• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Druckmann on Half-Life

I don't get the "Better than nothing" posts. I'd rather have nothing than have crap that ruins the franchise's image and be a disgrace to it's legacy.

Floody

It was a joke people. I'd personally want Naughty Dog to just do thier own thing though, not someone else's. I also just don't care at all for Half-Life now, if 3 happens great, but I stop waiting for it to ages ago.

I don't get the "Better than nothing" posts. I'd rather have nothing than have crap that ruins the franchise's image and be a disgrace to it's legacy.

image.php

I'm talking about the dude calling Neil cocky and arrogant over a fucking twitter joke.

Ah, well I can't argue with that.

Not really. They're actually very similar in a lot of ways. ND's games are sprinkled with gameplay segments that would have otherwise been cutscenes in most games, something that Half Life initially toyed with. The whole interactive cut scene notion. Add to that, there's similarity in the pacing and style of the atmospheric exposition segments, that we saw in HL/HL2 with things like City 17, the labs, bases etc. The main difference is that HL delivers it's narrative almost completely in gameplay, whilst ND still uses cut scenes where necessary (and to successful effect imo).

You can't just dismiss that difference as if it's a trivial one, though. That difference is a core part of the design philosophy behind single-player Valve games. It informs every aspect of the games, because the interaction of the player and the environment are the only way the narrative can be advanced.

sora87

While it's a joke and all, Naughty Dog, one of the top developers in the industry, certainly wouldn't put out "crap".

Valve fans certainly are something.

orochi91

Awesome.

ND would do it justice, at least more so than Valve at this moment.

E3 2016, Half-Life 3 announced for PS4/Morpheus, with some other dev handling the PC port :3

spootime

I really think that some of you are overstating the differences between ND games and Half life. At their core both are linear narrative driven action games. The main difference being that Valve likes to use a narrative structure where the protagonist NEVER speaks, which was cool in 2005 I guess but these days I'm not as big a fan.

how a joking tweet about collaboration and working together lead to a thread with some posts pitting the two studios against each other is beyond me

Half-Life wrote the book on setpiece shooters. Like... Valve literally invented the concept with that game.

Naughty Dog happens to specialize in setpiece shooters.

They'd probably make a pretty exciting and decently fun Half-Life game.

They'd probably make a decent game that happens to be called half life but wouldn't play or feel like one.

People also keep missing that half life 1-2 are a big deal because they came packed with an engine and tools that spawned a long legacy of mods (mods which are still among the best and most popular games on pc today).

Entire genres have spawned off of the half life engine.

So yeah, a half life game that doesn't come with a new engine and the massive modding culture around it is going to be really pointless to a lot of fans.

I really think that some of you are overstating the differences between ND games and Half life. At their core both are linear narrative driven action games. The main difference being that Valve likes to use a narrative structure where the protagonist NEVER speaks, which was cool in 2005 I guess but these days I'm not as big a fan.

If you oversimplify enough, every game is Pacman too.

I can only imagine the hundreds of weapon and booster DLC they would have for the Half-life multi-player counterpart.

Also charge for Gordon Freeman dance emotes.

scoobs

I mean... at least with Naughty Dog they'd actually make the video game, and its almost guaranteed to be great. Valve you know its going to be great, but they'll never make it. I'm okay with that trade off.

I know this tweet probably means nothing but I have absolutely no doubt that Naughty Dog could make a good game out of the IP. Would it reach HL3 standards? Maybe not, but it would be fun.

Kinda confusing how that rule works. Sometimes people get in trouble for it, and other times they don't.

Gordon Freeman to be voiced by Nolan North. The crowbar voiced by Troy Baker.

After years of not talking to anyone Gordon Freeman has lost his mind. The only solace he has is talking too the one friend he almost left at Black Masa. Wilson the crowbar!

Wilson, what are going to do!? WILSO...

My names not Wilson dumbass!

WinFonda

I'm sure it's been covered but this tweet is a reference to Merle Dandrige, who is the voice actress for Alyx in Half Life and Marlene in TLOU. Possibly Nadine in U4, too. It's not a serious proposition.

The Half Life worship is incredible. HL2 isn't even the best story driven FPS to come out in 2004.

I'm like 95% sure Naughty Dog could make a Half Life sequel as good or better than whatever Valve isn't cooking up right now.

Meet me somewhere if you disagree with any part of this.

Vire

I find most of the posts amusing in this thread since a lot of them say "Valve or nothing", but probably a majority of people who worked on Half Life 2 aren't even at the company anymore. That game came out over ten years ago.

Funnily enough I know there was some who left to Naughty Dog.

aeolist

Banned
Half-life 1 is legit.

Half-life 2 is legit overhyped. Riddick released in the same year was a better fps campaign.
Halo 2 was a better package. FarCry beautifully open.

half-life 2 is more of an amazing platform than a genuinely fun game, though it's that too. it spawned the (vastly superior) episodes, and the work they did on it gave them the tech to do so many amazing games since it came out.

not to mention source licensed games and mods.

Tenebrous

I find most of the posts amusing in this thread since a lot of them say "Valve or nothing", but probably a majority of people who worked on Half Life 2 aren't even at the company anymore. That game came out over ten years ago.

Funnily enough I know there was some who left to Naughty Dog.

Portal 2 crew are (mostly) still there, and that game is beyond anything ND have done, so I guess I'll have to throw myself in with the Valve or nothing crowd.

Why are we talking as if Naughty Dog was Mercury Steam or some other destroyer-of-franchises. Naughty Dog is probably the best developer in the whole wide world with the most consistent quality output in the business. If Valve isn't going to make HL3 I cannot think of a better studio I'd like to see them handle the game than Naughty Dog.

Top Bottom