG elements, plus you have all that Anthem tech, do something with it. I'd back Motive and go all in on Iron man if i was them.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Barring timeless super hero franchises (Batman and Spider-Man) this is 3 years too late. We’re on the other side of the boom.

Doom85

The idea that people want fictional characters to be the same shade of skin or sexual orientation as them is a pure myth perpetuated by terminally online vocal minority on Twitter.

“It wasn’t a huge deal for me. It was a very normal, natural thing…A good deal of our people here in America are not white. You’ve got to recognize that and you’ve got to include them in whatever you do.” - Stan Lee

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Wolverine will be in Deadpool 3 with heavy lean on it marketing wise. Maybe even a Deadpool cameo in Wolverine or if it get's a sequel.
Cool. BP:WF came out last year.

You already played Wolverine?
We know Insomniac's formula. Anyway, did anybody play this yet? Why aren't you breathing down their necks for passing judgement before playing it? Go sit down somewhere.

Your point being?
That the point you were trying to make is asinine.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Because our society ought to reflect its diverse people in every facet of social, political, economic aspect. It is not a myth to want to see yourself represented in all parts of society. Only people who have always been represented and haven't had to think about how it affects them hold that opinion. Hence it is asinine.
I never said that it shouldn't. I said that if they want to make a game about a black superhero then they could at least pick something cooler like Blade or Spawn, because Black Panther sucks.

But to answer your point, I don't think that a normal person would necessarily require their personal traits and characteristics to be imprinted onto a fictional character before they could identify with them. Not unless you're like a narcissist or something. I support diversity in media and the fact that I'm white doesn't stop me from enjoying media featuring other ethnicities, that sounds retarded.

Last edited:

Tedditalk

The premise is that they make all these "progressive" things to pander to an audience that's both in the minority and doesn't give a shit. They should just make a game about a cool superhero that also happens to be black instead of making a game about a boring superhero because he's black. The idea that people want fictional characters to be the same shade of skin or sexual orientation as them is a pure myth perpetuated by terminally online vocal minority on Twitter.

Nah it not a myth, because I create my character in any game where it is possible to be black like me, because I enjoy that stuff. Alot of the corporate pandering is obnoxious and hollow, but the few times where it just a developer who want to make game whom main character happen to be somewhat relatable to me, and it actually a good game game, I enjoy it alot. San Andreas is one of my favorite games of all time for this reason, and I know I am not alone in thinking that.

However, that besides the point of the thread. If the new black panther game is good will be the factor I base my purchase on.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Nah it not a myth, because I create my character in any game where it is possible to be black like me, because I enjoy that stuff. Alot of the corporate pandering is obnoxious and hollow, but the few times where it just a developer who want to make game whom main character happen to be somewhat relatable to me, and it actually a good game game, I enjoy it alot. San Andreas is one of my favorite games of all time for this reason, and I know I am not alone in thinking that.

However, that besides the point of the thread. If the new black panther game is good will be the factor I base my purchase on.
You respond as if I said that they shouldn't be putting black people in games at all.

Tedditalk

You respond as if I said that they shouldn't be putting black people in games at all.

The idea that people want fictional characters to be the same shade of skin or sexual orientation as them is a pure myth perpetuated by terminally online vocal minority on Twitter.

The bold is what I was particularly responding to. That statement is false.

Drizzlehell

Banned
The bold is what I was particularly responding to. That statement is false.
If you're taking about recreating your persona in a video game that gives you an option to customise your own avatar then it's a pretty normal thing. Lots of people do the same, not just you. But we're talking about iconic fictional characters. My point is that they don't need to look or act exactly like you for you to be able to identify with them because it's an universal story about bad vs. evil and you want the good guys to win. If you want to feel inspired by them, then you are gonna feel inspired regardless of how the main character looks like, or what is their gender or sexual preference. The physical prowess and heroic deeds of a hero, as well as the moral dilemmas that they deal with in the story should be universal and that's also something that Stan Lee talked about:

And it doesn't automatically mean that all of them should be white or black or whatever. They can all be green like The Hulk for all I care. What matters is that, even though I will never have the kind of guns that Captain America has, that's not gonna stop me from wanting to hit the weights whenever I watch this scene, lol:
85eb699203fdd109b784a197d013b7c2.gif

The only possible exception to this rule would be a story that explores certain political or social themes that requires the main character to be of a specific background to accurately portray those themes. But again, it's a story that explores the themes and character's backstory, not yours. You may identify with them more closely if those themes hit close to home but you don't necessarily need a self-insert avatar to be present in that story to be able to understand and empathize with it, don't you?

Last edited:

Tedditalk

No, it isn't. If you're taking about recreating your persona in a video game that gives you an option to customise your own avatar then it's a pretty normal thing. Lots of people do the same, not just you. But we're talking about iconic fictional characters. My point is that they don't need to look or act exactly like you for you to be able to identify with them because if it's an universal story about bad vs. evil and you want the good guys to win and feel inspired by them, then you are gonna feel inspired regardless of how the main character looks like, or what is their gender or sexual preference. The physical prowess and heroic deeds of a hero, as well as the moral dilemmas that they deal with in the story should be universal and that's also something that Stan Lee talked about:

And it doesn't automatically mean that all of them should be white or black or whatever. They can all be green like The Hulk for all I care. What matters is that, even though I will never have the kind of guns that Captain America has, that's not gonna stop me from wanting to hit the weights whenever I watch this scene, lol:
85eb699203fdd109b784a197d013b7c2.gif

The only possible exception to this rule would be a story that explores certain political or social themes that requires the main character to be of a specific background to accurately portray those themes. But again, it's a story that explores the themes and character's backstory, not yours. You may identify with them more closely if those themes hit close to home but you don't necessarily need a self-insert character to be present in that story to be able to understand and empathize with it, don't you?

