• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

I'm loving this game, but it sucks that they wanted to hold the player's hand regarding levels navigation. I mean, in some levels you can notice that they blocked some passsages that didn't really needed to be blocked, but they did so the player wouldn't get lost, such as locking teleporters and unlocking only when it was needed to progress in the stage.

It's the same approach with most recent games where they try to hold the player's hand to try to give him "the best experience", which means that they have tried to appeal a wider target audience. IMO, they should have gone Dark Souls route and let the player suffer a bit, or at least only in the higher difficulties.

leng jai

I don't why people keep saying a mouse is much better for this game. It's literally a run and gun shooter that doesn't really on precision aiming. Why exactly is a controller hard to use in this? I'm breezing through UV with a PS4 pad. It's not Counterstrike people.

jwhit28

I'm loving this game, but it sucks that they wanted to hold the player's hand regarding levels navigation. I mean, in some levels you can notice that they blocked some passsages that didn't really needed to be blocked, but they did so the player wouldn't get lost, such as locking teleporters and unlocking only when it was needed to progress in the stage.

It's the same approach with most recent games where they try to hold the player's hand to try to give him "the best experience", which means that they have tried to appeal a wider target audience. IMO, they should have gone Dark Souls route and let the player suffer a bit, or at least only in the higher difficulties.

I'm not sure that would work in Doom because you can't really block a route with enemies that you can't handle yet. It's not like your power level is gonna change that drastically during a level.

jwhit28

I don't why people keep saying a mouse is much better for this game. It's literally a run and gun shooter that doesn't really on precision aiming. Why exactly is a controller hard to use in this? I'm breezing through UV with a PS4 pad. It's not Counterstrike people.

For me it had to do with my movement speed being faster than my aiming speed. Bumping the aiming speed up made it pretty unwieldy with an analog stick. I've come to realize that when I play slower shooters with a controller I'm using my movement as much as my aiming for controlling my shots, which is pretty hard to do in Doom.

Ecto311

Having played most shooters this and last generation and shit even back to original doom this game holds my hand way less. I even get lost or need to hunt for stuff in this compared to other games.

I doubt we will get a complete return to fps form in the old days right off the bat but the direction this game is going is fantastic compared to the other shit out there.

I wish there was a gore limit setting or even a silly confetti mode so I could get my daughter experience the play and levels. She has been exposed to this game a ton but she actually doesn't dig the extreme violence so that turns her off to a fun ass game even with the glory kills turned down.

I'm not sure that would work in Doom because you can't really block a route with enemies that you can't handle yet. It's not like your power level is gonna change that drastically during a level.

I mean, when I compared with Dark Souls I mean more in the way "letting the player have freedom to go where he wants" in the current level instead of the world structure of Dark Souls where the player can be really low leveled when accessing a new area.

Having played most shooters this and last generation and shit even back to original doom this game holds my hand way less. I even get lost or need to hunt for stuff in this compared to other games.

I doubt we will get a complete return to fps form in the old days right off the bat but the direction this game is going is fantastic compared to the other shit out there.

I wish there was a gore limit setting or even a silly confetti mode so I could get my daughter experience the play and levels. She has been exposed to this game a ton but she actually doesn't dig the extreme violence so that turns her off to a fun ass game even with the glory kills turned down.

It's surely a step ahead compared with most shooters, but I think they could've gone further. It's for no reason "The Foundry" is the best level of this game, for me :)

(but then you find stuff like that lol: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/819505-doom/73738360 )

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I tried playing with the controller just to test the game on the 4k TV. It was so frustrating. I don't know how you guys do it. That's not trying to be snobby. I prefer the controller for most shooters, but I'm impressed anyone can play this game competently with one.

Some of us played Quake 3 on Dreamcast with one analog stick.

Just a bit of gameplay from the first level in hell that I recorded earlier. Playing on Ultra Violence. Dunno if it'll be of interest to anyone but figured I'd share it here. There's a couple of stutters cause I was using FRAPS. I need to turn on shadowplay before I record any more.

https://youtu.be/GfUoYUdwVqk

mokeyjoe

Which became pretty interesting when id introduced cross-platform play. :p

I think you could use the mouse and keyboard on the dreamcast though. Didn't really mind one analogue stick; same with Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, the face buttons just became WASD.

Zeliard

I think you could use the mouse and keyboard on the dreamcast though. Didn't really mind one analogue stick; same with Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, the face buttons just became WASD.

You could use m/kb, though iirc they had to be proprietary ones developed for the DC.

Getting to put some more time into this over the weekend, goddamn it's just so good. Situations seem so crazy at times and then you just mow everything down. Can't remember a game that makes the player feel so empowered.

Man, I love this game so much. I feel bad for my copy of UC4, which I pretty much abandoned halfway through, lol.

I didn't even open my copy of UC4 until I finished DOOM. It worked out okay, UC4 is still pretty fun and I think I'll be on my PS4 catching up my console backlog for awhile until I get my 1080 anyways.

pa22word

If id made a sequel, what would you guys like to see? An invisibility power up?

I can't praise the Tactical preset enough

Invisibility is kind of pointless due to the way mobs are tied to arenas now, though.

For a sequel I'd like more levels like the foundry vs the more linear later levels that just feel like arenas that are connected with some walkways.

antitrop

I want that ultra nightmare achievement so bad, but my god... it's nearly impossible.
I did it this morning, it was tough. I have no interest in going any further than the first level.

- Always keep moving, I like to the trace the arenas in circles
- There's plenty of shotgun ammo in the level, conservation isn't really important
- When the Imps charge up a fireball, take cover. That's the #1 most dangerous attack, #2 being the AOE charged blast from Possessed Soldiers
- Use Glory Kills judiciously, it's pretty common to take damage coming out of the animation
- It's not as long of a level as you might think. It's a big battle at the beginning, a few small skirmishes, and then another big one at the end
- In the two areas where Imps spawn in a close corridor, you can backpedal to lure them out to more open areas. Enemies spawn in areas that are more advantageous to them

pa22word

Anyone know what that big open room in the upper part of the labs is?

Never could figure out how to get there, and I have 100%'d that level =\

5E3271FF2CAF7FCFADADB40A170573AF1CA0D8BD

Reposting because I'm back to the lazarus labs again on my nightmare run.

Guys, the multi-player is growing on me. I'm finding it enjoyable. The three round burst gun is sorta fun.
Yeah, my first match didn't leave a good impression on me, but yester I played some matches of freeze tag and really got a look at some of the customization.
Actually really fun multiplayer, suprisingly. It's kinda like Quake Live x TOXIKK.

FrsDvl

I did it this morning, it was tough. I have no interest in going any further than the first level.

- Always keep moving, I like to the trace the arenas in circles
- There's plenty of shotgun ammo in the level, conservation isn't really important
- When the Imps charge up a fireball, take cover
- Use Glory Kills judiciously, it's pretty common to take damage coming out of the animation
- It's not as long of a level as you might think. It's a big battle at the beginning, a few small skirmishes, and then another big one at the end
- In the two areas where Imps spawn in a close corridor, you can backpedal to lure them out to more open areas. Enemies spawn in areas that are more advantageous to them

Thanks, that useful. I did run around a lot, but I kept getting hit. And the glory kills often caused me to die.

Oh really?!? That doesn't sound so bad!

Haha ok, report back when you've tried it :p

Ghazi

Just finished my nightmare playthrough, minus idling it took me about 15 hours. Funny touch I noticed during the credits, throughout the game the holoprojections referred to the scientists needing to go talk to Jessica in HR for projects, id's HR director's name is Jessica.

sn00zer

I love the fact that the story
makes you out to be a huge bad ass that the demons and Olivia are terrified of.... havent really seen that before

DeaDPo0L84

So I'm one trophy away from the platinum but this last trophy won't pop. Its the IDKFA one where you have to earn all weapon masteries. I have them all for sure and have tried starting a new game and completing an entire level and even restarting my console and nothing. I'm on PS4 by the way if it matters.

So I'm one trophy away from the platinum but this last trophy won't pop. Its the IDKFA one where you have to earn all weapon masteries. I have them all for sure and have tried starting a new game and completing an entire level and even restarting my console and nothing. I'm on PS4 by the way if it matters.

Other people are experiencing the same bug.

If you are working on the trophy make sure to make a backup save or two. Also, trophies are popping late (after like 20-40 sec) after attaining them, sometimes even prematurely when the conditions aren't met yet.

A-V-B

Do people like the MP in the full game? Just heard that it wasn't well recieved in the beta.

It's okay. It's not horrible. It gets the job done as something that you can do when you want to play against human beings in a Doom-like setting, and I've spent some hours on it gaining levels. I'm like, level 60 or something (which isn't that big a deal, actually.)

But it doesn't live up to the standards of the single player campaign.

Top Bottom