• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: EA Making Black Panther Game (Open World, AAA)

Gojiira

Seems odd given EA’s continuous ‘hurr durrr Multiplayer only’ message.
I want to say its weird they didnt go to Sony, but of course its licensing etc etc blah blah blah but EA of all publishers? After how they fucked Star Wars (Jedi FO is a anomaly by a competent dev) you would think Disney and Marvel by extension would show a bit more due diligence.

Ozriel

M$FT
I want to say its weird they didnt go to Sony, but of course its licensing etc etc blah blah blah but EA of all publishers? After how they fucked Star Wars (Jedi FO is a anomaly by a competent dev) you would think Disney and Marvel by extension would show a bit more due diligence.

Each of the Battlefront games sold over 10 million copies, I believe. Plus Jedi Fallen Order was a massive success.

I wouldn’t say that a Disney exec would believe they ‘fucked Star wars’.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Sounds good, bp would make a great video game character. Hes like a faster more agile batman, i bet the game will be fun as fuck. It would be sick to have open world wakanda too.

Also watching era cry about this game has been the highlight of my day so far

* Single player game
* Very early development
* "Big, open world Black Panther game"
* The in-universe Black Panther is dead, so player is tasked with becoming the new Black Panther
* Comes from Seattle studio headed by ex-Monolith head
* Produced by EA, kicked off by the success of Fallen Order

This sounds lit af.

kiphalfton

I don't think Disney wants to deal with Square Enix anymore, especially after the Crystal Dynamics fiasco.

Can't say I'm surprised with this choice though since EA had a good track record with Star Wars stuff. By "good" I don't mean in the traditional sense, so much as they have been successful raking in money (which is all Disney cares about).

Can't really think of any other publisher that would do it justice. Disney probably doesn't want to give any more money to Sony out of principle.

Last edited:
Well, to no one’s surprise, this thread turned to shit. Wtf 😳. Can we talk about the game maybe? I honestly don’t have interest in Marvel or any other comic stuff personally…but I just knew racist MFers would be in here trolling the thread up.

envyzeal

Jonah Hill No GIF by The Taboo Group

Amiga

Wakanda is the actual main attraction of this game. This has great potential an original character opens up playstyle and story possibilities, be T'Challa, Killmonger or even White Wolf.

Topher

Gold Member
* Single player game
* Very early development
* "Big, open world Black Panther game"
* The in-universe Black Panther is dead, so player is tasked with becoming the new Black Panther
* Comes from Seattle studio headed by ex-Monolith head
* Produced by EA, kicked off by the success of Fallen Order

This sounds lit af.

I want that game personally. I'll reserve judgement , of course, but I love everything said so far.

EA makes a single player game and Comments are filled with people sneering at the idea. Same folks who constantly criticize EA for prioritizing MP games.

Sigh

I agree folks shouldn't sneer at this, but the exact same people? Who exactly? Not doubting but....I see this "same folks" thing all the time.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Not a Marvel fan, in fact i kind of cringe at most Marvel movies, BUT i actually really liked Black Panther for some reason..
I hope the game is set in Wakanda, could look beautiful.

It’s a no from me. Fallen order aside, EAs output from internal teams has been awful. I genuinely believe that only a Sony studio would pull this off with the production values we’ve come to expect.

I agree folks shouldn't sneer at this, but the exact same people? Who exactly? Not doubting but....I see this "same folks" thing all the time.
I'm thinking it's a figure of speech to indicate that people attacked EA for not speaking positively about single player games and now people are attacking EA for making a single player game. They get criticism no matter what they do.

I prefer to play games with my friends buy I'll reserve judgment until I at least see a gameplay trailer. At least this should be a current generation only game. Hopefully all platform features will be utilized.

EDMIX

I'd rather play as the original black panther.

May not be up to EA. The rumor states it was kicked off after the success of Fallen Order, so if Disney liked how that turned out and allowed EA to use the license, it likely means its only allowed to be around some time frame here or there like we saw from the Star Wars stuff.

If its Jedi Fallen Order EA, that's good.
If it's the skeleton of Dice, that's a risky one.

lol its being made by neither.

Its being done by a new team lead by the former Shadow Of War and Shadow Of Mordor lead

He also worked on the F.E.A.R series and Condemned

The bolded is 100% FALSE!!! How can you say this right after literally Marvel set SDCC on fire this past week?

lol people this slow don't seem to understand objectivity....30 million selling Spiderman isn't great and breaking all major box office records is slowing down and flopz. This is a massive, massive level of slow I could never understand as I get having a difference of opinion on something, but the reaching and exaggeration is like nothing I've seen before. I don't even watch those films, but I also don't pretend they must be flopping and people are not watching them. Thats some weird fanfiction type shit lol

They are going to be telling us the same thing when Spiderman 2 breaks all sorts of records on PS5, then those Disney shows break records for their streaming platform lol Be like "ok...but what is #1 REALLY doe?"

How is making a Black Panther game opting for woke points?
The fact that he is black means its woke?
Is every black character woke?
Do black people NOT exist in real life?

giphy.gif

Sir...do you see what i have to deal with? lol

The Anti-woke shit is just as dumb as the Woke shit, maybe dumber as they just made a whole ass argument against what "woke" people where saying about Uncharted and so many series. Telling us that clearly you can't just say something is alt right and some deep conspiracy based on a white guy with a shirt tucked in......annnnnnd goes around saying the same fucking thing about black people and women in games.

Its the same dumbass argument.

ie gender in game = conspiracy
race in game = conspiracy

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
lol its being made by neither.

Its being done by a new team lead by the former Shadow Of War and Shadow Of Mordor lead

He also worked on the F.E.A.R series and Condemned

No, I know that.

I meant in terms of what kind of quality output we get. If it's JFO quality, that's great.
If it's the recent DICE output quality, that ain't.

EDMIX

No, I know that.

I meant in terms of what kind of quality output we get. If it's JFO quality, that's great.
If it's the recent DICE output quality, that ain't.

ok, but a lot of that could come down to the teams themselves as to why those 2 teams had such wild differences in quality in the first place. So...I do get that you mean you want the quality of the better title and don't want any of that crazy shit going on at DICE, simply I don't know how relevant any of that would be to this new team that had nothing to do with those situations though.

So i do agree with wanting that great quality, simply the projects referenced might not have much to do with this, maybe with Fallen Order a lot of that was to keep getting contracts by Disney....so who knows. Maybe they gave a bigger budget, more time and freedom or something and maybe that would fit with them wanting to keep that contract with Black Panther or something.

Hard to say.

I'd take a game made by old white men than pretty much anybody. "Old" indicates they've been in the industry before it went to shit this past decade.
Gaming is bigger than movies and professional sports combined. What are you talking about going to shit the last decade. Give your head a shake. The views some of you people have in your little bubbles is mind boggling.

kiphalfton

Gaming is bigger than movies and professional sports combined. What are you talking about going to shit the last decade. Give your head a shake. The views some of you people have in your little bubbles is mind boggling.

Oh please, movies, video games, etc. have gone to shit in the last decade. For one very obvious reason that is alluded to in my response as well as the person's post I replied to. If you can't read between the lines I'm not sure what to tell you.

Gojiira

Each of the Battlefront games sold over 10 million copies, I believe. Plus Jedi Fallen Order was a massive success.

I wouldn’t say that a Disney exec would believe they ‘fucked Star wars’.
Might want to read up on how Disney terminated the Star Wars license with EA, specifically citing damaging the brand lol
Hence Bizarre, Hence Fallen Order being a exception but whatever not gonna argue over how I find it odd

EDMIX

Might want to read up on how Disney terminated the Star Wars license with EA, specifically citing damaging the brand lol
Hence Bizarre, Hence Fallen Order being a exception but whatever not gonna argue over how I find it odd

They didn't terminate any license with EA.

A Star Wars title is literally be made still under EA and the fact that they have Black Panther (rumor) greatly questions that claim sir.

The exclusive license with EA was set to expire.......thats it. Nothing about "terminated" or "damaging the brand" or anything like that as I'd question why one would say that, yet have them with Fallen Order and then fucking give them other IP, that sounds like you made that up and want that to be the case more then anything factual.

So it sounds like you want that already in place deal ending, to be some "oh Disney did it cuz da damaging da brand" and nothing here actually states anything like that other then you wanting it to be the case.

Give a link and we can talk about it, other then folks need to relax on this revisionist shit of trying to force this false narrative cause it sounds edgy or something lol

EA had a 10 year EXCLUSIVE deal with Star Wars....that deal is coming to an end, thus stuff like KOTOR and that Ubisoft Star Wars games have been announced, after 2023 those titles will be open to release, EA still has the ability to make Star Wars titles.....The fact that Star Wars with Battlefront and Fallen Order broke all sorts of sales records for them, I see no evidence of some "damaging the brand" or anything like that and it would be odd to then reward EA with another Star Wars game and....another fucking property with Black Panther? yea that sounds like its false sir. The most simplest answer might really be the deal they had simply ended for that exclusive rights thing, not that Disney is now mad at record sales lol

If you have a link to say otherwise, I'd love to read that. =)

"Seems odd given EA’s continuous ‘hurr durrr Multiplayer only’ message" lol

I'm not even trying to be rude here, I think you assume a lot and just ignore facts or don't really look any of this up. Did you...maybe look up those comments? You didn't think it was odd that they had Star Wars Fallen Order already being made? That didn't just appear out of thin air, you didn't think it was even more odd to have Dragon Age be single player only, to the point of dropping the MP? Dead Space remake? I mean....