While I agree with all of this written here, the argument presented ignores the notion I put forward, and the one that you called a myth, that individuals do indeed derive value from characters that appeals to a part of their identity. While as you stated they are certainly not the main factors for making purchasing decisions, and are often insignificant, people do derive value from these things.

Good examples of this is the nerdiness of Spiderman in the rami fims being a really relatable trait that was removed from the amazing Spiderman films that annoys some people, including me. Made the character less interesting. Another being static shock (who should have gotten the game after imo) being an extremely interesting character because of the themes his shows tackles are extremely relevant to himself and his particular identity, characters in his community particular identity, and honestly anyone that has to deal with the godawful urban school system. The last of us 1 father and daughter relationship being another good example, as well as gow 2018 with the father and son angle. I hate that sex and race is overrepresented in these discussions, because the scope of representation is FAR beyond that, and much more interesting.

Last edited:

EDMIX

That isn't what Teddi is really saying though.. They are saying that they recognize that companies will pander and it's obnoxious but that is not to say the existence of an African American or minority inside of some work is always actually that.

Someone legitimately might actually truly want to create that character.... So not every minority inside of some work has to be some secret conspiracy or agenda towards something and the biggest problem I've always had towards these weird arguments is how the fuck do you exactly know that's what this actually even is? It aims to try to force this idea that every single last minority in some work is some ultra secret conspiracy and completely disregards that someone might actually legitimately want to create that character....

My point is that they don't need to look or act exactly like you for you to be able to identify with them because if it's an universal story about bad vs

yea, they don't need to you, you are right....but they also can.

I don't really know what to say regarding this tbh. Who cares? No one here is saying THEY MUST be this or that or they NEEEEEEED to be this or that, merely that someone can, they are free to, its ok, they don't need to all the time etc.

All of that is subjective.

that's not gonna stop me from wanting to hit the weights whenever I watch this scene, lol:

Sure, I have nothing against that btw, but stop forcing this idea that we all suddenly need to think that way too...

You can be inspired by something someone did, you can be inspired by the context of what someone did, in a country they lived in, based on a demographic they are, or under a condition that makes their story inspirational or something, like lone minority girl makes it out of the hood coding for company secretly and they don't know its a girl and she solves some problem.

Its not fucking saying the idea of someone coding something to save a company isn't fascinating alone, its saying we live in the real world, those details regarding who, where it happened and how it happened are just as important and add something to that entire narrative. So if you saw some work like that, you might be inspired by the coding, some little girl watching it was inspired that someone that looked like her, did something like that, that statistically is against the norm beating the odds.

Both of you could be inspired as its a multilayered thing

Stop making this sound like this deep either or, as if it MUST be one way or something.

Tedditalk Tedditalk Agreed 10000% Peter being a nerd is part of that idea.

Its like trying to make Breaking Bad, but be like "well we don't NEEEED to factor demographic" and proceed to ignore he was a middle aged white school teacher in suburban America with cancer that turned into a drug kingpin.

That juxtaposition is what helps makes those characters even more interesting.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
While I agree with all of this written here, the argument presented ignores the notion I put forward, and the one that you called a myth, that individuals do indeed derive value from characters that appeals to a part of their identity. While as you stated they are certainly not the main factors for making purchasing decisions, and are often insignificant, people do derive value from these things.

Good examples of this is the nerdiness of Spiderman in the rami fims being a really relatable trait that was removed from the amazing Spiderman films that annoys some people, including me. Made the character less interesting. Another being static shock (who should have gotten the game after imo) being an extremely interesting character because of the themes his shows tackles are extremely relevant to himself and his particular identity, characters in his community particular identity, and honestly anyone that has to deal with the godawful urban school system. The last of us 1 father and daughter relationship being another good example, as well as gow 2018 with the father and son angle. I hate that sex and race is overrepresented in these discussions, because the scope of representation is FAR beyond that, and much more interesting.
Yeah, I mean, I was mainly referring to the current trend where every comic book character is being retconned and butchered in order to pander to certain minority, usually done to appease your typical Twitter crowd that's incapable of taking a character at face value and needing to make everything about themselves. Overall I agree that if a certain work is specifically aimed at a certain demographic then that demographic will derive more value from it but on the other hand, if it's gonna be just a well written story then it's gonna have an universal appeal regardless of the theme.

To circle back on the subject of this thread, I originally suggested that it would be a lot cooler if they made a game about Spawn because it's just a much better choice if you want to have a black character in a story that also explores racial inequality and discrimination because it does it in a way that can speak to a broader audience, plus it also has style, edge, and grit. Modern Marvel is only interested in obnoxious pandering, finger-wagging, and milquetoast writing, and I doubt that this new game will be any different.

Doom85

To circle back on the subject of this thread, I originally suggested that it would be a lot cooler if they made a game about Spawn because it's just a much better choice if you want to have a black character in a story that also explores racial inequality and discrimination because it does it in a way that can speak to a broader audience, plus it also has style, edge, and grit. Modern Marvel is only interested in obnoxious pandering, finger-wagging, and milquetoast writing, and I doubt that this new game will be any different.

Never gave a shit about Spawn. After finding out the creator, Todd McFarlane, tried to fuck over one of my favorite authors, Neil Gaiman, over royalties, I now give even less of a shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom