• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Druckmann on Half-Life

Unit24

Give Half-Life to MACHINE GAMES.

Fuck, now I really want a Half-Life made by MACHINE GAMES.

I'm generally of the opinion that I want HL3 by Valve or not at all, but Machinegames would also be a pretty good second choice.

But seriously though, there is absolutely no point in having a new Half-Life if it's made by another developer. It would totally rob the series of its identity. It would be like having a new Metal Gear Solid without Kojima.

Nzyme32

I mean, hey... somebody's gotta do it. Valve has made it clear that they have no intention to.

They made it clear it will take as long as it takes and they won't rush it out the door. They've been pretty consistent in saying it is still years away - which makes it all the more funny when all these threads pop up for the simplest jokes. Even more hilarious are the rumour mongers like the Know, as seen with the transcript of the emails between them and Laidlaw compared to the videos the put out in rebutal

Redevil

The whole Half-Life debacle is disappointing. So much awesomeness left untapped. We could be on Half-Life 5 by now.

Ploid 3.0

Come on guys. Druckmann knows he is a prominent figure in the industry and that his comments carry weight. Enough so that it my actually help result in Valve getting off their backsides and making HL3 for us.

He knows that there is no way in hell Valve would ever even consider this but ultimately it may help us actually get HL 3. Even a small sliver of determination from Valve to make this game is a good thing and if comments like this spark that then keep em coming.

Yeah, I agree with this. I doubt Druckmann even want's to do it, the game would have to be done for PS4, and there's no way Sony would fund a game that's not exclusive or the IP that don't belong to them.

I forgot about the Street Fighter situation, but man could you IMAGINE a Naughty Dog PC game?

I'm generally of the opinion that I want HL3 by Valve or not at all, but Machinegames would also be a pretty good second choice.

But seriously though, there is absolutely no point in having a new Half-Life if it's made by another developer. It would totally rob the series of its identity. It would be like having a new Metal Gear Solid without Kojima.

But we have that and it's called Metal Gear Rising: REVENGENCE and it's amazing. (I guess Kojima had some input with that one, but whateves)

It would be a bummer to see another studio make the next tent-pole entry in such a storied franchise, but a gaiden release would be sweet.

Nzyme32

The whole Half-Life debacle is disappointing. So much awesomeness left untapped. We could be on Half-Life 5 by now.

I'd put money on the games being shite if they did that. The last thing people need are for companies like Valve and Naughty Dog to just pump out the same prescribed rubbish as every other milked game franchise

Lingitiz

I don't think so. Portal 2 was the last show of it. What Valve excels at now is making online competitive games with smart micro-transaction systems.

Save this post if you want, if we get a story-driven single player Half-Life game from Valve by Oct 2017 (10 years since HL2: Ep2) I will literally eat my shorts. On video.

Doesn't mean that guys like Eric Wolpaw, Chet Faliszek, Marc Laidlaw, aren't still there.

deadman69

Unit24

But we have that and it's called Metal Gear Rising: REVENGENCE and it's amazing. (I guess Kojima had some input with that one, but whateves)

It would be a bummer to see another studio make the next tent-pole entry in such a storied franchise, but a gaiden release would be sweet.

That's not Solid, that's Rising, and it's a totally different genre. Imagine how weird it would have been if Platinum had made a stealth game with Snake.

GnawtyDog

Banned
If they hire 150 more employees and open Naughty Dog Studio 2 then perhaps I would support.

Otherwise NO. Give me an original sci-fi IP OR TLOU2.

ITT: people who are scared ND would make a better Half-life game than current Valve would.

;)

It's normal.

Redevil

At least ND would make something with it.

Valve is now in F2P land.
They don't have to make games anymore now that the Steam service is so successful. As much as I compliment them for their success, it just kind of shows where their priorities were.

Yes a half life game (in name only since a different studio would be making it, so it would be pointless) without mod support that is also a console exclusive...
What bait and attention seeking.

Why don't we ask justin bieber to make another queen album. (mad uncharted fans inc:p)

Pretending for a second that ND could make a worthy half life sequel they would just shit it up with greedy microtransactions anyhow

I wouldn't trust anyone who hasn't made a Half-Life game already.

And since Valve doesn't want to do it, I guess that means Gearbox.
Gearbox would outsource most of the work to some third studio and use most of the money to shit out another borderlands game *cough colonial marines cough*

Rising is a wonderful game but it's absolutely nothing like MGS. It's just a typical platinum game with metal gear IP skin and some MGS canon.

So unless you would like a third person covershootbang with autoplatforming to be the next half life game your argument doesn't hold:p

bathsalts

People seem to have unreasonably high opinions of Wolf TNO and Resistance 3 in this thread; shits not in hl2's league, nvm the episodes or 1. Above Xen tier sure but nowhere in sight of the god named Surface Tension.

Ploid 3.0

If they hire 150 more employees and open Naughty Dog Studio 2 then perhaps I would support.

Otherwise NO. Give me an original sci-fi IP OR TLOU2.

It's normal.

This is the only reason I wouldn't want ND doing it. I want them to make their own games with the freedom to do what they want.

Give it to Activision so they can assign the game to 4 different companies so it spits out yearly versions of semi-different stories.

/s

mnannola

Valve could re-release Haze with Half Life 3 slapped on it and it would sell 5 million copies. No way they give up that opportunity.

I can't think of a developer more unsuited to making a new Half-Life game than Naughty Dog. Like, their games are the absolute antithesis of a Half-Life game.

OP missed a pretty big part of the tweet which was a repost of a picture of Merle Dandridge (actress for Alyx in HL and Marlene in TLOU) doing mo-cap.

TaterTots

Banned
Half Life was one of my favorite games of all time, but too many years have passed. I no longer care. I'd rather have L4D3 or Portal 3(if it can be as good as the second).

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

I actually got some pretty HL2ey vibes from TNO.

Wouldn't be a bad fit.

But Half life isn't even half relevant anymore ...

Honestly. That story universe is covered in a foot thick layer of dust.

jettpack

fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. maybe? idk. that sounds crazy. fuck. Also if naughty dog did it it would be a ps4 exclusive? or would they put it out on pc? jesus. that sounds insane.

give it to arkane........

Ploid 3.0

I find it humorous just how many people think Valve is sitting on their asses doing nothing.

Oh they're doing stuff for Source 2 or whatever, and converting Dota 2, TF to it, Steam OS and working on steam. They are probably making a new Free to Play competitive game as well. Not Half Life though, well Half Life single player haha.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Forget about HL3, Neil. Just make Savage Starlight a reality.

Kalentan

Yes a half life game (in name only since a different studio would be making it, so it would be pointless) without mod support that is also a console exclusive...
What bait and attention seeking.

Even if this was to happen (which it wont)... It wouldn't be an exclusive, Sony would make a deal with Valve and Naughty Dog would develop it using Source2 for PC and PS4 and then can hand it off to Valve for modding support.

Not sure why so much ND hate in this tread... It's like some people are straight up offended at the very idea. Which is weird.

Top Bottom