So shit, of course its odd to you, you based it off of forum talk and neck beard shit vs ...well reality.

So it simply sounds more like you've taken those comments completely out of context and exaggerated them and then continued to just make up why Star Wars license was open. Thats all I see from this.

Last edited:
This marvel superhero assault on the public is worse than peak Star Wars. After avengers travesty they should just coast on Wolverine and whatever Spider-Man game is coming next.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Let’s not tell fibs in public. Disney never terminated the Star Wars license to EA (EA’s making a JFO sequel) and they certainly never said anything about them ‘damaging the brand’.

I don’t think you’re supposed to take a figure of speech literally.

Ozriel

M$FT
They didn't terminate any license with EA.

A Star Wars title is literally be made still under EA and the fact that they have Black Panther (rumor) greatly questions that claim sir.

[/URL]

The exclusive license with EA was set to expire.......thats it. Nothing about "terminated" or "damaging the brand" or anything like that as I'd question why one would say that, yet have them with Fallen Order and then fucking give them other IP, that sounds like you made that up and want that to be the case more then anything factual.

So it sounds like you want that already in place deal ending, to be some "oh Disney did it cuz da damaging da brand" and nothing here actually states anything like that other then you wanting it to be the case.

Give a link and we can talk about it, other then folks need to relax on this revisionist shit of trying to force this false narrative cause it sounds edgy or something lol

EA had a 10 year EXCLUSIVE deal with Star Wars....that deal is coming to an end, thus stuff like KOTOR and that Ubisoft Star Wars games have been announced, after 2023 those titles will be open to release, EA still has the ability to make Star Wars titles.....The fact that Star Wars with Battlefront and Fallen Order broke all sorts of sales records for them, I see no evidence of some "damaging the brand" or anything like that and it would be odd to then reward EA with another Star Wars game and....another fucking property with Black Panther? yea that sounds like its false sir. The most simplest answer might really be the deal they had simply ended for that exclusive rights thing, not that Disney is now mad at record sales lol

If you have a link to say otherwise, I'd love to read that. =)

"Seems odd given EA’s continuous ‘hurr durrr Multiplayer only’ message" lol

I'm not even trying to be rude here, I think you assume a lot and just ignore facts or don't really look any of this up. Did you...maybe look up those comments? You didn't think it was odd that they had Star Wars Fallen Order already being made? That didn't just appear out of thin air, you didn't think it was even more odd to have Dragon Age be single player only, to the point of dropping the MP? Dead Space remake? I mean....

[/URL]

So shit, of course its odd to you, you based it off of forum talk and neck beard shit vs ...well reality.

So it simply sounds more like you've taken those comments completely out of context and exaggerated them and then continued to just make up why Star Wars license was open. Thats all I see from this.

Very well said.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
The thing with all these Marvel game properties is that they are not connected in any way to one another. We need an MCU style universe with cross-over events like the cinematic universe, otherwise it feels like we are completing a story that is just one small part of a much larger whole.
I feel the opposite. With MCU you need to catch up on a ton of movies and tv shows to understand everything properly.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
They never terminated the Star Wars the exclusivity deal was till 2023, so basically it just lapsed.
EA still has license to make Star Wars games.
Further Disney never said EA was damaging the brand, hell Squadrons and Fallen Order are actually Canon and on the Star Wars license some 3 billion dollars was made.

Exclusivity deals lapsing arent the same as terminating, Disney would have had to pay EA for breaching contract.

mckmas8808

Banned
Oh please, movies, video games, etc. have gone to shit in the last decade. For one very obvious reason that is alluded to in my response as well as the person's post I replied to. If you can't read between the lines I'm not sure what to tell you.

You sound like an old grumpy man that most people would hate to be around. The last decade has been mind-blowing when it comes to content.

A.Romero

So it's a gaming coming off the success of Fallen Order but it's open world (unlike FO) and the character is created by the player (Unlike FO).

So basically the only thing that it's similar is that it's story driven? (And MTX of course)

Top Bottom