• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Druckmann on Half-Life

hemo memo

Gold Member
Oh they're doing stuff for Source 2 or whatever, and converting Dota 2, TF to it, Steam OS and working on steam. They are probably making a new Free to Play competitive game as well. Not Half Life though, well Half Life single player haha.

They're working on Half-life 3, they're just waiting for the right opportunity (business wise) because it doesn't make any sense to have it for PS4 or XBO, it's not like they need the money.

That's what I think.

In term of game design philosophy that's debatable, but for everything else yes I believe ND is the better developer. That's my opinion.
The 1.2 million people playing valve games or mods of valve games at this very second (like right now, at the same time) would probably disagree.

I wonder how many people are currently in a naughty dog game. 30k? I'm probably being generous.

mephixto

Banned
I love Uncharted series but sorry ND no I don't want you near HL3. Also it seems to be that Neil got a little cocky and arrogant.

Not sure why so much ND hate in this tread... It's like some people are straight up offended at the very idea. Which is weird.

This isn't an attack on Naughty Dog, I get why people enjoy their games. But as I said before, they are like anti-Half-Life in almost every way. They're far more in line with where the majority of the AAA industry has headed however, so for people like me who have been hoping for another Half-Life game to fill the void it's definitely poking a sore spot vigorously.

Druckmann's lust for power can't quenched.

It's sickening.

Neil%2BDruckmann%2B2014%2BWriters%2BGuild%2BAwards%2BL%2B3ko3xSTwMlll.jpg

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Druckmann rustling GAF's jimmies since forever now. I fucking love it!
Bring on that superior single player Half Life experience.

Edit: ;)

I knew this thread would turn stupid in no time.

lol it was a fucking joke.

Yes, of course it was a joke. That doesn't mean that it's stupid to spin it off into a discussion about the hypothetical result of the suggestion, or different game design philosophies. That's what we're here for, isn't it?

Even if this was to happen (which it wont)... It wouldn't be an exclusive, Sony would make a deal with Valve and Naughty Dog would develop it using Source2 for PC and PS4 and then can hand it off to Valve for modding support.

Not sure why so much ND hate in this tread... It's like some people are straight up offended at the very idea. Which is weird.

As I said, imagine a band you really enjoyed for the past 20 years and you've been anticipating their next album for a while. Now Kanye west or Bieber tweet that they d be up for making the next album for your band.
Then you're invited to a serious discussion about this scenario.

You'd also roll your eyes.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Random #1: "Hey, check out this funny thing that..."
Random #2: "FUCK THAT SHIT"

jDTSDG.gif

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yes please.

I'd rather have an amazing game in 2 or 3 years made by Naughty Dog then no game.

crimilde

Banned
Yes, of course it was a joke. That doesn't mean that it's stupid to spin it off into a discussion about the hypothetical result of the suggestion, or different game design philosophies. That's what we're here for, isn't it?

Well:

I love Uncharted series but sorry ND no I don't want you near HL3. Also it seems to be that Neil got a little cocky and arrogant.

Yes a half life game (in name only since a different studio would be making it, so it would be pointless) without mod support that is also a console exclusive...
What bait and attention seeking.

Why don't we ask justin bieber to make another queen album. (mad uncharted fans inc:p)

He was obviously talking about posts like these.

I'm talking about the dude calling Neil cocky and arrogant over a fucking twitter joke.

nib95

Banned
Yes please. Though I'd probably prefer Valve work on Half Life, whilst Naughty Dog give us something new. Not that I'm close to saying no to more Uncharted and Last of Us mind you.

Ploid 3.0

As I said, imagine a band you really enjoyed for the past 20 years and you've been anticipating their next album for a while. Now Kanye west or Bieber tweet that they d be up for making the next album for your band.
Then you're invited to a serious discussion about this scenario.

You'd also roll your eyes.

Is Valve the same band from 20 years ago? 10 years ago? They tend to do pop lately, giving away their digital albums and selling shirts and hats.

Well:

He was obviously talking about posts like these.

You quote me while in my very post I explained why it would be a dumb idea.

The bieber analogy was a stab at the disingenuous people trolling the thread pretending they don't know why ND making a half life game would sound pointless.
(serious mode for a second: bieber has shittons of fans whose opinions aren't necessarily worth less than yours, so if you are offended by my analogy then you now understand why I made it)
Also never forget the uc3 eurogamer review thread.

Is Valve the same band from 20 years ago? 10 years ago?

Freddy mercury is dead so why not let kanye west do the next queen album? They're not doing anything with it anyway.

Some of valve's talent has obviously quit or left over the years but their output in the past years clearly shows they 've still got it.
Portal 2 was amazing.

watership

The very fact that the game is delayed, and hasn't had any significant news in almost a decade, makes the game a best seller when it comes out.

It's impossible to fail. Even if it's bad.

The 1.2 million people playing valve games or mods of valve games at this very second (like right now, at the same time) would probably disagree.

I wonder how many people are currently in a naughty dog game. 30k? I'm probably being generous.

He literally said it's his opinion, dawg.

213372bu

Banned
It was a joke.

But the idea of ND or most other devs touching HL kinda misses the point of Half-Life.

I can't see ND doing a proper way of Half-Life at all.

ND games are kinda like the antithesis of all the things HL 1/2 did to make them what they are.

Banned
Sure, why not? Valve seems to care more about hardware and services than software right now and I doubt this game ever even got into pre-production or brainstorming of ideas.

Estocolmo

Won't somebody please think about the gamers? Just make HL3 happen already! I want to know what happens after the cliffhanger ending in half life 2 episode 2! We have waited for 8 years now and at this point it doesn't matter who makes the game.

Tigress

No way in hell Valve would give that property to anyone else.

You know, I'm not even invested in this as I've never played any of them. But if they don't want to make the game but left it on a frikking cliff hangar, the least they could do is let some one else make the game then. I think it's pretty annoying they left it on a cliff hangar and everything we hear is that they don't really want to work on another so they are not. If you didn't want to make another, don't leave it on a cliffhangar! That's honestly a shitty way to treat your customers.

Elixist

i wonder how something like last of us on steam with mods would do, with a f2p approach for multi like valves newest stuff. but ya for gameplay naughty good. valve great.

nib95

Banned
It was a joke.

But the idea of ND or most other devs touching HL kinda misses the point of Half-Life.

I can't see ND doing a proper way of Half-Life at all.

ND games are kinda like the antithesis of all the things HL 1/2 did to make them what they are.

Not really. They're actually very similar in a lot of ways. ND's games are sprinkled with gameplay segments that would have otherwise been cutscenes in most games, something that Half Life initially toyed with. The whole interactive cut scene notion. Add to that, there's similarity in the pacing and style of the atmospheric exposition segments, that we saw in HL/HL2 with things like City 17, the labs, bases etc. The main difference is that HL delivers it's narrative almost completely in gameplay, whilst ND still uses cut scenes where necessary (and to successful effect imo).

The very fact that the game is delayed, and hasn't had any significant news in almost a decade, makes the game a best seller when it comes out.

It's impossible to fail. Even if it's bad.

Well people once respected duke nukem and anticipated Duke nukem forever for a decade:p
I don't think half life 3 is immune, if it's a shit game the fans will spit it out.

Expectations for a half life 3 game are astronomical anyway. Probably one of the reasons why valve hasn't released it yet, as long as they don't have a really worthwhile idea and concept for it it would do more harm than good to release it.

One thing valve is known for is to toss ideas and work that isn't up to quality even if they spent a long time working on it.

Top Bottom